Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Can you think of any movies where they could've cut about an hour of crap out of it and still have a movie? 'Cause when I do, I immediately think of Michael Cimino.

Deer Hunter

One of the first American movies to critically look at the Vietnam War (I think the first one was Coming Home which came out the same year). It starts with a wedding scene that goes for fifty loving years. Sure, it tells us about the characters, but you could do it in about ten minutes. Ken Miyamoto argues here that it had to be that long but he's full of loving poo poo. I nearly didn't watch the movie because I was waiting for it to start. gently caress off, Ken.

Heaven's Gate

Has a god-drat graduation scene in the beginning which I think literally goes for half an hour (that's a long time to watch people throw paper and dance around trees) and does as much as the wedding scene in Deer Hunter, ie gently caress-all. I don't even care what Miyamoto thinks about this one, I stopped watching after fifteen minutes. You won't do that to me twice, Cimino.

So, post your movies that could've used more editing time here. I haven't seen a super hero movie in a while, but I understand there's a few 'director's cuts' versions of them that didn't need to get made.

Heaven's Gate. Jesus Christ I'm glad I didn't see it - just look at this scene, it looks like loving Plan Nine!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Solaris is admittedly a bit slow-paced and more interested in cinematic criticism than entertainment. If you really want to see Tarkovsky at his most Hollywood you should see Mirror (1975).

• Locked thread