Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
These are not fractals but dumbass woodworkers call them fractals endlessly. I'm setting up a less terrible rig this week to mark some bowls with.

Bad tests with a microwave transformer on hard maple - switching to a 9000v, 30ma neon transformer so it won't instantly murder me when I actually have to position the points:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

they are, but horrible nerds who can't define the equation for the pattern get super pissed off

I mean they have fractal features, but they don't really fit all the characteristics of a fractal.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tom Collins posted:

These are fractals, of course they're fractals. They're not rendered down to an infinite number of iterations, but they don't have to be to display self-similarity independent of scale, which is obviously present just by looking at them. Lichtenstein figures similarly use electricity to burn fractals into polymers or glass.

There are a ton of fractals in nature, again, not "rendered" down to an infinite number of iterations, but still self-similar, including...

• clouds
  • river systems
  • mountain ranges
  • sand dunes
  • plants of every sort
  • fluid dynamics (self-similar down to the Kolmolgorov limit, iirc)
  • biological systems like lungs, blood vessels

They're literally everywhere, man.

I already answered this hours ago you dork. Its got fractal properties, but you can't just remove one of the major features of a proper fractal and still say they are one.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corla Plankun posted:

facts about your posts in this thread:
1. strong opinions about what does and doesnt have fractal properties
2. complete unwillingness to post what properties fractals have

3. Understands normal fuckers will just google it instead of putting that effort into writing bad posts.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It’s like arguing that this 5x4 rectangle is definitely a square, even though it’s missing core features of a square like having equal sides. You can’t just foo foo away the infinite repeatability bit.

• Locked thread