Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

moron izzard posted:

These are not fractals but dumbass woodworkers call them fractals endlessly. I'm setting up a less terrible rig this week to mark some bowls with.

Bad tests with a microwave transformer on hard maple - switching to a 9000v, 30ma neon transformer so it won't instantly murder me when I actually have to position the points:

These are fractals, of course they're fractals. They're not rendered down to an infinite number of iterations, but they don't have to be to display self-similarity independent of scale, which is obviously present just by looking at them. Lichtenstein figures similarly use electricity to burn fractals into polymers or glass.

There are a ton of fractals in nature, again, not "rendered" down to an infinite number of iterations, but still self-similar, including...

• clouds
  • river systems
  • mountain ranges
  • sand dunes
  • plants of every sort
  • fluid dynamics (self-similar down to the Kolmolgorov limit, iirc)
  • biological systems like lungs, blood vessels

They're literally everywhere, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

echinopsis posted:

Ive jerked off on mushrooms before and when I came I saw fractals in my brain does that count

it absolutely does. the blood vessels behind your eyes are fractals, you might have been seeing something inspired by that structure

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

moron izzard posted:

I already answered this hours ago you dork. Its got fractal properties, but you can't just remove one of the major features of a proper fractal and still say they are one.

Sure can, just did

• Locked thread