Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i made fractals but not in a long time

some are 20x20K assembled from a bunch of smaller images

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

that's really cool

many thenks

i have it on a society6 page along with some others https://society6.com/product/overrun-futurescape_print

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
fractals are pretty useless SO FAR; maybe we just haven’t figured out how to use them

like they used fractals for making those antennas to work better. that’s one thing

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

toiletbrush posted:

serious post: a dude I worked with used Hilbert curves to do stress tests of memory modules, it found more random issues than any other tests we had

that’s cool. i can imagine how that could be effective being so squiggly

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

mystes posted:

Please make more. This is seriously cool.

thanks i have color ones too but they aren’t as detailed

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
this video is always a fun and chill journey when im high

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFTeDcJxuXs

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

of course pollock’s work does not intentionally have fractal math integrated into them, and fractal correlations can often be made with random sets of data. this can be said about a lot of paintings though that are not random splatters.

also i’ve been seeing a lot of “fractals = self-similar” but this is not what defines a fractal at all and although it comes up often, it’s not required. it can even have a foundation of being self similar, but it can be mutated as it iterates completely making that characteristic invisible

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

moron izzard posted:

3. Understands normal fuckers will just google it instead of putting that effort into writing bad posts.

disagree. fractals are quite the abstract concept. you can’t explain away fractals in one explanation or equation and it’s very open ended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Doom Mathematic posted:

Fractals have the same level of complexity regardless of how far in you zoom. Fractals are "self-similar" in that a small portion of the fractal is very similar in structure or even identical to the whole, at arbitrary levels of magnification. This is basically the entire, fundamental definition of "fractal". Plants and many other natural structures do display self-similarity to some level of magnification, but you don't have to zoom in too far before you hit e.g. individual molecules and atoms, and what do you know, they no longer look like the whole fern frond/leaf back/whatever. So they aren't fractal, they just have a few levels of self-similarity/recursion going on.

"A fractal which is not rendered down to an infinite level of magnification" is a roundabout way of saying "a non-fractal". There are no fractals in nature.

haha very wrong

e: fractals are often used to describe naturally occurring phenomena hth

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 1, 2018

• Locked thread