Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I've bounced off this a few times and am definitely more into it now that there's more polish but like.. I feel like the devs of this, Space Engineers and From the Depths should meet and just steal each other's ideas. They all do parts of this genre really well and if someone successfully combined them I'd just probably play that poo poo for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Less Fat Luke posted:

I've bounced off this a few times and am definitely more into it now that there's more polish but like.. I feel like the devs of this, Space Engineers and From the Depths should meet and just steal each other's ideas. They all do parts of this genre really well and if someone successfully combined them I'd just probably play that poo poo for years.

They have hinted that the next big Empyrion version will have underwater bases and vehicles. So maybe throw Subnautica in there too.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of under water.. I found a crashed Capital Vessel but its 90% under water. I wanted to try to destroy the core and disassemble the ship but working in dirt under water is a huge pain in the rear end. Is there an easier way to salvage this ship?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Explosives.

Note that that option will probably reduce the amount of salvageable material a fair bit.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Explosives.

Note that that option will probably reduce the amount of salvageable material a fair bit.

Eh that doesn't sound to efficient. I wanted to deconstruct the ship blocks so I can use them for a base.

*Edit* Wow this game really starts to take off if you grab some stuff off the modshop. A mining hover vehicle that eats up everything and a small base. Next up is a SV to go out in the verse.

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 20, 2018

LyndaFromHR
Jun 19, 2018

by R. Guyovich
So I might have overshot with 16 slots but: if anyone is using the server, let me know. I’m not very good at administering it yet so I have no idea who joins unless they are on when I’m on.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Started playing this today, after getting my drill and spending forever underground fumbling around getting some materials I attempted to build my first building a spaceship drone thing came right away and destroyed everything I had just built with no explanation. Not feeling this so far.
Edit it seems to follow me when I try to respawn just killing me over and over so I guess I have to start over from scratch?

socialsecurity fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 21, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

socialsecurity posted:

Started playing this today, after getting my drill and spending forever underground fumbling around getting some materials I attempted to build my first building a spaceship drone thing came right away and destroyed everything I had just built with no explanation. Not feeling this so far.
Edit it seems to follow me when I try to respawn just killing me over and over so I guess I have to start over from scratch?

All of those stationary defensive base weapons have a purpose. Make sure your first base has a few minigun turrets to defend from such drone attacks. Alternatively, you can dig into the ground and build it underground, then the drones can't reach you.

If you build a SV before you build a base you can defend against drone attacks even better.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rutibex posted:

All of those stationary defensive base weapons have a purpose. Make sure your first base has a few minigun turrets to defend from such drone attacks. Alternatively, you can dig into the ground and build it underground, then the drones can't reach you.

If you build a SV before you build a base you can defend against drone attacks even better.

I built the base before so I could build the big constructor thing to build the gun, the drone killed me before I could even load stuff into the constructor.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

I built the base before so I could build the big constructor thing to build the gun, the drone killed me before I could even load stuff into the constructor.

Maybe try a prefab base from the workshop? They usually come with guns ready to go, you just need to run inside with materials and make ammo.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Do any of you goons have a good seed number for a world? I've tried four randoms so far and every time all my Capital wrecks are in deep water and I can't get them :(

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

NuckmasterJ posted:

Do any of you goons have a good seed number for a world? I've tried four randoms so far and every time all my Capital wrecks are in deep water and I can't get them :(
The last couple of my new 8.x games have had all the caps under water as well. Maybe that's just the new way it spawns.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Less Fat Luke posted:

The last couple of my new 8.x games have had all the caps under water as well. Maybe that's just the new way it spawns.

Oh well. I started a new map and turned up the AI spawns in hopes of getting more loots but it turns out that every POI is some sort of super fort, with over lapping fields of fire from AA guns and ground cannons. Needless to say I restarted everything again with normal spawns instead of high.

This game gets super neat when you get into space.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Rutibex posted:

They have hinted that the next big Empyrion version will have underwater bases and vehicles. So maybe throw Subnautica in there too.

Does the current version have those marines as functioning NPC's?

I know they're just decoration as of a few major updates ago. But having them would make going solo far more doable in both MP and SP. Plus, actually being able to have a NPC crew would be metal.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm just restarting playing this with friends after a couple years, played about an hour. I'm not a big survival grind guy anymore, like, when I cut down ten trees or so I feel like I should be able to just tag them and go off to do something more interesting, and have them just appear in an inventory when needed for crafting.

Fortunately, my friends are still very enthusiastic about tree-shooting, so I'd like to do some exploring. Which of course, stops happening as soon as a drone sees me. What's good for taking them down and hitting a base, and, is what they are guarding usually fun to explore, or is it generally just a cookie-cutter building with a supply closet in it?

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

doctorfrog posted:

I'm just restarting playing this with friends after a couple years, played about an hour. I'm not a big survival grind guy anymore, like, when I cut down ten trees or so I feel like I should be able to just tag them and go off to do something more interesting, and have them just appear in an inventory when needed for crafting.

Fortunately, my friends are still very enthusiastic about tree-shooting, so I'd like to do some exploring. Which of course, stops happening as soon as a drone sees me. What's good for taking them down and hitting a base, and, is what they are guarding usually fun to explore, or is it generally just a cookie-cutter building with a supply closet in it?

Some of the NPC bases go crazy deep under ground. Like Abandoned Mines with scary creepy crawlers in it.

As I've learned myself you can easily kill a drone with a pistol, just race up under it and pew the red spots. Also; build a drill hover craft and throw a harvester on one side and run trees over with it. No more cutting down trees for biofuel!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cool, a reason to explore. Thanks for the tips, combat’s boring so far and I don’t mind cheesing it.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Another thing you can do is keep a survival tent on you at all times and when you get attacked by not drone thing place it over yourself and shoot things to death with your no ammo tool inside it

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

So, I've got two friends who are very much into the survival sandbox, and two friends (plus myself) who are less so into it, and mainly want to reach into a locker, grab stuff, and go roaming around killing things and causing trouble, and occasionally have to feed ourselves or consider our body temperature.

Thing is, our friends who are into the sandbox, we don't wanna waste their stuff, and they wanna keep their stuff. Already I'm seeing stuff getting separated and locked away, and the end result has always been the same: the hardcore set continue on their path to Randian self-actualization and the rest of us just hang around the base and pose with weapons because the rest of the simulation too readily takes our toys away.

Are there any scenarios that pre-pack what me and my more twitchy chums want to grab-n-go with, while also providing my other friends a sandbox that they can establish a frontier existence with?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Got this game in the steam summer sale and an enjoying co-oping with a friend.

Two questions. Can I disable stamina? Doesn't really and anything but annoyance to the game.

Is there a way we can give access to everything in our faction (ships, lockers, etc) or do we need to manually do it with everything?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Harminoff posted:

Got this game in the steam summer sale and an enjoying co-oping with a friend.

Two questions. Can I disable stamina? Doesn't really and anything but annoyance to the game.

Is there a way we can give access to everything in our faction (ships, lockers, etc) or do we need to manually do it with everything?

I don't think you can disable stamina, but you can disable environmental effects when you start a new game if you don't want to deal with too much "survival".

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Rutibex posted:

I don't think you can disable stamina, but you can disable environmental effects when you start a new game if you don't want to deal with too much "survival".

Hmm I don't really mind the environmental effects, just stamina drain is annoying.

If anyone else picked this up during steam sale and is at a loss this guy is making some pretty good beginner videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or0OrJaDb-w

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I haven't really messed with it but I know you can create a faction and then set various ships and bases ownership to factor, which I'd assume would give full access.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just got this game about a week ago and have been having a blast.

One thing I feel the game needs is a multiturret equivalent for SVs. Hauling my CV to a derelict seems to be a waste of fuel and doing it by hand is monotonous as hell.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Floppychop posted:

I just got this game about a week ago and have been having a blast.

One thing I feel the game needs is a multiturret equivalent for SVs. Hauling my CV to a derelict seems to be a waste of fuel and doing it by hand is monotonous as hell.

It would make more sense to put multiturrets on HVs, like the other harvesting things.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Rutibex posted:

It would make more sense to put multiturrets on HVs, like the other harvesting things.

Hard to make an HV function in space.

I do have a multiturret and drills on my HV.

I'm not asking for exactly a multiturret. A fixed multilaser would be more than adequate.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Floppychop posted:

Hard to make an HV function in space.

Use landing gear, lock it to the outside of your CV in atmo like a sort of limpet turret.

For the love of god DO NOT DISENGAGE THE HV LANDING GEAR LOCK IN SPACE.

You'll regret it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I want gigantic fixed-forward cannon for my CV. Like SV weapons but big.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

I want gigantic fixed-forward cannon for my CV. Like SV weapons but big.

Yeah, some kind of Death Star super weapon that can blow up planets :black101:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Pound_Coin posted:

Use landing gear, lock it to the outside of your CV in atmo like a sort of limpet turret.

For the love of god DO NOT DISENGAGE THE HV LANDING GEAR LOCK IN SPACE.

You'll regret it.

They changed that in the latest patch. You can't use turrets on a docked HV, even drill/multitool. Or did they revert that stupid decision?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Is there any "hard" PVE content that I'd need a combat oriented CV for? It's just some friends and I on a server and debating if it's worth the effort/mats.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Floppychop posted:

Is there any "hard" PVE content that I'd need a combat oriented CV for? It's just some friends and I on a server and debating if it's worth the effort/mats.

There's an alien orbital station floating around somewhere on the system map, or at least was in the default multiplayer setup before the last big content patch, and some planets can have patrolling hostile NPC CVs. I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary if all you're planning on is settling on a planet and building your space hippie commune, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared for the higher-challenge planets.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Drake_263 posted:

There's an alien orbital station floating around somewhere on the system map, or at least was in the default multiplayer setup before the last big content patch, and some planets can have patrolling hostile NPC CVs. I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary if all you're planning on is settling on a planet and building your space hippie commune, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared for the higher-challenge planets.

I found an alien orbital station with a warp in point, but it's just a trade station.

I like combat oriented stuff in games, so I guess I'm more asking is there something PVE that I'd need a CV for instead of just a combat SV.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Floppychop posted:

I found an alien orbital station with a warp in point, but it's just a trade station.

I like combat oriented stuff in games, so I guess I'm more asking is there something PVE that I'd need a CV for instead of just a combat SV.

The station I'm talking about is some sort of a hostile pirate hub - you'll know it when you come across it. Also as mentioned, many areas have patrolling CVs that may be just a little too hairy for an SV to deal with.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Floppychop posted:

The AI CVs are deadly enough just because of how accurate they tend to be that you'll want a CV if only for the increased block HP and resilience. Everything aims to destroy your core no matter where it is on your ship, so just having enough thick plating to distribute the AIs accuracy across is very helpful. The drone carrier CV that shows up in space on occasion will absolutely shred a SV to pieces if you try to actually fight it straight up, and that's before it launches the drones.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do you fight using a CV? Just fly past and let your turrets fire away?

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

How do you fight using a CV? Just fly past and let your turrets fire away?

Can do that, or you can get the artillery turret and just pick off their guns from outside the effective AI range (in space only.) Generally AI weapons do less damage, though still plenty, so you basically stock up on really high damage turrets and blow all theirs up before they core you, then deal with the rest at leisure.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

It really feels like SVs at the very least could do with having shields of some kind so that you can fight bases without spending 90% of the fight bobbing and weaving only to still have blocks dented and damaged because you took one or two shots and now you have to spend 20 minutes laboriously going over every inch of the ship with a multitool to repair it

Yes I know the repair block exists but I'd still rather have a shield that can eat 4-5 hits before fizzling out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought the new version had a 'repair to blueprint' button? So you didn't have to manually find all the damage and figure out what blocks should go where.

My biggest problem with SVs was getting the cockpit shot out. Glass isn't very tough, and more than one layer makes it almost impossible to see what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought the new version had a 'repair to blueprint' button? So you didn't have to manually find all the damage and figure out what blocks should go where.

My biggest problem with SVs was getting the cockpit shot out. Glass isn't very tough, and more than one layer makes it almost impossible to see what you're doing.

There's an advanced repair block which does that, but it's like level 20+

• Locked thread