Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
is this the worst class of the fake Hall of Fame ever

like, when your marquee name is Goldberg shits bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Goldberg is super famous and popular. He's a pretty good marquee name.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Karmine posted:

Goldberg is super famous and popular. He's a pretty good marquee name.

The man's career is collectively about three years and his sole shining moment was being the only thing not bad about main event WCW for a few months

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Well I hate to break it to you but the WWE Hall of Fame is not particularly prestigious. "Marquee" has nothing to do with having a vast and wonderful body of work, it has to do with being famous and popular.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

is this the worst class of the fake Hall of Fame ever

like, when your marquee name is Goldberg shits bad

Better than Warrior.

Goldberg was such a big star in 98 that he was more in demand from media outlets than Austin that year. Austin drew bigger, but Goldberg was a giant star before they beat him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The man's career is collectively about three years and his sole shining moment was being the only thing not bad about main event WCW for a few months

Better than DDP.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Better than DDP.

DDP wasn't the marquee name of his year

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Goldberg was a massive star in one of the biggest money eras in recent history and still drew a ton of buzz when he got brought back last winter. He is more qualified than like 90% of the Hall

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

To be clear, the issue is not Goldberg in the hall of fame. He's totally hof worthy.

It's the fact he is the biggest name they could get for the hall of fame

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

MassRafTer posted:

Better than Warrior.

Goldberg was such a big star in 98 that he was more in demand from media outlets than Austin that year. Austin drew bigger, but Goldberg was a giant star before they beat him.

Keep in mind how big a star Jeff Jarrett was in 2000 as well. Slapnuts merch was everywhere

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To be clear, the issue is not Goldberg in the hall of fame. He's totally hof worthy.

He was a big star in one of the most famous eras in wrestling history sorry that nobody else agreed with your "Goldberg sucked" hot take

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He was a big star in one of the most famous eras in wrestling history sorry that nobody else agreed with your "Goldberg sucked" hot take

That seems a little hyper aggressive of a response for "Goldberg seems a weak pick to headline the hof"

Like, I am not personally insulting you unless you are Goldberg, in which case you have ruined 2 Wrestlemanias you bastard

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Goldberg's last run:
1:25 match against Lesnar
3:21 spent in the Rumble
0:22 match against Owens
4:45 match against Lesnar

Efficient.

(I like Goldberg.)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
goldberg giving himself a concussion in 2017 for absolutely no reason was hilarious

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Goldberg is a better Hall of Fame headliner than Ted DiBiase, Edge, Warrior, and Nash.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He's the biggest star they could put in the Hall of Fame since the Rock isn't going in yet.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

He's the biggest star they could put in the Hall of Fame since the Rock isn't going in yet.

Right, which is why I said it feels weak

Like, we've really got pretty much everyone else in by now huh

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

let be real, the reason the HoF inductees are looking thinner and thinner is because WWE hasn't produced a new star since John Cena. Everyone after Cena have been people that were going to be big deals or already established names. The fact they want to do 5-7 inductees a year with a minimum of posthumous entries(loving stupid) means you're gonna get guys like JJ and Goldberg as they're all that's alive, willing to do business with WWE and not in jail.

Vince Sr's limo driver is in the hall, so there's your validity.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

You think this is bad? Wait until Randy Orton is the highlight of the HoF class.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
http://www.wwe.com/videos/jeff-jarrett-joins-the-wwe-hall-of-fame-class-of-2018

I like how hard they sell him and put him more over as a 6-times IC champ than a 4-times WCW world champ.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Right, which is why I said it feels weak

Like, we've really got pretty much everyone else in by now huh

And he's a bigger star than some of the people they've put in recently. One who just had a really successful run.

He's such a big star that a guy who held a dozen world titles won't be headlining.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Numero6 posted:

http://www.wwe.com/videos/jeff-jarrett-joins-the-wwe-hall-of-fame-class-of-2018

I like how hard they sell him and put him more over as a 6-times IC champ than a 4-times WCW world champ.

In fairness, if you look at the two sets of circumstances, his IC title history is
  • Beating Razor Ramon, holding the title for 94 days, screwjobbing against Bob Holly
  • Re-beating Bob Holly, holding the title for 23 days, losing to Razor Ramon
  • Re-beating Razor Ramon, holding the title for 62 days, losing to Shawn Michaels
  • Beating The Godfather, holding the title for 54 days, losing to Edge
  • Beating Edge, holding the title for 1 day, losing to D'Lo Brown
  • Beating D'Lo, holding the title for 56 days, holding up Vince McMahon for money and losing to Chyna

So only one of those situations was particularly lousy, whereas with the WCW title, it's
  • After the literal WCW canon reboot where all the belts were stripped for no reason, winning the title tournament and losing it to DDP after 8 days
  • Winning the title from WCW World Champion David Arquette in a multi-man cage match he only won after Arquette turned heel, which he lost to Ric Flair after 8 days
  • The title was then immediately stripped by Russo and handed back to Jarrett, which he lost to Kevin Nash in 1 day, who just sort of gave it to Ric Flair
  • ...whom he then beat later that night, finally holding the belt for 41 days before losing it to Booker T

Three of his WCW championship reigns could fit into less than a month, two of them involved the belt being stripped and handed to someone for no reason, and one of them came from David Arquette.

Booker and Steiner were basically the only people who got worth-a-poo poo title reigns in the post-Russo era.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CarlCX posted:

In fairness, if you look at the two sets of circumstances, his IC title history is
  • Beating Razor Ramon, holding the title for 94 days, screwjobbing against Bob Holly
  • Re-beating Razor Ramon, holding the title for 62 days, losing to Shawn Michaels
  • Beating D'Lo, holding the title for 56 days, holding up Vince McMahon for money and losing to Chyna

So only one of those situations was particularly lousy, whereas with the WCW title, it's
  • After the literal WCW canon reboot where all the belts were stripped for no reason, winning the title tournament and losing it to DDP after 8 days
  • Winning the title from WCW World Champion David Arquette in a multi-man cage match he only won after Arquette turned heel, which he lost to Ric Flair after 8 days
  • The title was then immediately stripped by Russo and handed back to Jarrett, which he lost to Kevin Nash in 1 day, who just sort of gave it to Ric Flair
  • ...whom he then beat later that night, finally holding the belt for 41 days before losing it to Booker T

Three of his WCW championship reigns could fit into less than a month, two of them involved the belt being stripped and handed to someone for no reason, and one of them came from David Arquette.

Booker and Steiner were basically the only people who got worth-a-poo poo title reigns in the post-Russo era.

Actually he lost his final WCW title to Hogan when he laid down at Bash at the Beach 2000, that was then stripped from Hogan and he faced Booker for the vacated title that night.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

poo poo, you're right. I was just using the WWE's title history to refresh myself, I had completely forgotten about that insanity. Never mind, all four of them were bullshit.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

within 3 years the word will get out that wwe contacted cm punk about the HoF and he declined and that was the last time they ever do it because Vince dies a couple years later and if you don't know about the personal relationships like I do, Vince was the only one who could stand Phil Brooks. I'm an insider and live in side wrestlers' homes without their knowledge. They don't know about it at all

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure Triple H can't stand Punk if only because Punk openly mocked him for thinking he was better than he really was (which is kinda ironic really, much as I like Punk).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure Triple H can't stand Punk if only because Punk openly mocked him for thinking he was better than he really was (which is kinda ironic really, much as I like Punk).

I get the impression that they hate each other at least in part because of how similar their personalities are, which is not uncommon. However, virtually every criticism Punk lobbed at HHH is accurate from what we've heard and read about the man. HHH is a man with a big ego (by his own admission, both kayfabe and not), and a very thin skinned person at the same time.

One funny thing about your observation is that Paul London once called Punk the HHH of Ring of Honor. Perhaps more accurate then we realized at the time.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

CarlCX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9sqTLR16-I

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

ChrisBTY posted:

You think this is bad? Wait until THE MILLENNIUM MAN Sid Vicious is the highlight of the HoF class.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I get the impression that they hate each other at least in part because of how similar their personalities are, which is not uncommon. However, virtually every criticism Punk lobbed at HHH is accurate from what we've heard and read about the man. HHH is a man with a big ego (by his own admission, both kayfabe and not), and a very thin skinned person at the same time.

One funny thing about your observation is that Paul London once called Punk the HHH of Ring of Honor. Perhaps more accurate then we realized at the time.

Yeah, Punk has quite a few similarities with HHH, but without the bodybuilder mentality that also made HHH into Vince McMahon's favorite son (hell, his favorite child!)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CarlCX posted:

it's worse

he purposefully lost the title to DDP in the cage match because he was jealous of DDP starring in Ready to Rumble
in order to get revenge his plan was the following

Step 1. Lose the title (duh) after Arquette jumped the rail and goaded Bischoff into a match later on that night if Arquette won then DDP would get a title match. (Arquette won)
Step 2. Through in a stupid series of events end up with DDP and David Arquette in a tag match against Jeff Jarrett and Eric Bischoff, with the world title up for grabs. In a tag match.
Step 3. David Arquette wins the title after he spears Eric Bischoff and gets the pinfall
Step 4. Tank Abbott is then fed to David Arquette
Step 5. Arquette turns on DDP at the last minute costing him the title in a triple cage match
Step 6. Chris Kanyon gets splatted on the entrance ramp off the top of the cage for good measure
Step 7. Reveal that it was an elaborate ruse between Jarrett and Arquette to humiliate DDP because the only thing that makes the belt look worse other than purposefully droppping it and giving it to a 150 lb scrub is probably getting beaten in a minute by a Scorpion Death Drop or losing it to a guy who got off a plane 5 minutes ago and beats you in a suit.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Double J Double M A was funny and good.
Jeff "Worlds greatest dad" Jarrett was fun and good.

So it seems by this that Jeff Jarrett is at his funnest and goodest when he is not taken seriously.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

BrigadierSensible posted:

So it seems by this that Jeff Jarrett is at his funnest and goodest when he is not taken seriously.

even Russo's said JJ isn't an rear end kicking babyface. Then lied about saying it. Then started crying and saying he didn't kill Owen Hart. Because that's what Russo does.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Counterpoint: His comedy during his feud with Sting is some of the worst stuff ever.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
A year ago since this while filming the Paige movie
https://twitter.com/WWEColt/status/833897300586008576

Punk left his phone at home while walking his dog supposedly.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

coconono posted:

Then started crying and saying he didn't kill Owen Hart.

That's because he didn't.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Please keep in mind that it's "Hall of Fame" not "Hall of Quality."

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Max Coveri posted:

That's because he didn't.

That's the point. No one asks Vince Russo to talk about Owen Hart's death but he'll do it anyway. And cry about it.

Which based on Russo's pattern of behavior, he most likely hosed with the harness.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

coconono posted:

Which based on Russo's pattern of behavior, he most likely hosed with the harness.

Russo has a pattern of killing people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Russo has a pattern of killing people?

No but in a just world Vince McMahon would be in prison for Owen Hart's death.

• Locked thread