Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

Haven't done either of those yet, now i'm wondering who the most "faceless" president that hasn't been done yet is.

Possibly Benjamin Harrison because I'm pretty sure his only claim to fame is being the grandson of William Henry Harrison and his term being in between the two terms of Grover Cleveland. Hell, I can at least remember Rutherford B. Hayes because of the electoral shenanigans that got him into power. So yeah, my vote is for Harrision or one of the other less-noteworthy so we can have a bit of a cooldown.

I also like how this gets a callback in the Frank Grimes episode.

Benjamin Harrison's been covered, actually. If you check out the OP you can see who has bios and who doesn't--axeil even provided links to the posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Either
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQllBwL8gZc

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Benjamin Harrison's been covered, actually. If you check out the OP you can see who has bios and who doesn't--axeil even provided links to the posts.

There is no link to Benjamin Harrison in the OP, though I don't doubt that he's been covered. Anyways I'd like to learn more about John Quincy Adams, though I could go for Grover Cleveland if a tiebreaker is needed.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Meaty Ore posted:

There is no link to Benjamin Harrison in the OP, though I don't doubt that he's been covered. Anyways I'd like to learn more about John Quincy Adams, though I could go for Grover Cleveland if a tiebreaker is needed.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849787&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=25#post487172338

Here's the direct link to the Harrison post, until I can get axeil to put it in the OP.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Added!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I know the link is fixed but I'm still going to use my joke "See he's so forgettable I forgot we did him already" :haw:

EDIT: also changing my vote to Grover Cleveland

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Cleveland would be good, coming off the "accidental president" it would be cool to cover the only "non-consecutive president."

On the pardon: I take a dimmer view on it in light of the Trump era. I think that calculation, that we needed to let the president get away with whatever crimes he committed without 1) finishing the job of uncovering what they all were and 2) forcing him to suffer consequences for those crimes under the law is precisely why we have seen even more out of control, lawless presidents since then. Reagan, GWB and especially Trump all committed crimes that deserved removal from power and punishment and all (probably) will suffer no punishment for any of it. It set a precedent that stands in the way of us being able to rein in any president from here on out and I'm not sure it gets any better since we re-affirm that precedent all the time.

EDIT

But great write-up as always, Fritz!

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I'm surprised no one's done Andrew Jackson yet, or at least I didn't see an active link for him on the FP.

But for the sake of a breather episode, I'd go with Grover Cleveland.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Gonna leave this open for another day of voting, but I'm hearing a strong Grover Cleveland vibe from folks who've voted. Unless there's a change, I think we're going to end up going there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Are you open to folks like Hanson?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Are you open to folks like Hanson?

Technically not President under the Constitution; doesn't count :colbert:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Let me throw another vote for Cleveland, then.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't really like to interrupt this good thread, but I really enjoy reading about how Abraham Lincoln--a great man--was also a big weirdo.

But more than that, this is my favorite anecdote about his life.

I just love that the emancipation proclaimation isn't worth, like. a token gesture of a ham. This is a specific number of hams. Five hams wouldn't have been enough. but seven hams would have been "too many". too many hams for that. it wasn't like a "seven ham" kind of deal.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Looks like Stephen Grover Cleveland is our winner!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I do like that paragraph from Ford essentially calling Reagan a lazy, stupid, self obsessed jerk who thereby couldn't be a serious president.

God, Ronald Reagan was a literal demon from Hell, sent to this reality to sew chaos and death.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Veryslightlymad posted:

I do like that paragraph from Ford essentially calling Reagan a lazy, stupid, self obsessed jerk who thereby couldn't be a serious president.

God, Ronald Reagan was a literal demon from Hell, sent to this reality to sew chaos and death.

Again it cannot be understated how much 8 years of Reagan and 4 years of HW Bush hosed this country's political compass

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Dear Fritz I request the addition of the following to the Taft effortposts:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1266048518176641025.html?fbclid=IwAR3UVhj0a7oeEwiZHK_mAdyyEesjrCwD9AYnccNcpH3p7l0F4Bp_NjEhMc8

i found this today on my facebook. its a illustrated pamphlet made in japan about grant during his world tour. the assassination of lincoln looks like something out of the ideas of march or a Kurosawa film.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuIGJiqCb8w

I have realized that Reagan, Thatcher, and Jesse Helms, all controversial 80s right-wing figures, suffered dementia or alzheimers at the end of their lives. They suffered the loss of their memories and the memories of their loved ones and all that they had achieved, very very slowly. All of them had a hand in the current chaos we live in, disdaining the poor and the disenfranchised under their watch. These figures did not die answering for their mistakes or misdeeds; rather they died not knowing who they were.

Sometimes, the retribution of karma is a very subtle, devastating thing.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Grouchio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuIGJiqCb8w

I have realized that Reagan, Thatcher, and Jesse Helms, all controversial 80s right-wing figures, suffered dementia or alzheimers at the end of their lives. They suffered the loss of their memories and the memories of their loved ones and all that they had achieved, very very slowly. All of them had a hand in the current chaos we live in, disdaining the poor and the disenfranchised under their watch. These figures did not die answering for their mistakes or misdeeds; rather they died not knowing who they were.

Sometimes, the retribution of karma is a very subtle, devastating thing.

Kissinger is alive, free, and cogent while arguably being responsible for more deaths and misery than anyone in the last 50 years. And he has never been asked to answer for what he did

I doubt it would have been any different for Thatcher and Reagan if they were still around. And I don’t think either of them had a conscience

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

Guys. This thread is so great. It's like taking a history class that actually makes me give a poo poo about these old dead white guys. The anecdotes actually make them somewhat relatable! I really enjoyed reading the FDR bio, he's always been one of my favorite presidents but it's nice to be reminded from time to time JUST HOW MUCH he got done.

Edit: Voting Grover Cleveland, cause I gotta know more about his split terms.

Neitherman fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 1, 2020

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Hi guys,

After the near-death of the forums (and the revelation that their owner was a disgusting, girlfriend-abusing sack of poo poo), I had a bit of a crisis moment and realized that I didn't want all the work I'd done here to die. Consequently, over the last week or so, I've been trying to preserve these biographies in a format that's a bit more long-lasting--writing them in Google Docs, and then converting them to PDF. I'd saved many of the best ones before Jeffrey of YOSPOS swooped in and saved us all.

I've since decided I much prefer writing them in that format. Not only does it make adding images much easier, I can mess with formatting and add a whole bunch of other options to make reading them a much more enjoyable experience. As a result, the next bio, Grover Cleveland, will be exclusively in PDF. I will write it, convert it, post to Dropbox, then drop a link to it here, and you guys can download it and read it in all its glory.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Hi guys,

After the near-death of the forums (and the revelation that their owner was a disgusting, girlfriend-abusing sack of poo poo), I had a bit of a crisis moment and realized that I didn't want all the work I'd done here to die. Consequently, over the last week or so, I've been trying to preserve these biographies in a format that's a bit more long-lasting--writing them in Google Docs, and then converting them to PDF. I'd saved many of the best ones before Jeffrey of YOSPOS swooped in and saved us all.

I've since decided I much prefer writing them in that format. Not only does it make adding images much easier, I can mess with formatting and add a whole bunch of other options to make reading them a much more enjoyable experience. As a result, the next bio, Grover Cleveland, will be exclusively in PDF. I will write it, convert it, post to Dropbox, then drop a link to it here, and you guys can download it and read it in all its glory.

That sounds great, but as a suggestion, maybe include an excerpt (a paragraph or two) with the link to draw attention to it?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

That sounds great, but as a suggestion, maybe include an excerpt (a paragraph or two) with the link to draw attention to it?

I think I could probably make that work.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Hi guys,

I was wondering how sweaty toes was going to affect your presidential bios. Thanks for your work, Fritz; one of the best parts of the forums. Looking forward to reading about Cleveland.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So I wrote a few posts a while back on presidential gravesites. Stopped it because a very close family member passed away suddenly and my heart wasn’t really in it afterwards. Sorry all.

So, here’s some random bits of trivia about lesser-known presidential family or descendants. (In no order)

1.George Washington had an incredibly useless stepson

https://www.ploddingthroughthepresidents.com/2014/01/george-washingtons-stepson-was.html

2. Theodore Roosevelt IV is on a number of environmental think tanks and endorsed John Kasich for back in 2016
Here he is speaking at the RNC in 2000 https://www.c-span.org/video/?158560-1/republican-national-convention-day-2&start=10855 (Starts around 01:17 i think)

3. FDR's grandson James Roosevelt III ,since 1995 has been "co-chair of the Rules and Bylaws Committee of the Democratic National Committee"

4. Herbert Hoover's great granddaughter Margaret is a former Bush White House staffer and LGBT Rights activist. She founded something called the American Unity Fund which is "dedicated to advancing the cause of freedom for LGBT Americans by making the conservative case that freedom truly means freedom for everyone." She also hosts a show on PBS and is friends with the Truman family, which makes sense seeing as Herbert Hoover and Harry Truman were both very close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Hoover

http://americanunityfund.com/

5. William Howard Taft IV worked with Ralph Nader investigating the FTC before serving in various positions in the Nixon, Ford, Reagan, and both Bush administrations. Interestingly he strongly protested the torture of detainees both while in office and after leaving it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Howard_Taft_IV

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A759-2004Jun23.html

quote:

A letter about detainee policy sent in 2002 from the State Department's legal adviser to the Justice Department's deputy assistant attorney general made no attempt at bureaucratic pleasantries.

William H. Taft IV said that Justice's legal advice to President Bush about how to handle detainees in the war on terrorism was "seriously flawed" and its reasoning was "incorrect as well as incomplete." Justice's arguments were "contrary to the official position of the United States, the United Nations and all other states that have considered the issue," Taft said...

Taft, whose role made him the government's principal interpreter of treaties, accused John C. Yoo, the deputy assistant attorney general, in the Jan. 11 letter of preparing advice for Bush based on "wrong" premises. He also said Yoo's idea that Bush could "suspend" U.S. obligations to respect the Geneva Conventions was "legally flawed and procedurally impossible."

"In previous conflicts, the United States has dealt with tens of thousands of detainees without repudiating its obligations under the Conventions," wrote Taft, who was the Defense Department's general counsel from 1981 to 1984. "I have no doubt we can do so here."

He’s currently a Never Trumper.

6. John Tyler's grandchildren are still living quietly at their grandfather's plantation.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/29842/president-john-tylers-grandsons-are-still-alive

7. Gerald Ford son’s Steve was an actor with cameos in Columbo, Starship Troopers, Transformers, and several episodes of various soap operas.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0285885/
He also directed a segment of the 1984 horror anthology Dungeon Master
https://horrornews.net/54184/film-review-the-dungeonmaster-1984/

8. Chester Arthur’s grandson Gavin was "an Ivy League dropout, an Irish Republican Army activist, an experimental-film actor, a commune leader, a gold prospector, a teacher at San Quentin, and a bisexual sexologist/astrologer. An early gay rights activist and a practical prototype for the hippies."
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pgp7mv/this-presidents-grandson-was-more-interesting-than-youll-ever-be

9. FDR’s son James was elected to Congress and was one of the first to denounce McCarthy and HUAAC. He later became an executive of a very shady company called IOS which was under investigation by both the SEC and Switzerland. The charges were dropped by the Nixon administration and James promptly became a staunch conservative, supporting both Nixon’s reelection and Ronald Reagan in the 1980s. FDR’s other son Elliot was involved in a very sleazy Hollywood scandal during the war, he was elected mayor of Miami Beach in the 1960s, (allegedly) attempted to murder the Prime Minister of the Bahamas with his organized crime buddies, and moved to Fascist Portugal, only to flee when the regime fell.

Oh, and someone published a new biography on Benjamin Rush recently, looking forward to reading it.

http://nautil.us/blog/-the-dr-strange-of-the-american-revolution

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 13, 2020

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
A descendent of John Adams was on American Idol. I remember him being a good looking kid with an award winning smile, but kinda forgettable.

https://americanidol.fandom.com/wiki/J.D._Adams

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The current King of Jordan was a guest extra on Star Trek TNG Voyager.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 14, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grouchio posted:

The current King of Jordan was a guest extra on Star Trek TNG.

Voyager. :eng101:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Just lettin' y'all know that Cleveland is still coming. I've been sent back to work, so that cuts into the time I have to write, unfortunately.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Just lettin' y'all know that Cleveland is still coming. I've been sent back to work, so that cuts into the time I have to write, unfortunately.

We'll be reading when you get to it, don't worry :) This thread is fantastic!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Thanks for the great thread!

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Just wanted to chime in as an non-American, this thread is absolutely fantastic. Fritz, you're an excellent writer. Your posts are informative, witty and easy to follow.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
^^ agreed.

And speaking as an American, I would love a thread(s) like this for non-American leaders.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

lifg posted:

^^ agreed.

And speaking as an American, I would love a thread(s) like this for non-American leaders.
Seconded ad infinitum.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Grouchio posted:

Seconded ad infinitum.

Thirded unto entropy (?)

Nice work yo

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Warden posted:

Just wanted to chime in as an non-American, this thread is absolutely fantastic. Fritz, you're an excellent writer. Your posts are informative, witty and easy to follow.

fritz is a fuckin treasure

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
You guyyyyyyys :unsmith:

Makes me feel bad. I'm in the middle of the 1884 campaign for President and I just learned I will need to find a second source on the Maria Halpin affair because the bio I'm using is disgustingly insulting towards her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Hey guys! Guess what?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qk2z0hvd50pggkj/Grover%20Cleveland.pdf?dl=0

Cleveland is done! Since this is the first one in this new format, we're in uncharted waters.

You know the drill: read, let me know what you think, and then shout out some names for who you'd like to see next!

E: Corrected some factual errors in the piece.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 4, 2020