Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

CLEVELAND UPDATE ON THE PREVIOUS PAGE, EVERYBODY!

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Hey guys! Guess what?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwg0g81pz3kjjwl/Grover%20Cleveland.pdf?dl=0

Cleveland is done! Since this is the first one in this new format, we're in uncharted waters.

You know the drill: read, let me know what you think, and then shout out some names for who you'd like to see next!

I only skimmed it for now, but I love the new formatting; all glory to the forums and all that, but the pretty PDF is just much more pleasant of a reading experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

There's a lot more :yikes: about Cleveland than I expected!

A very thorough write-up that was also entertaining. Greatly appreciated, Fritz.
I feel like it might be time for Teddy Roosevelt next? Have we run out of presidents that he's adjacent to & able to somehow surprisingly pop up in the writeups of?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Well one downside of the new format is that I can not open it at work.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Next I want you to do a Canadian PM like Macdonald, Mackenzie King, Laurier or Trudeau Sr.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

oldskool posted:

There's a lot more :yikes: about Cleveland than I expected!

A very thorough write-up that was also entertaining. Greatly appreciated, Fritz.
I feel like it might be time for Teddy Roosevelt next? Have we run out of presidents that he's adjacent to & able to somehow surprisingly pop up in the writeups of?

Pretty much! He was involved in American politics for over three decades worth of Presidents. It's crazy.

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Hey guys! Guess what?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwg0g81pz3kjjwl/Grover%20Cleveland.pdf?dl=0

Cleveland is done! Since this is the first one in this new format, we're in uncharted waters.

You know the drill: read, let me know what you think, and then shout out some names for who you'd like to see next!

On page 34:

quote:

I’ve already touched on the Democratic Party’s troubles on the national stage; they had not won a Presidential election since Martin Van Buren in 1836

Miswrote here, James Buchanan won in 1856

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think given how often he's come up with all the other Gilded Age Presidents, we might as well do Theodore Roosevelt next. Also this was a very good and through read on Pres. Cleveland and I like the new format.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I say buck the trends and do a bit about Debs: The President That Should Have Been

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
That was an excellent effort post. :)

I vote for Teddy, if my vote counts for anything.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Teddy is my favorite president. He also once got shot during a speech in 1912 and kept speaking for 2 hours.

Thus, he has my vote.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

I say buck the trends and do a bit about Debs: The President That Should Have Been

Very much on board for this.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

We should also do a bit on: James Blaine, Henry Clay, Huey Long, Henry Wallace, Thomas Dewey, Al Smith, Robert LaFolette, James Cox, etc

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I'd be down for important leaders that were not presidents. Frederick Douglass let's go.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Can't do the closet of Presidential Losers until we finish the actual Presidents, and I don't know enough about some of the PMs y'all keep suggesting. If anyone else wants to contribute, though, please do!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I've seen three posters request Theodore Roosevelt; unless anyone else has any other suggestions, he's gonna be the guy. I hope you like 500-page epics, cause this dude's life was long and storied.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bully.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Rough Rider.

I miss this thread. :smith:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Teddy's my favorite president and I hope I'm not the only one.

He needs waaaaaaay more biopics made. He was a legit cowboy, unlike the actor John Wayne.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
I gotta admit for all the “Teddy is bold to the point of madness” stuff I was struck by just how smart the guy was too. He may have charged into things without hesitation but it wasn’t without thinking often enough. Also, the fact he went trust busting alone is enough to put him up there as one of our best presidents really.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I'm sorry about the length of time this has taken, guys. Since the last bio was posted, I've gone back to work, and I've started the process of moving in with my girlfriend--so a lot of my time is occupied. Plus, the biography I'm using for reference isn't one I've read yet, so I am hesitant to start using passages from it because I'm weird like that.

In the meantime, I would suggest the following options if you really need a dose of Teddy Roosevelt. If you want the definitive account of his life, then Edmund Morris' trilogy is definitely the one you want. The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt covers his pre-Presidential life, Theodore Rex covers his Presidency, and Colonel Roosevelt covers his post-Presidential life (including his 1912 campaign).

If that's too dense for you, I'd suggest instead T.R.: The Last Romantic, by H.W. Brands. Brands is an excellent biographer--he's written a bunch of other books that I love, including bios of Jackson, Grant and FDR, and even one on Ronald Reagan that is remarkably fair and even-handed. It's the ideal one-volume experience.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Funny enough I literally have just ordered 2 of the 3 books by Edmund Morris on Teddy Rex for this weekend's camping trip.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Gatts posted:

Funny enough I literally have just ordered 2 of the 3 books by Edmund Morris on Teddy Rex for this weekend's camping trip.

They are very good, but they're also very dense, so be prepared.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Just made me think of this thread :3:

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
If the White House had its own long-lived tortoise, we would have lots of black and white pictures of presidents like Roosevelt, Truman and Eisenhower feeding it, petting or smiling happily with it. And then we would have a photo where it would either attempt to bite Trump or flee from him as fast as his little legs could carry him.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I am so sorry, guys. I haven't abandoned you, I promise. I AM going to finish this thread, by hook or by crook.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
You unironically should make a patreon and post this stuff around more because it's a shame you aren't even getting beer money for this.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Herstory Begins Now posted:

You unironically should make a patreon and post this stuff around more because it's a shame you aren't even getting beer money for this.

When you consider that useless talentless hacks like Bill O'Reilly make stupidly embellished "biographies" and get paid for it it's almost criminal that Fritz is doing this for free.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I am so sorry, guys. I haven't abandoned you, I promise. I AM going to finish this thread, by hook or by crook.

No need to apologize, you don't owe us anything, man. :)

I just re-read your effort-posts on Grant and FDR today and they were spectacular.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

When you consider that useless talentless hacks like Bill O'Reilly make stupidly embellished "biographies" and get paid for it it's almost criminal that Fritz is doing this for free.

I do it to share what I know and love with you guys. In fact, if you'd like, I will post the intro I have written for the entry on Theodore Roosevelt as a sneak preview.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I do it to share what I know and love with you guys. In fact, if you'd like, I will post the intro I have written for the entry on Theodore Roosevelt as a sneak preview.

Please do, I'd love to read it.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You have nothing to apologize for. You will still have a willing audience here.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You're not the slowest updater of free content on these forums by any means.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

President chat is goodm I've learned a lot of things from this thread that I appreciate.

I haven't learned about dr. Doctor shoving things up people's asses yet unless I missed that post. But otherwise a fine thread.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

DC Murderverse posted:

Guy ran a presidential campaign while in prison for opposing the United States' entry in WW1, talk about principled.

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
I found this thread while looking for something interesting to read- two months later, I finally got to this point. A fantastic thread that shows that history is a little more animated than previously taught- and i don't know who is a worse "bad penny": TR or Nixon. Guess I'll have to wait for your next installment!

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Fritz you take all the time you need my friend. Just like Richard Marx, we'll be right here waiting for you.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Anyone who's looking for more should listen to the first couple seasons of Slow Burn. I went through the entire show over the last week and learning a lot more about Watergate and Bill Clinton is a Scumbag-gate was very interesting.

it's also very funny because the second season (the Clinton one) is full of Republicans bloviating about the honor of the office of president and how Clinton besmirched it, which is real lol given the last 4 years (but also Bill Clinton is very much a scumbag)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DC Murderverse posted:

Anyone who's looking for more should listen to the first couple seasons of Slow Burn. I went through the entire show over the last week and learning a lot more about Watergate and Bill Clinton is a Scumbag-gate was very interesting.

it's also very funny because the second season (the Clinton one) is full of Republicans bloviating about the honor of the office of president and how Clinton besmirched it, which is real lol given the last 4 years (but also Bill Clinton is very much a scumbag)

yeah. i have listned to it too and its interesting as gently caress. anyway, a dark part of me is sometimes "relived" clinton imploded in 2016 when i read the hosed up poo poo about the clintons(the real stuff not the insane chud poo poo) because while the DNC will still kiss their rear end on some level(through cabinet picks and such) they are never gonna hold any full political power again. and they arnt exactly liked by younger progressives/leftists or even libs/independents. like i am happy that clinton was able to lead the DNC out of the wilderness it had been lost in since carter and earlier but it was a loving monkeys paw to some degree.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

Tried to read the G. Cleveland PDF but got a file not found error! I was so interested to dive into his sordid (maybe?) history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Neitherman posted:

Tried to read the G. Cleveland PDF but got a file not found error! I was so interested to dive into his sordid (maybe?) history.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qk2z0hvd50pggkj/Grover%20Cleveland.pdf?dl=0