Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
OK I might as well get the Hot Takes ball rolling: I would kick LBJ out of the Hall of Fame group and place him all the way down in the Did More Harm Than Good group. He did push forward a progressive social agenda but I'm sorry, with all we now know about the lies told and skullduggery involved in continuing to escalate the Vietnam War, I cannot rank him any higher. Discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Late but re: Ike, no mention of Operation Wetback?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Lincoln.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Correct! When his mother remarried, he was rechristened with his stepfather's name.

I did not know that! Interesting. My vote, if it's still open, is for Slick Willie.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
This is going to be pointless because I'm already outvoted but I want to hear about the man, the legend, the Rough Rider: Teddy "The Bear" Roosevelt.

But I'll look forward to reading about Nixon when that vote becomes official. Thanks for everything so far, Fritz!

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 30, 2019

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
McKinley, please! And thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Cleveland would be good, coming off the "accidental president" it would be cool to cover the only "non-consecutive president."

On the pardon: I take a dimmer view on it in light of the Trump era. I think that calculation, that we needed to let the president get away with whatever crimes he committed without 1) finishing the job of uncovering what they all were and 2) forcing him to suffer consequences for those crimes under the law is precisely why we have seen even more out of control, lawless presidents since then. Reagan, GWB and especially Trump all committed crimes that deserved removal from power and punishment and all (probably) will suffer no punishment for any of it. It set a precedent that stands in the way of us being able to rein in any president from here on out and I'm not sure it gets any better since we re-affirm that precedent all the time.

EDIT

But great write-up as always, Fritz!