Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samurai Sanders posted:

Would it be way too optimistic to think he was an Evangelist preacher from before they were the most powerful destructive force on earth?

edit: oh.

it's unlikely a man who died in 2018 at the age of 99 predated the Council of Nicaea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've said for years that phalanx drill with mock sarissas should replace normie sports in public school. just expand that principle outward: the only weapons allowed in society are big polearms that require both strength and training to use effectively

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lawman 0 posted:

Please pick a fight with Obama you dumb bitch

like obama would or could fight back

e: trump already did, it was called the 2016 election

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lawman 0 posted:

Honestly this might rouse him

lol

jesus

how many times does he have to lie to you and fail you before you get that obama never cared

he was in it for the payout, and he's got that now

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

new kind of cat posted:

good, gently caress that ghoul, i hope he burns in hell (lol there is no afterlife)

hel is a cold, dark place but he's not having fun there regardless

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord of Pie posted:

Build a wall to keep the Florida mans from escaping the sea when climate change hits America's dick and taint like it was Steve Scalise

unless that wall is color-sensitive you just sentenced a whole lot of recent refugee puerto ricans to death

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

new kind of cat posted:

lmao gently caress this kind words bullshit

call him a poo poo eating grifter who contributing to the ongoing poisoning of american religious practice

why would obama do that

why do you expect him to

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord of Pie posted:

Refugees can be chuds too, see: Cubans

if that degree of collateral damage is acceptable to get at the villains of society california and new york should get nuked off the face of the earth a long, long time before florida is walled off

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

brugroffil posted:

I wonder why he felt the need to say anything at all

the same reason he does most things: because he's a poo poo-eating coward, and it would break :decorum: for him to not add a little twinkle to the graham hagiography

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gringostar posted:

a whole lot of kids are going to learn that they don't matter at all

better late than never

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

we're like 15k years removed from wandering around in the wilderness picking bugs off the ground and eating fruit from trees and having tribal orgies every evening

that's barely 2 seconds in evolutionary time, there's still a whole lot of people who instinctively obey the big strongman

the big strongman is a creature of civilization. there were fixed settlements for thousands of years in mesopotamia before agriculture and walled enclosures turned permanent camps into the earliest cities. the settlements were hunter-gatherer societies centered on a ritual and storage area that became, in the urban period, the ziggurats of sumer, but originally were small granary-temples at the center of the settlement. the role of the first priests was to interpret the signs of the gods as evident in nature, and to distribute the goods stored in the temple-granaries fairly. the walls came up when irrigated agriculture and animal husbandry raised population density in the settlements sufficiently that they began needing to fight neighboring groups over limited water resources and adjacent grazing areas for early domesticated cattle and goats. it's only after the walls come up that the priests are displaced by hereditary military men as heads of society, leaders for what became never-ending wars between the city states of sumer for land, water, and ultimately domination of the region. the title of those early military dictators-for-life was lugal, which translates literally from the Sumerian as 'big man'

when we were picking bugs off the ground, eating fruit from trees, eating magic mushrooms every day and orgying some nights, our leaders were the old, the wise, and the people who could handle their entheogens. you don't need military strongman leaders if your society's concept of warfare is a few rowdy lads stealing goats and beating each other with sticks now and then. loving strong daddy is a nurture problem, not a nature problem

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

interesting post, thank you

where do I read more about this

start with van de mieroop's A History of the Ancient Near East, ca. 3000-323 BC and follow his footnotes and endnotes to more specialized reading.

kramer's The Sumerians is also good but will have less up to date archaeology, since it was originally published in the 60s or 70s, but i know from experience you'll have a much easier time finding a :filez: copy of it than de mieroop.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

shovelbum posted:

i studied this stuff for 4 years and dont remember as much of it as you guys who are just like mostly computer touchers w passionate hobbies lol

i have a masters in the subject my dude, my thesis was investigating a set of undeciphered cuneiform tablets held at a state art museum

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quotey posted:

did they end up being a shopping list

one of them was a receipt for a disbursement from the government stockpiles at Ur of a single gur (a sumerian measure of weight and volume that was a theoretical cube equal to 'the amount of x substance an otherwise unencumbered donkey can carry on its back) of wort, the precursor to fermented beer, to some guy, for services rendered

from around the 1990s bce

records like that, etched in fired clay, will be among the only surviving evidence of human writing once human civilization's been extinct a few thousand years

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

mormonpartyboat posted:

did u ever find the zodiac killer

the occult side of his MO, taking the lives of others as a pre-mortem human sacrifice to himself in order to secure those sacrifices' souls as slaves in the afterlife, would be instantly recognizable to any ancient mesopotamian man or woman of letters

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

didn't know zizek was getting into acting

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

mormonpartyboat posted:

what did they use as toilet paper

prob not clay tablets

if you were out in the fields you probably used leaves, same as people do living rough now. if you lived in the cities and not rich you washed yourself in the canals that ran through or beside any big sumerian city, like they still do in the big riverrine cities of India. if you were rich you had a slave clean your rear end with water and probably a nice cloth, in a private bathroom with indoor plumbing, though probably not running water, that would have to be brought in by hand from a well.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
the main pro of living in a sumerian city as a poor person was that working people in every neighborhood pooled some of the grain they'd otherwise use to bake bread for their families to turn into beer, that was held in public neighborhood kegs. anybody could come up, tap the keg, and take a pitcher of brew home as long as they contributed some grain to the mash

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

mormonpartyboat posted:

man i wish i had a river to dip my rear end into

that musta been the life

yeah i wish i had a bidet

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

euphronius posted:

it's not that ez esp in big schools

yeah, the easy thing is standing outside the school with their hands in their loving pockets

it might take a little work or, good heavens, a little risk on the part of the officers to do something else, but that's clearly too much to ask from the thin blue line

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

moist turtleneck posted:

i love it when chuds share this poo poo

where's a tornado when you really need one

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

i went grocery shopping and came home to find some old weirdo taking photographs of my house

I came out and confronted him and "what the gently caress are you doing?" and he hands me this and then leaves and drives off

Mueller!!! :arghfist:

oh yeah, that guy was a subcontractor working ~$12 an hour, driving to properties around your county and writing up reports on the houses mueller's contracted to make insurance inspections of

it's a poo poo job, he's working to an awful schedule and has to print off his own reports and such on his own time, working out of his home and his own car, tethered to a coporate structure that gives 0 fucks about the field workers

i hope you didn't give him too much grief, he was only out there because your landlord contracted Mueller

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

why would someone be taking pictures of my house?

in this case, to see whether your rain gutters were still in good repair and/or whether any creepers were growing up the side of the building, that sort of thing

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

yeah now that I know it's for insurance it makes sense, was just weird to come home to see

they're supposed to call the owner of the property before showing up, so presumably they talked to the landlord and the landlord didn't bother to tell you

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

i hope the kids swirlie her all the way to australia

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squizzle posted:

what

im not clicking thernos link, whats his beef here??

either last year or 2016 cernovich tried to make 'vic berger is a pedophile' a meme, accusing him of assaulting his own kids

ever since, vic has relentlessly hounded cernovich, rubbing salt in every wound the last several months have inflicted on him. this is just one more wound, and here comes vic with the salt shaker

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brain Curry posted:

I love Vic as the anonymous source for the sex tape video

pretty sure that was a Decker operation

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

2DCAT posted:

team trupm has gone to bizarre lengths to force me to resign now. In addition to being paid to do nothing, they are now sending me around the country (yay free per diem) to sit around and continue to do nothing,... in an effort to annoy me with TSA lines to the point that i resign?? :thunk:.

So if you live in: SF, San Jose, Sacramento, Tampa Bay, Orlando, Austin, or Boston and would like to drink for free on taxpayers per diem, let me know :suicide:

if you've got a connecting flight in charlotte i know a decent greek place i'd be happy to get drunk and eat lamb at on a weekday on the government's dime

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

CodeJanitor posted:

I am loving how the USA is quickly descending into all of those lovely 80's VHS post-apoc or dystopian hellscape movies with schools covered in chains, metal, graffiti, guns, heavily armored cops, kids that wear all leather and have weapons and teachers that carry shotguns and fog and drugs and cities all dark and broken and everything is poo poo.

just love it
its great
more of that america

it is pretty cool

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

D1E posted:

In another thirty years or so the rest of the world will watch in horror as Americans are shot and killed trying to get over the wall and escape into safety in Mexico.

lol

there won't be cameras rolling in 30 years

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

shovelbum posted:

the hilarious thing is that crime is still droppin

well yeah, most of the violence in society is performed by peace officers or under color of law

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inspector Hound posted:

Yeah, that shooting was particularly scary as gently caress because he was using John Wick gently caress moves to mow through armed cops who knew he was there

interesting thing about that battle: not a single non-cop casualty other than Micah Xavier Johnson himself, whom the cops could not kill themselves but had to resort to remote-detonating a robot. he only shot at cops, and he only hurt cops.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

GobiasIndustries posted:

Only if the TAs get guns too

well *that'll* finally open up some tenure tracks in the industry

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solarin posted:

you're all talking about a predator movie right?

just a normal day in america

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

JHomer722 posted:

I love parks and rec but their attempted rehabilitation of newt loving Gingrich is unforgivable

their weird racist portrayal of venezuela sucked too

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

euphronius posted:

didn't knope have an abuela picture on her desk

she was sexually fixated on Joe Biden

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

euphronius posted:

why is Canada different

while america was getting extremely high on its own supply in the 1940s canada and australia were still appendages of the british empire, which was busy choking on its own blood as it died

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

whats this

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

That DICK! posted:

let me ask you this - did anyone here manage to go through high school without a scandal breaking about the gym teacher loving a student

at my school it was the band teacher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lawman 0 posted:

Those groups don't have guns op.
My greatest fear is having a praetorian guard/janissaries style situation in this country.

so your greatest fear was realized in the 1980s, good job keeping up

• Locked thread