Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I was working on a Clancy drinking game, but I have to think it's probably already been done better somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Point of order: we'd seen the first of the high-profile suicide bombers by this point, in the 1983 Beirut Marine barracks bombing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

hmm

Never read it, but I'm sure Clancy handled a lesbian KGB agent sub-plot with sensitivity and respect

Of course, simply by treating "lesbian" and "KGB agent" as synonyms.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

it's been legit twenty-five years* since I've read this book, but I seem to recall Morris' story being the most compelling of the narratives.

*and by twenty-five, I mean thirty

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

mods change my name posted:

Has anyone read any of the Steven Coonts "Jake Grafton" books? The first book, Flight of the Intruder was ok but I think by the third book the dude was like POTUS or something.

Anyhow I used to love this poo poo when I was like 13. Don't think I could bring myself to read any now.

I read the second one. I was willing to press the "I believe" button on the dude surviving the previous book with no explanation, but the story didn't really reward my trust.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

I was doing a compare and contrast of the F-117 and the 'F-19 Frisbee' (The secret aircraft that is the next major event in the novel), but I've come to the realization that they aren't even remotely related. Clancy must have been vaguely aware that stealth technology existed and perhaps had heard rumours of a new aircraft being developed, but the machine he invented is entirely a product of military fantasy. Unfortunately I'm off to play soldiers for the weekend so I haven't had time to write up that bit.

Well, he didn't exactly invent it. There were hints and whispers for years, and a lot of concept artwork in Aviation Week advertisements. Testors and I want to say Revell(?) both put out F-19 model kits before the book came out. Everyone assumed that the aircraft was a lot more fighter-y than it was revealed to be.

Madurai fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 9, 2018

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The sub sim game based on Red Storm Rising was/is pretty rad. It hits that old-school Microprose sweet spot of just enough detail to be engaging, but not so much as to be stifling.

If you're trying to recapture some of that magic, Cold Waters hits it pretty hard.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

One drink for an exact airspeed being given
One drink for a weapon system working flawlessly on its first combat use

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

The lead F-111 flies up a river, snap shoots off two shrikes which both hit (luckily pre-tuned to the correct frequencies of two different types of radar),

Not only tuned, but the correct selection from the ten different subtypes of Shrike, which could only see in their particular bands.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I was always a little baffled by the Soviet captain being clever with the last-minute turn, the idea that the heeling of the ship would cause the missile damage to be farther from the waterline and thus somehow mitigate the damage. Not that 500 pounds of HE would be enough to put paid to a ship that size anyway, but shipping water would be the least of their problems from the hit.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Red Army was the superior NATO/Warsaw Pact war novel.

Concur.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I haven't read Third World War in a while decades but I suspect is has not aged gracefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

Breezing through 800 pages and never having to think about it again is one thing.

Having to write up the rest of it? I'd rather have Mike Edwards stab me and fall on top of me in a grotesquely sexual position. When I started I thought there'd be lots of stupid right wing nuttery and military ignorance to make fun of but the bits worth mocking are buried under pages of how to operate naval computers.

IIRC, the right wing nuttery doesn't really pick up steam until Clear and Present Danger, when Clancy had grown beyond control of an editor.

• Locked thread