Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Madurai posted:

I haven't read Third World War in a while decades but I suspect is has not aged gracefully.

It's not exactly entertaining.

There's a brief intro narrative about the first combat of the war, but after that it takes a long, long time to get going. We're talking hundreds of pages on (fictional) "White Paper" analysis of third-world economies.

If you make it through that the book gets a lot more engaging. The scenario he postulates seems wonderfully dated now - Iran is our staunch ally, for example, and his take on South Africa (Apartheid) looks quite embarrassing in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Madurai posted:

IIRC, the right wing nuttery doesn't really pick up steam until Clear and Present Danger, when Clancy had grown beyond control of an editor.

I sort of met - more like "was in the same room with and was introduced to" - him in the mid 90's at a Naval History conference; I attended because I was a museum curator at the time.

It was awful. He was utterly full of himself and talking down to everyone, lecturing everyone who would listen to his - views - in a room full of Admirals and PhD historians. They were all such professionals that they were quite polite to him, even though he came off as a fool. It was just embarrassingly ugly. If he wasn't such a fatuous prick I would have felt bad for him.

• Locked thread