Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

One of the reasons why the Mega Buster (a.k.a. charged shot) was a mistake is because it makes the weapons comparatively less useful. Sure, weapons are often more spammable than the charged shot, but they cost energy and rarely do more damage than the buster does. It's no surprise that the NES games with the most fun weapons were the first three.

Well MM2 only really had one weapon.

I'm looking at you Metal Blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

magikid posted:

I guess you can think of the missing slide in the same sort of way, like if everything is avoidable without it then you don't need it anyway. It still feels lacking to not have it though, while leaving out the Mega Buster was an improvement.

(The real reason they're both gone is because Japan loving loves Rockman 2.)

Nah, I think the slide allowed for interesting level designs, while the Mega Buster was just annoying... it was powerful enough that you basically wanted to be charging all the time, and it made weapons less exciting in general since the Mega Buster was good against all enemies.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Natural 20 posted:

Well MM2 only really had one weapon.

I'm looking at you Metal Blade.

The funny thing being that if you pretend that Metal Blade doesn't exist, then lots of other weapons suddenly become viable/useful. Quick Boomerang has a surprisingly useful hitbox and high DPS, kind of like a videogame shotgun. Air Blade has good "above you" coverage that other weapons don't manage. Leaf Shield can hit below you, and also hit enemies slightly above/below normal projectiles, kind of like a slower, longer-ranged Quick Boomerang.

Atomic Fire, Bubble Lead, and Crash Bomb are still pretty garbage though.

And yeah, the slide was cool and good. It allowed for faster-paced and more mobility-oriented boss fights that would have been unfair otherwise.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The funny thing being that if you pretend that Metal Blade doesn't exist, then lots of other weapons suddenly become viable/useful. Quick Boomerang has a surprisingly useful hitbox and high DPS, kind of like a videogame shotgun. Air Blade has good "above you" coverage that other weapons don't manage. Leaf Shield can hit below you, and also hit enemies slightly above/below normal projectiles, kind of like a slower, longer-ranged Quick Boomerang.

Atomic Fire, Bubble Lead, and Crash Bomb are still pretty garbage though.

Leaf Shield was also amazing for any of the segments where you stood on a moving platform, where it did the same job as Jewel Satellite. Air Shooter could kill the Sniper Walker guys in one hit (well, it would take out the legs at least). Bubble Lead could at least kill those spring enemies that traveled on the ground.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Bubble lead was at least handy for finding those fake platforms (after you fell through the first one anyways), but gently caress the designer that said it should be the weapon to kill a flying last boss.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Bubble lead was at least handy for finding those fake platforms (after you fell through the first one anyways), but gently caress the designer that said it should be the weapon to kill a flying last boss.

Eh. After the rest of Wily's castle, that wasn't so bad.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 5: I can't beelieve it

Spiked Death Count: 13

:siren:Voting Is Open:siren:

Please vote your order of preference for the remaining bosses!

E.g

1. Magma Man
2. Tornado Man
3. Concrete Man

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
1. Tornado Man
2. Concrete Man
3. Magma Man

I also think it would be fun to see the DLC stage after you beat the game.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

1. Magma Man
2. Concrete Man
3. Tornado Man

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

1. Concrete man
2. Tornado man
3. Magma man

You should show off the DLC.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'll definitely do Fake man with Tea.

It would take a lot to make me go through Superhero mode and Protoman mode all the way again.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how even if the boss weapons don't fit the boss fight they can still have a notable defensive effect. If only you had your regular buster, too. But that hardly suits a throwback game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Natural 20 posted:

I'll definitely do Fake man with Tea.

It would take a lot to make me go through Superhero mode and Protoman mode all the way again.
Maybe just do one or two of the easier stages (like Galaxy Man's) in each mode so we can see what type of changes were made?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Commander Keene posted:

Maybe just do one or two of the easier stages (like Galaxy Man's) in each mode so we can see what type of changes were made?

Good suggestion!

Tea is away because of unexpected work obligations over the weekend, we'll be doing a session Wednesday that will cover a pair of bosses. The Monday update will be me hilariously trying to deal with the absolute bullshit that is Superhero mode.

Sometimes I wonder how young me could have been this patient.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bonus Episode 1 - Superhero Mode

Spiked Death Count: 13 (Bonuses don't count!)

:siren:Voting Is Still Open:siren:

Please vote your order of preference for the remaining bosses!

E.g

1. Magma Man
2. Tornado Man
3. Concrete Man

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 6 - Almost a Cigar

Spiked Death Count: 13

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the screen frames they've got going. They never really successfully took that art style into the game, did they? The closest they came is, what, Mega Man 8?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah I really like them too, I'll try to switch them up a little bit more as the LP goes on.

You're right that they've never managed to replicate the style though, even though the Archie Comics managed it really well. I feel like a Viewtiful Joe style Megaman could pull it off though.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Please ignore Tea and use the boss weapons more often. Using them is the entire point!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 7 - Ice Levels are the Coolest

Spiked Death Count: 14

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Air Man was in Mega Man 2. He was a giant angry fan.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Mega Man 6 also had a wind man literally named "Wind Man". He was actually designed by fans through a contest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Polaron posted:

Air Man was in Mega Man 2. He was a giant angry fan.

How did I forget this?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Omnicrom posted:

He was actually designed by fans

:lol:

Natural 20 posted:

How did I forget this?

Do you know what it's like to be built this way?
With only the power to push others away?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If I had Item #2 I could reach the other side easily but...

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Natural 20 posted:

How did I forget this?

In addition to Air Man and Wind Man:
Gyro Man in 5 was basically a wind boss
Cloud Man in 7
Tengu Man in 8

Storm Eagle in X1
Storm Owl in X4

Maybe others as well.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

magikid posted:

I guess you can think of the missing slide in the same sort of way, like if everything is avoidable without it then you don't need it anyway. It still feels lacking to not have it though, while leaving out the Mega Buster was an improvement.

(The real reason they're both gone is because Japan loving loves Rockman 2.)

This winds up being where MM10 falls apart for me--MM9 is designed around not having the slide, but since Protoman is an option in MM10 by default it seems to expect you to slide sometimes so it's kind of bullshit.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
Tornado Man's level is the one that stuck with me from all the promotional stuff, even more than Concrete Man's. It has what is possibly the best song in the entire game and the rotating platforms served as a great way to show off how they planned to put some new twists on the retro gameplay. It certainly sold me on Mega Man 9 more than anything I've seen for Mega Man 11 so far at any rate.

By the way, if you don't have Rush Jet, or just don't want to use weapon energy, you can also largely trivialize those red and blue platforms by bunny hopping to stay on top.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Whoof. That fight reminded me a little bit of Doc Robot Quickman, where his two weakness weapons had a giant enduring screen presence if you whiffed on them. Plug Ball works the same way.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Remember how I said that Megaman 2.5D was mediocre? Among other things they inserted Tornado Man's stage, which was probably one of the fangame's worst offenders in a sea of questionable design choices.

And yet somehow they toned it down from the original. :psyduck: The rotating platforms are worse, the fangame blessedly cuts out the hell corridors with ice/spikes/in-your-face enemies, and the rain sections are notably less forgiving.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

NGDBSS posted:

Remember how I said that Megaman 2.5D was mediocre? Among other things they inserted Tornado Man's stage, which was probably one of the fangame's worst offenders in a sea of questionable design choices.

Wow, that "2.5D" is hard on the eyes.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Concrete is not weak to fire either I would imagine. (at video 5 now)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 8 - Damage Boost

Spiked Death Count: 14

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Guys, I think Dr Wily might've been behind this!

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I am reasonably confident that the name of Nike, the Greek goddess of victory, is in fact two syllables

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

SatansOnion posted:

I am reasonably confident that the name of Nike, the Greek goddess of victory, is in fact two syllables

Tea studied classics so I'm going to give him so much grief over this.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
A neat speedrunning trick you can do in magma man is to freeze the death rays with concrete shot and then break them with laser trident. it wastes about as much time as it saves with menu cycling, but the ingame timer doesn't care about menus so ehhh

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

mortons stork posted:

A neat speedrunning trick you can do in magma man is to freeze the death rays with concrete shot and then break them with laser trident. it wastes about as much time as it saves with menu cycling, but the ingame timer doesn't care about menus so ehhh

That's really cool. I'm trying to think of a practical use ingame absent speedrunning but I'm coming up blank.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Always an interesting boss fight when the ground's all staggered like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 9 - Cut in Post Production

Spiked Death Count: 15

• Locked thread