Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's an interesting gimmick for a fight. Losing the tug of war doesn't kill you but the upgraded offense certainly seems threatening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Tea, please keep roasting Nat over his Metroid deficiency.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Glazius posted:

That's an interesting gimmick for a fight. Losing the tug of war doesn't kill you but the upgraded offense certainly seems threatening.

The projectile speed feels a little too slow on it. Tea was able to progress the fight whilst minimally dodging in this case.

Technowolf posted:

Tea, please keep roasting Nat over his Metroid deficiency.

It's not my fault I played Prime first.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
For your useless factoid of the day, you can also jump while using the tornado weapon and it will actually be a boosted jump! For the insanely rare occasion where a. you may want to use tornado blow not to clear a screen and b. rush coil won't cut it. Again, a speedrunning trick mostly, but it can come in handy in helping you skip vertically oriented rooms.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Natural 20 posted:

It's not my fault I played Prime first.
Prime is a really good Metroid game. I suppose I can't fault you if it ruined the others for you.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 10 - Bees vs. Sub

Spiked Death Count: 19

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Previous Megaman games absolutely did have passwords. MM 2-7, I-V, and X1-3 all had password systems, basically up until the Playstation era.

As for bosses I've generally felt (with some exceptions) that fortress bosses aren't that hard. There is the occasional tough fight (Many Yellow Devils, Mecha Dragon, King Flyer), but usually the fact you're guaranteed to have a boss' weakness significantly reduces how hard they are.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Commander Keene posted:

Prime is a really good Metroid game. I suppose I can't fault you if it ruined the others for you.

Prime is absolutely amazing and is to blame for conditioning me into wanting story out of a Metroid game. So when I played Super Metroid, it ended up feeling like it lacked an element that made Metroid for me. Additionally I just got lost and had literally no idea of where to go before getting bored and quitting.

Omnicrom posted:

Previous Megaman games absolutely did have passwords. MM 2-7, I-V, and X1-3 all had password systems, basically up until the Playstation era.

As for bosses I've generally felt (with some exceptions) that fortress bosses aren't that hard. There is the occasional tough fight (Many Yellow Devils, Mecha Dragon, King Flyer), but usually the fact you're guaranteed to have a boss' weakness significantly reduces how hard they are.

Yeah that's very true. I feel like X managed to do a decent job on at least a few of them, I remember the Spider being an utter nightmare when I was younger.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Natural 20 posted:

Prime is absolutely amazing and is to blame for conditioning me into wanting story out of a Metroid game. So when I played Super Metroid, it ended up feeling like it lacked an element that made Metroid for me. Additionally I just got lost and had literally no idea of where to go before getting bored and quitting.
You might find Metroid Fusion more interesting than Super Metroid, then. It's still a 2D side-scrolling Metroid, but the progression is more straightforward and there is more of a plot.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised you weren't fighting that sub underwater. Maybe people were bonking into the spikes too often?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Man looking back at this game and at mega man 10 I can now see how much better the latter was designed in nearly every way. They truly learnt from many of their mistakes in this one. It is definitely more appreciable in the Wily fortress stages, but even the individual stages have this "similar-but-different" quality. Also MM10 doesn't go for cheap shots nearly as much as 9 does, so that automatically makes it better in my book.
I guess you'll see it when you get to it, but I think you'll enjoy yourselves with 10 a lot more than you are 9.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

mortons stork posted:

Man looking back at this game and at mega man 10 I can now see how much better the latter was designed in nearly every way. They truly learnt from many of their mistakes in this one. It is definitely more appreciable in the Wily fortress stages, but even the individual stages have this "similar-but-different" quality. Also MM10 doesn't go for cheap shots nearly as much as 9 does, so that automatically makes it better in my book.
I guess you'll see it when you get to it, but I think you'll enjoy yourselves with 10 a lot more than you are 9.

Let's hope they remembered those lessons for 11.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Hello everyone! As we're getting close to the end of MM9 we've decided we'll open up voting on the boss order for MM10!

We'll be playing through as Mega Man again if that helps inform your choice.

Please input your top three favourites in this format:

1. Blade Man
2. Solar Man
3. Sheep Man

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

1. Blade Man
  2. Sheep Man
  3. Nitro Man

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

If I can vote Sheep Man three times I will. If not?

1) Sheep Man
2) Strike Man
3) Solar Man

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Omnicrom posted:

If I can vote Sheep Man three times I will. If not?

1) Sheep Man
2) Strike Man
3) Solar Man

You can't! No gaming the system!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Aw, I was gonna vote for Sheep Man three times, too. Now I actually have to pick.

1. Sheep Man
2. Blade Man
3. Strike Man

I should add I have no idea which is the easiest or hardest stages so I'm going purely by name.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

1. Sheep Man
2. Blade Man
3. Strike Man

I'm going with this too, also blind since I never played 10, but seem to remember that sheep is pretty easy and blade's weapon is pretty much as OP as any other bladed weapon in a mega man game.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

1. Sheep man
2. Blade man
3. Commando man

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

1) Commando Man
2) Pump Man
3) Sheep Man

I'd say "get the crude jokes out of the way" but the rest are open to bad puns too.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

1) Sheep Man
2) Pump Man
3) Solar Man

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
1. Pump man
2. blade man
3. Sheep man

I want things to be interesting, but not painful.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 11 - The Same Thing Over and Over

Voting is still open and will remain so until Wednesday!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

God drat it Capcom, stop making dumb devil bosses! No one likes them except the old guard at the office who sneer at everyone else for not having been around for the production of Mega Man 1. :megaman: (Mega Man 1 really has not aged well.)

To be less hysterical I can think of one good devil boss, the Rainbow Devil from Mega Man Zero 1. (The key difference is that you're never stonewalled from being able to hit the weak spot, unlike this one in MM9 where it takes close to a minute before you get one shot at it.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm also cool with a devil fight that lets you get multiple shots at the weak point before it closes. Without pause-cheating, anyhow.

Though wow, it seems like you're going to have to burn through a bunch of weapon ammo on the refights.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I don't like 10's weapon set anywhere near as much as 9's, so I'm going to use my votes to maximize suffering this time around (especially since it looks like Sheep Man has the #1 slot locked in):

1. Commando Man
2. Solar Man
3. Blade Man

As for the devil boss in 9, I like it as long as you have access to its weakness. Fighting that thing while low on black hole bomb ammo is terrible though.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Seeric posted:

I don't like 10's weapon set anywhere near as much as 9's

This is my opinion as well. 10 may have better level designs, but 9's weapons are way better, generally more useful, and definitely more fun to use. 10 has an awful lot of gimmicky weapons is what I'm saying.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Omnicrom posted:

This is my opinion as well. 10 may have better level designs, but 9's weapons are way better, generally more useful, and definitely more fun to use. 10 has an awful lot of gimmicky weapons is what I'm saying.
I don't know much about 10, except that Blade Man's weapon is good, and the Thunder Wool sucks.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Commander Keene posted:

I don't know much about 10, except that Blade Man's weapon is good, and the Thunder Wool sucks.

You're correct. Without going way way into details and perhaps spoiling the fun there are maybe 3 weapons (including Blade Man's) in MM10 I'd call broadly useful. Of the rest three have major gimmicks related to aiming you have to deal with in order to deal maximum damage, one is better used as a movement tech than an actual weapon in most cases, and one is thunder wool. There's more than one MM10 weapon that only deals its full damage if you deliberately miss with it.

There's nothing in MM10 as broadly powerful as Black Hole Bomb or as generically useful as Laser Trident or as reliable as Hornet Chaser or with the firing range of Magma Bazooka.

Look forward to it.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
On the opposite side, I'd say that most of the weapons are iterations over 9's that attempt to fix the many ways in which they were completely loving broken. The shield is now very useful offensively and defensively without trivialising the whole screen, the shotgun weapon doesn't eat up its whole energy in two shots to kill stuff, you don't get 2 easy ways out to not deal with everything that is on screen and so on. I'd argue they've gone too far the other way, but there is nothing that you can't get utility out of. Also you don't run out of that nothing as fast.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 12 - We Had a Blast

Voting Remains Open for now as Tea and I were unable to record today. Chances are a bonus will go up Monday and we'll start Megaman 10 a week today.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So how do you feel about Getting Over It (feat. Bennett Foddy)?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Oof, it looks like the Wily stages here have an oddball collection of poor ideas. Mostly for the prior devil boss and for that first Wily phase, in which you have to play tennis and your primary means of doing so is a pea-shooter with minimal vertical coverage. Properly aimed Black Hole Bomb might have done well here but I dunno how the physics for those eggs is coded, and funny enough it's an occasion where having a charge shot is a net good because (in addition to dealing more damage) it has notably more vertical coverage.

Seeric posted:

1. Commando Man
2. Solar Man
3. Blade Man
I have no opinions of my own here, so let's go with this.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 13 - Our Favourite Weapon

Voting is Closed!

And that my friends, rounds out Mega Man 9. What did you think? We thought the game itself held up pretty well and weirdly enough that we as commentators managed to get better over time.

A bonus episode is coming this Monday, a quick straw poll, would you be most interested in seeing me do more Superhero mode on MM9, running through some of MM2 or running through some of MM3?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I wouldn't mind some more superhero mode, myself.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I would also like to see more Superhero mode, though MM3 sounds good too.

As for Mega Man 9, it's still my favorite game in the series and I think you guys did well during your playthrough. I always wonder if the ending credits sequence with all the robot masters was meant to imply that Dr. Light rebuilt them for good or if it's more of a morbid look back at the "good old days" before they were unceremoniously tossed into the scrapyard and reprogrammed by Wily; MM9's universe is kind of messed up.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Seeric posted:

I would also like to see more Superhero mode, though MM3 sounds good too.

As for Mega Man 9, it's still my favorite game in the series and I think you guys did well during your playthrough. I always wonder if the ending credits sequence with all the robot masters was meant to imply that Dr. Light rebuilt them for good or if it's more of a morbid look back at the "good old days" before they were unceremoniously tossed into the scrapyard and reprogrammed by Wily; MM9's universe is kind of messed up.

Given Concrete Man is chasing Wily around, it's probably afterward, when the whole robot expiration thing was rethought in light of, y'know, current events.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Glazius posted:

Given Concrete Man is chasing Wily around, it's probably afterward, when the whole robot expiration thing was rethought in light of, y'know, current events.
If I know people, a robot uprising over the whole "expiration dates" thing would just make people more convinced that the whole mess was justified. "These robots were past their expiration dates and tried to kill us, so they must have broken due to overuse. We'd better shorten the expiration dates to make sure this doesn't happen again."

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Bonus Episode 2 - More Superhero mode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It really seems like the Holy Trinity of weapons in this game is the Black Hole Bomb, the Jewel Satellite, and the Laser Trident. Concrete Shot and Tornado Blow are mostly utility (although a screen-clear certainly isn't a bad thing), whereas Magma Bazooka is expensive for its power and Plug Ball is just basically an electric-themed Search Snake and thus kind of bad.

• Locked thread