Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 5 - A Complete Nightmare

Spiked Death Count: 19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Ah yes, I've modified the way I edit sound for this next set of episodes. I think it comes out better overall but I'd appreciate feedback.

There should be fewer background sounds but the cost is we cut off a little more sharply now.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
Commando Man's level is the opposite of Blade Man's in a way. Blade Man doesn't really have a gimmick for the first half of his level while the gimmick in the second half is barely utilized. Meanwhile, Commando Man has a very prominent gimmick used in multiple ways, but I don't think it's very fun to deal with.

As for Rush Jet, it can be used to make this level a lot easier, but you need to start it near a pit that doesn't have bombs popping up; rush jet can outpace the bombs if it's at the very top of the screen. You should also try pressing the attack button a second time while Pump Man's shield is up as it does have a good attack tied to it even if it pales in comparison to Jewel Satellite. Solar Man's weapon might also be my least favorite out of all the weapons in 10. Thunder Wool isn't great, but at least it hits a unique angle and deals good damage while Solar Blaze has mediocre damage in a straight line and the few enemies it works well against aren't particularly dangerous.

I was pretty surprised to see that Commando Man is weak to Blade Man's weapon. There's another weapon which serves as his "true weakness", but 9 and 10 both give a lot of their bosses secondary weaknesses.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Someone needs to address the real problem with this level.

"Commando" Man is clearly wearing briefs.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It seems less like Commando Man was weak to Blade Man's weapon and more like you were hitting him with multiple blades and scoring extra damage that way.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I appreciate what they were trying to do with the sand flow here. I think if you couldn't get bonked and go sailing out of control it might have worked a bit better.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Glazius posted:

I appreciate what they were trying to do with the sand flow here. I think if you couldn't get bonked and go sailing out of control it might have worked a bit better.
You'll never get hired at Capcom with that attitude.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Jewel Satellite still wouldn't have helped against the explosive Up'n'Downs. The problem wasn't that the shield wasn't killing them, it was the explosion was big enough to still hit you.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 6 - Pretty Cool

Spiked Death Count: 22

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 7 - Nitroglycerin is not in cars!

Spiked Death Count: 23

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I counted 2 spike deaths in that video

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Nitro in cars is nitrous oxide. Pure N2O has more Oxygen than air (which, to remind readers, is mostly Nitrogen with a bit of O2 and other stuff mixed in), so when mixed with fuel more of it can burn and thus you get more energy out. Tends to burn out engines as well, they're not built to handle those stresses.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I think the "nitro" in Nitro Man's name refers to nitrous oxide, which is sometimes used in racing vehicles. The little "beep beep!" the robo-trucks and buses made was kind of cute, even if the robo-trucks in particular looked like a pain to dodge. :3: I'm also digging how Nitro Man enters the boss room in his motorbike form. And admittedly it's kind of cheating since they're not the tracks in game, but I think the IST versions of the stage themes actually sound pretty good (Cybersheep's Dream in particular sounds like something out of Megaman X).

fake e: beaten on the nitro thing but gently caress it I'm too lazy to get rid of it

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I like the concept behind Nitro Man's level a lot and the actual execution is decent too, though I constantly confuse it with the airport level from Mega Man Unlimited. Nitro Man's weapon isn't just Wheel Gator's attack either and it has what might be the coolest gimmick of any weapon in the series, though you'll need to experiment a bit to figure out just what that is.

Also, now that you've gone through all the Robot Masters in both 9 and 10, do you plan to do any sort of ranking for the Robot Masters and/or levels?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Seeric posted:

I like the concept behind Nitro Man's level a lot and the actual execution is decent too, though I constantly confuse it with the airport level from Mega Man Unlimited. Nitro Man's weapon isn't just Wheel Gator's attack either and it has what might be the coolest gimmick of any weapon in the series, though you'll need to experiment a bit to figure out just what that is.

Also, now that you've gone through all the Robot Masters in both 9 and 10, do you plan to do any sort of ranking for the Robot Masters and/or levels?

We can definitely do that. I'll try and find a natural point to include it, though I suspect it'll be part of our final episode.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bruceski posted:

The Nitro in cars is nitrous oxide. Pure N2O has more Oxygen than air (which, to remind readers, is mostly Nitrogen with a bit of O2 and other stuff mixed in), so when mixed with fuel more of it can burn and thus you get more energy out. Tends to burn out engines as well, they're not built to handle those stresses.

Nitroman could also be a reference to Nitromethane. Which is what Top Fuel dragsters run off of. The crazy ones that so a .8 second 0-60.
The ones whose engines are made to live only for that glorious 4-5 seconds and either explosively die during or turn into unusable slag by the end of.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Nitroman could also be a reference to Nitromethane. Which is what Top Fuel dragsters run off of. The crazy ones that so a .8 second 0-60.
The ones whose engines are made to live only for that glorious 4-5 seconds and either explosively die during or turn into unusable slag by the end of.

At that point it's less a car and more a single-use rocket.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, those trucks are way too adorable for how deadly they are.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Well, I haven't played Mega Man 10, so I will tune in next time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 8 - Neon Tiger

Spiked Death Count: 24

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Weapons Archive is legitimately one of my favorite all-time Megaman bosses. Each of them has their own weakness, but it doesn't really matter since they're all pretty easy with simple patterns. I always have a blast fighting them.

For reference the bosses are

Elec Man (MM1)
Wood Man (MM2)
Gemini Man (MM3)
Ring Man (MM4)
Napalm Man (MM5)
Flame Man (MM6)
Slash Man (MM7)
Frost Man (MM8)
Tornado Man (MM9)

Also weapon facts: Rebound Striker deals more damage the more times it bounces, Command Bomb deals more damage from the explosion than from the bomb itself (hit down while it's flying to crash it into the floor), and Chill Spike generally does more damage from the spikes on the floor than the initial shot. This is what I meant when I pointed out MM10 has a lot of gimicky weapons.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You guys are complaining that the weapons in MM10 have no ammo capacity, but you keep using them on autofire. Maybe if you shot them one at a time, it would work better.

I have to imagine that the maximum capacity for E-Tanks is more than 9, because otherwise there wouldn't be much point in using a two-digit display number, would there?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You'd think that...

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Omnicrom posted:

Napalm Man (MM5)

Ahh, ok. I thought that was Heat Man (MM2).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 9 - Diagnosis: Swords

Spiked Death Count: 30

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I like the boss(es) of Wily 1 and the unusually atmospheric music at the start, but Wily 2 and 3 both have some serious issues. Wily 2 feels like it goes on forever and a lot of the nonsense they throw at you isn't very fun, especially the surprise bombs. Wily 3 I like the elevator sections, but the underwater cart section is painfully slow and the boss is just awful without its weakness. Congratulations for beating the Wily 3 boss with relatively little difficulty, I hate that thing!

I recently went through most of Mega Man 10 on Hard for the first time and Wily 2 on that difficulty may have been the least enjoyable Mega Man thing I've ever experienced (and I've played X6 and X7). To give an idea, Hard Mode for that level does things like putting the pusher guy at the end of the first room closer to the left side so you need to dodge/destroy the surprise bomb, grab the ladder low enough to not get hit by the pusher's hitbox, and then climb up before a new bomb can drift into you. I ended up using Rush Jet to take the lower path with the E-Tank (W-Tank?) on the ice blocks because that nonsense was somehow easier.

Lastly, I'll say what the "secret" gimmick to Nitro Man's weapon is. If you keep holding down the button Mega Man will hold it out in front of him and if you're against a wall Mega Man will use it to quickly climb upward. It's nice for gaps between tall platforms or for parts like that ladder behind a spike wall in Wily 2. It would be great if you could also use it to basically skip vertical rooms like all the ones in Solar Man's level, but you can't screen transition with it (you need to be on a ladder), so it's ultimately a fun, neat gimmick which doesn't actually help all that much because the level design in Mega Man 10 rarely takes your potential weapons into account.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Tea just standing in the pit, only for you to yell at him to get out of it got a laugh out of me.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Welp, goes to show how wrong I was. I sincerely loved MM10 after 9, I felt like it was better in almost every respect. Instead, it seems like you guys are getting the complete opposite impression of it. Sad to see you're so down on the game, but well, it is what it is.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I will say this. I feel like Tea dislikes MM10 more than I do. But I also feel like I've more classic Mega Man for context in that regard.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, I guess I can see now why so many people found it polarising at the time. But, I do love Mega Man and have played it quite a bit. I have become so used to many of the level design tricks and traps that I sorta forget they exist, but I can see how grating they would be if you don't have quite as many things mapped into muscle memory. Eh, it's all right though, I'm perfectly fine with people not liking the things I like.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

But how can you hate a game with SPORTSBOT.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 10 - We Probably Don't Deserve to Win

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

A clarification: Dick Van Dyke's family were not also doctors. His son was a cop, and his friends were various other doctors (I think one was a ME, another was a junior intern, et cetera). The plot usually involved him poking around things that seemed suspicious while his boss griped about funding, and everyone would discuss crime while drinking tea on the balcony of his amazing beachfront house. One episode I recall had a wealthy donor (thus the hospital's interest) who was dodging murder attempts (thus the cop's interest) from what turned out to be his assistant. They caught the final attempt at the end when Sloane noticed one of the napkins at the fundraiser dinner was perfectly folded like a crane, while all the rest looked sloppy; he'd heard the assistant chewing out the staff for not knowing how to do it properly. It had been soaked in peanut oil, and the donor had a severe allergy (as alluded to earlier with his diamond-studded medic alert bracelet, "when you've just collapsed from an allergic reaction, you want people to notice the explanation why.")

Diagnosis Murder was great.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Games like this remind me why sliding and charged shots were added. You have more mobility and can do more than one damage at a time. Weapon energy being so stingy, actively punishes players who experiment.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski posted:

A clarification: Dick Van Dyke's family were not also doctors. His son was a cop, and his friends were various other doctors (I think one was a ME, another was a junior intern, et cetera). The plot usually involved him poking around things that seemed suspicious while his boss griped about funding, and everyone would discuss crime while drinking tea on the balcony of his amazing beachfront house. One episode I recall had a wealthy donor (thus the hospital's interest) who was dodging murder attempts (thus the cop's interest) from what turned out to be his assistant. They caught the final attempt at the end when Sloane noticed one of the napkins at the fundraiser dinner was perfectly folded like a crane, while all the rest looked sloppy; he'd heard the assistant chewing out the staff for not knowing how to do it properly. It had been soaked in peanut oil, and the donor had a severe allergy (as alluded to earlier with his diamond-studded medic alert bracelet, "when you've just collapsed from an allergic reaction, you want people to notice the explanation why.")

Diagnosis Murder was great.

You are a gentlemen of both class and taste.

I remember being a little young to really sit down and pay attention, but I enjoyed it when it was on.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 11 - Please Be The End

One more episode after this!

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
Nice job on beating the game! As far as being taken by surprise by the true final level goes, having a second skull (or an entirely new castle) is something of a Mega Man tradition to the point that it's generally more surprising when a Mega Man game doesn't have one. Even though I have issues with other parts of 10, I do like the final level quite a lot; the upside-down theme is neat, they give you plenty of tanks for the final boss, the final boss itself is probably one of the better Wily Saucer fights, and its location on the map is clever.

When it comes to Robot Master weapons, I think the main problem is they went overboard trying to give every weapon a gimmick. Half the weapons have two "parts" and get better on the second part (Chill Man, Sheep Man, Commando Man, and Solar Man). Other weapons are also just oddly gimmicky, like being able to ride up walls with Nitro Man's weapon or aim the missiles with Commando Man's weapon. Even the remaining, relatively normal, weapons have odd quirks to them, like Strike Man's weapon dealing more damage after bouncing around. Nothing is as straightforward as Laser Trident, but nothing has the same degree of utility either. I think Mega Man 10 could have taken a lesson from Kirby by including an information page for each weapon to let players know about any extra features.

Your comments on the difficulty of Mega Man needing to remain relatively flat because each non-fortress level needs to teach you new things rather than building on old ones are also interesting. I think some games do have more of a difficulty curve that, for better or worse, players are left to figure out on their own (ex: Galaxy Man and his level are way easier than Tornado Man and his level) and both 7 and 8 actually did divide the levels into two sets of four, though 7 doesn't take advantage of this as much as 8. 10 really does feel like it does a good job of keeping all the levels and bosses relatively on par with each other (with a few exceptions like Blade Man), which makes it tricky to figure out where to start. Sheep Man and Strike Man are probably the easiest of the lot, but even then it's by a thin enough margin that I could just as easily see someone starting off a run on almost any other Robot Master.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Thanks! Obviously Tea's never actually beaten an OG Mega Man game apart form 9 so he didn't know. I've only beaten 2, 4 and 9, of which only 4 had a second castle and that was telegraphed due to the whole multiple Doctors thing. I really did like the theme in the final level, alongside the anti-grav.

I feel like the difficulty Mega Man games have with pacing is something that's a product of time more than anything else when I think on it.

In ye olde days, a single game was expected to last you for a long while and as you can see from the LP we managed to get through both 9 and 10 in around 3 hours of play. But we had a lot of familiarity with 9 and all of you guiding us through a relatively pleasant route through 10. With the early Mega Man games, a kid simply didn't have the same routing knowledge we do now, so the games would naturally be extended as they worked their way around the stages until they found one that was actually doable.

In my case, 7 year old me took a very long time to figure out that Toad Man was the only boss he could actually beat in Mega Man 4.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

So, any consideration towards the extra weapons you can get in Mega Man 10? I forget exactly how it works but maybe through some DLC menu or something you can access new stages and get new weapons from them, something like that - and you can tell that they're there because the wallpaper on your Legacy Collection version has 11 Mega Men using weapons instead of 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 12 - (Epilogue) Back Where we Started

Spiked Death Count: 30 (That is actually a fair bit lower than we anticipated!)

And that my friends is all she wrote!

Thanks so much for watching the LP and commenting and voting along. Tea and I really enjoyed making this and seeing all the interesting tidbits you guys came up with. We would absolutely love to see your stage rankings or failing that just whether you think we're right or wrong!

Additionally, we'll be coming back to Mega Man when Mega Man 11 finally releases, so feel free to look forward to that.

As is seemingly becoming tradition with my LPs we're ending the proceedings with a vote:

Our next LP is set to be a blind run of Super Metroid or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Enough of you expressed disgust at my inexperience in that area and we thought given that there's a single Blind Super Metroid LP and no Blind Symphony of the Night LP on the archive that this would be an area ripe for exploration.

But as ever, we want to leave this to you, so please cast your vote and we'll go with the winner.

Voting will remain open until we finalise a recording date for the new LP. I don't imagine this will be more than a month, but we don't want recording trouble with the late May Bank Holiday.

Please vote by expressing your preferred game in Bold

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 3, 2018

• Locked thread