Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Definitely Super Metroid, I'd love to see a video series of this where someone isn't just impossibly good at the game and abusing the mechanics to all hell. A fresh perspective would be insanely refreshing to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Definitely Super Metroid, I'd love to see a video series of this where someone isn't just impossibly good at the game and abusing the mechanics to all hell. A fresh perspective would be insanely refreshing to see.

If it changes your choice, someone already did that blind recently.

As for me, I would rather see SotN

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Super Metroid please!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 posted:

Episode 12 - (Epilogue) Back Where we Started

Spiked Death Count: 30 (That is actually a fair bit lower than we anticipated!)

And that my friends is all she wrote!

Thanks so much for watching the LP and commenting and voting along. Tea and I really enjoyed making this and seeing all the interesting tidbits you guys came up with. We would absolutely love to see your stage rankings or failing that just whether you think we're right or wrong!

Additionally, we'll be coming back to Mega Man when Mega Man 11 finally releases, so feel free to look forward to that.

As is seemingly becoming tradition with my LPs we're ending the proceedings with a vote:

Our next LP is set to be a blind run of Super Metroid or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Enough of you expressed disgust at my inexperience in that area and we thought given that there's a single Blind Super Metroid LP and no Blind Symphony of the Night LP on the archive that this would be an area ripe for exploration.

But as ever, we want to leave this to you, so please cast your vote and we'll go with the winner.

Voting will remain open until we finalise a recording date for the new LP. I don't imagine this will be more than a month, but we don't want recording trouble with the late May Bank Holiday.

Please vote by expressing your preferred game in Bold

Just quoting this because I managed to snipe the bottom of the page!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Voting Symphony of the Night because I love that game but I've only played the version included with Dracula X Chronicles on PSP, so I'd like to see what would presumably be an LP of the PSX version.

Natural 20 posted:

Prime is absolutely amazing and is to blame for conditioning me into wanting story out of a Metroid game.
Also, based on this comment, I think Nat20 might like Symphony better than Super Metroid.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Symphony of the Night.
There are like 20 Metroid games, but everyone suggests Super Metroid like it is the only one ever made.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

If both of them would be blind, go for Super Metroid. I wouldn't want you to miss half of a game just because you are doing it blind.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BlazeEmblem posted:

If both of them would be blind, go for Super Metroid. I wouldn't want you to miss half of a game just because you are doing it blind.
He does have Tea there to guide him in both cases, from what I gathered.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Natural 20 posted:

Our next LP is set to be a blind run of Super Metroid or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Enough of you expressed disgust at my inexperience in that area and we thought given that there's a single Blind Super Metroid LP and no Blind Symphony of the Night LP on the archive that this would be an area ripe for exploration.

But as ever, we want to leave this to you, so please cast your vote and we'll go with the winner.

Two games, one controller, dual Super Metroid/SotN LP :v:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I vote SotN

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I like playing Super Metroid more, but I think Symphony of the Night would make for a more interesting LP, so I'm giving my vote to that one. Seeing a shift away from ranged combat would be nice and I think some of what makes Super Metroid great is lost in the LP format because you can't quite soak up the atmosphere the way you can when playing it for the first time on your own.

Also, since you asked for our stage rankings, in order of favorite to most hated mine would probably be:

Sheep Man, Galaxy Man, Splash Woman, Hornet Man, Tornado Man, Pump Man, Strike Man, Plug Man, Jewel Man, Nitro Man, Concrete Man, Magma Man, Commando Man, Chill Man, Blade Man, Solar Man

So, they mostly line up fairly well with your own rankings with a few exceptions, particularly Commando Man. I'd also say that the first 5 are ones I'd consider great, then the next 5 are decent, and the final 6 are ones which I consider bad or forgettable.

10 has a lot of great level settings, but Sheep Man's level is one of the few which I feel takes full advantage of it and I love both the colored disappearing block gimmick and the mouse cursor enemies. Sheep Man is also a better fight than Galaxy Man even though I like the latter's design more. Tornado Man I had the most trouble deciding on because his level is a nightmare if you try to go into it early, but I really like how it feels built around giving you a chance to really take full advantage of your weapons - it's almost more like a good fortress level than a Robot Master level. Plus, I like the changing weather and it has what is probably my favorite song between 9 and 10. Strike Man might have my favorite level setting and it has some great sports-themed enemies, but the platforming elements feel lacking.

I think every boss on the list after Nitro Man doesn't have a particularly memorable level with the exception of Commando Man, whose gimmick I simply don't like, though it may be more due to the obnoxious bombs than the gimmick itself. I like the "two-hit" ice blocks in Chill Man's level, but they don't do enough with it and it ends up being one of the most forgettable levels in the whole original series. Blade Man is a terribly balanced boss and, while I like the castle miniboss, the platforms in his level are a boring gimmick made even worse when they show up underwater in Wily 3 right after the checkpoint. As for Solar Man, his level manages to be even more tedious than Blade Man's, he's a frustrating fight if you don't have his weakness (he can block buster shots with the fire on his head), and everything about his level is made worse by the fact that I think a lot of the enemies in it are good in concept and his song is one of my favorites from 10.

Seeric fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 4, 2018

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I'd be pleased to see you present either of those games, but I'm slightly more curious to see how you react to Symphony of the Night

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A proper blind Super Metroid run needs to be streaming with a bunch of Twitch pubbies complaining that you don't know exactly where to go in such a "brilliantly designed" game and jerking off when you die to Spore Spawn.

So do Symphony of the Night.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Alxprit posted:

So, any consideration towards the extra weapons you can get in Mega Man 10? I forget exactly how it works but maybe through some DLC menu or something you can access new stages and get new weapons from them, something like that - and you can tell that they're there because the wallpaper on your Legacy Collection version has 11 Mega Men using weapons instead of 8.

Just as a thing here. If we'd known we would likely have done them before Wily Castle, but we didn't. I might put it in as a bonus while Tea and I arrange our next recording session though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Hope to see it then! But no big deal if you can't fit it in.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Definitely going to have to suggest Symphony of the Night, because that voice acting is hilariously bad and super memorable. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think the tiered unlocks for MM7/8/&Bass were trying to get lexicated. Like, you have an intro stage, and then there's like three-four introductory Robot Masters, and more that unlock after fighting those.

I don't know how well that actually wound up working for anyone, though. Obviously they didn't go back to it for 9/10.

• Locked thread