Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug
My husband and I were watching CNN as they're getting ready for the students vs NRA lady debate. I said there's no reason for a private citizen to own an AR-15. He starts listing "semi-legitimate reasons" for people to own a gun. Such as: an invasion by a foreign enemy. The rest of the conversation went roughly like this:

:j: (Me) That's literally impossible
:haw: (Husband) The impossible can happen! Normandy was supposed to be impossible and the allies pushed Germany back.
:j: Ok cool, but like, the only borders we share are with Canada and Mexico, and then we have huge oceans between us and anyone else
:haw: There's a possibility if our opponent had the sheer numbers to overwhelm the coast.
:j: Lmao wtf we have motherfucking missiles that can go halfway around the world the ships would never make it
:haw: I'm just saying there's a possibilit--
:rant: Not in the modern era!!! There will never be a land war in the US. I will die on this hill.

I feel confident I'm right, but in truth I don't actually know jack poo poo about war and the military. So, I'm turning to the goon hive mind for insight -- is there a scenario in which a land war in the US could happen?

fake edit: ok, so turns out he was playing devil's advocate, but I was too high to understand. Nevertheless, please discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

people can have a war anywhere they want really

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the coast guard does good work but they probably can't drive off a large scale sea invasion by themselves and lol at relying on the navy to do something right.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
There's no point to invading with soldiers on the ground if you can just use ICBMs and then fly in troops at the craters.

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the coast guard does good work but they probably can't drive off a large scale sea invasion by themselves and lol at relying on the navy to do something right.

But why couldn't we just drone strike the boats? I thought we were really good at that.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else get cold called to enter the national guard/reserve/sign up bonus is an actual sign up bonus?

I got like 3 of them in the last 6 months.

Lt Dan Ice Cream
Jul 29, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I hope there's a chance. I want to kill some people that for some reason can't keep up with their lawns around here.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
We own guns to prevent the liberal totalitarian government from enforcing homosexuality upon us

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

anglerfish posted:

My husband and I were watching CNN as they're getting ready for the students vs NRA lady debate. I said there's no reason for a private citizen to own an AR-15. He starts listing "semi-legitimate reasons" for people to own a gun. Such as: an invasion by a foreign enemy. The rest of the conversation went roughly like this:

:j: (Me) That's literally impossible
:haw: (Husband) The impossible can happen! Normandy was supposed to be impossible and the allies pushed Germany back.
:j: Ok cool, but like, the only borders we share are with Canada and Mexico, and then we have huge oceans between us and anyone else
:haw: There's a possibility if our opponent had the sheer numbers to overwhelm the coast.
:j: Lmao wtf we have motherfucking missiles that can go halfway around the world the ships would never make it
:haw: I'm just saying there's a possibilit--
:rant: Not in the modern era!!! There will never be a land war in the US. I will die on this hill.

I feel confident I'm right, but in truth I don't actually know jack poo poo about war and the military. So, I'm turning to the goon hive mind for insight -- is there a scenario in which a land war in the US could happen?

fake edit: ok, so turns out he was playing devil's advocate, but I was too high to understand. Nevertheless, please discuss.

Your husband has the brain disease lots of these people have where they have an intense fetish for imagining they live somewhere weak, small, and under constant existential threat from some big scary something invading.

It's kind of like slumming it, except instead of rich kids pretending to be poor, its the geographically isolated hyperpower imagining that its loving Georgia or Cyprus or something.

So yeah, the very dumbest of all NRA talking points.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

anglerfish posted:

My husband and I were watching CNN as they're getting ready for the students vs NRA lady debate. I said there's no reason for a private citizen to own an AR-15. He starts listing "semi-legitimate reasons" for people to own a gun.

the entire purpose of the second amendment is to make sure citizens can own weapons like what the military uses, meaning that we actually should also have nukes

so you're both wrong, and yes a land war anywhere is possible we're violent apes, way back we even declared war between the north and the south of the same nation

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
The skeleton war is coming

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
If the price of fighting off imagined invaders is the ever growing pile of dead kids, so be it. At least I can sleep soundly at night knowing I haven't let my nation down.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
anything's possible, except a militia of retarded gun collecting doorknob-humpers saving this country from an aggressive military force

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
That;s the one thing thats not possible

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

JakeP posted:

The skeleton war is coming

skeletons have been in every war

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
But how well would a Honda Civic do in a land war in the US?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

VikingSkull posted:

stop trolling idiot this is a serious thread

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Unless like, an invasion of Alaska counts your husband is a moron, and even that is incredibly unlikely.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Supreme Allah posted:

anything's possible, except a militia of retarded gun collecting doorknob-humpers saving this country from an aggressive military force

name/post combo outta control

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Breakfast Feud posted:

If the price of fighting off imagined invaders is the ever growing pile of dead kids, so be it. At least I can sleep soundly at night knowing I haven't let my nation down.

If the kids had guns then it would be piles of dead maniacs

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I really want there to be a clause in American gun law saying you have to belong to an organized militia in order to own guns. Want your assault rifle? Have fun with the Suburban Guard doing laps of the local football field at 5am before work, then meet up with them again in the evening for some drills and shooting practice.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

I side with the skeleton warriors tbh.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Breakfast Feud posted:

*looks up from CNN app on cell phone, unsure of what day it is*

gosh darn...how many kids have to die. oh. like 60 a year. well i can't tolerate this, hey doc could i get a script for anxiety i heard only 52,000 americans a year die from drug use and only 400,000 from burgers

i have absolutely no concept of numbers, frame of reference for reality, and the TV determines my mood. once i turn the TV off the internet takes its job. if only something could poo poo my pants for me

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

extra stout posted:

the entire purpose of the second amendment is to make sure citizens can own weapons like what the military uses, meaning that we actually should also have nukes

All the AR15s in the world won't stop a nuke dropped from the thermosphere.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Who What Now posted:

All the AR15s in the world won't stop a nuke dropped from the thermosphere.

You’re just not a good enough shot :clint:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

extra stout posted:

gosh darn...how many kids have to die. oh. like 60 a year. well i can't tolerate this, hey doc could i get a script for anxiety i heard only 52,000 americans a year die from drug use and only 400,000 from burgers

i have absolutely no concept of numbers, frame of reference for reality, and the TV determines my mood. once i turn the TV off the internet takes its job. if only something could poo poo my pants for me

that fuckin time mickey D's broke into the schools and just straight up burgered a bunch of kindergarteners to death

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Is it worth it having a land war in a country where there are more guns than people?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Split Pea Superman posted:

Is it worth having a land war in a country where there are more guns than people?

what if you need guns

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

extra stout posted:

dying from a burger is a bit less traumatizing and preventable than dying from a school shooting but i'm not sure what level of irony or sarcasm this post is and it's probably going over my head

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

Grape posted:

Your husband has the brain disease lots of these people have where they have an intense fetish for imagining they live somewhere weak, small, and under constant existential threat from some big scary something invading.

It's kind of like slumming it, except instead of rich kids pretending to be poor, its the geographically isolated hyperpower imagining that its loving Georgia or Cyprus or something.

So yeah, the very dumbest of all NRA talking points.

He was trying to explain a right wing talking point, he doesn't actually believe it (I'm faded af and didn't pick up on that). I already had started typing the post when I realized.

extra stout posted:

so you're both wrong, and yes a land war anywhere is possible we're violent apes, way back we even declared war between the north and the south of the same nation

Lol our "well-regulated militia" is like when you're playing endgame Civ and everyone has nukes and you find a barbarian tribe on some island that is still using muskets.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Split Pea Superman posted:

Is it worth having a land war in a country where there are more guns than people?

Wars are pretty famous for having lots and lots of guns, and them falling into lots and lots of hands. Pretty sure war starting people take this part into account.

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
a civil war would probably be a land war with memes mixed in

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

most land wars are internal not external

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Y'know what I'm on board now. Ban guns, let everyone have nukes.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

what if you need guns

Be on good terms with someone who already has some? The same as it's always been.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

anglerfish posted:

He was trying to explain a right wing talking point, he doesn't actually believe it (I'm faded af and didn't pick up on that). I already had started typing the post when I realized.

you thought your husband was just nonchalantly spouting nra talking points and you just kinda rolled with it? lol

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
A conventional invasion of a nuclear power would pretty dumb because of tactical nukes.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

ofc there could be a land war. The Atlantic isn't that big and wwii was fought across the Pacific using islands between continents.

That said, I think it's extremely unlikely and not something anyone really has to live in fear of.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Grape posted:

Wars are pretty famous for having lots and lots of guns, and them falling into lots and lots of hands. Pretty sure war starting people take this part into account.

The majority of people that die in a war are the people without weapons if you really think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Flavahbeast posted:

people can have a war anywhere they want really
theres no fighting in the war room

• Locked thread