Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh yeah, the Fall of The Horsemen is extremely my poo poo. It's just that the season as a whole seemed like kind of a downer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'll usually take an okay season with a 'good' ending over a 'good' season with a blah finish. So I'm okay with the Fiji and the Ghost Island but just kinda 'okay' about HvHvH and MvG. Exceptions apply though; the mid-season ugliness of Koah Rong and Worlds Apart make it hard to go back despite me being down with Michele and Mike as winners.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
You liked Mike Holloway as a winner, but not Ben?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
What Mike did was a lot more impressive than what Ben did.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm not a huge fan of either of them, but I like Mike more. There's always been the possibility of someone making a challenge run to the end, and after 30 seasons, Mike pulled off the greatest one yet. I personally think the fact that he would've gone home if he would've ever been vulnerable is a knock against his social and strategic game, and that Caroline's game was more deserving of the votes, but hey, she didn't get the votes and there isn't really any "deserves" in how jurors end up voting. Ben's win was similar except with an endless supply of idols and an unannounced F4 bail out, which to me pulled things too far away from what really makes the game "go" and thus makes him the least qualified winner we've had. He might be surpassed in that if in the future someone parachutes back into the game at F5 after being voted out the entire time while everyone else has been playing, then wins a single challenge/plays a single idol and makes a fire.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I liked Mike. And he definitely won in a way I find more satisfying than Ben. I think he only had one idol and didn't need the sudden twist of the fire making challenge to save him.

He's not like a top 10 winner or anything. Maybe not even top 20. But I'm still good with him as a winner. Plus who else was there? Don't say Rodney because screw that guy. Will was loving garbage and he still voted for him.

And speaking of Will, Mike was one of, if not the only, people to stick up for Shirin after that food "hoarding" nonsense. Think what you want of Shirin but saying someone has no soul and justifying it by saying "It's true! I'm just stating a fact!" Isn't something she deserved.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fast Luck posted:

He might be surpassed in that if in the future someone parachutes back into the game at F5 after being voted out the entire time while everyone else has been playing, then wins a single challenge/plays a single idol and makes a fire.

lol this nearly happened in South Pacific but our perfect angel Sophie Clarke saved us from this fate

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
At least in game changers he was basically a nothing burger.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've been going back and watching older seasons I haven't seen, having now finished Borneo, Australian Outback, and Africa.

They're fun, but man its so weird seeing people being concerned about stuff that seems so mundane now, like the ethics of simply having an alliance with other players.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It's a lot of fun to watch those seasons in order and watch the progression of the game. It gives you a kind of appreciation why people like Hatch, Boston Rob, and Rob C were so celebrated because they were kind of trailblazers for the modern game who were seeing it in a way very few others at the time were. And you can see guys like Ozzy and Rupert and why they were a lot of fun in their games but just never evolved with the game and became the Survivor equivalent of crotchety old men.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Did Rupert do anything of value after he stole the shoes?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He wore a skirt and fished a bunch. And he had a baby snake? And made Savage both feel better and worse about himself at the same time?

I enjoyed him but I know you're not a fan of those kinds of characters. But my point is that he and Ozzy were very much "old survivor" players who just feel so out of place in the modern game. There's way more of those "experience" players back then the gamers.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I wasn't disagreeing with you, and I liked Rupert at the time, before we got hit over the head with him. OG Ozzy was just great too. We do still get people like Keith Nale who are super likeable and have tons of character but go lighter on strategy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, they still come along. The disliked returning player in ghe spoilers seems like a good example of the general idea, which is why I was surprised the reaction was so negative. The balance has just shifted hard towards gamers and has been there for way longer than it was the other way. So those early seasons are an interesting look at how we got here and where we started.

Like you could probably go through season by season and take the "Survivor Rules" from each one or something. Hatch basically invents alliances. Colby makes the first fatal jury mistake. Etc, etc.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm looking forward to finally seeing the Rupert season because my mom went to Summer camp with him when she was a kid. I remember when his season was recent too, he was on TV and the radio a lot where I lived.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

It's a lot of fun to watch those seasons in order and watch the progression of the game. It gives you a kind of appreciation why people like Hatch, Boston Rob, and Rob C were so celebrated because they were kind of trailblazers for the modern game who were seeing it in a way very few others at the time were. And you can see guys like Ozzy and Rupert and why they were a lot of fun in their games but just never evolved with the game and became the Survivor equivalent of crotchety old men.

HvV Colby was pretty much the definition of crotchety old man. It was amazing seeing his devolution, challenge performance wise.

Adus posted:

He's not like a top 10 winner or anything. Maybe not even top 20. But I'm still good with him as a winner. Plus who else was there? Don't say Rodney because screw that guy. Will was loving garbage and he still voted for him.

Rodney apparently had a lot of friends on the jury (he was actually in a much better social standing than the game showed us) that he was actually a legitimate threat to win.

My only guess is that Dan's continued existence made him the lesser of two evils.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, they still come along. The disliked returning player in ghe spoilers seems like a good example of the general idea, which is why I was surprised the reaction was so negative. The balance has just shifted hard towards gamers and has been there for way longer than it was the other way. So those early seasons are an interesting look at how we got here and where we started.

Like you could probably go through season by season and take the "Survivor Rules" from each one or something. Hatch basically invents alliances. Colby makes the first fatal jury mistake. Etc, etc.

I don't actually mind those kind of characters, I usually prefer them over gamebots. But I'm less of a fan of them as returning characters, because they rarely do anything that interesting. I don't need to see Ozzy being the survival popular guy for the fifth time in a row. J.T. and Malcolm at least switch it up a bit.

That said, I wouldn't really be jumping to see Cirie or Sandra or Zeke again, either. They've had their run. I can't think of many people I want to come back for a third or fourth time at this point - maybe Courtney Yates or Malcolm just because they're fun and usually don't take the game super seriously. But I've always been rather down on 'captain' seasons because it feels kind of lopsided.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 5, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hated Rodney but he seemed like an affable enough guy in that boorish way. Kind of similar to how Dom was coming off early. You roll your eyes and find it kind of obnoxious but he makes you laugh and doesn't really cause much trouble so he charms you. I've known plenty of guys like that.

And I still consider Colby vs Jerri to be one of greatest stories in Survivor history.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ApplesandOranges posted:

HvV Colby was pretty much the definition of crotchety old man. It was amazing seeing his devolution, challenge performance wise.

Stop fighting over the idol. I'm trying to watch a movie. Now give it back to someone not in our alliance.

ApplesandOranges posted:

That said, I wouldn't really be jumping to see Cirie or Sandra or Zeke again, either. They've had their run. I can't think of many people I want to come back for a third or fourth time at this point - maybe Courtney Yates or Malcolm just because they're fun and usually don't take the game super seriously. But I've always been rather down on 'captain' seasons because it feels kind of lopsided.

Three times is enough for anyone. Seeing someone win on their fourth time out when they're with a bunch of people who've played far less would be really anticlimactic. Duh they should have figured this poo poo out by now.

I hope Cirie never comes on Survivor again. Put her on Amazing race or Big Brother or whatever.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 5, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

I hated Rodney but he seemed like an affable enough guy in that boorish way. Kind of similar to how Dom was coming off early. You roll your eyes and find it kind of obnoxious but he makes you laugh and doesn't really cause much trouble so he charms you. I've known plenty of guys like that.

And I still consider Colby vs Jerri to be one of greatest stories in Survivor history.

His shining moment was when he was doing impressions. Otherwise yeah, his whining about never going on a reward would have gotten real old real fast.

I mean, the only people that seemed genuinely nice post-merge were.. Mike, Hali, Joe and Kelly? I guess you could count Fan Favourite Sierra Dawn Thomas for the lack of anyone else.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I don't mind seeing players come back however many times so long as they bring something new to the game each time. For all its faults, Game Changers gave us dominant alliance leader Queen Sandra -- and it was amazing. Even after the final swap, as her new tribe is about to vote her out, they were all like "Jesus Christ, this woman is terrifying." And she was. She really was. :allears:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Propaganda Machine posted:

Did Rupert do anything of value after he stole the shoes?

Rupert took the Pirate theme of his season to the max and also he caught tons of fish and was a provider for the tribe, which was a pretty big thing they focused on with early Survivor.

Also hes a pretty good dude, outside of his returnee seasons.

He was liked well enough that CBS invented the fan favorite to give him a bunch of money.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

He was liked well enough that CBS invented the fan favorite to give him a bunch of money.

they liked boston rob this much too but they just skipped the voting process and instead cast Redemption Island with a bunch of invertebrates

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Spergatory posted:

I don't mind seeing players come back however many times so long as they bring something new to the game each time. For all its faults, Game Changers gave us dominant alliance leader Queen Sandra -- and it was amazing. Even after the final swap, as her new tribe is about to vote her out, they were all like "Jesus Christ, this woman is terrifying." And she was. She really was. :allears:

Yeah, It's kind of funny that the one season she lost the viewers got to see how good she really is.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

garthoneeye posted:

I liked Fiji a lot.
It had a stupid gimmick, but it also was a season with the nice people triumphing over the awful people and it had a solid winner.
I agree it was a little boring with few standout characters, but the fall of the horseman is Top 10 episode material, easily.

In hindsight the gimmick was terrible and arguably unbalanced the game more than anything else we've seen but it was a very entertaining season in spite of that. Plus there's the fact that Yau Man was posting on the forums here for awhile which was really cool.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Nick Offerman was on the Late Show the other night and paid some compliments to Survivor.

"We're huge fans of Survivor. People don't remember, perhaps, that Survivor was the original reality show before they got crappy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybnkq9NsmCI&t=200s

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally going on Blood Water 3 when??

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I think the world is ready for Celebrity Survivor.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Taint posted:

I think the world is ready for Celebrity Survivor.

My body is certainly ready

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Sure, and they can play for charity. I'd go for that. Starve on an island for the betterment of others.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Australia did Celebrity Survivor in our first attempt at a local version. I can't remember much about it but I think it was bad.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Aw yes, Celebrity Survivor. Where they cast people 2 steps above tbe mactors they normally cast and call them celebrities.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Aw yes, Celebrity Survivor. Where they cast people 2 steps above tbe mactors they normally cast and call them celebrities.

You say that like it’s bad.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Retired athletes are better relative stars than the caliber of actor American reality shows can get. Fill a season with Jeff Kent-types. Put Rasheed Wallace on the island, Probst!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Survivor: Football vs Handegg vs Stickpuck - 20 Undrafted/retired recruits desperate for limelight

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

People love Basketball Wives etc. so the logical pitch is Survivor: Blood vs. Water: Sports

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Water sports

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Looking at the cast from celebrity Big Brother, this isn't that far off.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
I know how much everyone wants more Rupert on their tv so you're all in luck! Him and his wife are on the new season of Amazing Race :gonk:

New season just started filming and sounds like it's 5 TAR teams, 3 BB teams, and 3 Survivor teams. Of course all three Survivor teams are terrible - others are Eliza/Corrine and Chris/Bret (from MvGX - why??)

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2018/06/amazing-race-season-31-teams/

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Haha Eliza/Corinne gonna be first out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Tai/Caleb rumor not being true devastates me

• Locked thread