Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not someone who makes pre-show predictions, but yeah, generally if you're the kind of person who goes into the game thinking "I'm just smarter than everyone else" then you're probably not the kind of person who really has the necessary skills to win this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, it is basically the new standard.

"Sure, I'd lie and said my grandma died or destroy people's property for fun but I'd never out someone. That's hosed up."

God help the bastard who sets the next bar.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Um. I don't know. Outright racial slurs or white nationalism as a tribal tactic? Mocking a newly dead relative?

I dunno. Just never doubt man's ability to sink to new lows.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well Big Brother has managed to have "Why don't you kill yourself like you father did?", "That's why your mother abandoned you, because youre trash", and outright racist bullying. So things can always go lower.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm sure some of our bigger Survivor villains probably had some really bad lines we'll never know about. And probably some of our Survivor heroes too. Hell, I'm always a little suspicious when a Big Brother villain goes to Survivor or Amazing Race and comes off better. But who knows?

Those things I remember off the top of my head all made shows and one was on live tv, so Survivors could always sink lower and we see it given time and opportunity. Its a rough thing when we watch shows about pressing people to their edges to show who they are.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I swear I think i might know Domenick. I gotta make some calls.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Has there ever been a shell necklace idol?
You need to steal a set decoration as a talisman.

There was just one last season, right? The one whatsherface had to find in parts.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Bloop posted:

lol when the loving Stick turns out to be a real idol this time

Its gonna be on Ghost Island and then you're gonna have to do something to turn it into a real idol. Its a real "awesome or terrible?" potential.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

How did he end up in this part of the challenge?

This is the tribe led by the Florida Bros.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Does Donathan just not open his mouth when he speaks? Is that the problem?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Theory. His name was supposed to be Jonathon but daddy didn't enunciate either.

Is this offensive? Am I being mean to some group? I'm sorry.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

More subtitles, Survivor.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Did he use his belt as a pot holder? That's drat clever. He's won me over.

I just wish I could understand him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jacob is too much, man.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Codependent Poster posted:

Jacob saw the boobs and couldn't help it

Even the Camera Man couldn't help it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The ladies of the tribe decide to save Jacob because they can control him.

Maybe the most brilliant play in Survivor history.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

James is either laying it on real thick or could use a hug.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Now James is really gonna need a hug.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He still made them eat his foot fungus, so its all even.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We're probably being a bit harsh on him with the Stephanie thing. I mean, he didn't declare his love for her or anything. He was pretty desperate for some game help so it sorta made sense for him to leap at the first lifeline thrown his way.

But you know. I'm just trying to be nice because the goof did so much wrong.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In an unexplained story, what was up with those two randos who voted for James? Don't they know he already hates himself?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They obviously discussed a vote split in case Jacob actually had the idol because they had the numbers.

Ah, that makes sense. I should have realized that.

Poor James.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Donathan's impossible to dislike, Stephanie showed a little game, Domenick was probably too clever by half but if he can tweak that he could be good, and no one's really coming off any worse than "douchey". So its a good enough start. Anyone who would have been gaming hard out the gate was probably going to be a bad player anyway. Maybe we somehow ditched our only gamebot wannabe with Jacob.

Also this cast is silly pretty. Just silly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He could be the story of the season or he could just be a good story for the 3 weeks he's in the game. This is why edit reading is silly because either way you slice it he's a likable guy regardless of when he gets eliminated. All the edit really "tells" me is that the editors liked him as much as we did and he probably doesn't turn out to be an rear end in a top hat racist later.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I sorta almost want to half defend the fake idol thing. I mean... I don't know. It seems like there's some scenario where that could work out where he like offers to share the fake idol and uses it to take Chris out? I don't know. I guess that's a really narrow window at best and it still comes with all kinds of consequences. It was just an odd enough move that he's got me looking for angles I don't see.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its going to be amazing when Ozzy's stick shows up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The biggest warning sign about Domenik seems like that initial thing where he took Probst's bait to say Chris screwed up. Its that sort of thing that will get him in trouble. His personality was sort of presented as off putting but it did seem like Wendell and others actually liked him and it was just the Florida Bros who didn't like him. But we'll have to wait and see.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Man, leave James alone. That dude has some self esteem issues. He hates himself.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm like 80% kidding. And it will only matter if it turns out that other 20% that thinks he might just be the sort of person who really kicks himself when he fails might be true. But its Survivor so he was probably just putting on a show.

As long as he doesn't have to do any more swimming challenges for his tribe.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, he gave me the vibe of the kind of guy who has an idea of how well he's going to play or lead or something and if it doesn't work out he won't handle it well. Not necessarily the sort of brash, arrogant "leader" that Chris came off as. More like the kind of Andrew Savage on Pearl Islands thing where he WANTED to be the great leader and when it didn't work out he took it real hard.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I probably put it wrong. I think I agree with you.

Like, self sure and driven to the point of intractability and inadvertent bluntness?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As someone who can't swim because once upon a time I kinda sorta drowned I can say that in my personal experience "default" is more down... up... down... up... down... up... blackness.

I would not do well on Survivor.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah! Everyone beat my boast of "I'd drown in the first episode"!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, if we're fair then we should realize that its a lot easier to say "you should learn these 20 skills that are always factors on Survivor" than it is to actually do that in a short period of time between starting casting and filming. Like unless you have no fulltime job and a lot of disposable income there's probably only so much you can do even if you try. It would be easier to focus on one or two skills like starting fires and fishing, and stuff like swimming or puzzle solving probably takes time to really get good at and you won't necessarily replicate the actual conditions you'll experience on Survivor.

So I mean, I laugh as much as the next guy who can't swim whenever a Survivor can't swim and it becomes a focus of the show. And I'd definitely try and find a place to practice starting fires if I was cast. But the big picture is probably more complicated.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No, I'm agreeing that its a good idea to be practicing this stuff. I'm just saying that practically speaking its probably a lot easier said than done to go buy a bunch of stuff at the dollar store and put together your own carnival games all in the hopes of preparing for the task of throwing soaked nerf balls 15 feet into a basket or fastball sandbags to knock blocks off a table 20 feet away. Its doable. Its just a full project.

And if you're practicing slide puzzles on your phone, weird carnival games in your living room, taking swimming lessons at Y in the afternoons, and spending weekends camping then you're probably at best just getting mediocre at all of them. Which still is better than the alternative, but like I said, a big rear end project.

Worth it? Sure. But easier said than done.

Big Taint posted:

New career: reality contestant consultant. So, you just got cast on the next season of Survivor? We can help! We’ll take you from a city-slicking leaf-fearing non-swimming couch potato to someone Probst will refer to only by their last name in no time! $500/hr sounds like a lot, until you win that big million!!!!*

*Results not guaranteed

I'm sure a bunch of people have written books and there are people out there already calling themselves it.

Like I'm in New York City. I bet if I looked hard enough I could find someone openly advertising that he or she will train me to be a Survivor.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Awww. Morgan was one of the only people I could identify and kind of liked.

I like quick swaps to make it harder for majorities to cement too quickly. This one might have happened too quick but that result did basically hold with the five not being loyal and scheming their way into getting blindsided and losing their advantage. So I can't complain too much just because I didn't like the result.

Sure I don't really know who is who yet but that wouldn't have been much different next week. We'll probably all be more informed when they swap again, which I gotta figure they will since it was so quick.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 8, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I didn't get any misogynistic vibe as Stephanie and Morgan both seemed to get ok edits and Angela was basically presented as a voice of reason in contrast to Chris and the rest of her tribe.

This feels like the usual "blaming the edit for the actual way things have gone" thing. Jacob, Donathan, Domenick, and Chris have been the people to go to Ghost Island, find powers, and get into heat early on. Its possible there's some Kellyn subplot we missed entirely but just assuming that seems baseless. Besides, its not a GOOD thing that those four guys have been in the spotlight so early. Being the focus so early on is usually a sign of bad gameplay.

In general I find I don't really develop "favorites" for awhile once we've had a chance to weed out the chaff, the bigger personalities all show themselves, and we get to know what most everyone else is doing. We're 2-3 episodes in and I don't usually feel like I know the cast this early so it doesn't strike me as a surprise that I can't name half this cast. That's just kind of standard for me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't watch or listen to the comments in question, but yeah it sounds more like "they tell me to say catchphrases for the TV even when they're just hype and narrative" then "its all a lie and everything is predetermined!"

Obviously most of the time Tribal votes are figured out going in and the discussion with Jeff is just drama or cat and mouse games. Sometimes we see it change up mid Tribal, but that's the exception, not the rule. But Jeff and the show obviously try and make every Tribal feel more exciting and "live."

And Zeke really liked that line from what I can remember and seemed to really enjoy playing to the cameras in Tribal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was a solid bluff. I think I prefer making Bradley Public Enemy #1 to trying to scare them all by making it a mystery. Maybe that could have worked but its a fear tactic and they were going with a trust building move. Its a 50/50 gamble and a lot of it probably depends on tribe dynamics we don't really know. How much did Sebastian and Chelsea really feel outside the group and how much is Bradley really disliked or resented? Its tough for us to say but it was such a toss up gamble that I can't blame Michael for it not working out. He choose a path and did a solid job with it. It just didn't work out.

Brendan's a fine sacrifice as he didn't seem to have a lot to add as the living personification of every high school coach cliche. I found that kind of charming but he didn't seem like he was gonna break out real skills and he was basically intentionally isolating himself as separate from the group. You don't want to be the coach. You want to be the invaluable team player everyone goes to.

Michael and Stephanie seem like potential players so at least they survived one more day.

And we got a villain in Bradley. And he seems the type to really get inflated about winning a close call. Fingers crossed.

Also Chelsea is very, very pretty.

I'm starting to remember people's names and attach identities so that's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh. On a binge I can see it holding up as the Torture of Jenn followed by the Weirdness of Shirin and finally the Battle of Mike. It's got narratives and memorable players. That's more than I can remember from some more recent seasons.

• Locked thread