Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Jacob is a new floor for superfans on Survivor. So, you know, at least he can say he pushed the boundaries of the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The hilarious thing about the cursed legacy advantage is that after getting it, Jacob almost immediately repeats Fan Favorite Sierra Dawn-Thomas's exact mistake, oversharing with someone he should not trust and getting booted from the game. The only difference is that now the legacy advantage has the potential to ruin two people's games! :haw:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
If Bradley thinks he's playing like Boston Rob, he needs to step his game up, because Rob would've fired Michael to Loser's Lodge in a cannon after the poo poo he pulled last week.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I really hope Chris and Dom swap into opposite tribes and both make the merge. I want both of them around as much as possible. I want them on my screen all season.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
As someone who just finished South Pacific, I would just like to say that South Pacific was a loving weird season of Survivor and I kind of loved it. I mean... you don't really see too many burgeoning cults on the show, so...

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Well, a true pre-merge pagonging is certainly something we haven't seen before in Survivor, but somehow the novelty of its position in the season makes it no less frustrating to watch.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
A true pagonging is one tribe voting another tribe out one by one. Ulong wasn't voted out by Koror, they just won all the challenges so Ulong had to vote each other out.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

I hate that I know this, but in her first season she was the last remaining member of her pre-merge tribe after no swaps or anything, the one and only time that's happened. She was brought back the next season and ran the table strategically, but pissed people off and lost to bitter tears.

She lost because she was a brat that almost nobody liked and she took her eye off the ball long enough to let a member of the underdog alliance sneak into the final two with her.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It's pretty easy to tell who is who originally because they started the game in color coded outfits. OG Malolo is dressed in bright warm colors, while OG Naviti is in dark cool colors.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

So did Donathan. Yeah Libby gave Morgan some hope (and her parting remark doesn't help Libby's case) but James was the lynchpin behind the strike on Morgan.

I don't really seen new green tribe losing next week (they're pretty stacked), so odds are either Libby or Michael is going home next week anyway. I imagine there'll probably be an idol found on the green tribe beach too before they merge.

Maximum comedy option; Yanuya tries to throw the challenge so they can vote out Chris, Chris is completely unaware and somehow solo beast modes them to victory anyway.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Dom and Chris are the people around which tribal lines are flexible because they're so concerned with each other, and they keep not going to tribal council.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Zesty posted:

Tribe swaps are, in fact, good.

Tribe swaps, like anything else, need to be done at the right time in the right way. I've seen this brought up elsewhere; if you swap too early (especially on a tribe that hasn't been to tribal council), the pecking order doesn't have time to crystallize in people's minds, meaning people on the bottom don't yet realize they're on the bottom and have no incentive to flip if their tribe gets a majority. Swaps either need to be later or take place after both tribes have gone to TC at least once to be truly effective, otherwise the majority tribe has zero incentive to deviate and you get boring 'sit on the numbers' gameplay.

Lone Goat posted:

If they didn't swap tribes then Malolo would probably keep losing tribe immunity challenges and the end results would be.... a bunch of Malolo going home!

I'd rather see Malolos going home because they can't get their poo poo together as a tribe than because 'gently caress you, we have the majority.'

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
EDIT: Why did this post twice?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Tribal identity is nothing, but people need a reason to realize that. If your tribe blindsides your ally and you are clearly on the bottom, what do you care about voting tribe strong? Without time for the pecking order to become clear, or the ironclad proof of tribal council, people have no reason to vote along anything other than tribe lines. The proof is in the pudding.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Zesty posted:

Tribal Identity is obviously not nothing. If the swap is delayed the weaker social players will get hopelessly stuck to tribal lines.

If you had a swap every episode, people wouldn't default to their original tribe. There would be more incentive to make connections with everyone they meet.

A swap every episode would make the show loving impossible to follow. Tribal identity is nothing because tribes are arbitrary assignments. Richard Hatch said it in season loving one; Rattana, Tagi, Pagong, they're all meaningless. They could be made up words for all anyone knows. They mean only what people attribute to them, and when people realize that-- when they realize they are on the bottom of the pecking order and they _do not have to stay there_, that's when the game gets interesting. We have seen this, repeatedly. But they need a chance to realize that, and that takes either time or tribal.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Bradley acted like a snooty rich kid who attended private school and prior to graduation had literally never spoken to anyone outside of other rich kids and The Help. It was a wholly unique flavor of smarm and I will miss laughing at it every week.

I'm actually starting to worry that the post merge is gonna get really boring once Chris v Dom is settled, because we still have a lot of TV dead weight to sift through. There are going to be entire episodes devoted to voting out Chelsea, Libby, Jenna, Laurel, and Angela, and I am not looking forward to them.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Bradley was talking down and irritating everybody, including Domenick, and there's still half the game left to play.

Strategy is one thing, but if the guy is making you miserable, just go cut him. There are 12 other people to work with.

You can't win a million dollars if you get pulled from the game for physically assaulting another contestant, so if Bradley really is just that loving insufferable, then yes, boot his rear end, and do it now while he is cut off from most of his power base.

Bradley is of course trying to reframe everything in his exit interviews, as you do, saying that Dom felt threatened by him and was worried he would win the game. Which may or may not be true! But then he tries to get into saying he wasn't nearly as annoying as the edit showed him being and I'm just like... dude. Stephanie Johnson said, in basically every single one of her exit interviews, that she literally wanted to poison you while you were in the game together. Rob C brought up a couple of specific things he said and asked him why he said them, and Bradley just tried to laugh it off, saying he doesn't know why he said half of what wound up in the show.

Pssst.

Bradley.

Bradley.

:ssh:It's because you're a prick.:ssh:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
1. Every single person on every beach is looking for an idol every single day. You generally aren't going to see the ones that aren't successful, because they don't matter.

2. There is a significant chance that whatever idol you might be seeking is currently inn somebody else's pocket. Playing an idol doesn't just put it back into play for you, it also puts it back out there for everybody else.

3. The game Kellyn is playing is incompatible with the "stalk him 24-7 to stop him from looking for an idol" strategy. Last season was much less forgivable because it was so late in the game and the lines were so clear. For Kellyn, her whole deal so far has been keeping her tribe strong and discouraging bonds between Us and Them. If you send someone to tail Michael all the time, he is automatically going to get tons of alone time with that person, and it's so early in the game that there's a non-zero chance he could overcome and erase the tribal lines she worked so hard to build.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Chris Noble has given us as television viewers so much more than we deserve. He has fulfilled every hope I had for him in the preseason and then some. He was Chris Noble for every second he graced our screens and he never pretended to be otherwise. He is possibly the best example I've ever seen of a Lovable Douchebag. Insanely overconfident and in love with himself, yet this confidence does not come at the expense of others. Chris Noble does not need to put others down to feel tall. Chris Noble is very tall already. Chris Noble has no hate for anyone. Chris Noble has only love. Love mostly for himself, but also some for you, as well, if you want it.

What a legend. I think I'm looking forward to next week's new Ponderosa now more than the actual episode.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
What a bunch of fun-haters. :colbert:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
You are all probably terrible hangs and I'm glad we're not friends irl. People like myself and Chris Noble are far too sauvé for you plebs. :c00lbert:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
If you don't think they will at least try to bring Chris Noble back, you do not understand how tv works.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Angela is the kind of person who is never going to turn on Naviti until they vote her out in 7th place, no matter how many people warn her about that exact thing happening. She's an old school player of the very worst kind. She'll be super bitter and upset about it, too. Just watch.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It's entirely possible that they accidentally used a copyrighted backing track.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I've been making my way through Blood vs Water, and I would really like to know where the gently caress this new Tyson came from.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Tyson epitomizes "lovable rear end in a top hat." He's an absolute dick, but he's got the charisma and charm to make you like him anyway, and the fact that he's so open about being a dick almost makes you trust him more, to your detriment. Like when he was throwing Aras under the bus to the entire Tadhana tribe while Aras was standing right there and could hear every word he said. No one else could get away with that, but because it's Tyson, everyone kind of accepts and almost expects it. Aras probably just figured it was Tyson being Tyson, and it was, but it also had a gameplay function. That's something he has in common with Sandra; they both, consciously or unconsciously, condition people to expect and accept brash behavior that is beneficial to their games in ways their competition doesn't realize.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Somebody forgot about Russell openly stating that Sandra/Courtney were the next to go when they were sitting two feet away from him.

Except that didn't actually work and he lost to Sandra, so he didn't really get away with it, did he?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I can't remember where I heard this idea, but someone suggested that the winning tribe either comes to a consensus, or THEY draw rocks... and the odd rock personally and publicly chooses who from the losing tribe goes to Ghost Island. Maybe the rest of the tribe agrees with their pick, maybe they don't. Either way, more drama is almost guaranteed.

Likewise, I think that the Ghost Island game of chance should be removed and instead, you pay a one vote penalty for a guaranteed advantage of unknown caliber. Maybe you get an idol, maybe you get an extra vote, maybe you get a useless legacy advantage you have to give away anyway. You don't know, so there's still an element of chance to it. But everything has a price, and you have to choose whether or not you are willing pay it.

Choice is compelling to watch. Chance is not.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just started Cagayan and it's already magnificent. The Luzon tribe has got to be one of the most spectacular tire fires in Survivor history.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Survivor season 36, where good players do smart and interesting things but none of it matters because Kellyn is a loving black hole of good television.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The best explanation I've seen for what is happening at this point is that production is angry at Naviti as a whole for making the game boring, so every Malolo (save Jenna and Libby) gets a huge edit and tons of personal content, while half of Naviti is basically erased from the show. They seem to be saying to future contestants "give us what we want, or else."

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

The Bloop posted:

or else what? The edit matters 0% to whether you win. Fine, edit me out. I'm there for the million bux not TV time

idgi

That's fine if you win, or if you're at least charismatic and entertaining in confessionals, but if you can't pull either of those things, you're going to get erased and/or humiliated and you're not getting another shot. If you play a boring game and lose, you're pretty much getting the worst of all worlds.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
One thing about this episode that I actually enjoyed: "Congratulations, you've found David and Jay's Authentic Fake Idol! It's still fake though. Needs more time in the oven. But feel free to use it to punk somebody else!" I'm sure a bunch of Survivor pundits were whipping out their phones and getting ready to type up another anti-idol Twitter rant before the show pulled the rug out from under them.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Some people actually do just suck at talking to the camera.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Best suggestion I've heard for revamping Ghost Island mechanics is that the winning tribe draws rocks and the odd rock gets to personally choose who goes to Ghost Island. Again, choice.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
At this point, the only question is which of Domenick or Wendell is going to walk this thing into home plate for a ridiculously easy victory. Tom in Palau faced more opposition than these guys did.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Donathan has been possessed by the entire world's frustration at how this season is playing out, and I for one can't blame him. I think he finally realized that Laurel is never, ever going to move against her benevolent overlords and that it's impossible for him to win at this point. If you're gonna lose anyway, you might as well lose dramatically and with gusto.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There is zero chance that Angela is doing anything but voting the way her Naviti commanding officers tell her to, as she has the entire game. Laurel was the only hope of pulling anything off and she's happy with bronze, so gently caress everything basically.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
At this point, the only way to redeem this season would be if Donathan went on an immunity run and ended up in the finals with Dom and Wendell, whereupon he pulls a Sandra and says "look, I tried to get rid of these guys but none of y'all dumbasses would help me" and beats them 4-3-2 because they actually do split votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, this season sucks so much that it's tearing the podcast world apart. Stephen and Rob were practically yelling at each other on the most recent Know It Alls, and David Bloomberg and Jessica Lewis repeatedly went off on twenty minute tangential arguments about Laurel on what was supposed to be "Why Kellyn Lost."

I hope at least both Dom and Wendell make FTC so the winner isn't a completely foregone conclusion, but Ghost Island has consistently found a way to disappoint me since Chris Noble went home, so I'm not holding out too much hope.

• Locked thread