Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Propaganda Machine posted:

And when the curse of the loving stick is reversed, Eliza joins the game and annoys the crap out of everybody.

Eliza should just be a permanent member of the jury on every season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm assuming it refers to the situation in Survivor: Fiji, where half the contestants fought for immunity, sending the remainder to TC immediately with no time to strategize. Michelle was voted out at that TC when one of the contestants implied that he was voting for her and that was enough to send her home 3-2.

The other important element with Michelle was that the major alliances were known at that point and because of the random split it was in both teams interest to lose the challenge and vote off the member of the other alliance who is temporarily on your team.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

It was definitely a mistake of Michael to throw a vote at Wendell instead of Laurell. I suppose its possible (maybe even likely) Kellyn just didn't tell him she was gonna vote for Laurel and he couldn't have known about the extra vote that would have sent her home but he should have made that the play because it was the path of least resistance. Its not a massive, inexcusable mistake but it happened.

Ultimately Micheal made a few mistakes like that through the game but he was just playing against the numbers the whole time and could never break that. Definitely want him back in a few seasons. Once he "matures" he should be a monster.

Kellyn is a mess and she probably blew up a lot of her game pulling that stunt right after last week's stuff. Maybe she can salvage numbers with the B Team but if you're Dom and Wendell you gotta be pissed and her throwing out two votes on Laurel the week after Laurel saves her rear end is a bad look and should be funny in the dark damage control next week. On the other hand she might be goating herself.

How in the world did that split go exactly A Team vs B Team? That's nuts. And yes, I firmly put Donathan on the B Team. He was a mess this episode too and was only overshadowed by Kellyn because he didn't follow through on the dumbass notion of using his idol on Jenna. But good job potentially pissing off a juror by telling her you were gonna do it. It reminded me of a Tai play.

I know it doesn’t work that way because people are emotional creatures, but Jenna cannot justifiably be mad at Donathan when she was gonna snake him.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Fast Luck posted:

What was Jenna thinking voting Donathan anyway? I hate that kind of behavior. She's clearly not part of the Naviti alliance, but there she is doing their bidding for no benefit of her own. Imagine if Donathan had played his idol for her, and her vote took him out! Is it really worth risking that just for the opportunity to show the dominant alliance that you threw your vote their way like a good little spineless bottom dweller? And it's not likely, but maybe if she hadn't been betraying Donathan he would've picked up a better vibe from her and he would have played his idol for her.

I agree. The only time to vote with the majority as a minority alliance member is when you believe the votes are gonna be split and your vote could be the one that saves you or if you have an actual secret in with the majority alliance. Anyone who is willing to work with you isn't gonna decide not to because you didn't just uselessly bend your will to the majority.

The same thing happened earlier when Michael saved himself with his idol. I understand Laurel and Donathan voting with Naviti, but Jenna and Libby absolutely should have been voting with Michael. I don't understand why they didn't unless Michael isn't telling his alliance who he's voting for.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, I could see the argument for getting rid of Jenna before Michael if it was the full merge tribe, but with the split as it happened I think it's too risky to dump Kellyn unless you can engineer it as her getting idoled out.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean now that we've had a less controversial firemaking, I see where they're going with it, in that it makes for a better finale; a Dom/Angela/Laurel F3 would have been a slaughter. But, as quite a few people have pointed out, it utterly punishes the immunity winner and the person they brought along. Wendell looked much better because he won firemaking (as did Ben). Laurel looked like she was dragged to FTC (as did Ryan). That's something they need to figure out, because otherwise it's not really a good thing to win F4 immunity if you're confident in fire.

My problem with the firemaking is it keeps pushing back the necessary alliance numbers for the final. With a final 2 your true alliance could never have majority control until 3 and couldn't even tie until 4, meaning you had to rope in players you plan to cut at some point which adds tension to an alliance. Final 3 pushed that to safe at 5/tied at 6. Now with firemaking you can realistically make a Final 4 alliance that has no need to be suspicious of each other that is safe from 7. I think this will lead to more situations where we have Pagongings because there is less time for bottom alliance members to realize there in a losing situation until its too late.

This of course comes with the caveat that your alliance consists of people who believe they can beat each other at final tribal council, but that's the basis for strong alliances regardless of final tribal numbers.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

santanotreal posted:

I don’t get this. Like, I agree that it was a factor that played against Dom by the jury, but I don’t understand why that was the jury’s way of thinking. Dom made a huge gamble, but also completely played everyone else and tricked them into thinking it was a real idol. It saved him from getting votes that round, and made Sebastian let his extra vote go to waste. By all means, that should be a reason to vote FOR Dom, rather than against.

It was good strategy but bad socially. It made Dom less likable. That’s enough to make the difference in a close decision. Not to mention jurors basically always vote for someone they like over someone they don’t. Strategy matters when you either like or dislike both all of your options.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

The point is I think that Desi never had that plan together. She was trying to pull off a narrow vote with no margin for error without securing the votes. And Laurel had no experience with Desi so she had nothing built in to trust her. I think we gave Laurel slack because the rest of the Malolos went with it, but they were all desperate. Laurel had options none of them had (except Donathan but he correctly realized he was 4th in that alliance).

It's give someone flack to mean to criticize someone.
Cut someone some slack means to interpret their actions more generously, give them some leeway.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm surprised she's never been in the running to come back, has she? Maybe she's just been soured that much by the twist.

Of course, winners of 'eliminated in a dumb twist' have to be those two players that got eliminated right at the start of the game because they weren't chosen for the schoolyard pick. I think that's happened on TAR too (got last in the first challenge, bye).

Fiji is also one of the least liked seasons, so I don’t expect there’s a ton of demand to bring her back even if she wanted to come back.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I liked Fiji a lot.
It had a stupid gimmick, but it also was a season with the nice people triumphing over the awful people and it had a solid winner.
I agree it was a little boring with few standout characters, but the fall of the horseman is Top 10 episode material, easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Spergatory posted:

I don't mind seeing players come back however many times so long as they bring something new to the game each time. For all its faults, Game Changers gave us dominant alliance leader Queen Sandra -- and it was amazing. Even after the final swap, as her new tribe is about to vote her out, they were all like "Jesus Christ, this woman is terrifying." And she was. She really was. :allears:

Yeah, It's kind of funny that the one season she lost the viewers got to see how good she really is.

• Locked thread