Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
My poison is actually Laurel. She's distastefully cocky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

curiousCat posted:

She knows Morgan has the legacy advantage and can maybe use that somehow?

Yeah, that could really pay off on merge day. I'm proud of her for spilling no beans, not even the fake idol for trust building or whatever.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
James is also smart enough that it seems to impede on his social skills somewhat (I don't know why that's even a thing but it's something I've noticed in general). I could see him either flaming out early or having a Spenceresque journey of growth.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
His technique was really bad, yeah. I never took lessons or anything, but he was almost doing bellyflops when he needed to get down head first, so no momentum plus tons of horizontal surface area made for a bad time.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, he gave me the vibe of the kind of guy who has an idea of how well he's going to play or lead or something and if it doesn't work out he won't handle it well. Not necessarily the sort of brash, arrogant "leader" that Chris came off as. More like the kind of Andrew Savage on Pearl Islands thing.

He doesn't strike me as wanting to lead or being too inflexible, more that he'd say really dumb poo poo to people without even realizing what he'd done wrong or second guessing it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

TMMadman posted:

One thing that people seem to forget or are afraid to do is exhale while being underwater. When you hold your breath you tense up and don't release the build up of CO2 in your lungs. That buildup is what is actually making you feel uncomfortable when holding your breath, not a lack of oxygen. On a short dive like in that challenge, you want to hold your breath to start the initial dive and then slowly exhale (or in a few bursts) as you swim down to do the task.

The other problem is that swimming in the ocean IS actually different than swimming in a pool because salt water is more buoyant since it's more dense than freshwater.

Other than that, James should have dived down headfirst. It's very difficult to go down in water without actually facing down unless you can either pull yourself down or have a weight on you. The human body is naturally buoyant, generally speaking, and if you try to sink down feet first and then kick your legs, you are just going to pop right back up again. The way to dive down into the water is to just bend forward and go down. It can actually slightly easier if you kick slightly to pop out a little higher and then bend over to dive down.

Your legs are the main way you propel yourself underwater. Your arms are more for directional/fine control/assistance.

And remember, holding your breath is actually a skill that you can increase through practice, but it's also obviously affected by other things like smoking or asthma or other conditions. The average person can only hold their breath for around a minute.

edit - here's a fun world record: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/longest-distance-swam-underwater-with-one-breath-(open-water)

edit2- the world record for holding your breath: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/longest-time-breath-held-voluntarily-(male)
Otherwise known as a guy floating face down in water for a really long time, but it's kind of neat to watch the end and see the struggle to get that final minute and then the recovery.

Thanks for the reply I didn't have the expertise for. Echoing once again that James had horrible form, even for a novice.

The buoyancy of the human body is important to remember because your lungs are basically gigantic balloons. For example, when I saw Titanic with family as a wee one, my PT aunt was up in arms in the car because Jack actually should have floated; he'd died breathing.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Holy wow is Chris a hot mess.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lone Goat posted:

Weird that they swapped to two 9s instead of three 6s.

I like it. The dynamics on purple right now are a lot more fun than when you have stragglers and pairs languishing on their new tribes of six. And the new oranges from purple are screwed enough with their crappy new camp, it's nice nobody has to start from scratch.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Half the show left with immunity already decided? This'll be fun.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think Dom went on the show with the singular goal of making a fake idol.

I have no idea how people still think they're getting away with that idiocy. People aren't stupid.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lone Goat posted:

lol recorded in 2017 and people still scared of a "Russell type player" cmon son.

Too soon.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Shneak posted:

Morgan going and giving the legacy advantage to Libby, yeah?

And why would she do that? She has to know it was them. Joke's on them for getting rid of their best swimmer though.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
lol Dom gets legacy advantage for his openness and honesty.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

A Typical Goon posted:

Why did the old orange tribe do their own thing and not get rid of Angela? I guess this could split the old purple tribe but it seems more likely that it’ll cause them to team up and make it a 4 and 4 split

Dom freaked them out with idol chat. Since Dom wanted them to vote Angela and James was concerned about the possibility of Dom's legit idol, it had to be between Morgan and Wendell.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Supposedly Kelly Wiggles got the invisible edit in Second Chances because she "wouldn't give the producers what they wanted."

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm her resident apologist, but I'd love to see her in a normal game with not-Russell. She gave really good indications of knowing what she was doing, but next to that turkey it was nigh on impossible to make an impression one way or the other.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
No, we didn't hear about that angle until tribal. It almost makes me think that he came up with it on the way or something. He was clearly excited for the chance to grandstand like that.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
At the very least, Dan's jackass behavior on social media gave us the most gloriously awkward finale segment of all time.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
On the flip side, Rodney's Dan impersonation videos are some of the funniest things ever.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
And when the curse of the loving stick is reversed, Eliza joins the game and annoys the crap out of everybody.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The ending is divisive but I thought l last season was generally good fun with some strong characters. Not a top five season, but certainly not terrible.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
How not to win Survivor: force a tribemate to drop trou within the first 3(? 6?) days because you have idol paranoia.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If nothing else, it's not worth watching game changers unless you've seen enough prior seasons to have some context for the characters.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'd love the one world concept with having everybody on the same tribe for the first few votes, followed by a tribe division of some kind.

Also, for Asian American ladies, it's a bit obscure but I loved Michelle in Fiji. She had a fun personality and was a good player who got dryfucked by one of the worst twists Survivor has ever pulled.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Thailand was the first season I didn't watch live, and I think it was just kind of a boring season on top of a television concept that looked like its time was near. There was bad juju on both pre-merge tribes, a morally repugnant winner, and straight up bad gameplay towards the end.

There was also a bit of a mess with the jury talking about one of the finalists being a racist rear end in a top hat without much proof, which likely sealed the deal for the winner.

But at least Ted was 150-200% satisfied with his wife.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If nothing else, at least Ghost Island all but forced them to cast more actual fans of the show. I'm sure they're talking about it, but we very rarely get to see it if they're planning for it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This Chris segment is too much for me to handle. Amazing.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Oh awesome, people hitting their groins on things: the challenge!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The Bloop posted:

No ghost island this ep?

I'd make fun of it, but frankly I'm happier they just gave us time with the new tribes.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Angela is giving me serious crazy-eyes Matt from way back in the Amazon in that last shot. It needs to be giffed.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Good editing. I really liked him, though :(

Edit: I think they cut the conversation between Michael and the Navitis, almost certainly Kellyn. He seemed to strike a deal last week, so my bet is they're promising him security over people like Chris and Domenick.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 29, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The Bloop posted:

Her return season iirc she was alone at her tribes camp

I hate that I know this, but in her first season she was the last remaining member of her pre-merge tribe after no swaps or anything, the one and only time that's happened. She was brought back the next season and ran the table strategically, but pissed people off and lost to bitter tears.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Rarity posted:

Is it just me or is there something really creepy about Dom going 'Libby is a beautiful lady Satan' when she's essentially done nothing this whole game?

She pulled the crap with him and Morgan a couple weeks back. I don't blame him.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Rarity posted:

As I recall it Libby tried (admittedly, badly) to save Morgan but her tribe weren't swayed and she understandably went with the numbers. It's not like she was the driving force in knifing Morgan in the back. To me it sounded like it came from a sexist 'all hot women are trying to deceive you' place.

My Natalie White apologism is coming in usefully, I suppose. Where she bonded casually with the Galus on a human level, it seemed like Libby extorted everything she had with Morgan (namely the Catholocism). Again with the 72 hours of gameplay per 42 minute episode, Morgan seemed like a cool, rational enough player that Libby must have carved something deep to elicit the reaction Morgan gave on her way out. It's not a stretch to figure that the impression that Libby gave to Morgan rubbed off on Dom (and maybe Wendell, I guess) and left a sour taste in the mouth.

I understand the argument of "the shrill female," but in this case it's a narrative they've been building, however subtly.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
What? No. Libby blindsided him/them.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
They don't know that. I'm all for the whinefest about how females don't "get to" play the same game guys do, but if you're spending enough time building enough false hope to get a vote-out reaction like Libby did, I'm going to assume she personally went too far.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
He's an arrogant alpha who's both condescending and a relentless pessimist. It's not a great combination.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

I wanna say it was Chris, Angela, Chelsea, and Sebastian which is why the latter two were kind of on the outs with Bradley, Kellyn, and Desiree after the swap. But I might be totally make that up. And I don't remember any of those three being especially close to Domenick.

Either way I don't think it makes a huge difference since that seemed like a very early "cool kids" social breakdown and not any real bonds or relationships.

They also never had to go to tribal, so we missed any voting drama and the vast majority of any politicking they did. Hopefully that stuff will surface when Navitis finally have to give exit interviews.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
My stream was misbehaving. What did I miss before the reward challenge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I don't know why, but I'm finding Kellyn more and more irritating every week.

• Locked thread