Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Lorenzo gets 4th... in Q1. Aleix Espagaro(on the Aprillia!) and Dovi gets through to Q2. Of all folks, Karel Abraham drat near knocked Dovi off 2nd in Q1.
It's a wet-ish drying track.

Miller fought the hell out of the bike and ended up taking pole. He gambled on fitting to slicks and stuck with it. There were a few spots he was a mere sliver away from binning it.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I loving loved the smash cut back to the start line to watch Miller cross it for pole cause his transponder hosed up and nobody realized he was actually on a flying lap lmao

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Wet weather always makes the races interesting. A bunch of folks swapping paint in all 3 classes.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
That was a spectacle. Was like an old time Marquez Moto2 race. A ride through, give up a place (2 really due to the fact that he passed someone else just as he as he was notified) still gets back to 5th place. If he hadn't torpedoed Rossi he might be getting grudging admiration instead of general disapproval.

He must have been anticipating the ride through after that bump starting stunt on the grid, he was pushing so hard to get a gap at the front before he had to come in. In my opinion he'd have been better off starting from pit lane as he would have had all the available laps to make up ground and if the race hadn't been 3 laps shorter he wouldn't have pulled so many borderline/boneheaded passes.

The start was bullshit though, they shouldn't be allowed in off the grid like that, ride around on the wets and bike swap like a flag to flag is supposed to be, Miller was robbed of a 60 second lead, that 50 metre head start looked ridiculous.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
what a bizarre race. Insanely entertaining, but ... yeah. Spectacle.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
*ahem*

Miller was loving robbed and I don't even like Miller cause he takes boganism to a whole other level. Still, definitely loving robbed.

Looking back on it Marquez stalling and bump starting and doing what he did was just the start of a race where he straight up should have been black flagged by the end of it.

2 torpedo moves and the bump start shenanigans... loving lol.

Pedrosa's crash was definitely an ouchie but hopefully he's ok. Thank gently caress for these airbag suits otherwise he'd probably be out with most likely yet another collarbone injury.

I literally yelled "yessss1!!!" when uccio was telling marquez to basically just gently caress right out of there when he tried to apologize.

What a loving race.

Cal Crutchlow is loving fantastic! Love that man so much.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I think having everyone but Miller starting from the pits would have been pretty unsafe. The decision made sense.

Also I'll be at COTA Sunday if anyone else will be there.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/rossi-marquez-dangerous-destroyed-our-sport-1023907/

God drat, Rossi is not loving around here.

quote:

He added: “I'm scared, I'm scared on the track when I am with Marquez.

“I'm scared today when I look, I see his name on the board, because I know that he come to me, I know already. So you have to think, to hope that you don't crash.”

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tell us how you really feel Valentino

No for real though, the combination of the bump start on the grid, various unsafe passes, ramming Rossi etc, Marquez should absolutely have some serious punishment levied against him. It's like everyone else is out there beholden to rules and he's just playing in a sandbox that happens to have other racers in it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Zarco owns.

Miller was robbed.

Black flag Marquez.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Zarco owns.

Miller was robbed.

Black flag Marquez.

:yeah:

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Marquez should probably be sat down a race for the accumulated incidents like this over the years. They won't because he's dorna's golden boy, but if they started him at the back of the grid next race and black flagged him if he did a single shady pass that would be almost as good.

Agreedo with Miller got robbed, excitedly waiting for Zarco to get a win.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The whole weekend had some weird poo poo going on. People were ramming people in corners all the time, in all the classes. I don't think I've seen that happening so much before. And extra weird, the officials started dropping the ball on the penalties too. Well, dropped the ball on all kinds of poo poo. BT commentators were referencing this when Marky was torpedoing everyone. It's pretty amazing, considering they didn't give this guy a penalty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6_5EIKEz-c

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
"I'm scared"

-The GOAT

Lmao, move aside old man, the new GOAT is here to stay.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That was definitely 'one of those'. Amazed and saddened Marquez didn't get a black flag.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
They penalized him out of the points for an accident, I don't know what else people want. Rossi intentionally ran him off the road Malaysia 2015 and he got to keep his 3rd place points.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Well, I'd have liked a rider who punts two other riders (one of whom was just lucky to stay upright) the exact same way in the exact same spot to be black flagged immediately like he would've in bsb or sbk or loving sub-500cc post classic club racing.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I'm happy with him getting the 30 seconds; I was rooting for him until he decided he was playing a video game.

Zarco is a goddamn monster tho.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

Well, I'd have liked a rider who punts two other riders (one of whom was just lucky to stay upright) the exact same way in the exact same spot to be black flagged immediately like he would've in bsb or sbk or loving sub-500cc post classic club racing.

He came up on Esp doing a lap time 4 seconds faster, that one was a mistake but they happen, if you've ever gone karting with noobs you've probably had a similar experience. It's hard to know how slow they are in turns when you come up on them.

The Rossi pass was not that bad and everyone making a big deal about it is only cause of everything else that happened that race imo, if it had been the only incident and with someone other than Rossi, everyone would call it the racing incident that it was. Rossi left the door wide open and MM put his bike there, they were alongside by the apex so it wasn't that crazy of a move. If you watch the post race presser he was unapologetic for the Rossi move an I agree with him.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Really just upset with race direction. After the sepang incident they restructured their decision making process and made the rules more freeform. This was their chance to show that they aren't idiots, that everyone gets treated equally. They did well to come up with that compromise grid, but when a rider gets his first penalty, any further incidents should be an immediate black flag.

Like nsap I know you like stirring poo poo but seriously think about this logically: if punting Rossi qualified for a penalty, at that point he already had a penalty for breaking the rules and you can't double up. You can make the racing incident argument in isolation, but when he already has a penalty it becomes a pattern of behavior and he needed to be pulled off asap.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 9, 2018

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
They handled the grid situation perfectly and by both the letter and the spirit of the rules, but you wouldn't know that to listen to the world feed commentators. I was pretty disappointed at how amateurish they sounded. No clue what was going on and all they could talk about was 'it's crazy!'. When a fan like me knows whats going on and is seeing things on screen that 3 people are missing, it's embarrassing.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I am thinking logically. You started with "If punting Rossi qualified for a penalty...". I don't think it did.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok. Do you think punting the elder asparagus brother deserved a +1?

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

They handled the grid situation perfectly and by both the letter and the spirit of the rules, but you wouldn't know that to listen to the world feed commentators. I was pretty disappointed at how amateurish they sounded. No clue what was going on and all they could talk about was 'it's crazy!'. When a fan like me knows whats going on and is seeing things on screen that 3 people are missing, it's embarrassing.

Yeah they need the commentators in those meetings this was the right way to handle it from a safety perspective. Starting from pitlane is a poo poo show and not good for spectating or the riders.

Germany in 2014:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

nsaP posted:

All the BT commentators, like 4 of them including Colin Edwards, said exactly the same, there was no reason to re-start the race just because most of the bikes went into the pit to change tires. Have you read the race procedure book? One of the BT guys actually had one in the booth and quoted from it later on, what are you seeing that all these guys didn't?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

bobbert posted:

Yeah they need the commentators in those meetings this was the right way to handle it from a safety perspective. Starting from pitlane is a poo poo show and not good for spectating or the riders.

Germany in 2014:

That was a bit different because they came in off of the warm up lap. We know from Pedrosa's last failed Championship run back in 2012 at San Marino, if your bike comes off the grid before the warm up lap but you are able to leave pit lane for the warm up lap, you can take the start but from the back of the grid. That rule works fine for 1 bike, not for the entire grid. No one would have known where to line up, so to work that out they paused the start. Took the time, found everyone's appropriate start location based on that, and proceeded. It was weird for Jack but none of the other teams did anything wrong, it was just a very weird situation that the current rule set was not prepared for.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

Ok. Do you think punting the elder asparagus brother deserved a +1?

Certainly, it was a much different situation. Esp was a lot tighter on his line and MM ran into his back wheel. Rossi couldn't have left the door more open and he and Maq were alongside each other before the apex.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

All the BT commentators, like 4 of them including Colin Edwards, said exactly the same, there was no reason to re-start the race just because most of the bikes went into the pit to change tires. Have you read the race procedure book? One of the BT guys actually had one in the booth and quoted from it later on, what are you seeing that all these guys didn't?

I dunno what they said man I didn't hear their feed obviously but I'm curious how they expected that race to start? Where was everyone else supposed to line up on the grid after the warm up lap that they started from the pit lane?

(I was watching and commenting on the world feed commentators if you missed that)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Nah, that's bad racing and this is a stupid hill to die on.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It must be frustrating to feel like you're right but not have things go your way. If anything I think Marquez has an argument that the penalties were unfairly handed out seeing how much more egregious mistakes by other riders weren't penalized.

He ended up penalized out of the points which I don't think is correct, but that's how it is and he and his team have accepted it. Everyone calling for more need to let it go or else it's going to have a negative effect on them because nothing new is going to happen.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

nsaP posted:

That was a bit different because they came in off of the warm up lap. We know from Pedrosa's last failed Championship run back in 2012 at San Marino, if your bike comes off the grid before the warm up lap but you are able to leave pit lane for the warm up lap, you can take the start but from the back of the grid. That rule works fine for 1 bike, not for the entire grid. No one would have known where to line up, so to work that out they paused the start. Took the time, found everyone's appropriate start location based on that, and proceeded. It was weird for Jack but none of the other teams did anything wrong, it was just a very weird situation that the current rule set was not prepared for.

You're saying warm-up lap, but you mean sighting lap right?

I think RC came up with as good of a decision as they good for such a weird situation. Starting people from the back wasn't quite as much of a disadvantage as starting from pit lane, but how else do you handle it when the entire field does it? If you aren't allowed to go into the pits after the sighting lap, what's the point of the sighting lap?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The whole weekend had some weird poo poo going on. People were ramming people in corners all the time, in all the classes. I don't think I've seen that happening so much before. And extra weird, the officials started dropping the ball on the penalties too. Well, dropped the ball on all kinds of poo poo. BT commentators were referencing this when Marky was torpedoing everyone. It's pretty amazing, considering they didn't give this guy a penalty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6_5EIKEz-c

Why did Hodgson think this was on purpose? It's low resolution, but it looks like he either lost the front a bit or maybe the rear stepped out and he ran wide. Sure looks like he thought he was past the dude that hit the rear. If you're looking to take someone out that sure looked like a bad way to do it. That said moto3 riders are all about 17 and not exactly master tacticians.

Is Dorna still maintaining the whole penalty points system this year? Who cares if they didn't black flag Marquez instantly, the end decision served the same purpose. One of the commentators said that Marquez was seeing red mist, which looked like an accurate description to me. It's pretty obvious that Marquez can reach a point where he just cannot think straight and makes some pretty bad / dangerous decisions. That corner and those conditions seemed to be a perfect recipe for those sorts of incidents.

The GP race was great, qualifying was really great - is there any footage of Miller's actual lap?

e:
Watching that footage again, it almost looks like the bike wheelied, and when the front came down the bike wobbled and he stood it up.

n8r fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 9, 2018

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

n8r posted:

You're saying warm-up lap, but you mean sighting lap right?

The GP race was great, qualifying was really great - is there any footage of Miller's actual lap?

e:
Watching that footage again, it almost looks like the bike wheelied, and when the front came down the bike wobbled and he stood it up.

Yeah the lap between the grid and the race start. I always mix them up, warm up is from the garage to the grid.

And here's the lap if you have the pass https://secure.motogp.com/en/video_gallery/2018/04/05/argentinagp-best-videos/253906?n=254524

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The super-back-of-the-grid thing is something they came up with specifically in response to sachsenring '14, it ended up wonky because rio hondo doesn't have enough grid slots for 23 riders to line up from P25 so they put them as far back as they could while still having a starting position for every rider.

RE: marquez' mentality, I think his starting grid kerfuffle gave him the same flustered sensation we mortals get when we stall at a traffic light or drop the bike in the driveway. Then when he got the first penalty it all just became too much for him and he reacted like a competitive young man under a shitload of pressure in an agressive sport usually does: got really hosed off, hosed cunts up without concern for consequences.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 10, 2018

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

n8r posted:

Why did Hodgson think this was on purpose?
I'm assuming there was something between those two guys already? I dunno about "on purpose" but it doesn't quite look like he was out of control there as Mark was when he ran into people. Looks like he target fixated or something, which is weird.

nsaP posted:

I dunno what they said man I didn't hear their feed obviously but I'm curious how they expected that race to start? Where was everyone else supposed to line up on the grid after the warm up lap that they started from the pit lane?
All the non-Miller riders did this before the grid ever happened? Like there were never any umbrella girls out there? I missed that, I assumed it was like that clip from Germany or wherever. If they could still go out for the warm-up lap I don't see why the grid would be an issue. All the riders would know what their grid position was, they don't need to be sitting on it with the camera crews for 15 minutes to figure that out. Or if they all had to start from pit lane, again, I don't see why that's impossible. It's been done before with a lot of people as shown in that clip. If the race director had the flexibility to just stop the race so everyone can catch up to Miller, as they did, then presumably they could have ordered everyone to leave the pits in single file and maintain pitlane speed while in the pits or something like that. If safety was a concern with a big pit lane start, I mean.

quote:

(I was watching and commenting on the world feed commentators if you missed that)
Yeah I caught that, which is why I brought up the other full set of commentators who also disagreed with you. I wouldn't say commentators should be the arbiters of races, but it seems like all of them agreed on this one, they might be right.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

nsaP posted:

It must be frustrating to feel like you're right but not have things go your way.

Hmmm :thunk:

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Why am I not surprised nsap is a marquez apologist

He absolutely deserved to get no points. Whether he deserves additional penalty is debatable - given the 30s penalty, if he had been faster, he could have gotten points, so I think a DQ or black flag would have sent a stronger signal, even if the end result wouldn't have changed. Reckless riding from flag to flag. Actually, from before the flag.

Zarco also pulled a lovely move on Pedrosa, causing a crash. Someone is going to go down and lose starts to injury if race direction shrugs bad moves off. Although to be fair to Zarco, he only made one bad move and didn't continue to ride like a dick for the entire race.
Edit: oh, Pedrosa getting wrist surgery now. Unluckiest guy in MotoGP :negative:

Miller got robbed, somewhat. I don't totally blame race direction for not doing a pit start. That other pit start was ugly as hell and that's carnage waiting to happen. They need a better procedure for that scenario, like a 2-wave start.

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 10, 2018

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Zarco's move was not great, but he didn't crash out Pedrosa, Pedrosa gave it a handful of gas on a damp patch and highsided himself. And Marquez didn't just ram 2 people, he also ignored the rule about what to do when you stall on the starting grid and the rule about riding backwards. It's not like he doesn't know you can't do that, he does it anyway because he's only ever been sent to the back of the grid once in his career as a consequence so why not, probably nothing will happen, which is why I think he should get a one race ban.

Edit: everyone starting at the back instead of pitlane is definitely a safer decision, but I'd like to see Jack get a green flag and then the rest of the people get the lights like 5-8 seconds later to simulate having to wait for the last rider to get past the pit lane exit. He should get a more tangible advantage for the correct decision making.

BitcoinRockefeller fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 10, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah zarco was different because he didn't actually touch pedrosa, pedrosa knew he was there, moved to the wet part of the track and crashed himself.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Infinotize posted:

Edit: oh, Pedrosa getting wrist surgery now. Unluckiest guy in MotoGP :negative:

Dammit, I bet my boyfriend that he broke a bone. Now I'm sad that I won :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Do any (sports) bars in the US ever have motogp on their TVs, or do you pretty much have to pay $170 for their annual pass and watch it at home?