Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I just wish they'd do it like Hoi4 where a bunch of the earlier DLCs are now part of the base game. It make it easier for new players to get into, and they can actually improve those original DLC features now that everyone has them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

CitizenKain posted:

Stellaris as a Service, the new SaaS.

As far as I can tell the season pass is just a bundle of the next three DLCs, right? You're buying them and keeping them with a discount, not paying to just get access for a year... right? That seems distinct from Stellaris as a Service, but maybe I'm wrong.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

As far as I can tell the season pass is just a bundle of the next three DLCs, right? You're buying them and keeping them with a discount, not paying to just get access for a year... right? That seems distinct from Stellaris as a Service, but maybe I'm wrong.

Yes but also there's a subscription option for the DLCs now.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Am I understanding this correctly that you CAN'T get the cube portraits without getting that bundle?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yami Fenrir posted:

Am I understanding this correctly that you CAN'T get the cube portraits without getting that bundle?

Yes*

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lame.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one tbh.

I'm getting machine age for sure but like

who the gently caress cares about space storms? Give me internal politics instead

Archives could be cool but idk.

Might just get machine age as a solo purchase honestly

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 11, 2024

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Derp. Quote is not edit

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

pseudodragon posted:

Getting back into the game after a long break, what's the best way to deal with rear end in a top hat criminal syndicates? The jerks are too big to claim and conquer (and there's closer, juicier targets first) without multiple wars. Does vassalizing them or something turn them into a nation that doesn't need to be exterminated?

Expropriation just wrecks what they have but doesn't stop them from coming back after the truce, right?

Have a friendly megacorp set up good offices instead

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Yeah the space storms one feels way out of left field. The fact that it's also priced at $12.99 feels like they just needed to be able to say they're putting three DLCs out this year, who the gently caress was asking for storm content

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I like when there's just more stuff going on around the galaxy in general so I'm not writing it off really. And there could be some cool origin or civics to go with the theme. Also new precursors!

I buy and at least enjoy basically all Stellaris expansions so I'm happy to buy the season pass.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I feel this is them trying to get more of us to be committed to buy the lovely DLCs like Astral.

Jokes on them tho, they already burnt this bridge with their lovely Ck3 seasons.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I've hosted two long co-op games so far and both times past 2370 or so we just get constant desyncs

It's rear end!!!!!

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Beasteh posted:

I've hosted two long co-op games so far and both times past 2370 or so we just get constant desyncs

It's rear end!!!!!

We were getting that in the last version but the recent patches fixed it. Are you on the latest version?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Jack Trades posted:

Yes but also there's a subscription option for the DLCs now.

ah double post

but yeah, good point. I think at this point in the lifespan of the game that might make sense for some people? I don't know, I've bought all the DLC I found interesting and definitely gotten my money's worth based on the time spent playing, but I could see someone new wanting to get into Stellaris and finding the sheer number of DLCs overwhelming, and maybe for them this makes sense?

I don't have many complaints about Stellaris and the never-ending development and DLC model ever since they introduced the custodian team. There was a time when they were leaving a lot of technical debt in their wake by constantly charging forward, but having some people dedicated to fixing stuff up is really good for the game imo. But now we're in year 8 of Stellaris and there are new players coming in here pretty frequently and trying to figure out which of the 20 dlc to get, and I don't know what the best solution is... particularly if sales of old DLCs are still helping to pay for ongoing development.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I don't mind the subscription. It's for people who came into stellaris late, and that's fine. It's just not for me, and probably several others here.

What I'm not really okay with is locking content, however minor, behind a season pass like this.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kris xK posted:

I feel this is them trying to get more of us to be committed to buy the lovely DLCs like Astral.

Jokes on them tho, they already burnt this bridge with their lovely Ck3 seasons.

Yeah, there's no way I'm pre-ordering the DLC. The race packs were pretty bad before they retroactively made them worthwhile and the Astral Rifts are a joke of a DLC.
I'd rather pay extra buying only the good DLC piecemeal.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The season pass seems extremely worth it to me.

The Machine Age is a must buy, and it's 25 bucks.

Then there's the Grand Archive, which is absolutely my jam. I've wanted a space fauna overhaul and expansion for so long. If I see the Tiyanki or Space Amoeba home systems, I always try to claim them if at all possible, in order to protect them. Now I can breed and modify my own space fauna? Sign me up! And specimen collection is also something I enjoy.

Plus two new tradition trees, that's nice. This DLC costs 15 bucks.

So that's the price of the season pass already. Which means I get Cosmic Storms for free.

Granted, space weather is currently not very exciting. But I really do enjoy making systems basically impenetrable by installing the Zroni Storm Caller, and I hope the DLC fleshes all of this out to be more interesting. Getting 2 new precursor tracks sounds neat, and there will also be two relics. And it costs me nothing.

Plus I get the cube portraits.

That last one either costing money later on, and otherwise only being available in the season pass is lovely though.

But I've already bought the season pass, I've enjoyed all gameplay related Stellaris DLC up to now, so it's a no brainer.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
im a big dummy bitch who'll buy dlc sight unseen

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

pseudodragon posted:

Getting back into the game after a long break, what's the best way to deal with rear end in a top hat criminal syndicates?

Download Gigastructures, build a Nicoll-Dyson Beam, and blow up every star in their empire.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
oh wait the voice lines for the synthetic queen is AI generated? loving hell

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Paracausal posted:

oh wait the voice lines for the synthetic queen is AI generated? loving hell
They used an "advanced text to speech" system to generate clips and then spliced (lol my phone autocorrected that to splicer) them together. They're not explicit but "advanced text to speech" usually means a neural net deal. And if it's a neural net deal it's probably a third party one and if it's a third party one it's probably been trained and charged for in an unethical manner.

So there's a fair few assumptions before we bring out the pitchforks but they're solid assumptions unless we hear otherwise. Like maybe it's an in-house system trained on data they paid the original voice people a significant premium and/or ongoing royalties for and are only going to use for things hiring a voice actor wouldn't work for anyway.

Or not.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 12, 2024

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yuck. That's just bad or really bad. Definitely a NO-buy even at sale now.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I can see why this is bad, but I'm giving Paradox the benefit of the doubt that they did this because it fit thematically with the synthetic queen, not because they want to screw over voice actors.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
as I'm always using the same 2-3 advisors anyway, I would never get to hear this "synthetic queen"-voice anyway

maybe I should ask Paradox for a discount if they take that poo poo out for me

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Libluini posted:

as I'm always using the same 2-3 advisors anyway, I would never get to hear this "synthetic queen"-voice anyway

maybe I should ask Paradox for a discount if they take that poo poo out for me

Isn't it a crisis, not an advisor?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yami Fenrir posted:

Isn't it a crisis, not an advisor?

I don't know, I don't play 4x-games to listen to voices (advisors are an exception), and I can't remember any crisis having voice-acted lines.

But that's a good point, if the problematic voices are part of a new crisis, I can just avoid taking that crisis, thank the sliders. :v:

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
trolling some pals in my next multiplayer match

haven't actually played it but hope I got it close

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

DarkLich posted:

Maybe use the skull emblem

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

DarkLich posted:

I'm also imagining this would be a good joke for a megacorp.

SHELL-Divers.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
I have just started playing the console version and I am enjoying the game immensely.

However, I am also extremely lazy and the ship construction stuff seems very detailed. How meaningfully effective is making your own ship builds, vs. just putting on "use latest tech" option or whatever?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The auto update to latest tech option is fantastic, the auto design ships option is not.

When in doubt just do a balanced mix of kinetic/lasers (plasma once researched), and the same for shields/armor. If it's an unbalanced number of modules, I do extra armor/plasma.

If you want to use disruptors, or missiles and strike craft, they are all good too. But you need to only use that type of module, because otherwise your disruptors for instance are ignoring all the shields and armor that your lasers are trying to shoot through.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

I have just started playing the console version and I am enjoying the game immensely.

However, I am also extremely lazy and the ship construction stuff seems very detailed. How meaningfully effective is making your own ship builds, vs. just putting on "use latest tech" option or whatever?

It's particularly worth the time using in dealing with the crisis as they are fixed designs. It can be essential if you've accidentally researched an archeotech that the system plonks on everything and you don't have the relic resources to back it up. But otherwise I find it a bit too involved to really bother.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I love it myself, but it takes the right kind of busted brain go enjoy making ship classes with themed names.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

New player crisis details:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-341-become-the-crisis-cosmogenesis.1665800/

Sounds cool. Much more my style than the current one.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Now this is a really interesting answer to the question, "What were fallen empires like at their peak?"

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That looks really cool. I'll definitely be trying that out in one of my first post-patch games.

Not surprised that they put a dev comment later in the thread saying that virtual pops can't work on the crisis structure, that'd be insanely overpowered.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Wow, finally a way to win the game.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I really want to combine that with rogue servitors and take the entire galactic population to nirvana.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My current game I've never had so many issues with influence before. It's been terrible. But lots of treaties will do that, and I usually play Borg who don't have these pesky little treaty things. I messed up a couple settings but once I saw the start I couldn't reroll the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

My hype has increased, it has increased by a LOT