Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Probably the nicest change so far for me is that there's a very clear divide early on between teching for fleets versus teching for stations. You can still make a monster fleet like before, or you can simply establish your borders, find good bottlenecks, and then build gigantic doom forts to secure your empire. There's now a lot of thought about how far I can reasonably expand outwards while still being able to defend my claims, and definite tradeoffs for building a big ol' fleet versus building a whole bunch of strategic stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

Mostly through researching new hull types.

There's also a Society tech (that I think is repeatable) that increases Command Limit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

One thing to note with regards to undersized fleets is that gussied-up starbases are insanely powerful now, especially if you invest some of your Engineering tech options into them. If you can figure out the most convenient bottlenecks early and claim them, you can set down a starbase that will easily beat (or at least significantly stall) most equivalent fleets.