Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I feel like i read in a dev diary or something that we got the ability to increase the "size" of planets in this expansion, did i dream that up? I'm sitting here looking at some not ideal prospects of 12-16 size planets and if i can increase their size later i should probably colonize some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Thank you, thank you. Truly dongomatic.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How do you increase fleet command limit? Research i haven't discovered yet? NOT "Naval Capacity", fleet sizes.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I was utterly decimating a lovely bird empire and while i was bombarding the defenses of one of their planets down (which takes loving ages now btw) they somehow just forced white peace?

I was insane murder robots using a purification casus belli, and i had eradicated their fleet twice.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Ms Adequate posted:

I've seen a couple of other people around the Net mention the same thing, but nobody seems to know if it's a WAD mechanic we haven't got to grips with yet or a bug.

The limit to force my war demands (for the bird noobs to commit ritual seppuko) was at like -1000% or something, as it should be for a eradication goal i guess. But maybe whatever algorithm they have sees the 100% goal for white peace and the ca -1000% to kill themselves and goes "WOAH PLAYER DOIN REAL BAD STOP THE WARS". Wouldn't be surprised.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Does Armageddon orbital bombardment damage your own troops? Bit hard to tell the difference with the dinky starter robot armies, they take a lot of damage regardless.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, I never cluster. Four fallen empires all together in the south, all of us normies in the northeastern half, the western third is entirely empty.

Sounds kinda cool, like Europe and the discovery of america, but in SPACE. However grabbing unclaimed land is so tedious now with micromanaging 1 station at a time every time you get 50 influence so theres that.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
So whats the point of setting a homebase for a fleet? It's where it'll form up when you initially build it, but is there any point to updating the homebase closer to the front after that?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

ulmont posted:

Yeah - that's where it goes on return and I think also on upgrade.

Ah yeah, on return maybe, but it just goes to the nearest station for upgrades.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How are you guys dealing with rebellions now that you can't build defensive armies? I stopped melting all organics down to goop in favor of just eradicating them ASAP cause losing the planets constantly was so annoying. (especially since a big empire would just instantly peacefully absorb them when they flipped)

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Nothing beats cracking a planet into multiple burning pieces for that satisfaction feeling, but drat the Neutron Sweep is really good too! Perfect for taking those well developed planets with endless armies since it leaves the buildings around.
I wish the Colossi limit was 2 tbh, so i could have the planet cracker around for those 13 and below size planets the AI colonizes for that "i dont want this and nobody else does either" moments.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can empires i'm at war with enter through my Gateways? I see that it denies everyone i have closed borders with, but that's peacetime.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Um, holy poo poo the AI cheats on fleet Command Limit. Afaik my command limit cap is 200 without ascension perks and a AI empire is sending a fleet against me with 40 battleships, 40 cruisers, and ca 50 destroyers and 60 corvettes. That's nowhere near 200 :lol:
I would have to put 2 or maybe 3 fully capped fleet there to just defend against one empire that is considered "equivalent" to me. That's a little bit dumb, come on.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 25, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Gort posted:

I haven't even researched battleships yet and my command limit is nearly 200. You can switch to the AI empires and see what they've got using the "play" console command, might be worth doing to see if they really are cheating or what.

Thanks! Yeah, they are cheating very hard. 539/190 command limit on their fleet. Man that really kills all fun i was having up until this point. It's okay if its a loving endgame crisis or something, but not a equivalent empire on normal difficulty.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Gort posted:

They're not necessarily cheating, but they'd be paying 284% of the normal fleet upkeep at that level of command limit. Do they have the minerals/energy to do that?

I looked again and it's a "Federation Fleet", i have no idea how they work cause i have never made a federation in this game, maybe it's a combination of ships from all the federation members? They aren't paying the upkeep penalty, so it seems likely that it works something like that. But it's still a single fleet almost 300% above the fleet capacity cap.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What options do i have to hamper their ability to field such huge federation fleets? I would have to move every last ship i have to a single location in the galaxy to beat it and i can't keep everything else undefended every time i have to face the federation fleet.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Gadzuko posted:

The deal with federation fleets is that each member of the federation sacrifices a small portion of their own empire ship cap that goes to the federation, and then whoever is the current leader of the federation can control it. So, unfortunately, there isn't really a workaround other than defeating the federation members and taking away their anchorages to reduce their contribution to the federation ship cap.

Hmm, well. At least with smart Gateway Placements along the front i can improve my chances for getting every fleet in a position to respond then and if i build the Sentry Array i can see them coming a mile away.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can i make my own automatic naming scheme for planets/fleets/etc?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is it possible to see your total chance for a ship to Combat Disengage? I chose the hit and run war doctrine and i'm curious what the total is now.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What galaxy settings are you folks using?

Max galaxy size, 4 spiral arms, 0.75 hyperlane density and 1.0 mid/endgame crisis event strength, rest default. Makes for contained stronghold type empires with easy to control chokepoints.
Idk if the crisis strength thing actually works tho, 1.0 is 1 tick down from default and my midgame crisis, united under khan, made a empire that has like 300k fleetstrength while the rest of us are puttering around with max 40k right now.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

For size I honestly can't imagine playing on anything beyond medium and .25 planets. Planet management and ship travel times just become such a drag.

Easily circumvented by building gates and using jumpdrive on cooldown. Kinda micromanagy tho, but that's the game. I don't know how planet management is for non-angry machine empires, but i just build up mine and then forget them forever, i guess it can be a bitch if you have migration and stuff going on.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I hope they add some kinda way to disrupt federations a bit soon, espionage or something to sour relations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
If you set Abandoned Gateways to 0 in the game start settings you also can never get the tech to build gateways in that game and you can't solve it with the console commands either. Have to restart :negative:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What happens if i take a robot "race" through the Horizon Signal chain?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

IAmTheRad posted:

You can't. Gesalt conciousness won't trigger the event.

Hmm, yeah, i guess you're right. I got something similar where one of my science ships came out of a black hole, but i'm not actually missing any. And i have the option to let them in and gain a science ship or shoot them down, but i guess it's something else.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Hm, with the new ascension perk in the beta that gives 2 levels to leaders my machine leaders can reach level 10 with a government reform and some machine template fuckery. That's 10% more research, 15% more firerate and 10% more resource production across the board. I'm gonna try that, it sounds pretty powerful.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Are machine leaders immortal? That seems hella good.

They can break down, but i have the perk that makes that 50% less likely which would give me like 99% uptime or something on level 10 leaders. And if one dies i can just powerlevel him fast with the experience boosting edicts.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Nice to see that the sector AI is slightly less retarded since last time i had a good look at it. Reacting appropriately to unrest and building sane poo poo.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Magil Zeal posted:

I think they just plop down a few fortresses on each world now rather than reacting to unrest.

Ah yeah, that's what i meant by reacting to it, it's probably still idiotic when given a harder challenge. I really like to play murderous machine empires, so unrest to me is "pacify until melted down".

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm not certain it's better. I went ascended synthetic and my governor still builds farms.

:lol:

So, unrelated to the above, how does the evasion stat work and how good is it? My corvettes are at 92% evasion now, but they still get hit a fair bit so i guess there's more to it.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Magil Zeal posted:

Ah, I more meant they throw down fortresses on worlds regardless as to whether or not there's unrest there. My empire's pretty much completely unrest-free but the governor still likes to build 1-3 fortresses per world depending on how big they are.

Maybe it's trying to do something with unity? Fortresses give 3 unity in my game.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Whats the "Total War (Colossus)" wargoal? It was made available when i unlocked the colossus.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I wish you didn't need a shipyard to upgrade your fleets. I wanna upgrade my fleets close to the fight, but i want my ships to be shat out from my multiple system giant shipyards with experience boosters and gateways to instantly warp across the galaxy. If i have shipyards close to the front they are gonna try to build all the ships there with like 1 shipyard and no xp boosts.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Man, build fleet manager is really fucky on the beta. All my fleets think they are fully reinforced, but do infact miss a fair few ships that are lost in constant build ques that i cannot cancel. Hope they iron out the kinks soon.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

ulmont posted:

Autoupgraded ships do not play nicely with the Fleet Manager. You will do better hand-designing if you want the Fleet Manager.

Ugh, that's too much micromanagement for me. Is there a way to delete the "fleet" status from a fleet without disbanding the ships and then make them into a new fleet? P sure i could reset the build que if that can be done.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

ulmont posted:

You can take one fleet and separate out all ships of a type, etc., which will create a new fleet. Or you can just click on the fleet manager to reduce a type.

There are some definite bugs in the fleet manager to be worked out. What I have done is to take autogenerated designs and make an insignificant change before using those ships to build my fleets. Every so often, I create a new design based off the current state of autogenerated, delete the old one and upgrade. I find it easier than building fleets without the fleet manager.

Hmm, okay, i'll try to fiddle with it. I'm not using autogenerated ships tho, i use my own templates. BUT i have the "auto-upgrade" checkbox ticked, i guess that's enough to confuse it.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

ulmont posted:

Yeah, the auto-upgrade is where it all goes to hell.

Ok, it wasn't that bad to fix actually. I moved all the ships out into new separate fleets until i was left with the corvettes only in the original "fleet", if i tried to disband that from the fleet manager the game crashed, but just disbanding the ships the old way removed the fleet and i was able to fully reinforce the new one. Could probably just have left 1 corvette in there instead of scuttling 40 of them, but eeehhhhhh, lasy.

Thank you everyone!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Ah, the barbarian hordes that come to space-pillage you can use wormholes :thumbsup:. Now I am starting a new game because they completely ravaged my interior but left the four super border forts untouched and I am in a death spiral. What a great way for a game to end! And you cant turn it off or avoid it, either!

Well, you can turn off wormholes in game creation, i did that cause having holes that lead into my secret parts don't appeal to me, but you can't turn off the hordes no. If you turn off gateways too tho you never get the tech to build gateways either, you need to discover a broken gateway to trigger the tech.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any thoughts on what weapons to put on your defense stations and the little defense platforms they poop out? I tried to use hangar bays on the station and missiles/torpedos on the platforms to see if i could drown out the PD systems of the enemy and it didn't seem super good. So i'm just using guns and platforms with kinetic artillery now.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is a fallen empire waking up considered a endgame crisis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

GorfZaplen posted:

I'd consider it a late mid-game crisis since it shakes up the balance of power in the galaxy but isn't a galaxy ending threat.

Ah okay, mine is running late and i'm excited to see what it is.