Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I realize the scripts say differently but I'm pretty sure that the incomplete terraforming event has a 100% chance of turning your world into an ammonia planet.

edit: save scumming: ammonia, ammonia, ammonia, invasion, gaia. huh I guess it is possible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

Hey so the Galactic Nomads decided to set up shop on one of my planets. That's pretty cool, but as soon as they did, their new empire got absorbed into mine. I think that's cool, but it did give me a real dire message about how their nascent empire had been wiped from the galaxy. That seems a little extreme for my new bird buddies, who all seemed more or less stoked to be a member of the space dragon empire.

The best is when the new empire rolls fanatic purifiers.

Gee wonder why you got kicked out of the fleet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Isn’t there a way to rename systems?

Also how is everyone using starbases? The economy possible on one looks pretty solid, I had a colony in a nebula and built trading posts and the mineral building. 24 energy and 6 minerals didn’t seem half bad, though not particularly efficient from a minerals standpoint.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

The penalties for settling planets feel a little harsh. I feel as though I should be rushing to colonize every planet I can in a 4X game, not cringing slightly whenever I built a colony ship. I know it's probably good in the long run but ugh it doesn't feel good at all.

It feels like each colony is a much more serious investment, at least in the beginning. I kinda like it, for the moment at least.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^ have steam check your install integrity and disable all mods? That looks like a generic “can’t load” object so your instal might be hosed

Magil Zeal posted:

It does make small planets a lot less attractive than they already were though (which I have never liked very much). I've been trying out the new Mastery of Nature and can't say I'm impressed as of yet. The 100 Influence cost of the edict is killer, Influence is precious and hard to accumulate. Got more use out of the tile-clearing discount early on but now I'm rolling in energy and basically any energy cost is irrelevant.

Agreeing about mastery of nature. It needs to give 3 tiles all the way up to size 20 or something. (Maybe even 22)

Kinda disappointed I only got 1 tile on my capital.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hit the upgrade button, you have 0 destroyers matching the new design so 0 is “correct”.

I agree that this part of the fleet designer is really confusing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^ that was it

Oh I read that backwards, sorry. I saw that too last night but it seemed to resolve itself somehow? Maybe it was the reinforcement button?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Staltran posted:

I was really surprised you only get the full 3 tiles if the planet is size 12. I think only 13,14,15 give you +2, too? Seems pretty weak, but on the other hand if tradition cost increases from systems and planets stacking multiplicatively is WAD I can sorta see leaving most systems empty and just dealing with the pirates as they spawn becoming the meta? That would make influence less valuable so you'd get more out of Mastery of Nature.

Isn't the tribute pretty affordable? I think Wiz paid them off with 500 food in one of the pre-release streams.

I haven't seen it yet but I saw people complaining that they were getting their stuff blown up by the raiders when the raiders were on their way to another empire through their space.

If they're going to go through your space to a rival there should be an option to stay out of their way, possibly with a low cost tribute.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah, but it's like they will nearly always equal my navy size or at least start making GBS threads out ships way faster than I can. Do AI get economic bonuses (i hope not)

If it hasn't changed they get bonuses on every level but easy, but its not that big.
https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Settings#Difficulty

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wiz, what are the odds of getting a slider for war exhaustion or something.

Like it'd be cool if I could play game with war exhaustion multiplied by 0.1 if I wanted to.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kaza42 posted:

War exhaustion is ridiculous right now. I was playing as a dominant power rolling over a mid-sized empire to vassalize it. I never lost a single ship, and the closest fight was something like 3:1 in my favor. And yet I still got forced into a white peace due to war exhaustion before I could complete the wargoal. I'm playing a machine empire, I don't *want* to conquer their land and why are my robots getting tired of war anyway?

Seriously gain could be 10% of what it is and it'd be a solid mechanic.

I think its a fine mechanic but the gain needs to be dramatically reduced. Or there needs to be more modifiers on it.

And exterminators/purifiers/devouring hives should not be able to force a status quo that results in your colonies being purged. Give a penalty or something but against these foes you should be able to fight to the last if you really want. Better to die in battle than be eaten by some giant plant.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DrBox posted:

Ok, don't delete your only fleet manager template to start fresh because it actually deletes your fleet. A pop-up "are you sure" window would be helpful there.

There is one?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

Looks like it's always optimal to specialize starbases, like if you build an Offworld Trading Company you want every module to be a Trading Hub, if you build a Logistics office they should all be Anchorages, and if you build a Fleet Academy they should all be Shipyards. Prolly not saying anything anybody doesn't already know but it's something I do appreciate in the expansion because I've always liked specialization and it feels natural and more meaningful than the old approach to starports.

What I'm not getting yet is if its ever worth it to put more batteries/hangars on a station instead of whatever? Doesn't seem like a good tradeoff for what you get?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I just got a refugee pop with 6600 days left of stellar culture shock and 1600 of "was enslaved".

Was that always a thing? Never got refugees with such severe modifiers before.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I just got the self modified event chain. When everyone flipped over to xenophobe/militarist their happiness all cratered instantly turning a nice happy 0 unrest core planet into a 140 unrest planet. :allears:

Guess its time to endorse some american style egalitarianism by declaring martial law and setting up a deep space black site and paving over some labs with strongholds.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Reveilled posted:

Have they fixed the bug that makes self-modified pops be their own species instead of a sub-species yet? It doesn't look like they fixed it for psionics or cybernetics.

I don't think thats a bug, but yes they are a separate main entry.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wiz, with the new maintenance costs any thought of putting in some feature for mothballing ships?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fallen empires sure know how to pick 'em. Think they'll be mad if I declare another one a holy world?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Does the AI use jump drives to get past chokepoints? I fear that the 40k+ bastion may not be able to be my only truly fortified station.

It and my 5k fleet got a lot of kills against 26k khan fleets at least!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jazerus posted:

only the xenophile ones, because they think it's cute that you want to deal with them like you're actually people

all of the others would prefer you go away, please

The guardians will like you if you're spiritualists and declare one of their sacred worlds as a sacred world.

I guess that counts as adopting their religion?

Their base trade is 50% instead of 75% though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jabor posted:

Sorry buddy, there's no way to make me want to take some podunk 2-energy-and-nothing-else backwater system unless it's actually relevant from a strategic perspective.

It’s good admiral xp!

Also watching a galleon be lit up by ion cannons hasn’t gotten old yet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What modifiers?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zore posted:

Yeah, I'm rolling around with a Titan and it can one shot any star fortress up to 7.7k fleet power or so before any of my other ships gets in range.

I am glad I went maximum lasers because they shred through things hilariously.

You probably want to upgrade to neutron torpedos or w/e they're called - they're to lasers like kinetic artillery is to kinetics.

Glancing through other forums it appears that the only evolving "meta" is that cruisers are bad - they're large enough to be consistently hit by L weapons and don't have enough hit points. L mount destroyers and torpedo corvettes are hitting way above their mineral cost right now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I've figured out how to handle horrendous shaped empires and am in favor of this.

It can be the robot one - its already supposed to be eccentric and broken!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^the instant you hit 100% you can force a white peace for your alliance can’t you?

Expanding habitats to O’Neil cylinders or something for lots and lots of minerals would be cool.

Might have to make them a premium over ringworlds though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blorange posted:

Wiz, be very careful about applying this to the defending empire. An empire losing a war against determined exterminators doesn't necessarily have the option to surrender and cut their losses.

At a certain point your economy will be wrecked so badly you can do nothing but desperately cling on. Losing influence and unit makes sense here at least.

Defense wars need a bonus to war weariness or something though. Or at least it needs to be able to go down after a decisive victory? Or maybe you can always liberate your own planets with a CB even if pacifist?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Anyone else a bit disappointed with the Gaian creation perk? It takes so long (same as before, was always too long) and doesn't improve things THAT much compared to teraforming to the correct habitability or gene modding. I feel like taking the ascension perk and becoming master terraformers it should take the same time as the other options.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It seems reasonable to lock it behind a perk but locking it behind a perk and still making it take forever seems unnecessary.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pylons posted:

I have them, because I absolutely love carriers too, but I still don't think they're really worth using. I think it'd take a significant revamp to the way they work to make them worth it.

They still seem to succeed at lagging things out at least.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

I think there might be something wrong with the demand vassalization war demands.

I have all of this empire's systems occupied and planets occupied:

But my war thing says:

It never ticked lower than -100 so I did a status quo and it cleared all of their systems except for the ones they had planets in. It gave me none of their space or any spoils from that war :negative:.

Also does that 110% mean these things can never be hit?

If you completely occupy a on a subjugation CB that should start a timer or something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

canepazzo posted:

I think they fixed timed events too, got an asteroid sighted within 8 jumps of my fleet and could get there in time.

Thats the best event to get at well fortified starbase.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Alternatively I'd love to be able to take-in some pops from a local friendly hive mind, have their happiness based on my relations with the originating hive or something. Have mechanical hives able to sell workers to friendly neighbours. "Give me 1,000 minerals and I'll give you 10 robots" that sort of thing.

This needs to go in with a diplomacy overhaul that includes spying and a "holy poo poo you really were that stupid" event chain.

Gyrotica posted:

Talking to a proper Hive Mind drone would probably be really incredible. Honestly it's hard for me to even grasp. One of the few things I would consider fundamentally 'inhuman'.

Its so hard to do that most scifi that tries seems to have "independent" drones that have disconnected to make it work.

The chapter(s?) from the hive mind perspective somewhere in Peter Hamilton's 4000 or whatever pages of the commonwealth saga were cool though.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 27, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

My empire of authoritarian spiritualist xenophobes has been annexing its neighbor piece by piece over the last century, uses orbital bombardments regularly, has black sites orbiting half its planets to deal with dissent, regularly uses martial law to suppress unrest from its massive alien slave population, has about a third of its own people enslaved, and just genocided the entire population of a planet for rebelling.

...I think we might be the baddies.

Do you have a death star?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Circle of life still doesn’t seem all that great even with he increased penalties?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s more that you get 100 tiles for 110k minerals when you could’ve had more tiles in habitats for the same cost. The advantage to the ring world is lesser penalties and mineral production which is pretty meh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ulmont posted:

Is there an advantage now that the building to go 45 energy: 30 minerals exists?

Oh right, I should've remembered that because I filled up a hab with those and flicked them on/off as needed. Those things own.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What do you do with Influence when you stop expanding and can afford to keep all edicts running all the time? The only way I can seem to drain the pool is by rigging elections.

I mean, I'm happy that I get to keep my immortal psychic tree friend as eternal president, but it seems like there should be something else to spend influence on.

Habitats everywhere.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Splicer posted:

Click on them and click "disable" I presume.

Also works for reducing maintenance on stuff you’re not using because you moved pops off planet. Need to remember to turn them back on as pops grow though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

deleting a template and having a fleet disappear was a shock

The user that doesn't read warning boxes, the bane of every developer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Slashrat posted:

How fast is decadence supposed to tick up on average? I'm biding my time right now to gank an awakened empire that is just sitting in a corner at the edge of my empire's backyard. Its pops had a 1.5% production penalty from decadence when I first inspected them, but a decade later that hasn't changed.

I believe its based partly on them actually doing something. ie conquering.

Alternatively maybe they found the "Straighten up" button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Make one of the discovery traditions instant emergency FTL for science ships.