Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Seems to be extremely important to build Trading Hubs on stations where it's possible.

When I get off work I'm going to remake my Gekko Corporate Conglomerate and build the richest loving space empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The penalties for settling planets feel a little harsh. I feel as though I should be rushing to colonize every planet I can in a 4X game, not cringing slightly whenever I built a colony ship. I know it's probably good in the long run but ugh it doesn't feel good at all.

I feel I'm doing all right though despite blobbing pretty hard in my current game, I'm superior in tech to my immediate neighbors and nobody I've managed to contact throughout my huge galaxy so far is superior (except the FE obviously). Part of that may be Fanatic Materialist though. Also Corporate Dominion still rocks, set up a few Trade Hub stations and you have all the energy you could ever want, to spend on edicts/private colony ships/leaders/etc.. Influence is something of a bitch though and is my main barrier to expansion at this point, especially since I want to build a few research-dedicated habitats.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

It feels like each colony is a much more serious investment, at least in the beginning. I kinda like it, for the moment at least.

It does make small planets a lot less attractive than they already were though (which I have never liked very much). I've been trying out the new Mastery of Nature and can't say I'm impressed as of yet. The 100 Influence cost of the edict is killer, Influence is precious and hard to accumulate. Got more use out of the tile-clearing discount early on but now I'm rolling in energy and basically any energy cost is irrelevant.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

You shouldn't, as a rule, have many systems with only a +2 research in them, the lowest I have is at least 2 size 2 deposits.

I've seen a handful of systems that just have the star as the only thing with any resources on them. They're not extremely common but they happen, a +3 or +2 energy star happens.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I feel like it'd be better for the game if leviathans and other dangerous aliens were weighted towards spawning in dead-end systems with only one connection. I'm someone who likes to expand and blob out a lot, and if I got a start like that I'd just have to call it quits, but at the same time I like the idea of defensive hyperlane chokepoints.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

update: if you click on something that should be a valid target it will build it, they just don't show up. However:

Come on guys, measure twice cut once. They're not planning to loving slide this thing over when it's finished, are they?

Looks like NASA still hasn't figured out the whole imperial versus metric thing

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Spyderizer posted:

Dumb question, is there still a research penalty per population?

There is not, to my knowledge.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Looks like it's always optimal to specialize starbases, like if you build an Offworld Trading Company you want every module to be a Trading Hub, if you build a Logistics office they should all be Anchorages, and if you build a Fleet Academy they should all be Shipyards. Prolly not saying anything anybody doesn't already know but it's something I do appreciate in the expansion because I've always liked specialization and it feels natural and more meaningful than the old approach to starports.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

What I'm not getting yet is if its ever worth it to put more batteries/hangars on a station instead of whatever? Doesn't seem like a good tradeoff for what you get?

I haven't really had a chance to use defensive stations yet because in my current game I only have two immediate neighbors and both are friendly and I don't feel like starbases to try and stop pirates when I don't really have a good chokepoint is worth it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I must admit these colonizing/anti-expansion mechanics have me at a bit of a loss. I have tons of empty space. Should I just be expanding like mad?

My two neighbors to the north are friendly. The marauders don't bother me because I have no rivals to pay them, and when they occasionally pop up to ask for tribute I'm rich enough to not even care. Take your 500 energy and leave me alone. I'm building research-focused habitats.

Also, I feel the wormhole mechanics are a bit bugged. I have a wormhole in one of my systems, I had a scientist examine it, but they won't actually enter the wormhole because they magically know there are hostiles on the other side. And yet my military ships won't enter it because it hasn't been explored yet. So my only option is to set a science ship with a scientist into an area I know is hostile? Seems like that should play out differently.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

Seriously, every time I attempt to figure out what the hell is going on with the fleet manager and I just get more confused. It seems as though the ships I want to do stuff with in regards to upgrades and things like that no longer register in the fleet management screen.

Speaking of fleet manager, apparently I can assign negative amounts of ships to a fleet.

As far as I can tell this design doesn't actually exist.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't want to alarm you, but I suggest you prepare for war and annihilate your eastern neighbors immediately. They are creepy ghosts coming to get you.

I didn't even notice that. It is somewhat alarming.

I don't want to wipe out the UNE though. They've been super friendly to me and even shifted ethics towards materialist to be more like me!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I think my preferred change to maintenence would just be to make it so you get a couple more buildings that cut maintenence, so you can make dedicated fleet bases. I like having to decide where I'm actually going to base my fleet because I need it to respond quickly to attacks.

I think it's odd that Anchorages have no effect on maintenance. At least for docked fleets.

Also, am I crazy, or was there something said to the effect that we would be getting a map option to more evenly distribute starts instead of only having "random" and "clustered"? It would appear my map generation packed the vast majority of the empires in one corner of the map.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

:stare: I had no idea you could actually, like... do normal trade deals with the Fallen Empires. Out of nowhere the Blorg Forerunners offered to give me 21,000 Energy for Teldar Crystals. I say what the hell, sure. Then I go and trade my entire energy surplus back for about 20k minerals from the Blog and the materialist FE (who likes me because of common ethics). These guys are like the new trade stations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jazerus posted:

only the xenophile ones, because they think it's cute that you want to deal with them like you're actually people

all of the others would prefer you go away, please

The Materialists are also willing to trade with my Fanatic Materialist empire. Suspect that the Spiritualists are the same for their matching ethos.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tomn posted:

Ironically I find it pretty useless, in 2.0 energy is much more the limiting factor than minerals in the late game due to high upkeep costs.

High upkeep costs of what? Ships cost more minerals than energy in upkeep now.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I just hit the "midgame" point and I'm able to run two trade deals for -100 energy +50 minerals and still have around a +200 energy surplus, but then I did also build about 8 starports that have nothing but Trading Hub modules.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Taear posted:

Most people don't think about it this hard. Just expand! If it works out badly and you feel slow, then cut back.
You don't need to work it out so extremely finely.

This is an ignorant reply. Caring about the numbers is important for actually examining the game.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

But not for playing it.

Knowing which options are best in which situations is part of playing it. It's a strategy game.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, but as I said, expansion and exploitation of the resources in new systems is always desirable in almost any situation unless you have something else existentially critical to do with the up front costs. The question is how good it is which is fairly academic and can be easily substituted with "pick the systems with the biggest numbers first"

Like, you can work it out down to the last unit but there's no reason to other than curiosity.

I don't know if it's so clear-cut. Yes, I do believe it should be very possible to keep up on tech costs while expanding relentlessly. But Unity is a different story, and I suppose it depends on just how valuable unity is to you.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

:getin:

Edit: Titans are a PITA in the fleet designer. It won't recognize my current design as the titan that is actually in the fleet, no matter what. So okay, I decide to remove the design and add it back, see if that fixes it. Except I can't even add any more Titan designs to the fleet because I'm at my Titan cap. Because there's a titan in my fleet that the game doesn't recognize, except when it does to annoy you.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 26, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Seems like the Expansion tradition per-colony unity cost reduction could use a buff imo.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 26, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tomn posted:

Defensive starbases in a large late-game empire. The defense platforms in particular add up fast.

I suppose so, though is it really worth spamming them out? I'm building them at the late stage of the game though it feels a bit more like it's so I don't hit my mineral cap more than anything else, and yeah it's starting to make my maintenance costs creep up but at this point I already have a bunch of the matter converters built, not to mention three +50mineral-100energy deals active that I can cancel in a pinch to conserve energy again should I need to. Mine might be an unusual case though. I'm definitely getting some use out of them, just built a Dyson Sphere for another +1000 energy.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I appreciate that in addition to the option to offer tribute to marauders, you can also just insult them.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fair warning: if you skip a tier in progression of a weapon due to salvaging, your starbases will not adjust :downs:

I have researched Marauder missiles but never got around to Fusion Missiles because I salvaged Antimatter Missiles from pirates. So, my stations still use Nuclear Missiles.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wait, these purging pops aren't providing any energy? WTF?

Pretty sure that's a bug.

Is something off with Fallen Empires awakening due to relative power now? It's 2429 in my game and none of the FEs have awoken yet. By now I've far eclipsed their power and if I wasn't a Pacifist I might go conquer one of them. Seems like Pacifist really limits your options when you're too powerful to declare rivals (which is required for enforce ideology).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Has anyone tested out Megacorporations yet in this patch?

The bonuses to trading hubs and the early private colony ships seem like they'd really snowball together. Pump energy production early, use that to fund your expansion, spend your minerals to upgrade the starbase to another set of trading hubs, start trading energy for minerals with the merchant exchanges, etc etc etc.

That's what I'm playing in my first game, though I'm not certain how reliable my results are given I had a fairly isolated spot with plenty of room for expansion. It snowballed nicely but the only military threats were pirates.

Fun fact: while a trading hub requires either the trade enclave or a colonized planet, primitives apparently count so you can build trading hubs in a starport in a system that is only inhabited by primitives.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 27, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'm slowly learning you should probably never look at what the AI empires are doing on their planets because now I'm asking do they never, ever build the unique capital-only buildings? I've looked at the capitals of pretty much every other AI empire and not a single one has the Research Institute, Galactic Stock Exchange, etc.. In fact, it looks like the Khanate still has primitive farms on their capital. Is it because they don't redevelop tiles? Terraforming also seems random on them. An AI empire spawned with the Survivor trait, and they eventually terraformed their homeworld which was presumably a Tomb World at one point. Great, except they have Alpine preference and terraformed it into a Savannah world.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Do claims ever expire? One of my vassals is still Hecking Mad because he has claims on a variety of my poo poo from before I subjugated him.

I believe claims can only be lost through war. There doesn't seem to be a time-based expiration. Humiliate war goal definitely makes the enemy give up any claims they have on your space.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Looks like the Federation Fleet is still weird. It certainly gives no fucks about command limit, mine's at 782/200 and counting. Fleet capacity, looks like you can cheat it as before like queuing up a bunch of ships while it's near capacity. Nice way to have a huge amount of maintenance-free ships in a giant doomstack.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Has anyone else seen a bug where hyperlane pathing just straight up doesn't work during wars sometimes? Like systems in the empire you are at war with are suddenly unreachable for no particular reason.

WMain00 posted:

Yup I've seen that and wasn't sure whether it's some sort of technology or a bug. Seems like a bug since it basically means there's no way of getting into enemy space.

I suspect the new way FTL inhibitors work is causing this as stated:

Jabor posted:

FTL Inhibitors?

If a system has an FTL inhibitor on a planet, you can't leave that system except via the hyperlane you enter from unless you take the planet first. That could cause some systems to become unreachable unless you actually occupy worlds.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The War in Heaven kicked off, and... the Federation Victory screen popped up due to the league of non-aligned powers controlling enough planets to win :confuoot:

Think I'll still play this out it should be interesting.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

The War in Heaven kicked off, and... the Federation Victory screen popped up due to the league of non-aligned powers controlling enough planets to win :confuoot:

Think I'll still play this out it should be interesting.

War in Heaven seems a little less buggy than before, though there are still oddities. The main thing is that it seems to work as a standard war of conquest, any system you take, you keep (unless one of your war allies has a claim on it, in which case it goes to them, you have the planet for like a brief few days before it flips to whoever owns the starport), which is good.

However, the "ending" is was odd. Each time I destroyed one of the AEs, their allies became my vassals. Except they were still at war with me. So I was at war with my own vassals with the "War in Heaven" wargoal giving -1000 and pretty much unenforceable (I have no idea what it would do anyway). So I just status quo'd out and they remained my vassals after the war. Weird but not game-breaking.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Aethernet posted:

You can make claims when at war - just go to talk to them and click 'make claims'. Not sure whether it's more expensive for defensive wars - it's +100% for offensive wars.

You can also make claims in a defensive war in the system view by clicking the button in the bottom-left. Discovering this feature is how I finally got the Spiritualist FE to stop annoying my Pacifist Spacecorp with periodic wars because they were pissy about me robot ascending and settling a 25-tile gaia world.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

Citadel with maxed out defence platforms and ion cannons and nothing but gun and missile emplacements(with the range upgrade and 2 different auras) in a system with a ringworld, each segment of which contains nothing but fortresses and shield generators protecting the only hyperlane leading into the empire core worlds.

Jump drives exist for a reason. It does seem like the awakened FEs will use their jump drives to bypass bastions if necessary.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

For size I honestly can't imagine playing on anything beyond medium and .25 planets. Planet management and ship travel times just become such a drag.

Planet management is most of the game for me. I usually go around 1.25-1.5 habitable planets, pick perks to increase core worlds and go big. Now add station management to that (though the quick list becomes somewhat unwieldy once you have 30+ stations on top of planets and habitats).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Circle of life still doesn’t seem all that great even with he increased penalties?

I don't think 25-tile perfect worlds are really something you need to worry about the unity/research hit from. You will earn that back one way or another.

It's the immense initial investment in time/resources that just makes me think "meh, I'll increase habitability and make do".

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s more that you get 100 tiles for 110k minerals when you could’ve had more tiles in habitats for the same cost. The advantage to the ring world is lesser penalties and mineral production which is pretty meh

It's fair to note that habitats cost a fair amount of Influence per habitat now, while only the initial ringworld project costs influence (equal to 3 habitats). Influence is a very valuable commodity now. Habitats are certainly far easier to deal with though.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Same here, buddy. I really want to see one. I put max FEs in this game in hope and it's 2438 with nothing happening yet. Half the cool events people post in the thread I've never seen. I don't know what the Contingency is, the crisis is the Unbidden 100% of the time, there's some kind of event chain where you get a ringworld? Rebellions?

Honestly the War in Heaven, even when it works correctly, is pretty underwhelming. At least in 2.0. It took until after 2400 for my FEs to wake up, and they decided to show up to the party with some stacks that were straight-up inferior to what I was fielding at that point. Didn't even need to specialize or pay attention to what they were using.

Contingency has been a little more challenging, one of their worlds popped up right in the middle of my territory. I did destroy the world but took too many losses to immediately set out and destroy the others (1.5x Crisis strength). We'll see how it plays out. Overall though I don't feel a lot has changed in the endgame aside from making it a more annoying to get around, even a maxed-out Bastion starbase is barely going to register as a speedbump to the Contingency's incursion fleets. So that stuff is basically irrelevant.

That Ghost Signal thing sounds really annoying though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dilber posted:

so crisis's definately need to be tuned a bit more. I'm having to abandon my game because I physically can't beat the unbidden, despite being the largest empire with the largest fleets in the galaxy, with a maxed out fleet capacity cap and ships designed to counter them. I have 180k+ fleet power, and they sometimes have more than that in individual star systems, let alone their home anchor.

I'm only on 1x contingency.

I'm on 1.5x and fighting them off, though with heavy amounts of attrition. Build more anchorages. Expand more. More pops. It's not exactly rocket science to get a bigger fleet in 2.0.

Really the only reason I'm having to start off on the back foot is because of two things: they popped up in the middle of my territory with a ~400k fleet guarding the machine world (which I destroyed, with heavy losses), and then I was dumb and thought I was clever by speccing to a shield-heavy layout to counter their all-laser setup, then did battle in a pulsar system like a genius. That did not go so well so I had to rebuild (thankfully this was far from my territory so I wasn't immediately punished for the loss).

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 28, 2018