Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Giant dicks in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I got home and fired up the new version + expansion. Uhhhh is this normal?

Yes. It looks like your closest neighbors are one of the new horde empires that can spawn in the galaxy. They don't have planets; instead they have giant fuckoff stations and huge fleets. They'll mostly leave you alone, except the occasional raid and the new midgame crisis where they can band together and start conquering the galaxy.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I just discovered that they nerfed trader enclaves. Instead of a flat trade, it's now a monthly trade. I can no longer dump my stockpiled energy into minerals for fleet rebuilding, which means I'm probably going to lose this war.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

mysterious frankie posted:

To everyone who answered my question about buying the sale bundle (plus Apocalypse, I'm told),

Do you think that I will actually get into this, considering that, no matter how much I've wanted to get into 4X games in the past I'm too dumb\no wait, lazy\no, dumb\no, let's say lazy, just so that I feel better about myself to really get into them, no matter how interesting they sound on paper? Civ is about the most complicated thing I've been able to get myself into, and I only played that sparingly. Everything else I've gotten I've usually started up, kinda stared at, then went "oh gently caress this, I can't even" and turned off. It's a bummer, because conceptually I've liked the games, but I can't get past the initial hump.

Basically, is there something here right out of the package to hook an impatient person, allowing me to kinda learn everything else later after I'm invested? Or is this gonna be another $50 I throw down, only to feel the shame of a dipshit every time I see it on my desktop and tell myself "I'll, uh, try that again... later"?

To be honest it's probably the easiest paradox game to get into, but if the genre hasn't grabbed your attention in the past this isn't the game to jump in on.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Ahahahaha the War in Heaven just ended in a status quo white peace. That was kind of anticlimactic...

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Shugojin posted:

You sure can't beat it in the fleet manager, anyway.

Repeating my question about the WiH for a new page because I'm really curious:

Don't know if anyone answered this yet, but just in case: in my game they just peaced out and then nothing really happened. After both AEs declared peace and the League declared peace, absolutely nothing happened for the next 50 years until I got bored and rolled a new empire.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Soup du Jour posted:

Wait, there’s more than one outcome to Improbable Ceramics? I’ve only ever gotten my scientists melting down over being unable to explain it.

If you're spiritualist, you have a better chance of the good outcome which is +25% research speed for 20 years. It's extremely cool and good when it happens.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't think any of the new achievements are working :(.

E: Wait, it didn't pop up in game but, it did award me them after I closed the game.

E2: However, it seems to have cherryh picked what it gave me and refused to give me the explore a natural wormhole achievement.

The wording on the wormhole achievement is kind of misleading. You actually have to send a ship through the wormhole to get it, not just the explore action.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

ConfusedUs posted:

New game. My second jump is to a pulsar system. After surveying it, I get a message that it’s a countdown that will end in 40 years. This system is at the end of a long hyper lane whose only exit is through every single inhabited system I own.

How hosed am I?

Not at all, you'll be fine, nothing bad is going to happen.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I just had the great khan die and somehow the khanate stayed together. It was extremely nice to see that something different could happen with them, but the empire the khan left behind was led by another belligerent dick head who kept right on declaring war to conquer the galaxy.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I get the unbidden almost every time, then again I mostly play spiritualists and psi jump is just so tempting

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Meridian posted:

Want to start playing, but also this new patch sounds super good and worth waiting for.

From the way they're talking it won't come out until early next year

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Love my psychic robot overlord

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Lmao at naming the expansion building on the LeGuin patch "Megacorp", really good irony

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

ZypherIM posted:

Please tell me this is real, because I can't goddamn believe it.

Also I'd like to note that in stellaris you can go past horse-loving straight into interbreeding.

It's extremely real,he has tweeted that quote multiple times.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
So uh I think I'm gonna have to ramp the difficulty back down, I only had 5k fleet power when the Khan rolled up

The new systems are going to take some getting used to, I have no idea what to build when anymore

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Oh also, I don't know if it's a spoiler or not but the first league home system now has an ecumenopolis you can colonize, putting it right up there with the cybrex for best precursor chain.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

How are u posted:

I'm slowly working through my first Le Guin game as fanatic xenophobe materialist space starfish with syncratic slaves (and I mean slowly, with all of the new micro-management in this patch i haven't found myself able to bump up over Normal speed), and I think I've hit my stride. Being xenophobes who don't use robots has let me avoid a lot of the things that I've seen people complaining about like species settling the wrong types of planets.

I got the First League precursor chain and just finished it, gaining the free Ecumenopolis and holy poo poo those are loving nuts! I just colonized it but in 100 years its going to be pumping out so much poo poo, amazing. I usually have gone for mega-structures but maybe I should skip them this time. Anybody have any thoughts on Ecumenopoli vs Ringworlds?

I'm pretty sure from a cost perspective that Ringworlds will be less efficient, but you also have to factor in the loss of raw materials production that happens when you convert a planet. I'm going to have to experiment with both once I get my feet a little more firmly planted in the expansion's new systems before I can say for sure.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I think I got a bug. I'm playing as a hive mind, and I got an anomaly that spawned two rudimentary robots on one of my worlds. The only problem is, the only slavery type available to me is livestock, so these robots are getting "eaten". What's worse is that I have the xenophage diplomacy modifier for it, and I can't even drive them out of my empire because literally all of the citizenship options for them are grayed out.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Shugojin posted:

Ahhh gently caress I accidentally kept the stupid rudimentary robots on the one world as a hive mind and now I have 2 pops of robot that I'm apparently somehow keeping as livestock and everyone has a malus on me for it but I literally cannot change their rights to disassemble them or whatever because I can't have robots

:rip:

This exact thing happened to me but it turns out you can sell them as slaves once you have access to the slave market .

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Also yeah it was extremely stupid that I was getting a diplomatic malus for eating my robots

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

wiegieman posted:

I may be wrong, but Habitats kiiiiind of look like hot garbage.

They need more district space or unique buildings or something, I've tried spamming them like before and they are baaaad in comparison to other things you could do with the resources it takes to build them

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

How are u posted:

It seems that taking syncretic evolution ultimately ends up as a bad choice, because there's no way to eventually uplift your special slaves and you end up with hundreds and hundreds of pops who are forbidden from working anything but the lowest level jobs.

poo poo!

If you take Evolutionary Mastery you can gene edit away the Proles trait, but it kind of sucks that the only way to make them good is with two Ascension Perks.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

wiegieman posted:

It's like, this thing has 4 alloy upkeep for 8 crappy district slots? That stuff is water in the desert cause they didn't even rebalance ship costs.

It's especially obvious when special fleets spawn - I opened the L-Gate and the grey tempest fleets were just so numerous that even as the most powerful non-FE in the galaxy it took me nearly 100 years to finally beat them back because it took forever to replenish losses

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I definitely think they should have kept it in the over a few more weeks

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Jay Rust posted:

This seems weird to me. What am I missing?

My uneducated guess is that maybe it's looking for an increase of 12 over your previous income? Weird either way though

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

karma_coma posted:

Im confused - upgrading my ships costs special resources that I may or may not have?

Yeah and it takes forever, like decades for larger fleets

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Haha started a new game and when one of the caravans came through they dropped off some pops and boy howdy I think they've got every negative trait in existence

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

ZypherIM posted:

They should have tomb world preference I think though? That gives them 60% on every planet, which means you can use them to snap up a lot of planets for a not terrible penalty. And eventually gene modding should let you fix them right up.

Yeah, they're Tomb World Psionics, but I'm not sure if that's enough early game to get over being repugnant, deviant, fleeting, slow breeders, especially since I already have migration treaties with all three climate types. I suspect that I'll be a lot happier with them once I can fix part of that mess, though.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Autonomous Monster posted:

Use the outliner. If you see a red suitcase, it's time to build. Otherwise, let them be.

Also I have to learn to stop worrying and love the empty building slot icon

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Well they are strictly better than the pops the other caravan sells- they don't even have climate traits and their only actual trait is just plus energy for jobs

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Is there any reason why I should take over manual creation of trade routes between hubs instead of letting the AI do it manually? I'm not really seeing a difference, especially since I can't seem to get them to do routes that don't go through high piracy systems.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the numbers on event fleets are.... a little questionable, now. anybody manage to hold off the Great Khan? i knuckled under, but usually I'm able to at least put up a fight.

In both my games so far the Great Khan has spawned multiple 10K plus fleets while most of the galaxy is still fiddling around with between 4-7k.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

No. I mostly use the trade view to gauge piracy.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing too. Side note: I don't like being forced to add weapon slots to stations to adequately deter piracy, and I don't like feeling like I have to build stations in places I would never build them before.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How does Gladius's Ultimate AI compared to the legacy game?

What other mods do you like?

I'm using the following:

- Auto Survey at AI Start (Seriously it's loving idiotic that this isn't a core feature)
- Beautiful Universe
- Better Faction Info
- Diverse Rooms
- EG* - Planet View + 24 Building Slots
- Job Descriptions
- Stronger Orbital Bombardment
- UI Overhaul 1080p Plus

When I use mods (usually after getting the achievements), Gulli's Planet Modifiers is a must. Auto Survey is good, I play humans a lot so I run with the Human Diversity mod, an assortment of namelists, Researcher Trait 'Fix', and the UI Overhaul. I used to play with a few others (Gigastructural Engineering for example), but most of them are either no longer maintained or don't make a lot of sense in 2.2.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Staltran posted:

Aren't ecumenopoleis much more powerful than hive/machine worlds, though?

Yes they are, as a hive mind I got the ecumenopolis from the first league quest chain and it was so much more powerful than the hive minds I eventually got

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

GunnerJ posted:

I'm not exactly as down on the game as OwlFancier but I am wondering what I'm doing wrong as a player when my empire building feels so much more reactive. I feel like my brain isn't out of tiles mode enough to be able to plan out what I am doing. But buildings feel more constrained and more needed and I'm not really planning long term so much as building what I can to keep ahead of my immediate resource need. Meanwhile, they way people in this thread talk, there are obvious ways to specialize every planet and I just don't get it yet. What's the tempo of empire building in 2.2, is what I am doing OK for the early game but I'll figure it out as I go along? (I've been playing a lot of short games that don't develop long because I'm testing out mods, tbh, so that could be an issue certainly.)

The flow I've developed is looking at my resources, seeing what I need more of, and then finding the nearest planet with max districts of that type. For second level resources like alloys or research, the max districts don't matter as much but it seems to work out well if you have a lot of city districts for housing.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Yeah habitats aren't really worthwhile ATM from my experience, the only reason I'm taking voidborn is to guarantee a way to get megastructures

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Can fanatic egalitarians even turn on forced resettlement? I literally don't remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
It's really feeling like this should have waited until like February for release.