Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ok that convinced me to roll back to 2.0.1, I want to try out that Origin Civics mod against AI which are at least some kind of obstacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Black Pants posted:

Is it the Worm quest that involves a planet of yours somehow gaining more population than could be accounted for, where the people actually on the planet basically don't know what you're talking about when told they didn't have neighbours yesterday?

GRAVITY IS DESIRE

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Black Pants posted:

Get the Origin Civics mod and start with Dyson Engineers and Voidborne. :getin:

I did this and it's a pretty micro-intensive playstyle but really, really fun. I wound up filling four systems with my tiny habs before I got the Voidborne ascension perk and wound up in my first major war of the game when I'd only just finished expanding the platforms in my home system, and building a single Droid so I could build colony ships to pave over all these useless biospheres in my territory. Now I've got three systems full of bizzare syncretically-evolved sophonts who actually live in the loving dirt on god damned planets, and they like it.

I do feel like all of the literal slaves which I actually liberated should be a little less pissed about being Recently Conquered. All are equal in the eyes of the Reverend Elder of the Snailien Stellar Drift! Oh well, at least I came out of the war with enough fleet power to swat leviathans with only 4-6k minerals worth of losses and three max admirals.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

Expand more, EXPAND MORE, unless you are a robot then you can do cheating robot tricks to expand far faster than meatbags, and EVERYONE will be specialized to their tile, EVERYONE.

Did we ever receive some method of ensuring that machine consciousness leaders are always picked from the model with the leadership buffs? I recall that, when they were first released, I eventually realized I would need to convert my empire one planet at a time to the leadership models just to even determine which planets have the host pops for the current leaders, and then a pop-by-pop resettlement and conversion in order to isolate each of them, for each new leader. It was a lengthy and frustrating process just to realize that leaders all have designated host pops in the first place, then not all of them are on your homeworld, even though early on it will seem that this is the case if you are as dense as I am (pretty sure some googling would have saved me this).

Anyway, specializing the capital world's entire population into leaders instead of into scientists in order to stack as many percentage bonuses onto the highest possible lab base yields is unthinkable to me! Machine empires are what gave me my uncomfortably intense fetish for Rank 9 and 10 leaders, and it seems like it was intended that we be able to specialize units for leadership purposes as well as tile yields.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Lynneth posted:

I just want some critters that look properly like they're mandatory aquatic instead of at best 'maybe amphibious' with some of the reptilians.

Seriously, it's a mild travesty that a game with a bog-standard Human portrait type and the option to start as Literally Us, on Earth and has both Syncretic Evolution as well as the Uplift doesn't have recognizable dog portraits.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Over There posted:

I had my "best friend" just call my fleet worthless and said I had to join them in order to survive.

Note that having a dinky fleet in comparison to nearby empires is basically signing your own death warrant, unless you have enough defensive depth that you can afford to status quo one or more wars and then build within ten years a fleet superior to the strength your enemy's fleet will be ten years from now. You need enough firepower on your side to present a credible threat on the defense.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Nevets posted:

Another cool idea would be to have any self-repair components cost negative time. Why wait for Tuesday when your mostly finished ship can leave spacedock today and make it's own tractor beam?

This is just the shakedown cruise, the tractor beams and photon torpedoes will be installed next Tuesday.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

So with the changes to resources coming up in LeGuin, shouldn't it be possible to mod in a superweapon which devastates an inhabited planet and turns it into a Barren world which can be mined for a hundred or two food?

Maybe specific to Devouring Swarms?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Abolish Time :pwn:

Comrade, the segmentation and tracking of time is a purely capitalist construct imposed on the cognition of sophonts in order to track and commodify units of work effort.

Only through the abolition of time will humanity be able to achieve reproduction via binary fission!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

chairface posted:

It's why I think a fun HOI4 mode would just be a random map and nation stats. WWII would be more interesting if maybe this time the USSR is the global naval power with a colonial empire because reasons.

A bit of a digression, but this mod might be up your alley for HoI. Populations, starting borders, resource amounts and locations, as well as initial ideologies are all randomized at the start. All nations start with identical initial unlocks and have a generic focus tree, including a chain of focuses which give you fast war goals on three random neighbors (if you don't have many neighbors you might have two focuses for the same nation). Nobody has any troops or ships in the field at game start, everyone starts with identical naked 20-width infantry templates (also a 10-width infantry reserve and maybe cav?).

Makes for a weird campaign, and you might want to pick up a mod to buff non-core manpower if you want to play past 3-4 conquests, but pretty fun for a few runs.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 26, 2018

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Pretty confident. The devil are generally conscious of the games flaws and of how people actually play it. Core Stellaris (without patches ) has improved and changed a great deal.

Wiz please do your next video wearing red plastic horns?!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

:golfclap:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Taear posted:

The best way to deal with the Khan I think is if you're near a marauder then focus on killing them before the Khan can happen. It's not always easy but it's 100% easier than dealing with the Khan.

Note that, at least in previous versions of the game, every time you destroy a Marauder habitat there is a dice roll to determine if a Khan will emerge to rally their people together in reaction. Found this out in my first or second post-2.0 game when I scraped enough military power together to wipe out the fleets in a single Marauder system and figured I could invade, mop up, rebuild, and repeat two more times to get rid of the space assholes whose only path out of their territory was through mine.

On the other hand, I had read about the immediate-submission --> jack all the Khan's gains out from under them gimmick so I just said Yeah, sure to becoming a satrapy and didn't even lose any more ships.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Gort posted:

Gonna give playing a megacorp a go. What's a good species/empire setup for them?

I'm doing a fanatic 'phile, authoritarian megacorp run which is pretty fun except I didn't get to do any megacorp poo poo until I met entities on the other sides of the assholes surrounded by. Now that I have some branch offices up they're pulling in about as much energy as all of my mining stations combined.

Oh yeah, and gene ascension. I've actually never done this ascension path, and I'm mixing it with a health dose of alienfucking even though it's going to be a nightmare to genemod everyone.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Oh yeah, I held my second ascension perk open from indecision and popped the required genetics tech next, so I hauled out the calipers basically as soon as it was physically possible and had building slots reserved for Vats on most worlds when the tech finished.

Also, Fen Habbanis V threw the Guerilla Terraforming event from an anomaly and it succeeded, rolling into a size 20 Arid world, so I'm considering a second size 20 ecu in the same system for peak space opera.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Splicer posted:

Did you know that that Extensive Moon System grants mining job bonuses and extra mining districts?
Did you know that Extensive Moon System is exclusive to Gas Giants?

This would make sense if a Hab in orbit around a world with such modifiers could build raw resource districts in addition to whatever they get normally, and would be a pretty neat non-obvious buff to Habs.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

THE BAR posted:

Can the caravaneers screw you over? The only thing I've ever bought was a cruiser for 200 energy, I always figured the planet bonuses would backfire in some way. They seem like.. Such a bunch.

Every time I've made a deal with them they have delivered without screwing me. However, there are at least three different events related to Caravneers being present in a colonized system or having recently departed which have negative effects. Pop loss as stated above, as well as energy and food mysteriously going missing are the ones I've encountered.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I finally got how to play Megacorp and Le Guin. What are the best opening steps for expansion?

When do I build housing districts? I've noticed that building job districts remove housing slots.

Err, every generator, mine, or farm district you build should provide two housing, enough to house the two pops who can work there.

There's no buff from having free housing on a world, so essentially, for me, if a planet has an unemployed pop icon, I mosey over and see how much free housing there is. If it's more than one, I'm building a resource district, if it's one or less, a city district.

Also, if the situation is the former AND I have a free building slot AND I am good at current raw resource production levels, I consider the advantages of buildings before slapping down a resource district.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The idea of treating the outpost/starbase for a system like an artificial planet, with a few slots for pops and then more for every mining station, was floated in the lead up to LeGuin and I would be for it if there was any evidence that the AI would be able to take advantage of it, but as it is pop-free space development seems to be the sector of the economy which AI players are rock solid on.

Of course, having such a system would open up some cool poo poo, like having Habitats be folded into the spaceborne pop UI as serious upgrades to the size and capabilities of a system's spaceborne population, and providing a very natural hook for another proposal, that megastructure construction involve small numbers of pops working in construction jobs gradually escalating as progress is made.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Jabarto posted:

Is there a reason for the decision that stops robot production to exist when you could just disable the factory instead and save yourself the upkeep?

Things like this really make it seem like you were supposed to be able to call a planetary population "Done" and then redirect its pop growth into a migration pool, or something like that.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I'm doing a max-trade-value built megacorp run as fanatic 'phile authoritarian space foxes. Spent about 2240 to 2290 in a constant series of rotating wars, slowly losing fleet power to keep up spending on fort stations and losing a chunk of not-yet-colonized space before finally locating, charting, and in 2281 settling the Fen Habbanis system.

Within three years I've got two full forge arcologies, settled two new worlds for more minerals, and I'm working on a third fleet to complement the two which are up to full strength. I've taken bites out of two of the three neighbors, including the homeworld of the first aggressor and every possession except the home system and a colony of the hive mind.

I did wind up in a war again with my corporate rivals to the south, Equivalent to my triple fleets and about my size in claimed vacuum in 2289, but I had 4k alloys banked and four anchorage stations about to finish upgrading, plus citadels at the two border choke points from the last war.

Then as I'm about to invade them, raising a couple armies from every world, the Khan wakes up. The treaty-protected remnants of my other enemies are the only thing between space steppe archers and my employees, and they're gone immediately. I can probably beat one of their fleets with the four of mine massed, in the open, maybe two at my all-plasma-platform pulsar citadel.

Instead I bent the loving knee, demobilized my army, and colonized four more 18+ worlds. Did you folks know that the satrapy "volunteer" fleet which gets plonked in your home system will engage enemies in your space? My competitors seemed to be unaware of this, which was neat because they wrecked their fleets right before my Dread Masters' expansion fleets arrived.

I started getting refugees within five years, and then notifications that pops of my founder species are for sale. By 2310 I am selling something like 700 food and 40 alloys per month (still a 200/mo surplus) and buying every slave I can find to "free" into an employee slot. Ecumenopolis is at 130ish pops with only the Capitol, cybernetics building, clone vats and clinics for buildings.

My homeworld is also 120+ pops, a lot of slaves have been freed to a life of mindless paperwork drudgery, as I've got probably a dozen Commercial Zones, plus city districts, numismatic shrine, merchant guilds (once I got too big I reformed into an Oligarchy), and everything else I can put together. Currently 397 trade value just from the homeworld, the entire trade network is secure thanks to Anchorages with a few hangars slapped on and is bringing in I think also just under 400.

Just unlocked the Arcology project, dope because there was also a size 22 arid planet in the Fen Habbanis system, and it's going to he my consumer goods eco. And, now that I don't need to spend on fleet expansion, I just landed colony ships on every remaining uncolonized world within my borders.

I've got a couple of former hive mind worlds with hive mind capitals; my plan is to resettle their populations when the new colonies pop up and abandon those worlds to recognize with a proper building (googling resulted in this being the only way to accomplish it). By the time the replacement colonies are founded, I will have more pops from my twenty+ established worlds to swap in.

Pretty sure another twenty years and maybe unlocking battleships will put me on par with the Khan. He's being held in a couple of places but is wrecking a solid half of the galaxy right now, AND eating 145ish of my minerals per month.

Then at that point I will basically be at the critical mass point, until the crisis fires. Pretty sure this is the first game of Stellaris where I will actually play long enough to break into the endgame!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Seconding the option to create robot friends! I'm imagining a Federation of collector machine minds happily chattering about stats of and swapping around bio-tropies like Pokemon cards...all while slowly crushing societies out of existence in order to get more.

Also I rolled up a fresh assimilator to try the changes with, machine empires were my favorite play and I haven't touched them since LeGuin. My guaranteed worlds were size 16 with 3-5 of each district (eh, start Rural transition to Tech) and 19 with 15! mining districts. The homeworld has 8 or 9 mineral slots and 11 energy, so I'm sitting on a really strong start.

Surveys find that I'm sandwiched between an authoritarian militarist to the west, and a spiritual militarist to the east, each with one choke point. Bastion stations start immediately in those systems and get priority over naval expansion for alloys, including a complement of defense platforms for each; war on two fronts is inevitable.

Those systems are linked by a two-jump route through a system with a habitable planet, where my shipyard is obviously going to go. There's one more habitable world in my pocket of space and it is size 18 with 12 mineral slots. That world and the 15-slot one both have one of the upgraded rich mineral planet modifiers, so if I can make it to 2240 I'm pretty confident that will be it for my neighbors.

The doubled pop growth from my cyborg buddies is basically incredible, I can barely keep up with housing. It's like year eight in my game, initial double war is over, I have two full fleets and am researching destroyers. My homeworld has five total alloy foundries and I'm making 92 minerals per month though I'm almost at storage cap so I'm converting a lot of it on the internal market. In ten years I'm just going to annihilate both of them at once without blinking at losses. Not sure how much of this is robot buffs and how much is the start roll, but it is fun as gently caress!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Aethernet posted:

Well, the devs are under pressure to get the next patch out.

And if they manage to tweak the growth and pop assignment systems to run smoothly in the background without noticable weirdness, they WILL be the champions.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

GamingHyena posted:

Is Nihilistic Acquisition a good unity pick for a devouring swarm? Will I just grab a bunch of dudes and then eat them?

I picked it up as the intro for my Assimilators game and hoooooly gently caress is it hilarious. Basically yes, and yes!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Splicer posted:

The new archaeology system could be a neat addition to crises. Have them start off very powerful and have one of the archaeology things running in the background. On certain triggers (losing a certain number of planets or ships, an ally getting wiped out, scanning debris) it does the rolls progression and at each breakpoint you gain stuff or impose maluses. Like the decadence mechanic but tailored to each crises.

I really like that idea; how many sci-fi series have a plot arc where the main characters need to decipher an ancient mystery in order to retrieve a limited-use macguffin weapon or gain information about a seemingly-unstoppable reawakened threat?

I'm completely down with some crisis-related archeology mission chains inspired by blending Stargate Atlantis and Mass Effect.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

If the Unbalanced addon for Origins Civics ever updates, they had an origin where you start in a cut off system with a ruined gateway and Gateway Engineering so you can rebuild yours and build others. It was definitely a weird and pretty OP yet very slow start.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I had no idea soldier jobs added to that. Nice, going to keep that in mind.

It's one of those things where having a basic fort on every planet of reasonable size will give you an unexpectedly palpable fleet cap bump, and double if you pick up the related Society techs.

Not sure if upgrading them is worth the motes, and Anchorages are definitely more significant at a higher price point.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

mushroom_spore posted:

:shepface: Hopefully all that poo poo stacks.

I also found Earth, but they're in the atomic age and given the flavor text I assume they will nuke themselves before I can build all the way over there and take 'em.

It does stack! And,

Starting at Atomic Age primitives start rolling on the Great Filter and don't stop until they finish the Early Space Age and become One-Planet Minors. I've seen this happen maybe ten times, in hundreds of hours, and I always run with the pre-space civ slider maxed. I think the special thing about non-player Sol is what age you find Earth in, not any subsequent events, so your humans have the same shot everyone else does.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

I know the real answer is "it's a video game don't think to hard about it" but how would y'all fluff around the fact that building more power plants on Earth lets me then run factories 100 light years away? I'm trying to come up with a vaguely hard sci-fi explanation and the best I can come up with is, like, energy credits are actually a super dense synthetic hydrocarbon that are synthesized in power districts but that you can put on a freighter and mail around the galaxy? Not very relevant I know but I just like thinking about the fluff.

The same way that energy mining stations work: they're not creating electricity and transmitting it, they are extracting and refining some sort of material which can be used as fuel. Hydrogen, skimming plasma off of stellar surfaces, tapping into terrestrial hydrocarbon deposits.

Just like "food" represents "matter which pops can break down with their bodies in order to sustain life," not meat or vegetables or whatever, and "minerals" represents raw structural and alloying ingredients, presumably including concrete/analogous materials, energy is a bunch of fuels being shipped around your empire.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

You can put large lasers/plasma on a destroyer hull as soon as you research them, it is basically the key to making doorknocking a hardened starbase affordable. M kinetic aft has roughly the same max range, whatever hulls survive can be refit around mid game as needed.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Everybody starts with basic PD now right? I know I wrecked an AI last week, at the stage where everyone was still rocking corvettes, partly due to its insistence on sending PD 'vettes against Interceptor 'vettes. Just voluntarily discarding a weapon slot ~

Yeah, missiles are amazing if you can land all of them, but everyone starts with a hard counter for them.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I started a new galaxy with Guilli's on in case it wouldn't cause a crash, and it hasn't...yet!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Splicer posted:

Gimmick run: Repugnant, Solitary, Wasteful, Extremely Adaptive, Fast Breeders.

I already live in hellworld America why would I want to play pretend space America?!

Doctor Zero posted:

Okay then that seems like a decent reason to have the +anomaly speed then.

Hands down the thing your science ships spend most of their time doing is travelling from place to place, then scanning, and only THEN researching anomalies. +Anomaly speed isn't nothing but I can't see picking it over any other bonus.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I mean, I feel like huge buffs to sublight speed, get-the-gently caress-out-ive-ness speed, and curious inquiry speed definitely still qualify for being named To Boldly Go ~

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

There are only so many 2-point negative traits, but also you could have had (fractionally more than) 1 extra pop for every 5 pops you grow if you had instead paid for Rapid Breeder, based on Phobophila's numbers.

Basically pop growth percentage effectively increases the base numbers all job yield bonuses apply to, by increasing the number of jobs worked for bonuses to apply to. It also has a scalar multiplicative effect on buffs like Mining Guilds by over time providing a stacking number of Miners to produce +1 Minerals which is then also subject to percentage modifiers itself.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

I've had the event but it always never gives me an option to take them, just the your scientists figured out how to prevent it thing or the crew dies thing.

That's Brain Parasites, Brain Slugs come from settling a planet which has a modifier, eventually you will start getting events explaining that 10/10 folks who were taken as hosts by the Goa'Old like it and leading up to a decision to adopt them for the whole empire.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Humiliation also results in the execution of the Humiliated nation's leader, I thought?

Or is that just when a Fallen Empire Humiliates a normal player? I do recall the flavor text mentioning alien commandos appearing as if out of thin air after the concession speech, immediately killing my Emperor, and then vanishing before anyone could react.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I am formally demanding an upgraded ringworld which maintains a uniform distance to the closest star in binary and trinary systems, while also linking together at appropriate intersection spots.

Also quaternary systems so I can build a fourleafedcloverworld.

Real talk, though, I can build Habitats over stars now. When did that change or has it just been so long since I built a Hab that I've forgotten?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

The real trick is working out a simulated day/night cycle so the population don't lose their minds.

Dyson Kite; 1/3d-1/2 of a full Dyson Sphere, rotating around the star to provide shade and harvest energy for the ring's homeostasis systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I've always figured that as similar to the gas giants which can be mined for energy; the star emits a gas of some type which can be used as an energy source, and is easily and practically gathered.

Might be neat to have the energy value of stars and gas giants scale up with shielding and/ot engine technology.