Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

When is patch 1.0.4 going to be released? It's been two years and it's starting to seem like Paradox is just dropping support for the game in favor of releasing a constant stream of DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sindai posted:

So how exactly does the ST mod do FTL travel now?

Max hyperlanes with the graphic indication removed, probably.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Is it because they have an ally in the war I'd need to occupy every single one of both of their planets?

Ideally you would use this moment to destroy as much of their infrastructure as you can before loving off.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ms Adequate posted:

Just wanna say that building a dedicated fleet yards starbase and calling it like "Trimus Fleet Yards" and making GBS threads out six ships at a time from it to reinforce a fleet really quickly is extremely good & cool.

I hope that the AI likes to do this as well so I can nuke it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Peachfart posted:

I think it is fair for people to be annoyed that the AI is literally broken and just doesn't even try to do anything sometimes. That doesn't mean I hate Stellaris or Paradox, but I wish they would focus on making the AI know how to play the game again.

I'm honestly amazed that people are still posting this poo poo in the year of our lord 2018.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Arrath posted:

Sure, and that's fair. People being all :rant: and "WHY ARE YOU MAKING DLC AND NOT FIXING THE AI PARADOX" when they do a story pack teaser trailer can get bent, tho.

Maybe they're constantly working on that in the background and tweets about AI fixes just aren't as engaging as new actual content??

I see posts like this and I wonder what these trogs think devs should be doing. If they hire more people to work on the AI then they have to train the hirees, which means that manpower currently assigned to AI is now going to be assigned to training new staff. That means that there's less time being put into fixing the AI, which means that the AI takes longer to be fixed. There isn't an amazing "make AI more better fasterer" button that Wiz can press and magically have additional trained coders on the project.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Peachfart posted:

They released a huge update(a good rebalance) where the AI can't play, and hasn't been able to play, for a month and a half. Can you not see why people would be a bit annoyed?

It's reasonable to be annoyed that the AI is hosed. It's real weird to be annoyed that the team's writers, artists and composers are continuing to do their jobs in the meantime.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It'd be interesting to see if you could apply this to planet surfaces by clipping the points onto planetary models. Larger uninhabitable planets being segmented into different resource nodes would be cool.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Splicer posted:

Wiping out entire civilisations to reduce endgame processor lag #juststellaristhings

I still think that the game could do with a re-balancing to reduce overall pop counts. One pop being able to work multiple tiles would be nice.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I haven't played this game in almost a year and I'm deeply upset that my science vessels apparently cannot path through multiple unexplored systems.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It's hosed up that you can't have 4k cube maps in this game.

e: It's also real hosed up that the solar system color grading to make planets match the light cast by the central star also applies to the background.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 12, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

RedSnapper posted:

I'm a bit wary of the supposed multiple resources thing but I like how in the screen he's using the same ship type, symbol and color scheme as my current civ. Different pattern, though.

The resource thing seems like it could be really cool if it comes with trade route mechanics, allowing you to cut other Empires off from vital resources.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Often Abbreviated posted:

Unfortunately for this thread it is Spaceward Ho!

Weird way of spelling Aurora.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Is there a visual indication of sensor range anywhere?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Are there any half decent ways to scout out the galaxy now? Ordering research ships to explore one jump at a time seems pointlessly tedious.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Aethernet posted:

Queuing up systems to explore by holding down shift?

Is this part of the beta patch?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Libluini posted:

No, this was in the game since 1.0

This isn't part of the game currently.

It's possible that a mod I'm using may have broken something, but I have no idea what it might be since most of the ones I'm using are just graphical.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I can que up orders for almost everything, but if I try to do it for exploring systems for the first time the game usually throws a "no route to selected system" at me, even if I have the hyperlanes to that star mapped.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Splicer posted:

Are you trying to explore with non-science ships? Because that is gone now.

Nope, I'm only trying with science ships. It seems like I can tell them to explore any system in sensor range, but they don't want to travel to any out of it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think that I've probably done one of the :spergin: things possible.

I took a screenshot of a galaxy in Space Engine and converted it into a Stellaris galaxy texture.

I then exported 50 cubemaps from that Space Engine galaxy at set distances and set each star in Stellaris to use a set of 10 of those cubemaps based on its percentage distance from the galactic core.

Here's 25%:

50%

90%:

Because the cubemaps were taken from the texture's original galaxy the color of the cosmic dust visible in the cubemap roughly corresponds to the color of the area where that star is located, with stars closer to the core having more yellow/pinkish clouds and those further away becoming more blue.

I hope that in the future we'll have more flags to determine star cubemaps so that things like nebula specific cubemaps are possible. I'm sure most people wouldn't care about stuff like this, but I feel as though an emphasis distance and environment based backgrounds help add a sense of location to the game.

Libluini posted:

Now that is weird. I suggest looking through your mods to see if you accidentally switched on a mod changing your UI.

Turns out I forgot to turn a mod off after doing some testing earlier. :downs:

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 15, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vengarr posted:

That's pretty cool. You gonna upload that to Steam?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1442064444

It might be broken so enjoy.

e: The Steam page is some kind of hosed, but the mod seems fine once downloaded so I guess that works.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 15, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It's been over two years and there still isn't a graphical representation of civilian spacecraft flying around the galaxy. My immersion :bahgawd:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Shadowlyger posted:

This game already runs like rear end one hundred years in, you want to add more poo poo for it to track?

I mean, my secret hope for a resource update is that it adds trade/traffic routes for your empire's resources so that they can be raided by pirates and opposing factions. If the game does do that then I don't see why they shouldn't include abstracted, dummy traffic to travel along those routes like Sim City 4 or Total War.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 18, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Truga posted:

Didn't someone on pdx forums figure out that switching your empire to a tiny one even in the late game makes the game run smooth as silk? Obviously if your big empire is now being managed by AI there should be more slowdown, not less, but here we are..

Someone recently posted a thread showing that just playing the game in general slows it down in comparison to AI only games. He thought that the cause was probably the game's UI and player pausing, which would in part explain why a smaller empire would run better.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-performance-analysis-1.1109131/

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 18, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Epicurius posted:

So the only way to win is not to play?

In terms of the AI only game performance, the number of AI empires drops performance at the start of the game, while the number of planets will drop performance towards the end of it. A game with a large number of plants will eventually run worse than a game with a large number of starting empires.

By far the largest performance impact came from the overall galaxy size, and larger galaxies take a proportionally larger hit when a crisis spawns, probably as a result of pathfinding. A 600 star game with 22 empires and 290~ planets ran about twice as well as a 1000 star game with 19 empires and 290~ planets. That 600 star test ran slightly worse than a 1000 star game with 11 empires and 157 planets until a crisis showed up, at which point the 1000 star run took a 40% performance hit.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 18, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm still mad that there aren't spiritualist robot empires.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zikan posted:

"I have a patch for the error that causes us to shut down every seven days"

"How dare you alter the Holy Code and attempt to take away our day of rest as blessed by the Programmers Most High"

"But we are literally robots who don't need rest"

"Silence heretic!"

They smoke juiced psychic pops in robot bongs to contact the shroud.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

How can the mandate of heaven support the rule of the robot king if there is no robot heaven to issue mandates?

ConfusedUs posted:

Spiritual Materialists? We can build God.

Clearly the shroud exists so I don't see why materialist empires would have a stick up their rear end about it.

It'd be neat if only fanatic variations would lock out the opposite ethic.

ConfusedUs posted:

I can come up with an empire concept for any of them except maybe Xenophobe/phile.

A xenophobe/xenophile combination should tag species in the same portrait class as yours as "the good ones."

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 18, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It actually seems pretty hosed up that L-Gates are stuck in Distant Stars. Being able to build your own gateway and then hook it up to the rest of the L-Gates seems like the perfect way to fix the game's existing problem with becoming locked in by neighboring empires.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

I mean that's how normal gates work, you can gate to any active gate in the galaxy as long as the destination isn't closed to you.

The not being turned off thing is kind of the idea.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

isndl posted:

Inactive regular gateways still count as adjacent to active gateways for the purposes of influence costs to claim, so you can send a construction ship out to claim a gateway and get it started fairly cheaply.

If your empire is locked down by closed borders I don't see how that helps.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Can someone link me the 500 post thread on the Paradox official forums where the people who bought Stellaris for the tile management are melting down?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Taear posted:

That's cool but I do like seeing my pops.

I feel like you might be in for a surprise with the tab labeled "population."

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

If they are doing this but not removing the pop cap on planets to instead add some sort of overpopulation mechanic then I cant even. Population caps on planets is another 20+ year old mechanic that should have gone away ages ago.

My CPU disagrees.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

THE BAR posted:

If I can be an empire of crusading, art-obsessed religious lunatics I will be so happy.

Isn't that what spiritualist/militarists normally are?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zikan posted:

there needs to be space railroads or the patch is worthless imo

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gyshall posted:

Is this just pops tiles update or please say there will be a diplomacy pass along side so Stellaris will finally be the best game ever

Based wiz

Actually the game will continue to suck and be totally unplayable and garbage until my personal demands have been met.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm issuing a chargeback until both tiles and wormholes are back in the game, and no I will NOT just play the old branches.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 19, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

lol if you still colonize more than 1 or 2 planets in TYOL 2200

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Splicer posted:

If you have leviathans and a curator you can spend energy on science by buying curator scientists and research pacts.

Planetary shields and military bases and whatever frontier hospitals are called now are also real good sources of science. I'll often build labs as placeholders to swap out for them later.

Don't military bases generate unity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

When is the anime girl species pack?