Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
What's the best way to generate a CB to take planets from neighbors? Making claims looks like it's going to cost way too much influence...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
So the Great Khan is busy pushing my poo poo in and alone has a fleet triple mine. Is there a "swear fealty" option that will show up?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

both of the marauder clans border it directly despite its modest size, one of which is in the middle of loving nowhere

i have some concerns about the midgame

That's exactly the situation I was in.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Dongattack posted:

So whats the point of setting a homebase for a fleet? It's where it'll form up when you initially build it, but is there any point to updating the homebase closer to the front after that?

Yeah - that's where it goes on return and I think also on upgrade.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Gah...a scientist rolled the psionic trait roughly 2 years after I said "gently caress it" and made everybody cyborgs.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

pmchem posted:

So what's the thread consensus on the Apocalypse DLC? Worth buying right now at full price, or wait for patches/discount?

Buy it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Splicer posted:

My territory is the only route between two bunches of marauders and a third guy who is apparently really pissing someone off.

Same, although since the khan popped and I rolled over at least that group is friendly now.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Thanks! Yeah, they are cheating very hard. 539/190 command limit on their fleet. Man that really kills all fun i was having up until this point. It's okay if its a loving endgame crisis or something, but not a equivalent empire on normal difficulty.

Are those the marauders (always hostile to everyone, insane stacks from day one) or just another empire?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Space Skeleton posted:

There is a jump button at the top of the fleet window when you have a fleet selected which lets you skip hyperlanes for one jump, but puts the fleet in a cooldown state where their combat effectiveness is cut in half for a bit once they arrive. You can dramatically cut travel times by leaping across spiral arms or past nests of systems this way.

What sucks it that you don't seem to be able to set a "always use jump drives" policy for a fleet or ship. There is never a time I don't want my constructors to use jump drive.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Jabarto posted:

What are people's thoughts on the different war doctrines? Especially the no-retreat one; +33% fire rate sounds crazy but on the other hand, no retreats ever means you're going to lose a lot of ships in each fight, especially if you use a lot of corvettes and destroyers.

No retreats also means you might end up with more war exhaustion than the other guy even from a winning battle.

Also, as to fleet composition: with the fleet manager now I can finally bear to organize my fleets into the appropriate (by which I mean every ship size contributes the same to the command limit) ratios:

16 corvettes: 8 destroyers: 4 cruisers: 2 battleships: 1 titan.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm slowly learning you should probably never look at what the AI empires are doing on their planets because now I'm asking do they never, ever build the unique capital-only buildings? I've looked at the capitals of pretty much every other AI empire and not a single one has the Research Institute, Galactic Stock Exchange, etc..

Probably too busy spending their influence on claiming your systems.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

How many titans can I build, and where do I go to see that? I thought it would be one per star base capable of building a titan, but that doesn't seem to be the case (I have 4 star bases that can build titans but it only let me build 3)?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

You can only build 3 total. It should say "Our empire can only support 3 Titans" when you mouse over the build button, IIRC

Got it. This is not obvious if you build through the fleet manager.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Why does the scientist need to be in orbit? Why can't they assist from the ground? Maybe just have idle scientists automatically provide some sort of empire-wide bonus comparable to the current assist research system?

Or have an "automatic assist research" order where the ship will automatically fly to the planet with the most research output that isn't currently being assisted. Someone dies? Quick replace the leader, hit the assist research button, and off they go. Anything but the current clickfest.

I would like this. I end up just assigning my scientists to the first X planets I see because I can't be bothering figuring out where they should optimally go.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s more that you get 100 tiles for 110k minerals when you could’ve had more tiles in habitats for the same cost. The advantage to the ring world is lesser penalties and mineral production which is pretty meh

Is there an advantage now that the building to go 45 energy: 30 minerals exists?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Pylons posted:

Jumpdrives require a bit too much babysitting to use as a fast travel method.

Yeah I wish there were some settings to make this easier. Like "always jump" or "always jump inside my borders"

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

The more I play 2.0, the more it seems like the developers never use the autodesign feature. It just interacts so badly with the fleet manager.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Fully upgraded. Ruined megastructures go from zero to full in one go.

Well, not ring worlds. Those go segment by segment.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Staltran posted:

e: This should be such a simple fix that I have to assume Wiz didn't know about this. I knew I should have bothered to make twitter account instead of hoping he'd read SA. I imagine that would have been a better use of my time than making a bug report on the paradox forums.

The Paradox bug forums have been reproducing and logging a lot of things reported, so I'm not sure about that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

I thought they hotfixed the "pops being purged not producing resources" thing? I'm turning these c'thulu fuckers into batteries and I'm not getting any juice.

Make sure you have patch 2.0.1 [checksum fb8b] installed.

toasterwarrior posted:

Wait, do you actually need low unrest to turn aliens into food/batteries?

Nah. If you try and turn aliens into food/batteries, their unrest will be pegged at 100%. At least in 2.0.0, that drops their output to 0. Supposedly fixed in 2.0.1 but see above.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

So I keep not paying attention and then looking back and noticing that a bunch of neighboring systems have gone unclaimed and are now spawning pirates. Is this just the AI getting into wars and having its outposts shot to poo poo, or is there another reason this would happen?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

The Wraiths outright destroy outposts and it's funny to see an empire get carved up by one.

hobbesmaster posted:

Wraiths leave a trail of unclaimed systems in their wake.

Maybe that's it (I think the devs acknowledged this is a bug), but I haven't seen any wandering skull-ships or gotten a Wraith event notice...and even the curators don't want to talk about any Wraiths (Ether Drake, Stellarite Devourer, and Armored Dreadnought only).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Halman posted:

It took me way, way, way too long to realize you build construction and science ships at planets and not the shipyard.

It also turns out that shipyards have a "defenses" tab, which I didn't figure out until I had expanded past reasonable chokepoints.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

So far the biggest benefit of having a Colossus is that you no longer need claims - you have the equivalent of a claim on every system of your war opponents.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'd like a megastructure that lets you build a hyperlane between two points that aren't connected, within a certain range.

Isn't this functionally what a gateway pair does?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

THE BAR posted:

EE:

Okay, so with a colossus you can no longer make claims. That's fine and all, but when you can't rival them either, then you're just stuck. And they're not declaring on me, even after failing two of their missions and a ton of insults.

Can't you use the Conquest CB even without a claim if you have a colossus?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Splicer posted:

Is there any way to grab a copy of a cloud ironman save? This happened:

Note: I don't have jump drives.

I'm not sure I see the problem.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Even better - its a total war purifier like CB.

I swear all I could use was Conquest when I was playing yesterday, but I'll check back again after getting rid of the Unbidden.

Axetrain posted:

Is there a way to get rid of starbases, after a war I'm one over my limit and want to get rid of a backwater base somewhere.

You want the downgrade button - it's on the same tab where you upgrade a starbase, on the left side. After downgrading enough times it will turn into "dismantle."

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

THE BAR posted:

No CBs, no way to get 'em, either.

Yeah, I see that in the bug forum now.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-2-0-2-colossus-prevents-claims-yet-only-gives-cb-on-rivals.1074745/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah for the first time ever my materialist empire got a psionic expert scientist from a random skill boost while surveying and it let me get a couple low level psionic techs, got +10% unity out of it so that's nice. Id still love to be able to interact with the shroud in some limited way as a materialist, maybe gain some little passive boost from it.

If you get those techs, you can take the Psychic Ascension Path even as a materialist. I did it in my current playthrough.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Man, build fleet manager is really fucky on the beta. All my fleets think they are fully reinforced, but do infact miss a fair few ships that are lost in constant build ques that i cannot cancel. Hope they iron out the kinks soon.

Autoupgraded ships do not play nicely with the Fleet Manager. You will do better hand-designing if you want the Fleet Manager.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Ugh, that's too much micromanagement for me. Is there a way to delete the "fleet" status from a fleet without disbanding the ships and then make them into a new fleet? P sure i could reset the build que if that can be done.

You can take one fleet and separate out all ships of a type, etc., which will create a new fleet. Or you can just click on the fleet manager to reduce a type.

There are some definite bugs in the fleet manager to be worked out. What I have done is to take autogenerated designs and make an insignificant change before using those ships to build my fleets. Every so often, I create a new design based off the current state of autogenerated, delete the old one and upgrade. I find it easier than building fleets without the fleet manager.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Hmm, okay, i'll try to fiddle with it. I'm not using autogenerated ships tho, i use my own templates. BUT i have the "auto-upgrade" checkbox ticked, i guess that's enough to confuse it.

Yeah, the auto-upgrade is where it all goes to hell.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

SirTagz posted:

Can someone please recommend a more or less up to date resource which lists possible AI personalities and the %-s and conditions for them to spawn? I am trying to create a bunch of custom races for my game and I dont want to accidentally lock the entire galaxy into permanent peace or war just because I made the races too similar or something.

The Wiki claims to be up to date on that front, although they may have ignored the weights leading to all the Slaving Despots until the bug was fixed:
https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/AI_personalities

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

War exhaustion is based on your losses as a percentage of fleet cap. The winner / loser is irrelevant and in fact removed in the latest beta patch.

If you hit 100 WE the other side can force you into a status quo peace.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Lake Effect posted:

Which of my points isn't common sense? I'm obviously speculating anyways. Just think about this misuse of the common green and what happens if fewer people buy certain kinds of expansions at full price. There are consequences to group behavior.

Consider that people still buy hardbacks despite knowing cheaper paperbacks are coming later.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

Isn't that part also removed in the latest beta patch? You just take some pretty nasty penalties until you decide to make peace (whichever way you are able to).

That's right. Things are moving fast.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well Colossi do come with a universal Total War casus belli, so part of the Perk benefit is that your society has finally reached the point where you can drop all the space nukes on Space Japan without anyone protesting.

Only if Space Japan is your rival. If Space Japan is less than "Inferior" you can't do anything at all since you can't make claims.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Anyone have any tips for maximizing the fleet power of your Citadels? I'm looking at the last achievement I could pull off in this current game - Citadel over 40K fleet power. I'm stuck at around 36K with endgame technology levels, though, so I'm really not sure how this is going to work unless I spend a truly inordinate amount of time researching repeatable technologies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What kind of gear is it running? I think guided weapons give the most fleet power per slot, and that 8 defense platforms contribute more than one ion cannon.

Matter Disintegrators - the Unbidden weapon.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Outside of that, there's an ascendancy perk that lets you build more defense platforms, and if you're not a pacifist, adopting pacifism will change one of the Supremacy traditions to buff them.

Capped all my traditions already but will see if I can adopt pacifism.

AtomikKrab posted:

Or just keep repeating techs that upgrade weapons/armor/defense platforms/etc

At around 100 months per tech, not interested.