Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

The AI really hates letting anyone else into the federation huh

I'm baffled that all the effort went into making the federation and diplomacy/envoy mechanics and boiled it down to +/- likes for your empire.

It should really have some diplomatic missions where you can broker peace between different races or stir poo poo against them. If envoys had their own ships and had to physically travel to worlds to have summits it would open up the game to all kinds of fun like assassinating them before two of your rivals work out their differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I've never looked under the hood in a paradox game because it would lead me to cheating, so sorry if this is naive or thinking too much:

Is the market in single player a real thing or just reacting against you to hobble min maxing? Like if I tank or choke the market price on goods does the AI get affected by price? Can I hurt an isolated system and maybe antagonize them into strategic wars by buying so much alloy they cant afford ships rebuilding, or make say motes so cheap their friends all cancel trade deals? I'd love to play banker like that.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

I've noticed (at least on Grand Admiral) that the AI seems to have too many alloys if anything. They are desperate to get their hands on strategic resources, and you can usually trade 4-5:1 alloys:strategics (which is especially nice if you have space based collection of the latter) by trading directly with the AI.

Market prices reflect this; I generally see food/minerals around 0.5 energy each, alloys for 3e each, and strategics for about 24e each.

I wasnt sure if it was the game being a dick and simulating it or if it was a real galactic economy, but I've totally noticed alloys ramping up in conflict. You can notice if you trade with fallen empires early they won't accept even a fraction of initial trade deals for things other empires dont have tech to exploit so theres something there. Of all the games that have superfluous spreadsheets and graphs, the one that could do with them is lacking and you just have to feel in the dark for it. It would be cool to bottom out their best trade resource and make alloys and food so high you starve them into desperate actions, but yeah the AI might not be there, even if the numbers are.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Gort posted:

By the way, had a weird problem in an MP co-op game yesterday - one player wouldn't get federation vote notifications. He didn't see the notification to invite people in, to make peace when at war, any of them. Anyone seen that before?

I was wondering if he'd just turned off that notification somehow but I've no idea how that could've happened.

You control and right click a notification, I do it for market trading all the time. Disabled notifications show up in a list on your outline at the bottom.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

At a certain point just terraforming a planet (which, at least with my mods, clears all blockers) is much easier and very possibly not that much longer/more expensive.

Not sure how common they are, but I've gotten events from unblocking things though.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

yes and no. planetary diversity and district overhaul can give you some bum raps at the beginning of the game. i too enjoy my guaranteed settleable planet to have 10 active volcanoes

TIL from Aspec video: You can remove blockers during the colonization period.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Wait seriously? I had no loving idea

PittTheElder posted:

Resettling is so arduous interface-wise that it's not worth it generally speaking. So I just make good generalist pops when I'm gene modding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6O-ugrRrw8 I'm sure most people ITT know most of these things already, but holy gently caress is it helpful to know that you can, say tell your population to sort their poo poo out themselves and move to worlds where the work or housing is. I would never know or find this stuff on my own, especially when it literally involves reading through multi-tier galactic community resolution fine print then getting it passed, I avoid Galactic Community stuff like death but some of it might be good?

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I am never, ever joining a war again. Went in, kicked rear end, did all the heavy lifting as per usual but someone else declared a seperate war against the same enemy, occupied 2 or 3 starbases and now the war will never end because even though they have no worlds or allies or fleets at all, its sitting at 87% occupation and will forever because the AI can't settle the status quo.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Affi posted:

It actually still did this in my game. Khan spawned next to me and just went back and forth between systems. I surrendered out or courtesy.

Gort posted:

I think the Khan AI got replaced recently so might not be using the Glavius AI.

Stellaris: The Math of Khan

wit
Jul 26, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I'll put shipyards in all 6 slots of a station that's on a gateway with a fleet academy. It's better to specialize stations

This is the dream, though I like to use the L gate egress system as a buffer. Last thing you want is your primary yard immediately taken by an enemy (though I'm giving undue credit to the AI's priorities). One big downside is reinforcement can take a long long time if you're not at deathball fleet level. But poorly placed shipyards are one of the first things I dismantle when I take an empire.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
They're people who made a video game that you bought, not your internet girlfriend, lol.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

And remember that you can get rid of blockers while colonizing!

This needs to be on every page because its a super hidden but extremely useful tip without being a game changer. Makes colonizing less like waiting on an egg boiling.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

I bought a bundle of this awhile back but never quite got around to playing it. Thinking of giving it a try now and I see a bunch of stuff on sale at Humble.

If this is what I have, is there any particularly great additional DLCs to pick up? It looks like maybe Federations and Paragons?

Stellaris: Anniversary Portraits
Stellaris: Horizon Signal
Stellaris: Distant Stars Story Pack
Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
Stellaris: Utopia
Stellaris: Plantoids Species Pack
Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Stellaris: Apocalypse
Stellaris: MegaCorp
Stellaris: Ancient Relics Story Pack

Play it with what you have first and when it gets a bit stale, THEN get the DLC. Itll give you more play time than just starting off with everything at once. If you haven't had it, you won't miss it.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Despacho posted:

So, I started playing this again and I have a question. Is automation of planets good or at least good enough?

Its sort of like having a robot vaccuum cleaner. If you're setting it to run while you're at work and not sitting looking at it, its servicable. But if you're actively doing something and so is it, you will lose the head with it very quickly and just do it yourself.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Randallteal posted:

That option might actually work out for me if I was on top of only turning it on when I need it since I usually dip into Paradox games intensely for a few weeks and then put them down for multiple years before coming back.

It might be like getting out of a gym membership and you have to travel to the l-cluster in person to cancel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

FurtherReading posted:

I'm getting back into this game after a bit of a hiatus. I last played back when Nemesis dropped. I picked up the overlord today in the sale, mainly because galactic custodian + hegemony federation leader with mass vassals was one of the silly gimmicks I liked to do and I heard it makes vassals better?

Given how much the free updates that come with DLCs change the game up, I'm wondering if there's much I need to relearn over the last few releases? A few things I remember from when I last played (playing solo with scaling hardest difficulty):

* Corvette spam into cruiser spam then Battleship spam was a solid approach for a fleet deathball. Bullets, Bombers and torpedos tended to be the better weapons.
* The new pop growth curve was ruffling feathers. Did this change or did people get used to it?
* Outside of the midgame crisis the midgame was still pretty slow.
* Internal politics still didn't really exist.
* Espionage was new but pretty poo poo.

Are there any newer DLCs worth getting? I heard there's one that adds cloaking which ends up being so annoying to deal with that you're better off not touching it.

Of all of them, I really like paragons. The AI is still trash and wont best sit your little mary sue guys in the positions you want, done a few runs and it feels almost spiteful at this point. But its cool, you get to have your little RPG mans in your empire and it actually cares about who they are.