Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Broadly speaking, while the AI may get some resource bonuses from difficulty level, their economy works the same way as yours does. Run a deficit, bad poo poo happens, like rebellions. Have to put the entire population on worker and CG/amenity jobs to avoid running into problems for the population existing, probably don't have too many pops to spare in order to generate things like alloys or science for the overlord.

Takeaway is that you're probably taxing them more heavily than their economy can afford, and it's making them stagnate or even collapse. Either crank up the difficulty (which lets AI cheat in more resources for the same effort, which in turn lets you tax them more heavily without issue), have a more chill tax rate, or make your taxable vassals into prospectoria so the specialization (largely but not entirely) compensates for the taxes.

In particular, go easy on the basic resource taxes. Cranking that up too much and/or too fast is what usually causes the vassal's economy to tailspin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cimber posted:

Except I wasn't taxing them at all, because I was trying to build up their loyalty. I was going to tax the poo poo outta them later when they liked me. I didn't want to have them rebel against me, but I didn't figure I'd have to deal with them rebelling against themselves.

Interesting. Usually it's the taxes that do in their economy. Still, there are always other factors, it's not like the AI always has a strong economy to begin with.

Perhaps they recently lost a particularly juicy planet in a war, or because they figured a horrific inverse mass was a totally safe thing to keep around.
Perhaps there's a nearby criminal megacorp which is benevolently gracing them with its "helpful" branch offices.
Perhaps they're just doing random dumb AI poo poo without thoughts to the consequences.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

two fish posted:

I haven't once tried the Toxic God origin, but I'm tempted to. What's it like and how do you build for it?

It's a "start lovely, bloom later" origin rather than a "start strong so you can snowball" origin. You've got a "situation" for their quest which ends up lasting around a hundred years. If you replay the origin you'll probably actively look into ways to hurry that up: while it's running, the situation's eating up a small but noticeable percentage of your (internal and direct) energy and alloy generation.

You get quite a few interesting events with lots of flavorful writing along the way, each of which will give you a choice between some mutually-exclusive rewards. You may want to spoil yourself on what some of the options are, because the branching point can be in an earlier step of the same event. And if so then find a recent spoiler because the latest patch just changed some of these, particularly the one with alloys. (But generally speaking going with "knights generate more science" is a safe bet, although the "make your starting planet less lovely" ones are much better now than they used to be.)

Spoilers and details can both be found here: https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Quest_for_the_Toxic_God_events

Trade builds are less punishing under the situation, so things like anglers or megacorp are relatively better than usual. (However, they're still trade builds, which have their own issues.) (e: Apparently this changed in the recent patch, and now energy-from-trade is still penalized.)

Conquest and overlording synergizes well if you can pull it off, but also that much harder to pull off. Comedy short-term option is to offer yourself up to an AI as a vassal and drain your overlord of resources (consider bulwark for this), then gain independence later when you're better-situated.

Vil fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 22, 2024