Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Baronjutter posted:

Thanks!

Now that I have the war going, I'm not sure how to win it though. I absolutely over-power them and have just been carpet sieging their planets but it looks like I need +200 warscore to win a tributary wargoal. Am I missing something?

Is it because they have an ally in the war I'd need to occupy every single one of both of their planets?

Crush their navy harder and occupy more planets and they'll be willing to accept your domination. You won't need to occupy everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Shadowlyger posted:

EDIT: Also, thoroughly amused to note that the whole "chokepoints in spaaaaaaace" thing hasn't worked out at all, because no matter how much you build up a starbase it's going to get trucked as soon as any enemy fleet so much as glances at it.

This is hilariously untrue but it's a Shadowlyger post so that was already a given.

Like yeah if you go into midgame with level 2 starbases and no upgrades or defense platforms they're not gonna stand up to a fleet, but they can get thick as hell in their own right and also stand up long enough for reinforcements to arrive.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Kestral posted:

My favorite part of that thread was the realization that one of the optimal defensive strategies is to build anchorages for more fleet cap, max out cap on cheap frigates, and when you’re attacked immediately dismantle your anchorages so you’re wildly over fleet cap. Then, as soon as you lose a battle of any size it registers as a catastrophic loss and your war exhaustion goes through the roof, allowing you to force a white peace even though the enemy has taken nothing.

It's insane, and makes the use of Desty's ReducedWarExhaustion mandatory IMO.

This shouldn't actually work?

A side in a war being at 100% exhaustion gives their opponent the ability to force a status quo peace.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm playing a generic Gestalt Consciousness machine empire. Midway through the game I picked up some Domination traditions, but the game still won't allow me to demand vassalization and the diplomacy screen shows "Domination Traditions" as the only unmet need.

Am I missing something here, or is the game just goofing off on me?

EDIT: while we're at it I've had some organic pops from an earlier conquest flagged as displaced undesirables for something like a century. I guess that -50% migration speed works on this one, too.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I think it's a bug where the robot-flavor domination traditions don't count as the actual regularly-named domination tradition.

That's a pretty big bug right there.

EDIT: and I decided to be a dummy and play on Ironman for pointless achievements, so I can't even use the console to give myself the tradition manually.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 1, 2018

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Weird thing regarding claims: other empires will dislike you for controlling systems they've laid claim to, even though claims are an offensive action and these are probably systems you've owned from the beginning. There also doesn't seem to be a mechanism to remove claims, even if you've crushed the holder in a war of subjugation, and they can even continue to make claims against you after they've bent the knee to your dominion. This creates situations where a disloyal vassal will steadily make claims to your systems, thus making themselves dislike you even more and preventing any kind of stabilization to your relationship.

It also means that enemy claims are essentially a permanent relationship debuff.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Do claims ever expire? My vassal hates my guts because they have some silly notions about an indivisible part of my empire being their home planet or something. Is there any way to make them retract a claim?

I'm in the same boat and it looks like nope, claims are functionally a permanent relationship debuff. poo poo, my uppity vassals are even claiming my home planet at this point.

They're just gonna keep on claiming poo poo and working themseves into a progressively bigger huff about it, too.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I actually really like the changes to warfare overall. War exhaustion combined with fleet actions not being matters of complete annihilation mean even an overwhelmingly one-sided conflict is still essentially a race for the conqueror to exert their will before their society gets fed up. Even if their fleet stands no chance at all against your grand armada, defeating them won't destroy them and you probably don't have time to keep a single giant doomstack together when you need to be flipping a sprawling empire for the occupation score, so there's still a chance for an outmatched opponent to take relevant actions during a war and even deliver minor reversals by ambushing smaller raiding fleets. Defended planets being significant obstacles gives them even better chances to simply outlast their opponents. All-in-all, it makes warefare a lot more engaging than just obliterating their small doomstack with your large doomstack and then spending 20 years occupying planets with no opposition.

If you've got a hard time wrapping your head around the idea of war exhaustion even though you've crushed their military and occupied their territory, just think back to the staggering popularity of the second Gulf War.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

President Ark posted:

you need to be one of the -1000 diplomacy empire types - fanatic purifiers, determined exterminators, or devouring swarm

I still think one of my favorite things to come out of the patch is that you can know make a warmongering swarm of post-apocalyptic cockroaches who terraform their new colonies from orbit.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I conquered a planet with a couple of organics on it as a Machine Empire and I've decided I'd rather have real robots on it than lovely batteries, but the little jerks refuse to migrate away. I think I've had them set to 'Undesirables' for something like 150 years and they're still just chilling out, miserably working a few tiles on a planet that is now predominantly populated by robots. I even terraformed the planet into a machine world hoping I could 'accidentally' genocide them without pissing off the rest of the galaxy, but they're still sticking around at 0% habitability - they're just slightly more miserable about life than they were before.

Is there anything I can do do get these guys to gently caress off short of sending out the killbots? Should I just make them a habitat in some poo poo-rear end system and then release it as a vassal?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Ring seems p good by that analysis - it's basically a mega-habitat with a similar cost-per-tile, only it comes with tile resources and gets to build normal structures so it's good for more than just a science factory.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Man, the impact of claims on diplomacy continues to be a huge mess. It looks like you're also politically accountable for claims regarding your vassals, so subjugating someone who's been on your neighbor's poo poo list might also tank your relationship with them because they think they own a big piece of that territory - guess I should have invited their useless asses into that war or something. Compounded with the fact that claim overlapping makes people hate you forever and there is no way at all to remove claims, peacefully or otherwise and it gets ugly real fast.

Quick and dirty suggestions:

1.) Vassalized nations have no political autonomy, so they should lose all outstanding claims upon subjugation and be unable to make new claims until they win their independence. Being accountable for claims held against them makes a degree of sense, since they are effectively an extension of your dominion, but the AI should at least be more cognizant of the fact that loving with their pissant neighbor is actually loving with the giant warmongering empire that owns them and hey maybe there's a reason they don't have any fleets all of a sudden. Maybe some kind of diminished relationship hits for what are effectively second-degree border squabbles so you don't accidentally tank a relationship forever by conquering someone.

2.) Tributaries (and, to a lesser extent, Feudal Vassals) are independent nations, so they should be able to function normally with regard to nations that aren't you or your vassals. You also shouldn't be held politically accountable for their interactions with third parties, since my understanding is that declaring war on them is not declaring war on you.

3.) Under no goddamn circumstances should my subjects be able to make claims against me after I've conquered them and then get mad about it forever.

PS Please god give us a way to pay off claims or otherwise settle them diplomatically.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
+10% Research Speed ascension perk is probably the best example of something that is mechanically very strong but also a bad and boring perk.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Chiming in late here to say that the Dyson sphere seems like the biggest boondoggle out of all the endgame megastructures. Everything else at least serves a purpose, but by the time I can build a Dyson Sphere I can already field a 1,000 fleet cap navy and not really give a poo poo about the energy costs.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mountaineer posted:

Maybe I'm just worse at the game, but I find myself building Dyson Spheres long before reaching the fleet cap. All that extra energy is great for powering more resource replicators.

If you still working on non-victory lap projects, there are probably more direct ways to make use of 260,000 Minerals.

VV The Matter Replicators seem like a decent potential sink, but without them I'm making more credits than I can spend, while also lavishing my subjects, friends, and random passers-by with more credits than they can spend. Edicts and Traders have a tiny, tiny throughput compared to what a late game economy with a Dyson Sphere on top of it pumps out VV

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 8, 2018

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

So you're telling me that if I have minerals available, energy income to compensate, a pop working a basic Science lab, and the planet is not full yet, I shouldnt upgrade the tile that is getting worked?

:frogout: with this nonsense. Dont give lovely advice.

No, that wasn't what he was saying. He's saying that upgrading buildings tends to be fairly cost-inefficient (it is), so if you are still at the stages in the game where upgrading buildings represents a significant expenditure of resources and you don't have enough to do everything you want, that may not be the immediate priority.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Shadowlyger posted:

The AI is cheating, it pays 50% less on all maintenance costs.

Feel absolutely no shame in cheating back.

I just want to draw further attention to the fact that Shadowlyger, after disappearing for a week upon being called out directly by Wiz for making up bullshit to complain about, has returned to announce that he needs to cheat to beat the AI that can barely manage not to collapse its own economy.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Tributaries kinda own with the latest changes to Domination. They give you money and fleet cap and don't gently caress around in your wars like crappy allies.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It depends on what you're trying to get out of them. If you expect your subjects to be too weak to contribute in wars or you actively want to avoid their participation because they'll end up competing with you for the spoils, Tributaries are perfect - they let you support a larger navy regardless of their own strategic capabilities and otherwise leave you alone.

Vassals are for when you want real allies who will make tangible contributions to your wars, but without going through all the bother of making people like you or attending to their interests - if you want them to function like real empires, it seems like it might be worth it to allow them to expand. Helping you have better relationships is neat, I guess, but it doesn't seem to matter much how your subjects feel about the situation as long as you're sufficiently powerful.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I do want to say that developing new worlds as an established Machine Empire is the loving worst.

You can be lazy-ish and just do the planet Au-natural or the next 30 years or so - this is inefficient and will keep you clicking for the foreseeable future, but at least paces the micromanagement out over enough of a timeframe that it's never too onerous unless you have something else big like a war going on or you're developing several locations at once (gently caress Habitat spamming).

The better solution is to mass-migrate a pop or two from all your other worlds to jumpstart the new planet, since Robots don't give the slightest gently caress about being resettled, but doing this requires you going back and manually rebuilding all of those pops, which is of course cannot be done from the resettlement screen, and doing all of this at once is :smithicide:

Please god give us a way to autobuild robot pops in core systems.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm also fairly certain that if you have literally 100% occupied an opponent the game auto-surrenders them, because I've had it happen once.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
This patch has me in a weird place - I'm fairly excited about Stellaris, but I never want to look at a tile again so I can't touch it until the update hits.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'll be honest and say I'm a little worried about what happens to empires that contain pops from more than two species, since this gives you an exponential curve for the number of potential hybrid types. It seems like if you tried even a little bit to diversify you could end up with actually dozens of hybrids, all with random hodgepodges of traits, and that does not sound like something I want to try to manage even slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mayor Dave posted:

They need more district space or unique buildings or something, I've tried spamming them like before and they are baaaad in comparison to other things you could do with the resources it takes to build them

I think they were always pretty inefficient - it's just that before you often had literally nothing to spend your minerals on after you'd finished midgame.