Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Wiz Did Nothing Wrong

Warp and Wormhole got what was coming to them

:commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

I was actually surprised that the different Marauder clans on the map are all different species. The pre-release info we got about them gave me the impression that they were competing factions of the same race.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Traxis posted:

The changes look good, but it's a shame I can't play until the UI mod gets updated because Paradox still thinks everyone games at 1024x768.

The 1080p UI mod seems to have just been updated.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

I think the Fallen Empire generation should probably be tweaked a bit so their borders follow the hyperlanes. They often spawn with some weird borders like this:

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

tithin posted:

I've been watching some youtube / streams because i've not started playing yet, and is it just me, or do ships move a fuckload faster than they used to?

Yes, they do. Ships now have to travel all the way across the system to the arrow leading to the next hyperlane in order to travel to that system, so in-system speed has been increased to compensate.

This means that traveling inside a system is faster, but traveling across the galaxy is slower.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

JerikTelorian posted:

People on the subreddit were suggesting that you set the hyperlane density to 0.75 to encourage more chokepoints.

The gap between the 1x setting and the 0.75x setting is way too large.

With 1x, systems are generally well connected with a moderate amount of choke-points, but 0.75x turns the map into an endless maze of long, snaking corridors.

The best way to get a larger amount of choke-points as it stands now is to use 1x hyperlane density, but on a 4-arm spiral galaxy

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 23, 2018

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Here are a bunch of galaxy generation settings that I think should be in the game, but currently are not:

Space Monsters (slider) [0x - 5x]
- Adjust the frequency of Tiyanki, Space Amoebas, Crystalline Entities, Ancient Mining Drones, Void Clouds
- If turned down to zero, also disables the Crystal, Mining Drone, and Pirate "home systems"

Guardians (slider) [0 - 10]
- Adjust the number of Guardian systems that spawn on the map.
- "Guardians" includes the Ether Drake, Stellarite Devourer, Automated Dreadnought, Dimensional Horror, Spectral Wraith, Infinity Machine, Enigmatic Fortress, Hive Asteroid, Guardians of Zanaam, Sanctuary Ringworld

Enclaves (toggle) [off / on]
- Enable or disable the spawning of Trader, Curator, and Artisan Enclaves.

Rare Resources (slider) [0x - 5x]
- Adjust the spawn frequency of rare resources on the galaxy map.

Homeworld Neighbor Systems (toggle) [off / on]
- Every standard empire is guaranteed to have two systems near their homeworld that have planets of their ideal habitability class. This toggle would turn that off.

Pre-sentients (slider) [0x - 5x]
- Adjust the frequency of the anomaly that causes pre-sentients to spawn on a planet.

Abandoned Megastructures (slider) [0x - 5x]
- Adjust the number of abandoned Megastructures that spawn on the map.

Hive Minds (toggle) [off / on]
- Enable or Disable randomly-generated hive mind empires from spawning. If a player owns Utopia, but doesn't want any Hive Mind empires to spawn in that particular game.

Machine Empires (toggle) [off / on]
- Enable or disable randomly-generated machine empires from spawning. Same as above, but for Synthetic Dawn.

Horde Crisis (toggle) [off / on]
- Enable or disable the "Great Khan" Horde crisis from happening.

War in Heaven (toggle) [off / on / multiple]
- Enable or disable the "War in Heaven" crisis from happening. "Multiple" allows both to happen, if all 4 of the non-machine Fallen Empires exist on the map.

End Game Crisis (toggle) [off / on / multiple]
- Enable or disable the Prethoryn Scourge, Unbidden, and Contingency end-game crisis from happening. "Multiple" allows all three to all happen in the same game.

And also some adjustments to some of the settings that already exist:

Tech/Tradition Cost
- Split these into two separate sliders so they can be adjusted individually.

Fallen Empires
- Fix this so that it actually spawns the number I tell it to. Several times I've set it all the way to 5 and it only spawns 3 or 4.

Primitive Civilizations
- Turning this down to zero should also prevent the Sanctuary Ringworld from spawning.

Anything that I missed?

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 25, 2018

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

What alien species will you encounter in game, does it generate them, or pick from the pool of premade species?

It does both of those things, actually.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Roadie posted:

I wish they'd revisit how Gestalt Consciousness/Hive Mind/Machine Intelligence works. I want the option of playing friendly xenophile hive minds that invite other species to live with them for companionship's sake (think like Rogue Servitor but less patronizing) as well as non-collective-consciousness robots who get into robo-slapfights about what to do with the rest of the universe.

Reposting this from the last thread:

VirtualStranger posted:

There should be organic Hive Mind versions of the Driven Assimilators and Rogue Servitors.

The equivalent for the Servitors would essentially be a "nice" hive mind that is content to let any non-hive-minded pops stay and be taken care of by its drones as long as they don't start asking for any silly things like "rights" or "political representation". They would function like bio-trophies currently do; sit on their reservations and generate Unity.

My personal idea for the Assimilators is basically a form of sapient infectious disease that seeks to "infect" new hosts and turn them into its mindless drones. Whenever it conquers a new world, the inhabitants are exposed to the disease and their minds and bodies are eventually taken over by the hive mind.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

One thing about Hive Minds and Machine Empires is that separating their species traits and their civics doesn't really make a lot of sense. Collective consciousnesses don't really have a "government" or "society", the specific way in which they function and organize themselves is determined entirely by their biology (for hives) or their design (for robots)

For them, their species traits and their civics should really be the exact same thing.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

lol the UNE humans that spawn when you play as the CoM use the wrong name list.

Paradox forgot to change HUM3 to HUMAN1 in line 4106 of special_system_initializers.txt. HUM3 is an alien humanoid name list now.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

What exactly is the difference between "Armour/Shield Damage" and "Armour/Shield Penetration"?

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Aethernet posted:

I think gates were meant to be more common or the tech that lets you build them come sooner - certainly, I've never seen it. Is it locked behind mega-engineering?

The "Gateway Construction" tech has two pre-requisites: Mega-Engineering and "Gateway Activation"

Mega-Engineering only shows up in the late game.

"Gateway Activation" is the tech that allows you to repair the abandoned gates found on the map. This tech will only appear once your science ships have discovered one of them. This means that if you have not discovered any of the abandoned gateways yourself, then you cannot build your own.

(This also means that turning the Abandoned Gateways slider down to 0x effectively removes all gateways from the game entirely)

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 26, 2018

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Anyone else a bit disappointed with the Gaian creation perk? It takes so long (same as before, was always too long) and doesn't improve things THAT much compared to teraforming to the correct habitability or gene modding. I feel like taking the ascension perk and becoming master terraformers it should take the same time as the other options.

Locking Gaia terraforming behind an Ascension Perk was a very good move IMO, because back in 1.9, once the AI empires got into the very late stages of the game they would terraform literally every planet in the galaxy into Gaia Worlds.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

I'm not really sure I understand why the Fanatic Purifier civic can't be added or removed after the game starts.

Coudn't they just... stop wanting to kill everyone? Unless that particular species has a compulsive biological drive to murder every other species in the galaxy, in which case it should be a species trait, not a government civic.

Edit: The same question also applies to Barbaric Despoilers as well.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

The way that pop migration works should be changed, imo.

As it currently stands, migration is something that multiple empires have to allow through a migration treaty, when really, migration should be something that just happens by default, and any government that doesn't want it to happen has to actively have to try to stop it.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Holy gently caress yes. Stellaris with a Victoria-esque POP system sounds incredible.

The two biggest fundamental design flaws in this game were asymmetric FTL and the planet tile mechanic, and both of them will have been completely reworked.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Good loving lord, the whining about this on the subreddit is insufferable.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Cliffhanger posted:

"The tiles are annoying in their way but they also give a sense of place and geography to the planets. The unique resource distribution and shape makes the planets memorable and a PLACE."
" I like the tile system, makes every planet feel a little more real."

These are so incredibly wrong it's hilarious. The tile system makes every planet feel like a bland, empty container that you "fill up" with pops and then forget about.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

"Chancellor, our engineering department has finished research and development on a new line of autonomous robots! These new machines are projected to increase our nation's industrial output by 20% compared to sapient organic workers!"
"Excellent work. Tell them they may start mass production immediately, and begin fully automating our mining infrastructure."
"Uhh, Chancellor, I'm afraid we cant do that. Our planets are out of empty tiles. We'll have to slaughter or forcibly displace all of the organic workers that are occupying those industrial buildings first."

The tile system is loving dumb.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

DamnDirtyCat posted:

Coming back to Stellaris from about a year ago, it looks like a lot has changed. Is it still worth playing? I see a lot of negative reviews popping up, apparently about 2.0 being garbage.

There were a few salty people who were mad after 2.0 came out because Paradox streamlined the FTL mechanics to hyperlanes-only, but that mostly died down after a week or two.

Most of the recent bad reviews are from Chinese gamers review-bombing the game's steam page because a recent patch removed the (incomplete and unused) Chinese language localization files.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Personally, I think a good strategy is to split up your forces into "main fleets" full of bigger ships that you use to assault the enemy directly, and separate "scout fleets" full of corvettes that can get around the map very quickly.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

I'm not sure I really like the new hyperlane generation system. This is with the slider turned all the way up. There are too many long, snaking gaps and systems that are right next to each other that aren't connected.

Edit: loving hell, did imgur make their image compression even worse lately? That poo poo looks more .jpg artifacted than a boomer facebook meme.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Here's an an M-class star that's larger than a G-class star for some reason.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

If you turn the slider all the way to the maximum setting, then these giant, impassible walls shouldn't exist.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

illectro posted:

That's a red giant.

G & M are just colours, a G type star can become an M Type red giant as it evolves.

The info window specifically said "red dwarf".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Since Paradox asked for suggestions on potential advisor voices on twitter, I really think that it would be much better if all of the voices were based on the AI Personalities, instead of Ethics.

There should be one advisor voice for each AI personality in the game. The current ones should be renamed to the personality they most resemble, and then add more voices to fill in the rest. The current materialist voice is basically the "Erudite Explorer", the spiritualist one is "Spiritual Seeker", and the diplomat voice is "Federation Builder".

So for example you could rename the spiritualist voice to "Spiritual Seeker" and then add a new voice for "Evangelizing Zealot".