Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SettingSun posted:

Oh, I see a little nerf to Ecus in there: the districts take rare resources to build and maintain.
Also Dyson Spheres got super buffed. It's now 1000/2000/3000/4000.

That's great news. Dyson spheres were really not worth it. Dedicating 10k alloy really sets you back in the army development period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm having trouble. I find that I keep on getting to points where I have a shitload of unemployed pops that I have to manually resettle. I figure there's a better way to use immigration pull system but I am just not understanding it. I keep on getting in these extermination wars because space racism/domination is just funner to me, and they make me lose sight of my planets for just one second and a shitload of red briefcases are back.

I know there's the auto-resettle mod but it disables achievements and I'm one of those types.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That sucks. I guess I'll keep playing wack-a-mole.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Digital Osmosis posted:

I'd be vaguely interested in a casual survey of who does or doesn't do that ^^^^

I don't think I've used the base or random empires for years now. I have too much fun creating custom empires, even ones I'll probably never play, and I really enjoy being like "ah, the wombats, I can work with them because I'm playing a democracy" or "oh gently caress, the peacocks, these guys are going to be complete assholes."

they're always a devouring swarm named "Oh poo poo! Peacocks!!"

I also have an always spawning devouring swarm. They're obnoxious, adorable, and I love them so much I never help my allies when they're getting devoured.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The combat effectiveness of any given devouring swarm is directly proportional to its absurdity.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cynic Jester posted:

Some people have a list of 100s of artisinally crafted Empires and don't want the randomly generated Empires to ever spawn, but rather have the game pick whatever number of Empires it needs from said list.

Force spawn all of them and the game picks from the force spawned empires only.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't know what I did but I had about 4x the score of every other empire in the midgame when I'm normally never that high until the very very end after I cracked the fallen empires. The Prethoryn Scourge popped in right on my borders and I was able to contain them while only losing like 5 stars and 1 colony. Then I made a super fleet and blasted the poo poo out of them and it felt very... underwhelming.

My population got Out Of Control at the end, but it just meant I had a fuckload of resources coming in, so I was capped out on most of them for the last 150 years or so. I was putting up tons of habitats near the end to stuff all these useless pops into something other than luxurious unemployment and I think I won't gently caress with robots in the future. My species even had the -20% pop growth trait!

The auto-management didn't do gently caress all for any of my planets. Never built a thing, had unhoused, unemployed people, and building/district slots. I think I must have missed a setting other than "turn automation on"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think I want... less planets. It's a lot of briefcase whack a mole, and I think I'd like it everything was just... less. If I play with less planets would I be hosed by the crises?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's the problem I always get an absolute shitload of pops and I don't really run low on resources in a meaningful way but I have to keep on resettling my dudes around or building habitats/jars to keep the extra pops so that I don't have a bunch of useless unemployed nerds eating all the TVs or whatever.

Maybe I just need to lean on auto-management more.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

PittTheElder posted:

My dude, Declare Population Controls.

But then they'll be unhappy :(

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Devouring Swarm is fantastic. Does playing Hive Mind without Devouring Swarm still require me to deal with making claims and all that?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't know why my swarm of space insects needs to use energy dollars to pay their maintenance drones but okay. Devouring Swarms are really hard to manage energy credits since you can't trade and the galactic stock market has such a huge markup.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's a bug as old as time. Just keep a small fleet bombarding them forever, if I recall correctly it really fucks up their war exhaustion.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Great Khan event is the worst and I hate it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vengarr posted:

I got the popup saying "Oh poo poo there are burrowers heading towards our cities", but I didn't get the option to do either of the Special Projects (make contact or nuke them to death). Then the burrowers never showed up. False alarm, boys :iiam:

I got some religious refugees in 2.3 but nothing ever again. I mean, I ate them, but they weren't persecuted for their religion.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

turn off the TV posted:

idk this sounds like it'd be pretty good

Yeah I'd be really happy to see that going forward because it was really hard not playing with his AI mod.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You need this mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1617534169

Auto pop migration is such a huge QoL improvement that I don't think I'd play without it.

I'm an idiot who cares about achievements but yeah this mod is loving killer. The game with only a few choice mods but especially this is so much better than Vanilla.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You get way, way more tech speed out of building a tech world than the tech speed you lose by annexing multiple sectors.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Getting a colossus is important because it enables the war doctrine of just exterminating motherfuckers which completely eschews the claims system and removes a lot of the barriers to just murdering people who get in your way.

If you got a colossus you could probably just destroy that planet.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gobbeldygook posted:

I killed the first wave of the scourge before the second arrived, so the event was just...over. I got a message for victory over the scourge and shortly afterwards a message announcing the second wave would arrive soon but they never did.

My number one feature request is to be able to ban the governor from making certain buildings or districts. My empire is overpopulated and I don't need any more loving population growth buildings.

If you have a systemic empire overpopulation issue, you should just build some habitats and shove 40 pops into them and make them research poo poo. That or you create a pop toilet of just a shitload of commercial zones and housing. My go-to thing is to just stack research habitats in my home system and change tech worlds into resource producers. Food and consumer goods are easy as hell to produce.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cynic Jester posted:

My favorite bug.

I love those things. Or when there's a planet in the skybox behind the galaxy and it's clearly the size of like 100 galaxies but it's just one big planet.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Neurosis posted:

If farm labour were that scarce wages would rise and over time more food would be produced. In a conventional liberal economy anyway. Maybe a bit much to expect that level of modelling however ^^

In a conventional liberal economy, labor is denied access to "higher" echelons of economic participation and wages remain stagnant. More often than not, wages are reduced because halted social mobility creates an oversupply of labor, allowing farm owners and employers to reduce wages and expand operations to increase operating margins, deeply incentivizing expanding operations. This creates an abundance of food.

Stellaris doesn't simulate class differences well, though I'd imagine people when given the option of working as a researcher or a miner would pretty much always pick researcher. Also for nobility I think it's something like a 2x multiplier for consumer goods which seems absurdly conservative. What, Jeff Bezos is so rich he has TWO televisions?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This isn't how it works in reality, let alone stellaris.

It works during the first 10 minutes of an intro economics class!

I do think it's interesting how wages aren't a thing in Stellaris. I suppose we'd extrapolate and assume 'consumer goods' are a representation of them having a certain amount of purchasing power I guess.

Nessus posted:

Pops aren't uniform numbers of individual Blorgs. The nobility are almost certainly a mere handful of Blorgs living fat off of your proletarians.

Well that's the strange thing they kind of are, unless there's a significant purge when they move up in strata. If there's only 1/1 ruler job and only 1/1 farmer job, and the ruler gets forced offworld, all the farmers become rulers and nobody farms anymore.

I think I'm making a grave mistake, trying to discern the extrapolations taken in this simulation of space empires where sometimes the skybox glitches out and a planet is the size of multiple solar systems.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dire Lemming posted:

For wages to rise in a food shortage people would have to be working the land they own rather than someone else's land, otherwise only profits would rise. You'd also have to assume that the price of food wasn't already manipulated to be as high as possible by controlling supply which is a bad assumption. Stellaris has nothing in common with a traditional liberal economy and is infinitely better for it.

Yup. Stellaris is only planned economies, actually. To think that any economy functions as simply as that dude thinks is very lol. Plus Stellaris has a button you can push that instantly pulls all the farmers off the government-owned farms and send them into the government-owned mines. In the real world, during a resource shortage, the owners of means of production rarely expand operations to increase production since they make more money by exploiting a shortage than fulfilling a market need. Sometimes they'll even prevent other people from trying to produce a scarce resource. It usually takes government action to compel capitalism to actually service the needs of an economy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm considering doing a single colony game. No other rules, just One Planet Only. Is there a way to make my home planet as big as possible to bridge the gap between starting and building space habitats?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I finished a game where I never colonized another planet, and the game gave me 4 civilizations that I turned into space age things that I ultimately integrated because their little pocket empire made my map look dumb. I didn't give myself any starting planets nearby or anything, picked life-seeded. Then I started a subjugation war but settling status quo just gave me the occupied planets which sucked.

Plus I got two separate robot exterminator thing factions which meant I got a constant stream of refugees the whole game.

Everything was going just fine anyways, not too much busywork, then there was a robot revolution where they destroyed ALL my buildings in the worlds they took over so once I took the worlds back I had to rebuild like 12 worlds which is tedious as poo poo when the bulk of the population was robots that were being exterminated, so it's hard to parse our job/housing numbers when there's 90 pops but only 12 are citizens, the rest are being genocided.

Basically the game really doesn't like the idea of building tall.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ice Fist posted:

A robot revolution sounds like your fault unless you're purposely doing the event for RP reasons.

Well in past games I've ignored robot revolution warning signs, and frankly I was as welcoming to robots as I've been to any other species in my empire, I figured if they achieved sentience they might take a planet or something but nope they decided to declare total war. They also beelined to my empire capital and were in complete control of it during which time they killed every single organic on the planet. Or maybe the organics ran away or something I don't know.

In any event, I felt great blowing their poo poo up. Very cathartic, re-taking your empire capital.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm cool with it. I mean, pop growth is always undisputed the determinant of success in any empire and having to balance pop growth is fine. It doesn't aid in building tall at all, since now you need to use a precious building slot for busywork admin cap poo poo, but whatever. If there was a bonus to things for admin cap being above utilization I'd feel real nice.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The real pop problem is that there's no way to reduce it, even with constant unending war. The only time you lose pops, really, is with a shitload of orbital bombardment but frankly the AI is more keen on invading planets than burning them down which is a bummer.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shadowlyger posted:

No grekulf, that is in fact the opposite of cool, because it implies you're thinking of adding spy mechanics and those are always, without exception, completely loving awful.

This is a true statement, with zero exception. Just like how snipers in multiplayer FPSes are always unfun, dumb and lovely additions.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Serephina posted:

What a strange conversation.

Yes, jump drives are unambiguously the best, that's their point. Jump to avoid dump hyperlanes. Jump onto smaller enemy fleets. Jump onto bigger fleets when reinforcing a fight. Jump when moving in a straight line since its still faster despite the penalty. It's not really a debate or even a topic.

They get a serious debuff so jumping into a battle you’re not gonna 100% stomp means you’ll lose a good chunk of ships.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mid-game I always fall into a lull, is that when I'm supposed to be starting wars and poo poo or should I keep on building up even though I'm scraping 80 pops+ on most/all planets. It's when I feel like starting over because I'm bored at that point before the end-game/crisis starts.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, you might want to rethink who your friend is, because they're 100% attempting to kill everyone including you.

Not my friend, we have a trade deal! And we share research!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like to clear a planet via orbital bombardment first so having a good army isn’t that important. Yeah it’s slower but motherfucker it’s my galaxy and you’re not welcome.

La crise, c’est moi

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CapnAndy posted:

I started a Broken Shackles game, because it sounded super loving interesting. Pictured: my starting world, and the homeworld of another spacefaring civilization one jump away. C'mon, Stellaris, you know better than this.

So far I managed to find one homeworld because it was really close, but they're pre-FTL and I can't do anything with 'em because I desperately need the influence elsewhere. I got some events where some of my citizens went back to live on it, and you'd think that would do something, but nope, they're blissfully unaware that alien life exists and I've got no way of coming back and being like "hey, remember how you know full well that alien life exists, because we did a deal with MSI and they took a bunch of us of indentured servitude? Well, what's up, some of us came back". I find that a bit strange and underwhelming, honestly.

The minute you can defeat their ships/starbase, you can just bombard the poo poo out of them until they're all dead or the war auto-completes (set war goal to 'cede planet'!)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If they wanted to survive peacefully, they wouldn't have been born on a planet next to the player character.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, the way fleets' damage works in Stellaris, you can defeat each of the fleets that aren't bigger than yours without taking many losses. The biggest fleet is roughly the size of your fleet, so you could probably beat it by just purpose-building your ships to beat theirs.

So really, all you have to do is survive long enough to eclipse that main fleet. You can also punch way, way above your #s by fighting an enemy fleet next to a starbase you built with the right attachments.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CapnAndy posted:

I know, sheesh. It's not even my war, I was just watching the robot uprising and then being utterly shocked by how much power they were able to concentrate.

That'd be an unwinnable hypothetical war, though. Too many fleets that eclipse mine, which means I'd need to double up everywhere, and they have so goddamn many that I'd be either hit on every side or they'd clump up into overwhelming force. Defeating them in detail would let dozens of other fleets run rampant and take all my systems, and I can't defeat them in force. I've got allies too, but nobody swinging half that much weight.

This is why I always try to identify chokepoints, so that I don't have to maintain multiple empires' worth of fleets to defend against multiple fleets.

Not that it matters, really, because war is always just a measure of your alloy production capabilities and you can generally replace fleets faster than it takes to get them to where they're supposed to be anyways.

I often find myself getting to a part where planet invasions aren't as in-character for how spiteful I get over particularly rude enemy empires so I just orbital bombardment the planets until they're empty. Become the hunter in the forest!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You know what's pretty freaky is that if you saw a gigantic space monster eat a star, or a planet, or whatever it would be totally silent. So all the poo poo that monsters/zerg/we do in Stellaris to destroy empires and populations is totally silent to everyone except the immediate victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I haven't played Stellaris in a super long time and did a game on my deck this weekend!

I started as a Life-Seeded civilization, completely surrounded by a big ol empire of space racist geckos who would up owning half the galaxy. They were usually in some form of conflict with everyone in the entire galaxy except for me. I generally avoid joining the galactic community, but I really wanted to build tall this time so I didn't even try to maintain relations.

The game proceeded along these lines: a galaxy-wide conflict between everyone and my space racist buddies (and a robot empire that died shockingly fast) ending up at roughly a stalemate. Then the racists got gobbled up by not-zerg and it became a galaxy-wide conflict between everyone and the not-zerg. The not-zerg were probably able to conquer everyone pretty easily, but then they decided to focus on me exclusively for a while. Except I was very strong and only had to defend two chokepoints which I did very easily. No loss of systems.

The rest of the galaxy ultimately managed to defeat them, or at least get to a standstill because the not-zerg kept launching these massive attacks at me that I would fairly easily repel. Once I decided to start to push back and reconquer systems, taking them from the not-zerg, everyone hated me for some reason and nobody would sign a NAP even though they survived the crisis because of my stalwart defense.

So I became the space racist not-zerg crisis.

I elevated the xenophobe/militarist factions, pivoted extremely hard away from research and turned my home planet from a science fortress into a factory fortress. If these stupid assholes weren't going to be my buddies, they were going to be my slaves. I allowed slavery and started building transit centers. The only aliens that would be spared my wrath were the remnants of my ablative shield of space racists.

At this point I felt like it was at that point where you couldn't really lose, so I was ready to take some risks. I reached into the Shroud and as luck (lol) would have it, having neither spoiled it nor experienced it, chose End of the Cycle, which made me The Most Powerful Empire In The History Of Space. Conquering people is very annoying and with any luck it would just kill everyone and I could just put up another unassailable defense. 50 Years goes by, and that did not happen.

Now I'm playing a completely different game and honestly I am here for it. Everyone hates me, and I was not ready for it but more importantly neither are any of those other assholes.