Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

What's the title a reference to? Other than Wiz and the death of the warp drive, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

rizzen posted:

I'm sure that there aren't any bad things at all waiting for you in this system. Not a single one.

Can't be anything bad waiting for him there if he already beat them to it, weren't you reading?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

You need to maintain a culled area around your capital and use pirates as a buffer force

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

War in the Status Quo

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Honestly I wish habitats were better, or that the one where you can have specialized ones was in base. Or have some way similar to the mastery of nature edict where once you can build ringworlds/other mega structures you can expand your habitats to 25 tile so they aren't a overall drain.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Yeah I never really had a problem with pirates, they seem to only spawn in the same system until that one is occupied, with a heavy preference for one tile pockets. Can be kinda annoying early game, but they quickly become fleet fodder. Maybe even add a tag to heavily reduce the mtth on their spawns (or greatly increase their power) either at a late game date or a certain tech threshhold, as is they just become more busy micro.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So I did an Inward Perfection game. Basically sat around outeched and outbuilt everything until they're all pathetic. But can't do anything because I'm pacifist. Seems like a better empire to have as a stumbling block for a player that to play yourself.

It's almost 2400 and I haven't fought at all!

Doing a similar run. Almost 2600 and I've outpaced the FEs in tech -- although I also got the mod to remove the single limit on nexus/dyson spheres for something to do. Only fought one war (joined the neutrals out of fear from war in heaven) but that giant war fizzled out because of WE. Just triggered all the crises at once to see if something eventually happens.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

On one hand, the autobuild mod is probably mandatory to protect from carpal tunnel. On the other hand, it removes 70% of the gameplay. Hmmmmmmmmm

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Iunno, it'd be cool if the megastructures were the start of the endgame, with your civ managing the transition to a type 2 civ and trying to vie to be the only power that can go to type 3. As is you get some cool end game toys that have a bunch of restrictions on how you can play with them that also don't really make a material difference in the way you approach the late game or strategize in general.

hobbesmaster posted:

Also works for reducing maintenance on stuff you’re not using because you moved pops off planet. Need to remember to turn them back on as pops grow though.

Also this is awful micro that should 100% be automated, I'm not sure there's ever a reason to have buildings activated but not used. Unless you want to purposefully burn energy because ???

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Libluini posted:

I'm kind of torn on the changes. Yeah sure, it's nice that bugs like that unity-crap was fixed, but as someone who went mad building starbases in my current game I kind of fear opting in for this beta patch: Not only fucks it with all my plans that +2 starbases is now -20% upkeep instead, I already crashed my economy once by expanding my line of fortresses too fast. Now I think this will happen after the patch: My income will go from +20 to something like -100, followed by bankruptcy a couple months later. gently caress.

Maybe I should just abandon my assimilator-game? :(

Or just cheat yourself a surplus to tide you over while you readjust your empire.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Lake Effect posted:

I have an alternate theory that really only Wiz et al could confirm (I have no expectation on this one way or the other):

Maybe Pirates are working exactly as intended. They are a game mechanic to explicitly put a throttle on early over-expansion. Sometimes the cost of a game mechanic/balance choice isn't just an ingame number being adjusted but **making the cost be user annoyance**.

Same for locking automated survey behind a midish game tech, except that's horrible and wrist breaking

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Spiritualists experience the shroud like King of the Dragon Pass Hero Quests, Materialists like they're God-Learners

(Paradox do this please)

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Is there a hotkey to upgrade all on a defense platform? Better, add a hotkey to upgrade all on all starbases

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I really want to like the game, but the scale needed to make the mid/late game interesting (having an absolute ton of stars and advanced AIs that you cower on the periphery of) also makes the game chug at the mid/late game. And yeah, by the time you get all your cool toys and can play around with them you find out they're half gimped and you've been peerless for the past 70 years either way.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

One day ascension perks will be cool and interesting. Until then, +4 starbases.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I feel like they should be far more transformational, and far less commonplace, than they currently are. It should be a huge deal when you pick one. I don't like how many of the perks are really just feats of engineering, or relatively weak bonuses to cap or research.

An ascension perk should be a defining attribute of the species, something that transforms it into something unique. Maybe something so unique that only one species can get each one.

Agreed, but I don't mind stacking whacky ones so you can have your psyonic genemodded cyborgs that build space elevators. Also stop gating all the cool megastructures behind five ascension picks.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Benagain posted:

Rogue servitors should not start next to two pre ftl species and one in need of uplifting.

I mean, it's awesome, but this game is gonna be broken.

Play as exterminators/servitors, crank pre-ftl civs up to max. Enjoy the free ride

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Aethernet posted:

The utility of minerals remains pretty constant throughout the game, which stands in contrast to the utility of food: upgrading past farm2/3 is often not worth it once you have a large enough surplus to speed pop growth.

Disagree, upgrading farms remains worth because you can get rid of your other farms and use the tile for stuff that doesn't suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I still want a midgame tech to weaponize asteroid fields in a way that your fleet can use them as creeping cover or you just throw a ton at a (fort?) planet. Basically Armageddon bombardment done cheap.