Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

axeil posted:

Great op, gonna repost a question from the last thread.

Does anyone have any good mods that add in races/empires from other sci-fi franchises?

Also any recommended mods that still maintain ironman/achievements?

There are some great animated Mass Effect portraits. And some mods add in them as pre-built races, but I disagreed with their trait picks and just made my own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Wiz posted:

This is either a straight up lie or you haven't found the 'Defenses' tab yet.

EDIT: Hell, even without defensive platforms a Citadel with all turrets will be significantly more than 12k. I honestly think you're just making poo poo up.

I played for about six hours yesterday, and somehow hadn't found the "Defenses" tab

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Wiz, what are the odds of getting a slider for war exhaustion or something.

Like it'd be cool if I could play game with war exhaustion multiplied by 0.1 if I wanted to.

War exhaustion is ridiculous right now. I was playing as a dominant power rolling over a mid-sized empire to vassalize it. I never lost a single ship, and the closest fight was something like 3:1 in my favor. And yet I still got forced into a white peace due to war exhaustion before I could complete the wargoal. I'm playing a machine empire, I don't *want* to conquer their land and why are my robots getting tired of war anyway?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Wiz posted:

Realism is not a meaningful argument. Without war exhaustion and forced status quo peaces, every single war would be to the death.

That said, it might be ticking up too fast right now.

I agree with you that realism is not a good argument, however I don't think the war exhaustion system works well with subjugation wars. I think it would feel better to have a forced white peace due to war exhaustion instead split off any of their land you've taken into a new vassal state. After all, if you wanted to take the land directly you'd be waging a conquest war, but allowing subjugation wars to bypass war exhaustion and go to the death makes it an easy way to take control of huge enemies.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

I can't find any way to set rally points anymore. Were those removed?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I'm pretty sure there is when you're in the system view there's some new buttons on the bottom of the screen, one for claims and one to mark the system no-go.

Man, I wish I noticed that earlier. I had a game where my empire had two Wormholes, on opposite sides. Each wormhole connected to the other side of the galaxy, and were really close by with a single star system between them. W--{}--W

Unfortunately, that {} system had a stellar devourer in it. So any time I tried to move a fleet across the empire, they would try to hop through the wormhole to take the much faster route. And then get eaten by a star monster. Lost an entire fleet before I noticed the first time, and started manually issuing shift-click orders to avoid the wormholes.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

I mean if you look at the screenshot there's ALSO a size 24 Gaia world one jump from my beautiful artificial paradise homeworld so I mean

The galaxy is sending me real mixed messages here.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

How do you rate tradition tree opener/finishers? Curious because like Nevets said research has a +5% that you get even faster than +2 starbases, and people are all about taking the +10% perk. Which is .. kind of less than finishing the discovery tree (you get 10% + something).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for all the perks to actually be interesting, but it isn't exactly "shite". There are several that are more situational, but even the one that I think is actually poo poo (+5 core worlds) I accept that it exists for people who hate sectors. Even one vision has a solid place in some setups, along with interstellar dominion.

It's a question of marginal utility. You tend to have a handful of Really Important Starbases, and then everything else is just energy or anchorages. +4 starbases is only as good as your 4 least useful starbases. On the other hand, every point of tech is exactly as good as every other point of tech. +10% research speed is good because it's another unique stacking bonus to something that you can never have enough of. Even minerals and energy have stockpile limits, so eventually it stops mattering if you're at +500 or +550 minerals. But since tech points just keep making your techs faster without any cap or diminishing returns, you want to stack every bonus you can find.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

Also, during my game yesterday playing as Rogue Servitors, I noticed something odd. Pirates would appear and then... not attack. I'd get the pop-up about pirates, so they were mine, but they'd just sit in the system they popped in and not do anything except defend their stronghold. Made them really easy to deal with but obviously not intended. Going to have to see later today if the patch changed things.

How long do you leave them? In my RS game, pirates spawn and then a few years later will attack with a tiny fleet

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Splicer posted:

If you've never played Sword of the Stars 1, pick it up!

If you've never played Sword of the Stars 2 you have lived a charmed life.

If you have played Sword of the Stars 2, you are lying. Oh sure, people may have managed to get the program to start or even do stuff, unlikely as that may seem. But nothing anybody has done with SotS2 could be considered "play"

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Question about modding this game - I was mulling over the idea of adding flavortown quotes and/or descriptions in an event popup upon researching technologies or gaining Traditions, ala Alpha Centauri.

I started digging into the files for this game, and it looks like this should be possible with actions. Anyone have suggestions on how to go about this, or existing mods I can peek at to see how this is handled?

I have much less experience with stellaris modding, but the way this would be handled in other games is through the on_actions file/folder. You're going to end up with an enormous list of events, but I figure you already know that. This sort of onaction trigger should be pretty straightforward, the "hard" part will be the tedium of writing that many events.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Yeah, more just interested in the feasibility. I have a ton of time during my commute to write this kind of thing, but I figure getting something together first before investing all the time writing would be a good place to start.

Game related question: is settling on a tile supposed to give you the resources on that tile? Or are they gone forever?

In that case yeah, this should be 100% feasible. I believe you want the on_tech_increased action, and just add all of your events to the block (or make your own block in your own file, as described on the stellaris wiki).

Here's some modding help, not sure if you need it or not. If you already know all this, feel free to disregard me.

There are two obvious ways to handle it. Either you have a different event for each tech you want a description for, or you have conditional descriptions for a single event. The latter is less work to write, but the former is easier to read and manage (in my opinion, your personal organizational views/needs may vary).

Since each empire can only research a tech once, you don't need to worry about flags or anything to prevent repeat events. I'd suggest adding an is_ai=no trigger to the event(s) to cut down slightly on lag. Even without it, I doubt it's a big deal though. Here's an example event you could do

code:
country_event = {
	id = techflavor.1
	title = techflavor.1.name
	desc = techflavor.1.desc
        picture = GFX_evt_ship_in_orbit

is_triggered_only = yes

trigger = {
		is_ai = no
		has_technology = tech_destroyers
	}

option = {
		name = "OK"
	}
}
If you add techflavor.1 to the on_tech_increased onaction definition, then any time a player empire researches Destroyers, they'll get a popup with techflavor.1.name at the top of the window and techflavor.1.desc as the body and "OK" as the confirmation button. Then you just have a localisation file with techflavor.1.name and techflavor.1.desc defined in it, and you've got a flavor box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Gyshall posted:

A pro post, thank you. I'm very familiar with making mods with Bethesda games, so editing text files should be no problem. Really appreciate the write up, I'll be off and working on this in no time.

As a final bit of advice, the wikis are great. The stellaris one is a little lacking, but the mod structure has not significantly changed since EU4, and the EU4 modding wiki pages are some of the best I've ever seen.