Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Gort posted:

How does the launcher stop you playing?

Edit: Looks like the launcher's bypassable, just run stellaris.exe, which for me is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stellaris

Yup, I do that all the time, and feels much quicker. Only downside is the inability to change what mods you have currently loaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Ak Gara posted:

I managed to get the game to run, and updated all my mods but strange thing, some civics list no effect. Not all, only some. I've removed any civic changing mods I can think of but it still happens?

Presuming this only affects vanilla Civics, and not the ones that originate from mods? If so its definitely a mod order issue - basically you have two different mods which both have different versions of the same 00_civics.txt file - probably as they both make tweaks to vanilla civics.

You need to go into the launcher (or mod manager if you use one) and make sure the main Civics mod you want to use is pushed down to the bottom of the listed active mods.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Libluini posted:

To be honest, I was a bit torn on the espionage-thing, but seeing my favorite ascension perk being adapted to block the AI-fuckers from stealing my techs made my day. I'm now 100% on board with this.

Also, could you Stellaris-devs please go and acquire the rights to Master of Orion III, and rewrite the code so you can block enemy spies from stealing your poo poo there, too? Thanks in advance

On MOO3 - what you want should be an option in the 'TechTags' setting in Bhruic's MOO3 (fan) patcher. It lets you add flags to each tech in the techtables file, giving you the ability to prevent them from being stolen, traded, captured or given in a random event.

I only know this because I persevered with trying to like MOO3 for far too long.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Yami Fenrir posted:

The devs said as much - the AI will not pick it nor can they plan it.

To be fair, this is one of several reasons why they ditched the alternate starting FTL methods (Warp Drive, Wormhole Drive) in the first place.

It was proving way too complicated to have to maintain either 3 different types of AI, one for each of the different FTL methods, or a single AI type that was somehow capable of using all 3.

And even when they moved down to just Hyperlanes, it still took ages to refine it. Its far from perfect, but its a lot better than it used to be.

I think its understandable for a few of the most exotic thematic playstyles to be player only. It gives players choice and flavour, but some are just too niche/nuanced/different to be practical to expect the AI to not fall down flat on its face trying to use them.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

quote:

The new Precision Cogs civic will allow a "Chief Posting Officer" Council role

Well I'm sold

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I think they made a design mistake in allowing "Generic-level leaders" (ie: the bog-standard randomly generated leaders like we used to have) to benefit from so many of the new features that were clearly introduced with "Paragon-level Leaders" in mind.

They tried to introduce a new system designed around a new class of elite level Paragons, but then also applied it to existing leaders. This resulted in major power creep, which they have opted to try to manage with an artificial leader cap system. This changes gameplay in multiple other areas - making it harder to survey and explore, harder to assign governors to as many key worlds, harder to make sure your fleets have admirals, etc. This annoys players, who feel something has been taken away from them.

There should probably have been a two-tier system, where generic leaders are buffed a bit, being able to use a few new minor traits and buffs, but were not substantively that different from before, at least in terms of power (by all means keep the new UI, the lore fluff about home planets, background and such). Whilst the unique, story and event driven paragon-level leaders could be as powerful and 'special' as they are now.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

The problem I find with it, is that if you or the enemy have multiple fleets, it can lead to you getting multiple end of battle report popups, rather than one single, consolidated one.

As such, data on kills and losses is often spread across multiple different battle summary windows, so it can be hard to work out how successful a battle was overall, how many ships were lost, etc.

Its minor but it can be a nuisance sometimes.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Yami Fenrir posted:

Back in the day you also had multi-empire systems occasionally.

I must admit I dislike how the current "Each system is controlled by a starbase and can have only one owner" is so rigid, and can't handle edge cases.

I realize its simpler and better overall than the old ''Buildable Frontier Outposts" and "Colonies extend your Border Range", but the new mechanic is so absolute, you can have cases where a primitive civilization can emerge on Mars (via subterranean event) and once it reaches FTL it gains inmmediate total control and ownership over Earth, even if your empire controls most of the galaxy.

No way to appeal it, stop it, etc - the game mechanics demand that systems only have one owner, so you instantly lose your homeworld by event fiat.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Hoping for gas giant aliens. Space cows/jellyfish/energy clouds floating in atmosphere of colonisable gas giants.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

AtomikKrab posted:

So plant based necrophages who are photo/radiotrophic with mutual aid can basically pay for their own upkeep via trade value since they cost .25 energy .25 food, very nice

Consider the Lillies of the field. See how they grow and yet they neither toil or spin. Ahhhh...

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

uber_stoat posted:

i like the flavah of invading with armies of clones or dinosaurs or Gigeraliens so i hope they preserve something of that essence in whatever rework.

Yeah, whilst armies in their current design can be tedious, I think all this "Bah its a hassle get rid of it all" that crops up from some players is an overreaction and risks throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Stellaris prides itself on recreating or representing "fantasies"* from science fiction. And 'ground combat' in some form is a HUGE part of various science fiction franchises, from Starship Troopers, to Halo, to Star Wars, to Warhammer 40k, etc.

Improve ground combat? Absolutely! Maybe even transform it completely from its current design and try that ship module idea that keeps coming up (and is suggested above). But removing ground combat from the game entirely would be an overreaction and would lose those sci fi themes and links. Streamline and improve not remove.

*"Fantasies" is Paradox's choice of words - I think its a bit weird - 'tropes' feels more accurate - but they have spoken about it a fair bit in dev diaries - its clearly a big design philosophy of theirs.

Tigey fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 6, 2023

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

A big part of Stellaris is the early game - of exploring and building up your empire. In 40k that's not really a thing, you would have to start with a preexisting large empire, and the scale would lead to performance issues.

Also, I'm sure it would be done very unimaginatively:
"Roboute Guilliman = -10 Empire Sprawl"
"Angron = +10 Army Damage, +10 Collateral Damage"

etc

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I hope this Astral Rift stuff is more than just archaeological sites 2.0 though. A site that dumps a bit of flavour lore and then gives you a bog standard vanilla tech isn't hugely interesting.

I'd like some more interesting and active interactions, like its a rift to an alternate universe and you get invaded by a multiverse version of your own empire, or an creepy Orz like entity detects you coming through and pokes its *fingers* into our dimension to *dance* with your ships. Or some kind of mini-crisis type event.

I just want more than a boring and uncreative: "You explored this ancient battleground and learned lessons from their ancient tactics, get +5% fire rate and -5% ship upkeep"

Tigey fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 20, 2023

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Adding race portraits and custom empires is easy. Might be mildly harder for Star Control, but purely for aesthetic reasons, due to its old and pixelly art not being a natural fit with the rest of Stellaris' style.

As for 'scenarios' though - from experience, its a huge amount of work to make fixed map 'scenarios' ingame.

Its possible, but you have to manually create and position individual systems. And no map editor or any useful tools like that - you have to write each one out in the notepad files from scratch. And that's just the map - let alone the events, creating established planets/fleets for each empire, etc. Stellaris' AI and game mechanics will also fight against you every step of the way, with the AI deciding the Syreen and Mycon should ally, and that the Arilou should declare war on the Earthlings, etc.

Stellaris is mainly set up for random starts. Its why very few mods bother with making fixed starts, with the main exceptions being the big Star Trek and Star Wars ones. Their creators probably have more time than sense.

Tigey fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 23, 2023

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

EDIT: Beaten, drat it

One of the streamers (Montu I think) recently picked up on that, as well as fact that all of the last few DLCs have been worked on by other studios.

As he is a poo poo stirrer eager for views, he immediately jumped to speculating that the main studio must be working on a big expansion, or Stellaris 2.

Not convinced, but it is odd.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

With Nexus, and some of the other stuff (the Boardgame, the Art-stealing Mobile game, the roguelike, etc) they really seem to be trying to make Stellaris into an IP of its own.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Libluini posted:

Living ships would be a cool idea, yeah. Especially since it'd be a step closer to my old dream, recreating the crystalline, life-eating Abruse from my favorite SF-series. They technically don't build ships either, like the Tyranids. In their case, infected planets turn the oceans into big solution pools that slowly "grow" crystalline ships in them. Including the crew (though that's complicated, from a certain viewpoint, crewmembers are barely sentient crystal formations, and the "captain" is often a strangely organic looking mobile crystal formation that's only there to add some intuition to what otherwise would just be a big, floating crystal computer).

They're weird, and they don't fit very well into Stellaris with their solar-system spanning death aura (that would be kinda OP as a weapon), but I want them!

I think it would be best if something like this were to be added as a trait, something like "Bio-Ship Assemblers" to keep a mostly neutral term. You'd need organic material to slowly grow your ships, and Lithoids would instead use minerals. Drawback: Growing your ships like animals/crystals is loving slow, and bigger ships like battleships are what your ships are growing into, you better wait and not lose any of your small ships in the meantime. But on the other hand, you don't need alloys and all your ships have strong self-healing abilities.

At least that's how I would implement this kind of thing. :v:

This idea sounds great for a Crisis type event - a race that converts habitable systems into more crystalline horde ships for you to fight (with the planets being made into barren/crystal world terraforming candidates). That kind of 'strip & consume planets and move on' might be trickier to do for playable races though - it's a bit at odds with core Stellaris game mechanics (colonies and pops) and could be difficult to balance.

More widely, Crystalline aliens are such a major sci-fi trope that I kinda feel Stellaris hasn't done that much with the concept. We have the Crystalline Entity systems, and a few rocky crystal looking races in Lithoids, but not that much else all things considered. Space Empires V used them as one of its major tech theme playstyles (alongside tropes like Organic tech races, Temporal tech races, etc) and it feels like there are more opportunities for themed play, such as growing your own Crystalline Entities as either controllable fleets or uncontrollable 'guard dog' system defenses, etc. The existing ship models are pretty and a bit underused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Yeah it'd be nice to have more options for doing some really funky transhuman stuff with your empire leader.

We can now - kinda - turn our leader into a sort of 40k God Emperor, although it and the Galactic Imperium feel a little underdone.

It'd be cool if they added content that let us turn our leader into a giant sandworm or other monster, merging with some kind of alien (maybe the Horizon Signal Worm?) that gives them mental or psychic superpowers. Or something that lets them transcend into a being of pure energy or something.

Basically the rest of the race remains largely the same - but they are now ruled over by a transhuman being of some kind. It'd be a great way to make Imperial/Dictatorial governments more interesting.