Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Any tips for getting the Imperial Seat? Especially with what government and civic combos you pursued.

Just bungled my second attempt, this time as a Void-dwelling Xenophilic MegaChurch. An AI player submitted themselves as a custodian. Before veto power came up to vote, the Khan appeared and then his custodianship rocketed to the top for a vote. Couldn't sway it with all of the favors and influence I could muster at the time.

When I attempt this again some day, I'll keep a closer eye on the timing. Had I been in the custodian queue when a crisis popped, it would likely have been a different story. It seems like Federations don't play much of a part in the path there, either - not even my own comrades could have their votes swayed =(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Finally became Emperor after a couple of failed attempts!

It's too bad I couldn't change my civilization name from the assigned ImperiCorp, even if it is clever.

Having access to both MegaCorp and Standard Empire civics was a treat. I continued to stack trade value and diplomatic power, but I reckon there are some broken combos in there.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Shadowlyger posted:

I've been able to change my empire's name after becoming the Galactic Emperor, you just click on your empire name on that tab.

Hot dog, that worked! I wonder if that's one of their recent QoL updates, I don't remember having a way to fix it before.

Thanks space friend

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Joining a Stellaris multiplayer "tournament" game this weekend. They've got some house rules that are interesting - no surprise wars before certain dates, no custodianship, and a few others to level the playing field.

As someone that's mostly played single player, what are some empire builds you'd recommend for a multiplayer experience? Not necessarily looking to optimize, I just want to know what might be more unique to having more humans. For example, Criminal Heritage might have more impact against human players rather than AIs.

Any suggestions?

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

New human models are pretty good!

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
New content is pretty enjoyable. Only one game into it so far, with the Specialized Vassal origin. I appreciate that most of the new origins have a little story to go along with them.

It's always nice to get a fresh batch of events too, and I like to see how they use the new Situation system. For example, I got one situation involving a starbase at a black hole in which it gets pulled into the gravity well. You have to decide if it goes in closer to absorb more dark matter and physics research, or to pull out entirely. From what I could tell, you can just micromanage the situation indefinitely and hope your gamble pays off. . It may be a little more click heavy, but I prefer situations that are managed beyond "Commit to research points and you're done"

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
I recently joined an MP group and they shared some empire creation rules. The PDF says "SCM" with a logo so I'm not sure if that's a larger Stellaris tournament org or something.

code:
Banned Civics: 
- Any genocidal 
- Anything that generates AIs (Hegemony, Lost Colony, etc)
- Clone Army
- Rogue Servitors
- Merchant Guilds combined with Void Dwellers
- Citizen Service
- Permanent Employment

Banned during gameplay:
- No custodian or emperor
- No Crisis perk
There are also lots of rules on when you can declare war on other players, but I'm not sure if that's germane.

Anyhoo, I don't have explanations behind any of these rules. At a glance, there's no clear theme. IE, Citizen Service is presumably strong because of the extra naval capacity, but there are plenty of other civics that provide the same.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
I know folks are still testing out the waters with Galactic Paragons, but how does it compare to First Contact?

I'm itching for Stellaris and figured I'd buy one of the expacs for fresh content, depending on thread opinions.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Finished one branch of the Under One Rule origin:

I liked the flavor of the origin a lot - dealing with a corrupt ruler which is causing civil conflict. Mechanically though, it put a lot of extra pressure on empire macro management. Lots of unhappiness and differing ethics attraction. If you choose to assassinate or go into civil war, you're forced into a conflict with some of your own colonies. This happened when I was wrapping up a war with another Civ, so it was stressful to say the least, and I can see the timing on this being really bad. Naturally, I had to do a lot of cleanup of bad starbase decisions made by the splinter faction. Not sure if the risk and overhead monitoring is worth the reward.

Might be replayable, but it's not my favorite. Did anyone have majorly different experiences?

Here's the bonus I got for that path, for anyone curious:

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

two fish posted:

Oh. What's the main point of scion, then? Just RP?

There aren't too many major mechanical changes. I think it mostly provides free resources, fleets, leaders, etc.

So yeah, mostly RP. Gives you a chance to play on respectful terms with a Fallen Empire. Or to outgrow and then beat up your dad.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
trolling some pals in my next multiplayer match

haven't actually played it but hope I got it close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Maybe you want to bully a neighbor, but naturally aligning ethics are building trust. Harm relations will reverse that so that you can declare a rivalry. Or sometimes it can bait them into a war on your terms.

As for the flavor, I assume it's public denouncements or trade embargos.

I don't know if Harm Relations actually adds anything to the game though, beyond it being an extra step in diplomacy. It's always been a quick means to an end, rather than part of a long term strategy.