Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The one major issue I hold with the game is a total lack of options in intel-gathering against an opponent before a war. It's always guesswork whether I beat an equivalent force numerically - that fees unsatisfying still.

Is there an equivalent to 1.x's "Active Sensor Link" trade deal in 2.0?

Because my SOP was to trade for ASL on anyone I thought I might go to war with. I'd gladly pay a few minerals a month for the short time before they ceased to exist, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Axetrain posted:

So what are peoples first choice of ascension perk these days?

I usually take something that snowballs over time, like technological ascendency. Getting an extra 10% research speed early is really nice.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Stupid question but is there a way to bind the fleet manager to one of the F-keys instead of one of the default menus?

Or is there a shortcut to it in general?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

James The 1st posted:

What makes mining outposts more expensive? Does the cost go up the more mining outposts you can build in the system?

They're always 90/each, but there seems to be some bug related to clicking the ship's menu and selecting to build from there. It seems to want to charge you to build for ALL of the positions rather than just one.

Instead, select the ship, right-click the planet/asteroid/whatever, and build from that menu.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

nessin posted:

To be fair, each pop point could represent millions or billions of individuals. I'd say a few million super robots is equivalent to a really big starbase.

Yeah. I've always thought of a pop representing a really big number.

I remember seeing some math on reddit that estimated 1 pop = 1 billion. No idea if that's accurate (probably not), but I still ballpark lots of zeroes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Time to run that tech tree up like some nerd's underwear up a flagpole.

I had a game (in 1.9) where I was blocked in by BOTH the Dimensional Horror and the Ether Drake (one after the other). I was 100% immune to attack for a very, very long time. It was the best game.

Edit: you even have two unsettled worlds at least. That's a great defensive position.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

OwlFancier posted:

I am a gaia only start :v:

So I'm not actually in too bad a way, it is a good position yes and "heaven's gate" couldn't be a better name for the only way into the core of an empire based around the idea of guarding a literal doorway to heaven.

Tech up terraforming and habitability and settle them anyway. It doesn't take much to get to bare minimum habitability to put some pops over there. Then build robots everywhere.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Huh, looks like Marauder empires are pretty tough huh.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm playing a defensive Fanatic Purifier. Fanatic Xenophobe, Spiritualist, Democratic. We like to vote on which xeno scum is the worst.

We just sit in our claimed space (which is larger than any other empire right now), on our one perfect Gaia world, happily building the biggest, baddest, most kick-rear end defensive stations you'll find anywhere. Then when someone pokes us, we wipe them out. There's no negotiation, we just bomb their homeworld into a tomb world, then work our way outwards until we calm down. We haven't built a single offensive army, but our Strong, Resilient population has heavily fortified the homeworld. We're also beautiful butterflies.

So far the poor humans who border us to the southeast have poked us twice. Once they declared war, and once they sent us an insult. Their remnants of the species is now scraping out a meager existence on a size 12 barren, barely-habitable rock orbiting Alpha Centauri. There aren't many of them left. The polls are split between "poor things, we should put them out of their misery" and "let them suffer, there are bigger fish to fry."

Anyway my biggest bottleneck right now is energy. I'm maxxed out on influence. I find myself taking the few remaining influence edicts, even the ones I don't really need, just to have something to spend it on. But those big defensive stations just suck down energy like crazy.

That said, it's 2280ish, my fleet is superior to everyone I've found so far, and my primary defensive station on my contested frontier is TWICE the strength of my fleet. So far it's repelled the humans, their disgusting bug-people friends, and the mauraders (twice).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

really queer Christmas posted:

How long do you need to bombard a planet to turn it into a tomb world? I didn’t have a very large fleet (3 destroyers and 20 corvettes) but I bombed a world for 7 years and most of the planet was rubble, but I had to stop because war exhaustion was at 90.

When the last pop dies, the world is ruined.

Every time you chew through the planet’s health bar one of three things happens:

A crater tile blocker appears, removing both building and pop.

A building is ruined.

A pop dies.

It seems to be weighted to occur in that order, but it’s not absolute.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

So my 10k Star Fortress (with 4k fleet backup) managed to (barely) stop a 24k Maurader clan under the great Khan. That was pretty sweet, until they showed up with 30k fleet a few months later and destroyed it. :(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I wish the hyperspace registrar affected connected systems too, so you could build a web of them across the core of your empire

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Westminster System posted:

Just saw this on the Stellaris subreddit...

:allears:

If that were my game, that would be three size 10 tomb worlds, a wormhole into the middle of an advanced start fanatic purifier, and a gateway into the middle of a maurader horde.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I have two questions!

1) Is there a way to "unclaim" a territory? Can I just disband a starbase and abandon the system entirely? (This is relevant after wars where you suddenly have a non-contiguous stripe of land with nothing but poo poo systems you don't care about or want.)

2) Is there a way to bind the fleet manager to a key so I don't have to click through the menu to get to it every time?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pylons posted:

Yes. Select the starbase and then "dismantle".

I must be blind because I visually scoured the starbase menu and couldn't find it. Got a screenshot?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pylons posted:

If it's an upgraded starbase, it should be "downgrade", then you can dismantle. Might have to do it multiple times.

God drat I feel like an idiot. I was looking for the "disband" button and never even made the association that "dismantle" might do the same thing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Randarkman posted:

So, I just researched wormhole stabilization and one of my wormholes (I have 3 within my borders) leads almost straight to the capital world of a life-seeded empire. They have a pretty large empire and a good fleet, but they only have the one world.

What happens if I were to take it in a war? Do their stations and empire just go bye-bye?

Yeah. If you somehow manage to take (and hold) their only world, their empire will cease to exist. No different than any other civ.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

OwlFancier posted:

If I have a complaint about starbases it's that I'm not sure anything other than missiles are worth it as defensive options.

Cos, like, you don't actually have control over what they equip otherwise, while missiles are just universally good against basically everything, and you can equip them in as great a volume as medium weapon mounts. I think they're probably supposed to be balanced to be a little less numerous? But as it stands the choice between 2 good-vs-everything missile weapons (especially once it loads them with swarm missiles) and 2 maybe-good-against-some-things medium guns... that's not really a choice.

Hangars especially are weird because you only get one per slot? You get the same number as you do medium guns on the platforms so why not on the starbase?

What do you mean "you don't have control" over what weapons are on a starbase?

The gun modules put kinetic weapons on the base, and you can custom build the defense platforms to have whatever

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

New game. My second jump is to a pulsar system. After surveying it, I get a message that it’s a countdown that will end in 40 years. This system is at the end of a long hyper lane whose only exit is through every single inhabited system I own.

How hosed am I?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mayor Dave posted:

Not at all, you'll be fine, nothing bad is going to happen.

Don’t lie to me.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tomn posted:

I will note that the Khanate looks scarier than it is - it has a lot of fleets, but it usually seems to send them into any given area one at a time, with a short delay before sending in another way. With a fleet strong enough to stomp them flat or a powerful defensive starbase it's not that hard to fend them off...until the point where they break through your weaker neighbors and outflank your defenses, anyways, but it's possible to hold them in check long enough that they don't have much of a chance to rampage before the Khan dies.

Also I'm not sure if it's a matter of fleet composition or tech or what, but I find that Khanate fleets don't seem to be quite as formidable as their fleet power suggests - I only needed to be a little bit stronger than they were to flatten them with fairly low losses. Might have just been a quirk of the way my ships were designed, though.

I noticed the same thing. In my last game, I was freaking out because a 24k fleet was heading straight into my empire, and there were half a dozen others floating around between 5k and 30k. Clicking each revealed a different target system; they were not doomstacking.

However, my 10k fortress with 4k fleet backup shredded that 24k fleet (although with heavy losses). Only the 7k titan managed to escape.

Sadly the 30k fleet came through that same system a couple months later, but it was just coincidence, as it had a target in my neighbor's space and just happened to be passing through.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just name my stuff for what’s on it.

Missile corvette. Plasma defense station. Mixed laser/kinetic

Etc

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jenny Angel posted:

I played a run of this last summer (shortly before Synthetic Dawn dropped) and was quite enjoying it for a while, but things petered out towards the end of the first in-game century when my Federation had crushed pretty much any remaining military opposition in the galaxy, most of my economic and fleet development was on autopilot, and I realized that I'd likely just be coasting along for another 100 years or so until an Endgame Crisis came along. The thing that felt most disappointing was the lack of ability to project non-military foreign influence - I could be part of a Federation and make some basic trade deals, but it never really felt like I could coerce other empires into living by my culture's ethical standards without tossing a huge fleet their way. Has the game added options around that stuff yet, or is diplomacy with AIs still almost exclusively in the military sphere?

Military is still the primary way you interact with other empires, but the initial land race is completely different now. There are also some interesting ways to shake things up now, like you can pay Mauraders to go gently caress someone up for you. There's also a Colossus that converts entire planets to your ethics.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Has anyone tested out Megacorporations yet in this patch?

The bonuses to trading hubs and the early private colony ships seem like they'd really snowball together. Pump energy production early, use that to fund your expansion, spend your minerals to upgrade the starbase to another set of trading hubs, start trading energy for minerals with the merchant exchanges, etc etc etc.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, the exhaustion thing made that particular option impossible unfortunately.

Against an equal-ish empire I typically have time to incinerate one or two medium (size 15ish) planets or one big one (20+). You have to keep two fleets, though, one to harry the enemy fleet that may come stop you (bonus points if you can fight near a starbase you've conquered) while the other nukes poo poo.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, getting rid of liberation wars has made pacifist play pretty boring. The only thing I could suggest would be disbanding most of your fleet, insulting neighbours, and hoping they declare war. Then build your fleet back up.

Retrofit your fleets to a design with absolute bare-minimum everything. Even take the engines out. It'll be cheaper and faster to upgrade than to rebuild everything.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

deleting a template and having a fleet disappear was a shock

Even though it warns you? I clicked the button once and it was like ARE YOU SURE BECAUSE THIS WILL DELETE THE FLEET TOO

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

toasterwarrior posted:

Wait, do you actually need low unrest to turn aliens into food/batteries?

Yeah. Turns out those people don't like you much! Morpheus has found Neo. The slaves have rallied. The cows overran a supply depo and strapped lightsabers to their horns. Do you want to try to eat an angry cow with lightsaber horns?

This was true even in 1.9. The 2.0 bug that was fixed was fixing unhappy pops not giving resources. You can have sad cows as long as they don't start strapping lightsabers to their horns.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 1, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

toasterwarrior posted:

Oh, alright. That does make sense. Sorry, never really played Determined Exterminators before so I was confused. I did play a Devouring Swarm, but that's when attack armies lowered unrest. Time to set up some fortresses and ship some bots in!

Yeah it was super easy to deal with unrest in 1.9. Drop in a load of troops, build some defensive armies, fire up the orbital mind control lasers, and maybe purge a couple of pops if poo poo is still rough.

Now it's harder. Gotta build that fortress, declare martial law, maybe build a black site in the local starbase.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canepazzo posted:

Also - not sure if this changed with 2.0 but Uplift is back to being doable in an owned system again, not neessary to colonize the planet anymore.

I did it countless times in 1.9.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Baronjutter posted:

So my raiders finally did a thing! They got a great khan and expanded into some unoccupied neighbouring systems and then stopped doing anything at all for a good 20 years. They've got a huge collection of massive fleets, each one could probably stomp a neighbour, but they just sit there. They only have 2 directions to go, one through a squishy federation, the other through a FE. They've chosen neither :(

Could they have access to a wormhole or gateway? Do you see activity elsewhere in the galaxy?

In my second Great Khan event, they ignored their immediate neighbors and went through a wormhole to gently caress up the fanatic pacifists on the other side of the galaxy, because there was easy access through a wormhole.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Enigmatic engineering + listening post gets you a ridiculous amount of information.

It’ll trigger hostile fleet warnings with ample time to respond.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah. Turns out those people don't like you much! Morpheus has found Neo. The slaves have rallied. The cows overran a supply depo and strapped lightsabers to their horns. Do you want to try to eat an angry cow with lightsaber horns?

This was true even in 1.9. The 2.0 bug that was fixed was not getting resources even if you reduced the unrest.

Slight correction to this:

The 2.0 bug that was fixed was not getting resources from unhappy pops. Even if you reduced unrest, they'd still be sad. Now it doesn't matter if the cows are sad, as long as they don't start strapping lightsabers to their horns.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

If you sort your contacts' "relative power" does the order mean anything? Like is the first "equivalent" empire the strongest of the equivalents.

I'm like 95% sure it is, because any time I see an empire with one "Superior" section it's at the top, and those with one "Inferior" section are always at the bottom. They also juggle around as things happen; I've watched an empire losing a war slowly slide down the rankings.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Reminds me of the Imperial Radch trilogy, where one of the central conflicts is different instantiations of the Supreme Leader deciding that the other group of instantiations has been compromised by hostile powers. :v:

The Radch would be a rad (lol) civ to model in stellaris, but there's not really a way to get an immortal hive-mind leader like Anaander in an otherwise regular human society. You could probably fake it but where's the fun in that

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Are machine leaders immortal? That seems hella good.

They don't have age checks, but they can randomly break down and die for no apparent reason. It's annoying.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

metasynthetic posted:

So apparently the enigmatic fortress is bugged, it just keeps respawning over and over after I kill it, and the popup that's supposed to start the event chain with projects you can complete doesn't actually give you anything to do. And it's engagement range is really big so my fleet is stuck in an endless cycle of trying to warp out, it wakes up, they move in to engage and kill it again, head back to the warp point, etc. Except that each time it wakes up it kills a couple of the ships in my all corvette fleet, so sooner or later it's going to destroy all 100. It already killed my admiral with this bullshit.

Fixed in the beta patch, according to the notes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I need a pastebin or similar of your user_empire_designs.txt to add it in.

Do you have an example so I can post a couple?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I need a pastebin or similar of your user_empire_designs.txt to add it in.

Oh found out that's an actual file.

Here is the Grand Extrasolar Indemnity Company. I wish I knew how to mod namelists so I could modify stuff like fleet design names. I love my "Accident Forgiveness-class" ships.

https://pastebin.com/bADWtsfj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A beta patch with that fix is already available. Not sure about final release date.