Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hello Stellaris thread. I'm interested in this game, and it's on sale on Steam, but I'm sort of confused by the 'versions' that are available and on sale. There are several versions:

Stellaris - $15.99
Stellaris Nova Edition - $19.99
Stellaris Galaxy Edition - $27.99
Stellaris Digital Anniversary Edition (bundle) - $31.46 (Includes Stellaris, Plantoids, Leviathans, Utopia).

The OP says that Utopia is a must-have DLC and Leviathans is really good, so I'm leaning towards that last one, but the problem is that Steam doesn't actually say what the difference is between the first three options. What's in Nova & Galaxy that's not in the basic $15.99 edition. Does anyone know?

In addition I suppose I need to get the new Apocalypse DLC for $20 making this a $50 game, which isn't a showstopper, but it's not super cheap!

So just looking for advice on which of those first four options I guess, since I don't really know what's in option 2 & 3! Hopefully someone here does.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Traxis posted:

The changes look good, but it's a shame I can't play until the UI mod gets updated because Paradox still thinks everyone games at 1024x768.

Wait... what? I have an ultra-wide monitor (3440x1440) - are you saying that the UI in this game will be broken if I get it and try to use my full screen?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

tithin posted:

The Nova & Galaxy edition just has an extra race option (spiders), the soundtrack, and some story book. Buy them if you really want to, but they don't include any of the "good" DLC recommended in the op.

Thanks, so the bundle pack to get the Leviathans and Utopia DLC is probably the way to go then.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Traxis posted:

The UI doesn't scale at all, so at that resolution you will need a magnifying glass to read anything. This is what it looks like at 3840x2160

That's fairly annoying. Thanks for the response... I'm downloading the game so I guess I'll see how horrible it is and whether I have to play it in a 1080p window or something.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Pylons posted:

From the sounds of things, you expanded a bit too quickly. Each outpost increases the amount it takes to research a tech or get enough unity to unlock a tradition.

Oh... well that would have been good to know a few hours ago. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

This may be somewhere in the thread, but it's moving so fast I could have missed it.

I'm brand new to this game, and so far it's pretty cool, but some things don't seem to make sense to me.

I am penalized for dropping outposts on every system by 2% on all my research (and maybe the unity thing too, not sure), but if I don't drop outposts on the crappy systems, they spawn pirates for infinity and beyond, and it would force me to camp a fleet in those systems or near them as rapid response units if I don't plop down that outpost. Is there a way around this, or is that just the mechanic.. either pay the 2% research penalty or get an infinite stream of pirates forming in that system?

----

I've just started hitting my first war, and there were stom strange things happening. I'm a robot/cybernetic dude who nobody likes and they instantly seal their borders when we meet (might have something to do with my 'assimilate or get purged' life philosophy, who knows). Anyway I found one of my neighbors that was completely sealed into a pocket, so I figured he would be a good group of meatbags to experiment on. I first claimed the closest 6 of his systems, and then I declared war. My only options were a 'claim' war or to 'humiliate' him, so I chose claim.

I ripped through his fleets and stations like a chainsaw through meatbags, and then asked for a 'status quo' settlement, which they agreed to, causing 5 of the 6 systems to immediately become mine, and with new borders, but the one system where he had a colony instantly flipped back to him, even though I had a starbase and all the other infrastructure, so I'm sort of confused about how to capture a planet.

Then, while we were in enforced truce after the war, he launched a huge fleet of warships, troopships, and science ships and just started sailing through my space as if my border wasn't there, zooming right past my fleet which refused to attack him, and right through my border chokepoint which had a giant deathstar of a starbase with a warp inhibitor... wtf.. Eventually, before the truce ended, all those ships wandered right back into his space and disappeared. So strange.

----------

So truce is over, so I declare war again and this time claim all the rest of his worlds, send in a giant swarm of corvettes and completely crush every ship and station he has left, flipping every single planet over to me... but he is still sitting there on his colonies. When I set my fleet to bombard, it says it will not kill the last 4 people on the planet, so I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to be doing now. According to my racial manifesto, I should be able to somehow assimilate these people and turn them into loyal cyborg dudes, but I've got no idea how... I don't have any tech that will let me blow the planet up either.

I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to make army dudes and send them over there, but I'd rather just bomb the planet into the ice-age, which seems like it should be fairly simple to do, but it won't let me, which is sort of strange given my racial traits, I'd figure that would be the default option.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Jazerus posted:

you must take planets with armies. once you've done that, you can go into the species screen, click on "set rights" for the species you've just taken over, and set their citizenship to "assimilation", which will slowly transform them into cyborgs

Thanks, time to figure out how to make armies!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah and you can also claim stuff *during* a war. Sudden got declared on by two different Federations and was like, ok sure. And claimed some stuff.

Also reposting this because I'm confused:

Why is my fleet not upgrading at this station? It's their home base:

And instead going through the wormhole one jump away to this station:

They both appear to have a shipyard, which I thought is all you need for upgrades. Same thing has happened with other fleets in the same position. No one will upgrade at the first station, even though it builds starships just fine.

I'll take a stab at it and blame the lack of that one building (in the bottom section) in your station that's not doing the upgrades (the umbilical something?). It has some text about allowing the computer to connect to your ships for upgrades or something.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I won my first war and then it took about 50 years to completely assimilate the meat-bags into our cyborg life and get the economy all straightened out, and how my machine nation has 9 colonies and 52 outposts and everything (research) costs like 220% extra! Wee...

My only other real neighbor was broken into 4 or 5 pieces by uprisings, so now I have nothing to fear at all in my corner of the galaxy, so I think I'm going to reboot this game, as I didn't have enough starting AI dudes for the size of the galaxy I made. I'm not terribly upset about it as it was a good learning game without a lot of beatdowns to keep me from advancing to see how things go.

The 'hump' was gotten over when I finished researching the IV and V level buildings for both minerals and energy.. makes a huge difference, ate up like 20k minerals just upgrading everything. Then I got another ascendency or whatever it's called and took Habitats and made my first one... drat.. all the wonders of a planet without the research costs... I think I might have to rush that ascendency in the next game if it's possible, and keep the empire smaller.

The year is something like 2380. I just found a system with 15 minerals, but it's another 8 or 9 systems away from my already bloated empire.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pretty sure Habitats still incur research costs. They're still a colony.

I thought for sure that my colony count didn't go up when I built it, but I'll build another one tomorrow night to test it for sure.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

My 'immortal' machines sure seem to stop functioning for some reason just as often as my meatbag/cyborgs die. Really annoying as it's always level 5 scientists of course. No real reason to choose the machine scientists over the cyborg ones when they actually 'live' about the same amount of time it seems.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Splicer posted:

I'd be (temporarily) satisfied if it just triggered the same "We're coming to blow up your poo poo, pay us not to" that spontaneous raiding does.

Heck, let me pay an annual protection racket fee so they can't pick me as a target and they'll not blow up my stuff on the way past to other people and I'll upgrade to "happy".

My solution for this is to set the Marauder slider to 0. Seems to solve all the complaints about this mechanic!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Oh and if you tell it to build an outpost from the starmap it will try to build one on every star in the system, I think it can only actually complete one of them though, I dunno how it would react if you left it to try and build two of them.

I assume it works just like mining/research things do. I assign two constructors to work a system at the galaxy map level, the first one will reserve the resources needed for all the stations. The second one will reserve the resources needed for all the stations -1 which the first constructor is already assigned to. As they work their way through the system and hit locations that the other constructor has already done, they give a report that 'cannot build station - resources refunded' and move to the next one. Works really well as long as you have a large enough resource (mineral) buffer to have about double the required resources reserved at the beginning.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Space monsters keep eating my science ships (well, two of them) and killing my immortal level 6 robot scientists. :argh:

One of them got whacked by a wandering blue wraith, and the other by some giant fiery spider creature that was eating a star... welp!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Downloaded the 2.0.2 beta and my saved game won't run.. it gets about 5 seconds in and crashes to desktop.. /sigh... Oh well, time to start a new robotic overlord empire I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Patrat posted:

I have found a lot of mileage in having a separate fleet that is entirely afterburner equipped corvettes and a 'Trickster' admiral for sublight speed and disengage chance.

They are not amazing in a straight battle but even if they lose that means very few ships actually destroyed and they are about 60% quicker than a more conventional force. Amazing for running around occupying systems, hunting down pirates, killing smaller raiding fleets, etc. Alternatively they can catch a fleet you are chasing down with one of your main kill formations and bog them down attempting to swat flies for quite some time whilst often inflicting disproportionate damage to their actual casualties.

This is what I did in my last game. I was up against some space monsters that could kick my rear end, and were blocking all continued exploration, so I was throwing stacks of 20 (my command limit at the time, very early game) AB corvettes at them, killing a few of their entities each battle before all 20 of my corvettes were defeated. Then a few months later 17 or 18 corvettes would magically appear at their home base ready to repair. Repair/reinforce, repeat, and I had 2 fleets doing that until I finally overwhelmed the space crystal beasts so I could continue to explore my galaxy.