Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Baronjutter posted:

There should be no combo of ethos picks that give mutually exclusive demands. If I'm militarist and I get some pacifist pops, sure, those are opposite ethos, but the factions that result from the official state ethos should never conflict.

If anything there should be more mutually exclusive demands actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Someone posted a mod a while back containing this flag icon: https://imgur.com/LCF5IlD

What mod was it, anyone know?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Awesome, thanks.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Splicer posted:

Oh god I just synthetically ascended and remembered why I avoid the synthetic and genetic ascensions like the plague.

Wiz and/or LordMune for the love of god please implement one or more of the following:
1) An edict or policy or species right to allow self modding. Every few months each allowed pop checks its current tile against the available templates, and if there's something that will increase their total yield they have a chance to go offline or jack up their cost of living or remove X from the relevant science for a month or so to morph into the new template.
2) Another button by "Resettle" to allow you to directly apply a template to a pop.
3) A way to select multiple templates to apply to one or more existing pops on one or more planets and have which one is applied to which based on likely tile increase.

The "build multiple" interface for buildable pops could probably be used for things like selecting multiple specific pops to modify/purge/whatever.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I don't have an answer, but considering how UFO abduction stories are the modern version of fair folk abduction stories, that's a cool idea for a custom empire.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Nalesh posted:

Anyone have a fun machine empire build for someone wanting to get into machine empires/hiveminds in general?

I was skeptical of gestalt empires in general until I played Rogue Servitors.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Nalesh posted:

What kinda traits would you pick?

Nothing particularly optimal.

Didn't write out the fluff, but the idea is that these little hobbit looking guys went ahead and built fully automated luxury gay space communism and then the part of the automation responsible for defending them became self aware due to space paranoia.

I don't actually know why I chose the bio-trophy traits I did but they're really bad from a minmax perspective. Since your bio-trophies are for pumping unity, only Communal is any good (happiness affects their yield). You also need to move them around a lot and would probably like them to grow into empty tiles too so, bad calls there on Sedentary and Slow Breeders. Traditional is an obvious good pick here.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

That game was actually kind of hilarious at one point and kinda shows off that 2.0 basically works pretty drat well. I had the UN on one side and some democratic crusaders on the other. Neither of them really liked me (Uncanny) but the DCs really hated me for "oppressing" my wards with unlimited pleasure dome cocaine and video games. I couldn't fight both, so the defense grid AI realized it needed a facelift to engage in diplomacy: robomodded Uncanny away and then got the UN to like me enough to not have to worry about them. Then built a bunch of defensive hell fortress starports at key chokepoints into DC space with a buffer of intentionally unkilled space monsters. When we eventually do go to war, the defensive line is so good that they sent fleets all the way around the galaxy and through UN space to hassle me. I had to get the UN off my back, but I couldn't exactly make them allies unfortunately.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Nightgull posted:

Could've sworn I saw someone in here post a screenshot of a Crusader Kingdom government type that was something like Imperial / Warrior Culture / Nationalistic Zeal. But I can't get that name to appear. Was it a mod?

It's this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=901988941

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Edit: nevermind, misread what I was replying to!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GotLag posted:

0.75x hyperlanes on a spiral galaxy really is the way to go. You get some wonderful space terrain, which leads to stories.

Honestly, I just keep finding it to be way too restrictive. I always get three non-intersecting series of hyperlane linked systems that snake all the way along the length of the arms.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So I love the fleet manager but I feel like it could use some improvements (or who knows, maybe these are already possible and I just don't know how).

1. A "copy template" button for if I want to make a new fleet identical to another.
2. A way to make a template out of a fleet as it exists in game and/or instantly update a fleet's template to match its current composition if there's a discrepancy.
3. A button to split out ships in a fleet but not included in the template. Example: a fleet has two destroyers, but I reduce the number of destroyers in the template to one. This button would remove one destroyer from the fleet attached to the template. I could then add it to another fleet, and update that fleet's template with what I mentioned in point 2 above.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Splicer posted:

Yeah, 1 on a four-spiral normal size is real good for me but .75 looks super dicey. Maybe they're playing on larger maps?

I tried using a bigger galaxy size and it seemed like the same thing would happen. Then again, who knows, maybe it's actually the same as how it works in an elliptical galaxy but more noticeable because it's squeezed into arms?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Splicer posted:

You can kind of do this. Reinforcing your fleet also kicks out any excess ships. You need to have something to reinforce to do it though.

Huh, this explains a few things I didn't understand.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

That reminds me of something else I noticed that was odd. I had my forward fleets based out of starbases that were mostly forts but had one slipway each so that I could upgrade the fleet without it travelling all the way to some other starbase. At some point, I think after I started building gateways to connect important systems, all my fleets would queue up to upgrade at one of these starbases. Like, the same one every time. It's not like the others were in use either.

Incidentally, I love wormholes and gateways. It's awesome that sometimes the fastest way across my empire is to go to the other side of the galaxy.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think fleets reinforce from their homebase regardless of where it is.

I don't mean reinforcement, I mean upgrading to new models. For most of the game they'd upgrade right where they were. Somehow it looks like adding a gateway to systems made traveling to some starbase on the other side of the empire seem like a more sensible way of updating than just using the slipway they were docked at...?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The AutoBuild mod does a pretty good job of automating tile usage so I really don't think it's an unsolvable problem.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Does anyone else kinda feel like Citizen Service should give you 1 defensive army for every 3 pops or something similar?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Magil Zeal posted:

Also, during my game yesterday playing as Rogue Servitors, I noticed something odd. Pirates would appear and then... not attack. I'd get the pop-up about pirates, so they were mine, but they'd just sit in the system they popped in and not do anything except defend their stronghold. Made them really easy to deal with but obviously not intended. Going to have to see later today if the patch changed things.

I'm pretty sure the same thing happened in my RS game but I figured they were intimidated by the hell fortress next door :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Magil Zeal posted:

Apparently so if they bother to reply.
nah

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

If there could be some way to stop pirates from spawning in systems where you have a construction or science ship actively doing something that would be wonderful.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Senor Dog posted:

Your robots shouldn't be using anything but the SPQR namelist anyways.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Would be cool if any design upgrade appended a "Mk. 3" or some poo poo maybe to the class name.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

There are few meaningful non-warfare interactions with other empires so unless you like SimCity in Space (which I do tbh!) peace is boring.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

That is very stupid, if you have a settled planet in the system its they who should be instantly annexed/integrated, not the other way around.

It's kind of amazing that a space age civilization wouldn't notice that aliens had built a honking big space station over their star and colonized another planet in the system. You'd think that you really wouldn't be able to avoid making contact at that point.

The old border system allowing for shared ownership of systems was clunky as hell but at least it could handle this outcome in a less ridiculous way.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Absolutely, along with more module options. Honestly I don't see why modules are separated into those two groups, or why I can only have one silo.

What I don't understand is why the highest level starbase doesn't give you 8 modules, the natural progression from the 6 that the next-to-last level does. It's so... awkward and underwhelming.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Taear posted:

I would think that a diplo focused update can't really contain a diplo DLC because what would you do that isn't going to utterly change the game? Wiz does say he's not going to make a sort of "two stream stellaris".

2.0 was "the war update" and its DLC had new toys for war that didn't change the game. But it's easy to see how that works because the war system has a number of discrete "toys" (policies, ships) associated with it. Diplomacy doesn't. That update would have to deepen the diplo system to the point that it makes sense to describe some kind of optional cool component of it as an expansion of existing ones (in the way titans and colossi are expansions of the existing ships).

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Taear posted:

I know, that's what I'm getting at. I can't think of what it would be.
Gating spies behind an expansion (for example) especially if they wanted to open it up with more updates later, seems unlikely.

Newer and more interesting strategic resources as trading items would have been my guess, tied to a new trade system in the patch that would make strategic resources way more interesting as a thing to develop and interact with other empires about. If the patch introduces an espionage system, then the DLC might include crazy and specific spy mission poo poo on par with the kinds of things colossi do.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

What I'd like to see is something like a galactic great powers system. Crackpot idea that's probably bad, I bet, but the idea is that becoming a great power should be attainable by advanced start or player-run empires by mid-game, although at start any FEs are automatically great powers. Being a great power gives you the option to indirectly intervene in wars between lesser powers, basically "betting on" one side or the other with material and economic support but without necessarily committing your own forces. If your "side" wins, you get a number of benefits in terms of influence or unity. So this makes FEs a bit more active in the early game and can set up Wars in Heaven if two FEs are consistently on the opposite sides of conflicts. For FEs, ethos would be the major reason to intervene - supporting empires with their core ethos basically - and when their side wins, their ethos gets a general boost to attraction. I bet if I thought about this more I could think of a lot of reasons why this is bad but right now it sounds cool to me.

eta: even better/dumber crackpot idea: something like a "defender of the faith" status, but for an ethos.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 23, 2018

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Taear posted:

Like in Victoria 2?
I found it kinda annoying and arbitrary there.

Yeah idk exactly how it would work. I only know vaguely how it works in V2.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The Assassination of Assimilators By The Coward Martin Anward

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I just want O'Neill cylinders and Bernal spheres and Stanford tori.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Autonomous Monster posted:

The starfish are easily the best of the cuties pack and it's not even a contest.

Wrong.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/978653605820620800

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Maybe you should actually have to move your colossus into enemy territory before they can do that, otherwise it seems unwise to escalate a conflict with a WMD-capable power unnecessarily.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I don't mind the tile system but I also wouldn't miss it if it went away.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Excitement about implications of the patch name aside, holy poo poo yes an anomaly log.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Alternately, pare back the degree to which the Spiritualist ethos is just a proxy for religiosity. At its core the ethos seems intended to be more about a very fundamental metaphysical stance (i.e., reality is not just material) but this presents as varying degrees of religious dogmatism. But I could easily see an Egalitarian/Spiritualist/Xenophile empire that has no single official church, and is instead radically ecumenical. They would like other Spiritualists for agreeing that there's more to the universe than meets the eye, but would probably not like a theocracy very much.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 17, 2018

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Eiba posted:

And it is presented as true in the context of the Stellaris universe. There are psychics. Materialists must at some point be forced to believe in the existence of the Shroud. But a being with an analytical mindset will never be able to measure or tap into that power.

Alternately, a Materialist will just Clarke's Law that poo poo away reflexively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Must-have can't-even-play-without mod discovered: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1362175551