Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

It's not just the overwhelming amount of blinking lights to track and fiddly knobs to turn that brought me down, it's having to engage with them all from day 1, as well a lack of feedback to help me learn.

Compare it with, say, Civilization. Civ starts off with only a couple of relevant resources to keep track of (food and hammers), and a small number of decision points (where to move your only warrior, what hex to work with your 1-pop city). It gradually introduces new mechanics (happiness, health, faith, great people, diplomacy, government policies, etc.), giving you time and space to master each new tool before adding more stuff into the mix. Just as importantly, it gives me both immediate (more food = visibly faster city growth) and regular ("you are 4th out of 12 civs in terms of culture") feedback on my decisions so that I can learn what works and what doesn't.

Stellaris, on other hand, gives me an incomprehensible spreadsheet and expects me to make decisions while doing its best to obfuscate the outcomes. Playing Stellaris as a new or returning player is like being plunged into a nightmare where you have to take an exam on a subject that you've never studied, except all questions are in a foreign language, and instead of a grade you get a passive-aggressive "oh, you know what you did".

A friend recommended Stellaris to me about a year ago. Installed it and noped out on the civ selection screen, just way too much going on and not enough time to deal with the steep learning curve. When Star Trek: Infinite dropped a few months ago, I thought it would be a good opportunity to ease my way into "Stellaris" through more tangible jargon I was already familiar with. After about 10 hours of ST:I, I felt like I had the game down and wanted a richer gameplay experience, so went back to Stellaris and am loving it. Nevertheless, I still get to the point often where it's just too much. I have close to 100 hours on Stellaris now and have barely gotten past 2300 on a given playthrough. I'll be in the zone for a few hours, log off for the night, come back a couple days later and...drat, it's just a lot. Pushing through with my current game because I really do want to finish one, just wanted to say as a fellow Civ guy I feel you totally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Still new-ish to this game, have still not gotten to 2500 yet but have put in a lot of hours.

Is it normal to get to a point where I can't keep track of what's being researched? The pop-up comes so often that I just start clicking techs because I know it'll be done in two minutes and I'll just have to click another one. Maybe time to up the difficulty?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Not for me. I lose track pretty often, even when it's important stuff getting researched.

That's where I'm at, sorry if I wasn't clear. I've gone from scrutinizing which tech to research to optimize play to "whatever, I'm gonna get to them all soon enough." Was seeing if this is a normal place to be in by midgame.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Probably time to start automating research the moment the popups get annoying, then. Also time to up the difficulty.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

For as granular and complicated this game is, armies and ground combat seem so simple as to make me think it was an afterthought.

Not complaining, there's plenty of levers to pull and knobs to twist already. I still don't even bother with custom ships, just use the default upgrades, feel like that'd open up a whole other universe of (possibly fun) tedium

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I've been having a lot of fun playing with calamitous birth. Make my rock folks radiotrophic and they can not only settle any habitable world but tomb worlds can have some economic bonuses, and slamming asteroids into planets is both fun and a nice way to save on alloys and consumer goods early when those are pretty tight.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I bought this game a long time ago and played a bit on and off without it really clicking for me, and recently decided to give it another go.

In my current game I've reached a point where I'm not sure what to do; All systems have been explored and more or less settled by now, I am in a federation with my slightly more powerful neighbour and that's about it.

I think I want to take over the entire galaxy - how much should I worry about the empire size modifier?

Riffing off of this--in the exact same situation, fully explored galaxy and 2nd most powerful civ in a federation--is there any way to overtake my superior neighbor in points in a peaceful way? I don't necessarily dislike military stuff but it gets really tedious (especially when I'm leading the federation and there's too many diddly fleets to gently caress with) and I'm just a turtler by nature.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Splicer posted:

What year is it?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

As a relative newcomer to Stellaris I just grabbed all the DLCs, including Astral Rifts, and have been playing with them. Reading the last several posts has me contemplating disabling AR for my next game, because yeah, the drawbacks really do outweigh the benefits in my opinion. The full resource notification when I can't spend any of the resource yet is really, really, loving annoying.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

partially to prevent my founder pops from winding up on the slave market.

What's the mechanical effect of this? I've been getting a lot of notification spam about my founding species being on the market, but I can't tell if it has any effect? My planets are all high stability, pops are happy enough. My ethics are fanatic militarist and spiritual.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

FurtherReading posted:

I've been playing Knights of the Toxic God and while I love the flavour I'm having a terrible time trying to get my economy going properly. Does anyone have any good tips on how to get off to a decent start?

I'm playing it for my first time, and all I can say is hope you have amiable neighbors so you're not having to sink alloys into war right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Paracausal posted:

I did that thing where I started up and spent all my playtime making 3 new species and not actually 'playing' anything with them. Kinda not sure what kind of game I want my next one to be.

This was me last night, too.

ConfusedUs posted:

When a major new DLC drops I usually delete all my custom empires, except a few favorites, and make a bunch of new ones.

I generally make 10-20 custom empires and aim for a wide spread of ethics. I prefer when they spawn over rando empires.

And this will be me tonight.

Also, is there really no way to disable addons without just deleting the files? After the expac install my game kept crashing after loading 100%. Restarted computer, problem persisted; un- and re-installed the game, problem persisted. Finally reasoned that it was three addons I had, but there was no obvious way to disable or removed them? Googling the issue returned several different things to do, none of which were applicable to how the game interface currently works. I'm all good now, but am flabbergasted there's no "disable mod" option that I can find.