Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Just posting to be on the ground floor of this amazing thread (title).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Contacts tells you how many colonies an empire has. Is there any way to see how many systems they have? (other than counting)

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Dongattack posted:

I feel like i read in a dev diary or something that we got the ability to increase the "size" of planets in this expansion, did i dream that up? I'm sitting here looking at some not ideal prospects of 12-16 size planets and if i can increase their size later i should probably colonize some of them.

It's the Ascension Perk "Mastery of Nature". 33% discount on clearing blockers + increase size of planet edict.

New: my science ship got amoeba'd but my scientist survived? He went back to the pool.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Davincie posted:

how do i actually add new designs to a fleet. i click choose design in the fleet manager, i click on a design but nothing happens. also trading food seems impossible, nobody wants to give me any

Having the same issue with fleet manager - anyone found the workaround?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So when you reinforce a fleet with multiple designs, and you can afford only one (but any design), does it prioritize the more costly ones, the most powerful ones, or?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

What's the title a reference to? Other than Wiz and the death of the warp drive, of course.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What happens with system ownership when you technological enlightenment a pre-ftl civ? Do they get ownership of the outpost? What if you have a colony in system?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

It's really difficult/complex (in a good way) to balance expansion and consolidation; systems have tons of resources now and you always have that 10 mineral system just 2 jumps out from your borders so you must claim it. In the meantime there's 25/30 of each resource unmined within your borders. Then you add stations and colonies into the mix, and it gets even more complex.

It's a really different feel, the game start. A great patch/expansion!

Questions: what does a starbase require, in order to be "dockable" by a fleet (i.e. repairs/upgrade and lower maintenance while docked)? Just the first upgrade, a shipyard? How many shipyards do a fleet upgrade/repair occupy? Is it always the one, regardless of size?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Soup du Jour posted:

Wiz I just encountered my first empire, they’re neighbors, and they are the exactly the same color as me. For the love of god

e: what the gently caress they’re Life-Seeded too

Do they have the same portrait as your species but with goatees? :tinfoil:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Artificer posted:

In the launch trailer, is that the Commonwealth retaliating for the UNE's loss of Earth by gutting one of the planets of the starfish aliens that blew Earth up?

In my headcanon the UNE became/splintered into the Commonwealth following the Apocalypse.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

My first playthrough as the UNE, and the very first empire I meet is the starfish assholes from the trailer.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Some fixes incoming

Among the things they are looking at:

quote:

-processing-type purges not working properly
-marauders raiding your territory without the ability to pay them off
-4k screen resolution issues
-issue with upgrading ships deleting their experience level
-some time-based anomalies not giving enough time to complete with the new travel times

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Is there a hard cap on science penalty from outposts? Or is it 1% per, forever?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How does everyone balance new outposts vs. mining stations in current systems?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Generally I would suggest trying to fill out your systems before you expand, systems are very rich now and you need to keep building research at least to keep ahead of the expansion costs.

Yeah my first playthrough there was always a better system to claim, ended up backfilling way after the first 50 years.

What about colonizable planets, do you still wait to fill your systems or beeline for those?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Is there a formula for "How many more Physics/Engineer/Research points do I need to counteract system/planet/pop penalty" ? Or even just a rule of thumb?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Anyone else getting the fartbox anomaly/project all the time? My current game I'm in 2239 and I have had it already 4 times.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Try as I might, I can't brain how to manage the fleet manager.

I have 2 ship types: Corvette and Destroyers. Each has 2 designs: Torp and autocannon CVs, PD and Plasma DDs. I have a Fleet template fully built with 10 Torp CVs and 10 Plasma DDs. I want to change that to 5 of each.

So I reduce the amount of each existing design to 5, add the 2 other designs and raise the quantity to 5 each. What happens is I get a Fleet with 10/5 Torp CV, 10/5 Plasma DD, 0/5 Autocannon CV and 0/5 PD DDs.

How do I get that to be 5/5 for each design? Do I have to manually remove the extra ships from the fleet? Where do I do that? Can I remove 5 of the Plasma DDs, retrofit the other 5 still in the fleet, then merge again?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

I just checked to see how to best do this and what I come up with is this:

Set your fleet to the intended layout.
Split off the excess ships from your old fleet - this will create a new template with the split off ships.
Use the fleet manager to retrofit the split-off ships to their intended designs.
Merge them back into the main fleet.

It's a little complicated because you're adding a new design to the fleet and you want refit some of the existing ships but not all of them.

This worked perfectly, btw - thanks!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Not sure if it's new, but I completed the Irassian chain and the homeworld was spawned into a new system that wasn't there anymore, it just created a hyperlane from one of my border systems. Didn't it use to be an existing system?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The Assassination Of The Fix To Forced Status Quo By The Coward Martin Anward

Wiz, on the Paradox forums, posted:

We're not making this change in the hot-fix. It will be part of a larger post-update patch addressing balance.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Just downloaded a 6.7MB patch :siren:

Yep, it's 2.0.1 now.

quote:

Fixed processing/grid amalgamation/livestock purge types being broken
Fixed a bug where a fleet split from its parent would forget the previous hyperspace jump and get stuck in systems with FTL inhibitors indefinitely
Fixed several out of sync bugs in multiplayer
Fixed some missing/broken localization in various languages
Fixed upgrading ships wrongly having their XP deleted
Fixed some UI visibility issues on certain screen resolutions
Fixed misleading costs displayed for building mining/research stations
Fixed Admirals being unassigned from a fleet during combat
Fixed FTL inhibition effect not being removed when you downgrade a starbase

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 27, 2018

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Lum_ posted:

This was pretty annoying! Glad it's fixed. Still nothing for fleet builder weirdness though (I suspect it's related to how it interacts with auto-upgrading ships including the 3 you start the game with).

Did the war exhaustion changes go in this patch?

Nope, it's getting its own patch rather than a hotfix.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I think they fixed timed events too, got an asteroid sighted within 8 jumps of my fleet and could get there in time.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Thanks to good advice on how to interpret the battle reports better I'm starting to get the hang of ship design a bit more.

If you find the time to make an effort post about this, I feel it'd be a good candidate to be included in the OP.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Undocumented (I think) change to fleet manager: when you hit reinforce fleet and you have too many of a certain design, it will automatically detach those extra ships and create a new fleet template with the leftovers

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Just explored my first wormhole as UNE and the other end is in a pathetic, one planet/10 systems civ, who's like 3 tech levels behind me and maybe a fleet cap that's 1/4th of my fleet strength; I suspect they were a pre-FTL that randomly evolved to space age at some point. They're 10-15 jumps away from any other empire, so they were happily claiming their territory unimpeded.

Naturally, I brought democracy to their space and claimed + conquered half of it in a quick war.

Thinking about it from their point of view: they're a newly spacefaring race who's just begun to expand and looking to colonize, when one day out of that strange wormhole out comes an invasion force with impossible numbers and technology, and subjugates them. I was their end-game crisis.

Stellaris is really good, you guys.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

numptyboy posted:

I wish there was some sort of built up to stuff like pirates. Whenever they show up they always seem to be 50percent stronger than my fleets combined.
If they got that powerful by being ignored by the player then I'd rexpect that something poo poo happens. I quite like the dangerous anomalies and advanced cultures events but these pirate events feel forced and like a mandatory speed bump to roll the player back. That's another thing that I don't like is the ai fleet sizes, they always seem to be massive compared to mine.

I think you must be doing something weird with fleets - my pirates are always roughly equal to one of my fleets (with poo poo design), so about half my naval capacity. What difficulty are you playing on?

Also, it took me 240 years to figure this out: you can build defense platforms on non-upgraded outposts. That helps with pirates, a lot.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The automated dreadnought rocks but keep it in its own fleet:

1) It's slow as poo poo
2) it has a Jump Drive

Also - not sure if this changed with 2.0 but Uplift is back to being doable in an owned system again, not neessary to colonize the planet anymore.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What's the green 92 number in my fleet display?

I get that I have 56 ships out of 90 planned in the template. What's 92 stand for?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

* Increased energy upkeep of all Starbase sizes by +1. Outposts now cost 1 energy maintenance

Nooooo

* Changed the current value of template designs in fleet manager to show the current amount of ships including ones that only are scheduled for retrofit

Yessss

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Taear posted:

I wonder if it works with existing saves?

My save still works. My energy balance went to minus 110, but my Unity shot to one and a half completed (think I was 25% done pre-patch)

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The unity buff is really noticeable. I went to having 160 months to the next level, with about 20% done, to one level done and 20% towards the following one, with a 40 months wait to the end. It not only became additive but also 1% rather than 2% per system.

I am not sure if I was already this high but my mineral income is +650 now, and I could have sworn I was at +300 earlier. If anything, it solves my energy problem at least.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I really like the change to militarist ethos. Having reduced war exhaustion makes much more sense, thematically, and is less boring / more useful than "+ army damage"

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Ugh, I opted into the 2.0.2 beta and the loving Enigmatic Fortress is STILL resurrecting every ten days while the Situation Log refuses to let me actually begin the special projects. Is it just absolutely hosed for pre-beta saves or am I missing something here?

I had the same thing. I just chose the various options as they popped up, the only choice you need the situation log for is the initial step (blow up the airlock or power surge); it will repower every 10 days but you will get the next stage (if you choose the options right) every 30-60, so just park a fleet on top of it, with a science ship orbiting, and the reborn fortress gets instagibbed every time. Your situation log will also fill with the first step, just ignore it.

Also, it will stop repowering once you finish the chain and claim the system.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I think the only bad weapons this patch are fighters and PD/Flak. I have a fleet of torpedo corvettes and double afterburner cruisers that really works well for occupation, zipping around flipping outposts and catching reinforcements/damaged fleets, while the 2 other "standard" fleets take care of the battles and planets.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Jazerus posted:

i played it yesterday, and i'd stick with 2.0.1 until they fix the bug in the beta that makes traditions too cheap - which is worse than the status quo in 2.0.1 where they're too expensive, imo.

Wait, where does it say it's bugged? I thought they just fixed the multiplicative/additive issue, and made each system worth 1% rather than 2% penalty. Isn't that working as intended?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New beta build:

quote:

###################
# Feature
###################
* Added event that lets countries with a Chosen One become a Divine Empire
* Adjusted fleet formations so that titans try to position themselves more in the middle of a fleet and avoid face-tanking the enemy
* Grasp the Void ascension perk has been added to the game. It increases starbase capacity by +4
* Increased max starbase capacity to 100

###################
# Balance
###################
* AI Empires now gets pirates
* Normalized unique Leviathan building costs. Ether Drake Shrine, Dragonslayer Monument, and Stellar Devourer Trophy now all cost 800 minerals and take one year to build
* Post-Apocalyptic civic starts with a more balanced home world, because even Max Rockatansky cannot live on gasoline alone
* The "Scout" Admiral trait will now first appear after Gravitic Sensors tech has been researched
* Global Pacifier and Neutron Sweep can now be used to neutralize Prethoryn infested worlds
* Added a 20 year cooldown before the AI can hire a Marauder raid against the same target again
* Increased combat disengage chance for Titans

# Traditions
* Fleet Levies now makes all subject (not just vassal) Pops count towards overlord's naval capacity instead of giving a fraction of vassal naval capacity (as the latter resulted in getting huge amounts of naval capacity from techs of 1-system vassals)

# Ascension Perks
* Executive Vigor effect on edict duration reduced from +100% to +50%

###################
# Bugfix
###################
* Fixed being able to build Trading Hubs in primitive systems
* Defense platforms that are over cap are now deleted when downgrading a starbase
* Unless a megastructure is set to be built outside gravity wells it MUST have a planet set to be built
* Description texts for the exterminator civic updated to reflect ship build cost
* Colony ships now also get reduced ship cost if there is a modifier for it
* Fixed a bug where tradition cost did not increase per planet, but rather cost per system twice instead
* Fixed issue where Prethoryn Defeated happiness modifier was not applied to militarists correctly
* Fixed a crash when sorting the war logs more than once
* Crashfix when trying to send a message that couldn't be created
* You can no longer stop the building of other empire's robot
* You can no longer save a ship design if that name is already used by a ship design for another ship size
* Fixed a bug where polytechnic education tradition effect did not match tooltip
* Fixed so that expansion traditions adopt bonus is now the same for all types of empires, instead of using the old value for hive minds and machine empires
* Contingency sterilization hubs can now be properly neutralized by World Crackers and Global Pacifiers
* Fixed species being able to spawn with Serviles trait
* Fixed Colossus and Containment CBs not being correctly applied
* No longer possible to lose a rival you're at war with due to strength differences

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 6, 2018

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The assassination of AI bonuses by the Coward Martin Anward

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/971683187540799488

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

* Wormholes and Gateways are now taken into consideration when checking if empires are neighbors

:getin: