Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

blugu64 posted:

the only thing to be elitist about in ham radio is getting the best license, i.e no-code extra, and then talking smack to advanced class guys.
Also having the biggest antenna

everyone doesn't live in unincorporated buttfuck ark where you can just raise a mast whenever you like. I think that gives the right wing hams some advantage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

ok all this radio poo poo might be fun but are you allowed to talk about anything other than pork products

for international conversations we are supposed to keep it to "discussions of technicals and remarks of a personal nature". this is how the Soviet Union had millions of hams hint: it was a training system that could freely talk to the US in the Cold War

Inside the US, pretty much anything is fair game. there are 'nets' (organized meetings on the air) of hams that talk about hiking or RVs or whatever they're interested in! the key is to reach out and find people with like minded interests and show them how the hobby can enhance it. You don't teach ham radio operators how to be mountain climbers, you teach mountain climbers how to be ham radio operators

Gazpacho posted:

Also having the biggest antenna

everyone doesn't live in unincorporated buttfuck ark where you can just raise a mast whenever you like. I think that gives the right wing hams some advantage

this is a thing, yes. The biggest signals on the HF (long range shortwave) bands are the retired white engineers that a: can afford and b: are ok with 160 acres of shithole Kansas farmland. That being said there are many ways that little guys can play ball, and those white engineers are straight up dying off at epic rates

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I got my general license immediately before I moved to a new building which has a cell base station literally next door, so the noise floor on HF makes it practically impossible. I told MY GIRLFRIEND that if she finally gets around to picking up her tech license, I'll get her a swanky DMR rig so she's into it now.

Competitions can be fun too - I mounted a UHF antenna to my car and dominated the rover category, since most people sit at home trying to whip their yagi around while I'm sitting in a car racking up grid squares like a boss.

btw ham radio is good in NYC since you can tune your handheld to the MTA's net and find out that you're gonna be late to work because someone got hit by a train.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

trophy needs the ham

yeah we had a big massive thread but i melted down and assume it ate archives. anyways probably better to start fresh.

YES, HAM RADIO
its fun and good to get your license
radios can be expensive, but can also be cheap now
there is tons of cool data poo poo to play with if you are mic shy. i send slow scan TV pics with communist propaganda and trans heroes to the old men that send statue of liberty pics and pinups

the best thing to stop old white engineers from dominating ham radio is to get your license and start talking about what you want to talk about instead of FEMA camps or whatever

lots of people in the Bay Area get a ham license to help with what used to be called “civil defense,” eg disaster response

that’s why my wife decided to do Ham Cram, I joined in because hey, ham license, and I could finally do the packet radio stuff I’ve been fantasizing about since I was 11

I just got a pair of HP serial analyzers (one 4952A and one 4957A, they were a package deal) on the cheap in case I want to do more protocol reverse engineering, they should work great for ham stuff since they can do both RS-232 and X.25

also they’re adorable

eschaton fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 27, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
even if i didn't live in a shoebox and even if i weren't more interested in making music i wouldn't bother with ham because i got into shortwave radio right before the USSR fell and within very few years the only thing to listen to in english was jesus 24/7 and i'm kinda burned by that experience

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

OldAlias posted:

why do you have to be like this

stymie is a verb

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I feel like I could get into ham but I already have enough hobbies

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
who is saying haim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgJ_zxYYTeA

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Silver Alicorn posted:

I feel like I could get into ham but I already have enough hobbies

you could probably get some discount ham at the hock shop

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

i used to love poo poo like this when i was a kid but then i had to work a job where i had to answer phones and now i have too much sympathy for the marks

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Corla Plankun posted:

is it just extroverts palling-aroudn with their bros on the waves or is there more to it than that?

extroverted autists in their 70s

hope you like talking about dogs, right-wing politics, and the merits of carter hall vs prince albert

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dsyp

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

flakeloaf posted:

you could probably get some discount ham at the hock shop

oh for gently caress's sake

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hope you like talking about dogs, right-wing politics, and the merits of carter hall vs prince albert

yeah I’d probably pass on ham conversations myself mostly cause of this

it sounds cool and all but then I’d have to listen/converse with people like that so nah

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
ham is scary militia people, the real backoods cleetus poo poo

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I have a police scanner and I'm gunna have to gently caress with it because the city just bought a new helicopter

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I have a police scanner and I'm gunna have to gently caress with it because the city just bought a new helicopter

*downloads a police scanner app* now I have one too what do you have to say to that huh???

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

My Linux Rig posted:

*downloads a police scanner app* now I have one too what do you have to say to that huh???

listen to it, poo poo is crazy

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i love listening to the police scanner when they go "ten four we gotta colonization going on the native land, shots gonna be fired on some imperialist rear end"

oh wait that doesn't happen they just shoot minorities for being poor

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
cool post

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

is neat but mostly depressing and sometimes interesting or crazy. if you’re listening over an rtl sdr then you might need a second or to reference another source to get a fix on the signal as it bounces around otherwise

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I hosed with shortwave and that was fun. I picked up vietnam radio once, and one time I picked up a call to prayer that was fading in and out from gently caress knows where

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

my dad was into radio. was a DJ and all that stuff, but also did at-home shortwave crap. didn't have an antennae but had wires all over the house connected to his radio.

he threatened to kill us!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

graph posted:

give trophy the ham

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

also i can't believe you people are still tolerating stymie

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
stymie owns

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

son,

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

you've been away awhile

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Corla Plankun posted:

is it just extroverts palling-aroudn with their bros on the waves or is there more to it than that?

jonny 290 seems to really like it and so do a lot of other cool nerds but maybe im missing out on the buzz because im an introvert that would rather not talkt to anyone except computer

we used to listen to the cosmonauts on mir on my friends dads ham radio back in the 90s, was cool as heck to 12 year old kwinkles

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
beepboop come in kiwnkles

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

My Linux Rig posted:

yeah I’d probably pass on ham conversations myself mostly cause of this

it sounds cool and all but then I’d have to listen/converse with people like that so nah

i was being snarky. the joke had a germ of truth: actually conversing on your local repeater like it's irc is generally not that great

sitting with a long-range radio and trying to make brief contacts w/ faraway HAMs is a lot of fun. ham meetups / groups can also be a lot of fun. and of course, fuckin dayton is a hell of a thing. the world's biggest god drat swap meet for radio / computer / electronic gear. it is a sight to behold. (just try to ignore the smells)

in short, staying focused on the technical poo poo is where the joy is found

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rotor posted:

some people even quote stymie now

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

honey baked ham is good

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rotor posted:

stymie has his (her?) moments

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

SmokaDustbowl posted:

one time I picked up a call to prayer

the 'adham

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfM6Ymr2ea0

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
stymie was always quotable about 1% of the time but after putting in some serious forums squats we're at like 10-15%

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

George posted:

stymie was always quotable about 1% of the time but after putting in some serious forums squats we're at like 10-15%

don't quote stymie

do give Trophy the ham

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rotor posted:

I wouldn’t say we’re tolerating him, Bob James

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

My Linux Rig posted:

if you are on iOS go download La Vue

http://lavueapp.com

good ambient chill background sounds

• Locked thread