Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Haha, yeah the tax issue worries me a bit. I am also escaping to the EU but through university education instead of a job for now. In the future I’m definitely hoping to find a job, but the tax issue is really confusing and I’m starting to worry about it now. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Once you are fully settled and financially comfortable, do you plan on buying a boat? Seems like you should own a boat if you live in NL

Aidan
Jan 29, 2001
My friend gave me a $100 visa gift card but wasn't sure if it was good or not, and I couldn't think of a better way to test it than buying myself an avatar. If you're reading this, I'm about to spend $95 on sweet sweet groceries.

Earwicker posted:

Once you are fully settled and financially comfortable, do you plan on buying a boat? Seems like you should own a boat if you live in NL

We moved here with 5 bags--after 8 months, we're finally approaching a minimally complete household. Buying a boat isn't on the 5 year plan yet-- but hmmmmm.

We don't even have bikes yet we were going to buy them last week, but given the weather, we decided to delay a week or two.

As an aside, I've walked 2900 km since July. The only reason I want a bike is for intra-city trips. Amsterdam is incredibly walkable--we've walked 48km in a day here, although 10-15km a day is more normal (48km hurts the next day).

Aidan
Jan 29, 2001
My friend gave me a $100 visa gift card but wasn't sure if it was good or not, and I couldn't think of a better way to test it than buying myself an avatar. If you're reading this, I'm about to spend $95 on sweet sweet groceries.

Xun posted:

Haha, yeah the tax issue worries me a bit. I am also escaping to the EU but through university education instead of a job for now. In the future I’m definitely hoping to find a job, but the tax issue is really confusing and I’m starting to worry about it now. :v:

If you have any specific questions, feel free to throw them in here!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Aidan posted:

We moved here with 5 bags--after 8 months, we're finally approaching a minimally complete household. Buying a boat isn't on the 5 year plan yet-- but hmmmmm.

We don't even have bikes yet we were going to buy them last week, but given the weather, we decided to delay a week or two.

As an aside, I've walked 2900 km since July. The only reason I want a bike is for intra-city trips. Amsterdam is incredibly walkable--we've walked 48km in a day here, although 10-15km a day is more normal (48km hurts the next day).

yeah I find biking within Amsterdam (or any big city really) kind of tedious/stressful and would rather walk or take the tram, but biking around in the Dutch countryside and small towns is loving amazing. there is a huge stretch of dunes between Katwijk and the Hague that is pretty much just empty wilderness except for bike/horse paths and the occasional WW2 ruins, it is a really cool place to explore

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 5, 2018

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Have you had a kroket uit de muur yet?

Aidan
Jan 29, 2001

Earwicker posted:

yeah I find biking within Amsterdam (or any big city really) kind of tedious/stressful and would rather walk or take the tram, but biking around in the Dutch countryside and small towns is loving amazing. there is a huge stretch of dunes between Katwijk and the Hague that is pretty much just empty wilderness except for bike/horse paths and the occasional WW2 ruins, it is a really cool place to explore

That was our 48km walk actually...we started at the edge of Leiden and walked to the sea, up to katwijk, and then back down to Leiden. Seeing Rotterdam and Den Haag in the distance from a the top of the 68m dune (for Americans, that’s equivalent to roughly 8,000 feet) was pretty cool.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Aidan posted:

the 68m dune (for Americans, that’s equivalent to roughly 8,000 feet) was pretty cool.

that is a cool dune but it's definitely not 8000 feet! that would be an actual mountain.

68m is like 220 feet. the tallest "mountain" in the whole of the Netherlands is only like 1000 feet

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
my people are from the Dutch Alps and I will have you know that Vaalserberg is 1,057.75 feet high

Aidan
Jan 29, 2001

Earwicker posted:

that is a cool dune but it's definitely not 8000 feet! that would be an actual mountain.

68m is like 220 feet. the tallest "mountain" in the whole of the Netherlands is only like 1000 feet

Shhhhh

Aidan
Jan 29, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

my people are from the Dutch Alps and I will have you know that Vaalserberg is 1,057.75 feet high

Kyoon knows what I’m talking about.

Aidan
Jan 29, 2001

Fragrag posted:

Have you had a kroket uit de muur yet?

Nee nee nee meneer.

My wife had a window prostitute though...and then a second 30 seconds later because the first one didn’t get the job done.

For some reason, koket uit de muur made me think of that.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
For anyone else interested:
If you have a recent master's degree from a halfway decent university, you can come live in the Netherlands for a year without even having employment figured out beforehand, and you can just look for work after you arrive.

https://ind.nl/en/work/Pages/Looking-for-a-job-after-study-promotion-or-research.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Do not forget to file your FBAR, my dude.

• Locked thread