Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CubeTheory posted:

I personally feel like anime used to be an outlet for creative writers and directors to tell stories they couldn't tell without animating them due to budget concerns.
i personally feel like anime used to be cool before women started making it

CubeTheory posted:

the anime fandom, a demographic that didn't exist nearly as much 30 years ago.
then what was the otaku murderer case in 1988 about

also what was daicon 3.

CubeTheory posted:

I feel that the further you look back the more you are going to find shows that are good and populist without necessarily being pandering to the anime demographic.

noted non pandering show, love hina.

in conclusion, op, do not listen to the olds who tell you that only old anime is good or that there are more good old anime than recent anime. they are liars and cheats. all anime is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

I think this is why so many people like to point at older animes like Cowboy Bebop as shining beacons, they feel wholly original in a way a lot of newer stuff does not.

People point to a lot of these older animes because theyre both things that got a lot of posters here into Anime when they aired on western TV and have stood the test of time so theres a level of resonance and safeness in the recommendation (I'm not condemning that, by the way)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
official old here to say, it's ok to watch new shows and skip all that old crap if you want

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

You should watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes since you started your anime journey in the Trump thread and I feel it's the most relevant anime to the origin of your ride here!

OP should watch all 4000 eps of Doraemon

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018

Namtab posted:

There's no way op hasn't heard of pokemon

I've certainly heard of Pokemon.

Digression, but I attended a web development bootcamp. Many of our projects were to query and manipulate data from databases. And, often, we used as an example, a database of pokemon. That's about the extent of my exposure to pokemon and, in that context, it really added to my confusion during the course. Lol. Lots of little turtle dudes fighting lizard dudes. It oddly didn't compel me to jump into the genre.

PS: Let me tell you one day why not to attend a web development bootcamp.

PSS: Let me tell you to save your money, take Harvard's CS50 instead, learn some basics of object-oriented programming, pick up C#, Java or the like, profit, and watch anime instead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bogoodski posted:

watch anime instead
see you're already learning

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Trigun would probably be a good followup to Cowboy Beebop. Outlaw Star would be another good choice.

Namtab posted:

Watch k-on and discover the greatest genre, slice of life

Actually watch Azumanga Daioh instead because it's not bad.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

anything made after 2004 is peepeedoodoo XD

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

C.M. Kruger posted:

Trigun would probably be a good followup to Cowboy Beebop. Outlaw Star would be another good choice.

I'll cosign and add Baccano! to this list of suggestions, it is a good show about alchemy, the mafia, and people with awesome and/or hilarious names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msg8ypnLqaw

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Namtab posted:

Watch k-on and discover the greatest genre, slice of life

I know that this is just your gimmick to recommend k-on everywhere but the OP talked about art earlier and K-on's background art is genuinely top notch.

I mean, it's not similar to Cowboy Bebop in any other way besides that, as far as I'm aware, but still.

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat
Remember to watch the Cowboy Bebop movie after you're done the series.

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018
In this thread and the few other places I've mentioned it, I keep seeing baccano mentioned. So, I might try that next. For now, I'm just gonna continue with Bebop but if I do expand out, I think that'll be the direction. Based solely on it being commonly recommended. Quite the burden of culpability you've all assumed!

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018

u sp33k l33t br0 posted:

Remember to watch the Cowboy Bebop movie after you're done the series.

THERE'S A MOVIE?!?!?!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

bogoodski posted:

THERE'S A MOVIE?!?!?!

There is; I don't care for it as much as the series but if you treat it like a 4 part episode it's alright.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Calvin Coolposts posted:

I'll cosign and add Baccano! to this list of suggestions, it is a good show about alchemy, the mafia, and people with awesome and/or hilarious names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msg8ypnLqaw
I'm actually watching Baccano! for the first time right now. To be honest, I'm not in love with it; it's got too many moving parts and the dialogue feels kind of over-written in a way where you can tell it's adapted from a series of novels. Also, to be honest, the violence is very graphic. It's a bit much for my personal tastes. But I can't hate a show that is as buck-wild crazy as Baccano!

Baccano! Pop Quiz:

You are a Baccano! character. Please circle one or more entries that best describe you:

a. some kind of evil alchemy monster
b. named 'Jaccuzi Splot'
c. a serial killer
d. a criminal with a heart of gold
e. an extremely snappy dresser
f. a 1930s mafioso, see?
g. completely bugfuck insane

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 27, 2018

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

bogoodski posted:

In this thread and the few other places I've mentioned it, I keep seeing baccano mentioned. So, I might try that next. For now, I'm just gonna continue with Bebop but if I do expand out, I think that'll be the direction. Based solely on it being commonly recommended. Quite the burden of culpability you've all assumed!

Baccano is pretty fantastic so I'll recommend it

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
How about Turn A Gundam if you ever want a longer show? It's 50something episodes of strange, off-kilter giant robot fun and Tomino wackiness! It was the first anime that I introduced my girlfriend to and she loved it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This is a really cool idea OP

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Quick non-anime aside: "P.S." stands for "post script", so the more post scripts you add on, the more Ps you add!

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Quick non-anime aside: "P.S." stands for "post script", so the more post scripts you add on, the more Ps you add!

Wow. Now that I've actually verbalized "PSS", I realize how goofy "post script script" sounds. But it has a rhythm to it and now I can't stop saying it.

I'm going to bed.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

C.M. Kruger posted:

I once attempted to get somebody into anime by suggesting Trigun. He completely poo poo on me after the first ep because, in fairness, Vash is an pretty obnoxious protagonist for somebody who isn't already anime as hell to digest. It's a pretty solid show if you can get used to Vash's excitableness though.

I mostly just lurk this forum, but as an anime old I decided this looked like a good thread idea and I even have some suggestions! Macross Plus is a four part OVA (think of it as a two hour movie split into four episodes) from the mid 90s and I have always thought of it as a good "first anime" for sci fi fans. It's part of the Macross franchise, but you don't need to know anything about it to understand the story presented in Macross Plus - it is about three characters in a love triangle / rivalry relationship that just happens to use a military test program for transforming fighter jets as the backdrop. At two hours it's pretty compact and focused on the main plot. It also has an excellent soundtrack by Yoko Kanno, who later went on to compose Cowboy Bebop's music. Also rad as hell jet planes that transform into robots and the Pink Floyd concert of the future.

It's been suggested several times already but Ghost in the Shell would also be a good choice. The 1995 movie is legitimately a cyberpunk genre classic and the early 2000s Stand Alone Complex TV show is also really solid as show about cyborg cops who track down conventional criminals and unconventional terrorists with lots of moral grey areas. Somewhat coincidentally, Yoko Kanno also composed the music for GitS:SAC. Don't worry, she's not the only person who makes music for these things! She just happens to have worked on some really good shows whose music I liked.

For something more recent and not in the sci fi vein, there's Devilman Crybaby on Netflix. Yes, it's a remake of a 45 year old show. It diverges pretty greatly at points though, and modernizes it pretty well while still retaining most of the original's infamous climax. It's also got great music, trippy visuals, and some unfortunate/amazing ideas about how devilmen run. Might want to avoid watching it with small children or people who are easily upset by hyperviolence.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Endorph posted:

i personally feel like anime used to be cool before women started making it

What I posted was quick opinions, rough feelings I have that I even qualified as possibly being nostalgia driven. I can't be entirely sure, but if this is supposed to paint me as some sort of sexist, then uh, go gently caress yourself? If not, I apologize for the bad words.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

bogoodski posted:

Wow. Now that I've actually verbalized "PSS", I realize how goofy "post script script" sounds. But it has a rhythm to it and now I can't stop saying it.

I'm going to bed.

It's 2 am and now I can't stop saying "post script script script script".
Yeah, bedtime

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
I started a similar journey last summer. I wasn't entirely new to anime, having watched some of the late-80s movies when they first came to the UK, and also having watched Tiger Mask W weekly from its premiere.

I felt I needed some episodic but short drama to fill a gap, and with western shows running 40+ minutes it seemed that anime would do just that. Coming from a wrestling angle, I asked noted anime fan and pro-wrestler ACH for a recommendation on Twitter and he threw up My Hero Academia, which I devoured.

From that point I was hooked, and watched Cowboy Bebop and Attack On Titan as my next two series, before diving into a whole load more. I'm now watching 8 shows weekly from the current season!

I wish I'd done a thread like this at the time, and I'll be following along!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

CubeTheory posted:

This argmuent has already began so I'll throw in my poor opinion:

Anime like Cowboy Bebop that is quite a bit older, to me, has a very different feel from a lot of stuff that is produced today. This is partially because I am an old man who liked stuff from when I was young, but also because anime as an industry has grown and changed in the last 30 years. I personally feel like anime used to be an outlet for creative writers and directors to tell stories they couldn't tell without animating them due to budget concerns. I fully believe Cowboy Bebop would work 100% as a live action show with an appropriate budget. I feel like a lot of anime produced today isn't made with story intent first, but with the intent of selling to the anime fandom, a demographic that didn't exist nearly as much 30 years ago. This isn't to say that their aren't fantastic shows that break this mold airing right this very moment, but it certainly feels like there is a lot more anime being produced right now and that the large majority of it is pandering to a particular fan base. I think this is why so many people like to point at older animes like Cowboy Bebop as shining beacons, they feel wholly original in a way a lot of newer stuff does not. Not to say their isn't a ton of trash from the early 90's as well.

I would suggest the following guidelines when choosing what shows to watch from here on out, but honestly just do what you want:

- Watch popular shows - Anime has been around for a long time and the shows that are popular tend to be popular for a reason. I feel that the further you look back the more you are going to find shows that are good and populist without necessarily being pandering to the anime demographic.

- Watch genres you already have an affinity for - Like others have said, anime isn't a genre so much as it is a style which represents myriad genres. If you like comedies, or action movies, or dramas, you can find any of those things in anime, and these are the things you'll probably gravitate to.

- Be willing to step away - Anime ranges such a wide spectrum of different genres that some shows being suggested to you by a lot of people on an anime forum might actually be a very niche thing you won't find entertaining. If you watch a few episodes (around three) and the show just isn't clicking, just walk away, there are tons of other shows to watch.

Aside from all that stuff, I'm excited to see how you enjoy Bebop. It's a fantastic show, keep posting!

https://twitter.com/azurehisui/status/790244068374810625

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Occasionally ADTRW is like the old guy where I work who kept trying to tell me there was no good music made after the 70's

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Srice hasn't posted here in months

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

superLINUS posted:

I started a similar journey last summer. I wasn't entirely new to anime, having watched some of the late-80s movies when they first came to the UK, and also having watched Tiger Mask W weekly from its premiere.

I felt I needed some episodic but short drama to fill a gap, and with western shows running 40+ minutes it seemed that anime would do just that. Coming from a wrestling angle, I asked noted anime fan and pro-wrestler ACH for a recommendation on Twitter and he threw up My Hero Academia, which I devoured.

From that point I was hooked, and watched Cowboy Bebop and Attack On Titan as my next two series, before diving into a whole load more. I'm now watching 8 shows weekly from the current season!

I wish I'd done a thread like this at the time, and I'll be following along!

I'm sad you didn't! Just finished Tiger Mask W earlier in the year and it would've been cool to see some other takes on it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

Occasionally ADTRW is like the old guy where I work who kept trying to tell me there was no good music made after the 70's
That's nonsense.

There's no good music made after the 80's.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

That's nonsense.

There's no good music made after the 80's.

Wrong, unless you mean the 1880s. :smugbert:

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
It seems like most of the recommendations you've been getting have been for action shows that could air on Toonami. There are a lot of good shows fitting that description, but anime has a lot more to offer than that, so I'm going to suggest something in a completely different direction: A Silent Voice (Koe no Katachi). It's a film about a very human struggle with self-loathing and trying to make amends, and I think it's a great example of some of the other things anime can excel at.

Also, IMO: be very skeptical of anyone who says that only ancient shows are worth watching. Tons of great anime are being produced right now, in so many different genres and styles.

I don't think there are many good reasons to recommend Trigun in 2018. For as long as I can remember, it's been always mentioned in the same breath as Cowboy Bebop, but the two shows couldn't be much further apart. Vash is a loud and insufferable protagonist (much like my posting), half of the show is wasted on bad Cliche Anime Humor that isn't funny (again, my posts), and the art looks like the cels were left to melt in someone's car for a year. There are so many fantastic newer anime to discover before going there.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Things I didnt say: Only old shows are worth watching, all new shows are bad, they should only watch action shows, that old shows are better than new shows,

Things I did say: The anime industry has grown and there are a lot more shows now and a lot of the ones that rise to the top are built on 30+ years of iteration and tropes and feel less populist to me and I feel more off putting to someone unfamiliar with anime. I was suggesting what I felt was a decent launching point for people coming from no anime at all.

Also, as far as I know there are less shows about loving your little sister in the early 90s.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

CubeTheory posted:

Things I didnt say: Only old shows are worth watching, all new shows are bad, they should only watch action shows, that old shows are better than new shows,

Things I did say: The anime industry has grown and there are a lot more shows now and a lot of the ones that rise to the top are built on 30+ years of iteration and tropes and feel less populist to me and I feel more off putting to someone unfamiliar with anime. I was suggesting what I felt was a decent launching point for people coming from no anime at all.

Also, as far as I know there are less shows about loving your little sister in the early 90s.

your posts are loving awful, please stop trying to poison his mind

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Character archetypes didn't exist before K-On.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the "anime is so impenetrable" thing seems dumb to me now, after seeing new fans consistently jump into basically whatever is new and enjoy it, regardless of what experienced fans think of its accessibility.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

things you shouldn't recommend to people new to anime: anime-gataris i guess?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

CubeTheory posted:

See, if you don't understand how what you're doing here is incredibly off putting for someone new to anime then please step back and think about it some more. Also there is just as much good stuff being made now as there was in the past and I can guarantee you weren't aware of the bad stuff in the past.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Aurora posted:

your posts are loving awful, please stop trying to poison his mind
Be the change you wish to see in the world

Recommending all-around beloved classics, such as Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, or School Days is not unreasonable for a total newbie. Once he's gotten his hooks into some of those, branching out is totally cool. Or he could jump on a more "recent" series that was widely praised, like Tiger and Bunny, or The Eccentric Family, or March Comes In Like A Lion. Or dozens of others, really. But starting off with top shelf stuff is fine, especially genre-defining works. Though once he's gotten into Legend of the Galactic Heroes, he may never be able to appreciate another anime again...

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

let's name all the old anime that have lots of women in them vs all the new anime that have lots of women in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Recommending all-around beloved classics [...] School Days

gently caress off lol

• Locked thread