Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
You should watch Madoka Magica, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

there is plenty of newer anime available that are top shelf and better than logh, gits, and the bad epic shock ending school days

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Aurora posted:

let's name all the old anime that have lots of women in them vs all the new anime that have lots of women in them
dirty pair has two women in it, right

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Aurora posted:

your posts are loving awful, please stop trying to poison his mind

I posted my feelings without attacking anyone and tried to explain why I felt this way. I qualified everything as how I feel and even said the op could do whatever they wanted it didn't matter that much, and lets be clear my bolded advice was watch popular stuff, watch genres you already like, and use the three episode test. None of those things seem in any way controversial.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Aurora posted:

there is plenty of newer anime available that are top shelf and better than logh, gits, and the bad epic shock ending school days
my friend you post a lot and of dubious quality, perhaps you should consider lower quantity, higher quality. Thanks.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

here's my list of 9s off MAL that I would personally recommend right here and now:

sound! euphonium
little witch academia (the show)
the idolmaster: cinderella girls
haikyuu
flip flappers

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Who knew that this would be the thread to bring ADTRW's simmering grudges to the surface. Sorry OP, we're all idiots here

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

CubeTheory posted:

I posted my feelings without attacking anyone and tried to explain why I felt this way. I qualified everything as how I feel and even said the op could do whatever they wanted it didn't matter that much, and lets be clear my bolded advice was watch popular stuff, watch genres you already like, and use the three episode test. None of those things seem in any way controversial.

posting that the 90s has less incest is so loving dumb dude, and literally saying the opposite of what you said when you said 'i never said there was more good old anime than good new anime'

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

my friend you post a lot and of dubious quality, perhaps you should consider lower quantity, higher quality. Thanks.

your posts are incredibly bad. legitimately loving don't recommend some newbie school days. Thanks in advance.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

StandardVC10 posted:

Who knew that this would be the thread to bring ADTRW's simmering grudges to the surface. Sorry OP, we're all idiots here

suggestion: take the slap fight here

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Everything Burrito posted:

suggestion: take the slap fight here

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

StandardVC10 posted:

This, I'm not going to derail to defend my opinions anymore. Sorry OP, please enjoy anime it's very good.

Some shows to check out I think are very good and very anime: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Azumanga, Chihayafuru, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Aurora posted:

here's my list of 9s off MAL that I would personally recommend right here and now:

sound! euphonium

little witch academia (the show)

the idolmaster: cinderella girls

haikyuu

flip flappers

here's those 9s again, for emphasis

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

CubeTheory posted:

Watch genres you already like doesn't make much sense for people who have only seen one show ever.

Three episode test is more aimed at people who are following new seasonal anime where the quality is unknown. In general for existing shows that are good you can probably know if a show is for you or not after one episode, unless someone tells you there's a definite shift after three episodes. (And those I typically won't recommend to a newcoming)

'Watch popular stuff' is dubious, given there isn't a lot of good places for finding out what is 'popular'. A lot of the popular stuff on things like MAL are gigantic time investments or ongoing shonen series. For instance, FMA, Gintama, Attack on Titan, Sword Art Online, Clannad AS, I'm not sure I'd recommend any of those, even when I like them.

I'd kinda suggest for newcomers to anime to watch 1 shortish, good series across each of a spread of genres. Watch a Ghibli movie, watch Dennou Coil, watch Ping Pong, watch Hyouka, watch TTGL... Something like that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also make them watch a Yuasa show/movie

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im sorry your thread became the battlefield of the endless slapfights of this forum op

anyway your profile implies you are ex military with an interest in politics so you should check out flag
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1299/Flag

and logh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i love you, op.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love the OP and his courage in continuously posting about his anime adventures in the trump thread in D&D regardless of what the truly terrible posters there say against him.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Hello dude. I got into anime about 3 years ago because of a little game called Persona 4 and knew absolutely nothing about it other than Dragonball and Pokémon which I watched as a kid. I think this is a good idea for a thread and am interested to see where your anime journey takes you. One of the things for me that makes anime series more enjoyable for me than, say, western media is that it generally ends after 13 or 26 episodes and has a contained and full story. If a western show gets popular you know that poo poo is gonna be dragged out for as long as possible. This isn’t the case with anime generally outside of the mega popular shonen series which does go on forever. So I’ll just say watch whatever sounds most interesting to you whether it be a new or old show. If you are looking for recommendations later I’d be more that happy to give some though my tastes more skew towards talky dramas that focus on character development. Cheers.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I love the OP and his courage in continuously posting about his anime adventures in the trump thread in D&D regardless of what the truly terrible posters there say against him.

Ah, rip

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
since the OP may not know and take my not entirely serious post earlier deadly seriously, and some posters got mad about it, I should elucidate that Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a high quality show, and Ghost in the Shell is also a high quality show, and School Days is not a high quality show and should be avoided! Please do not watch School Days. Some googling would likely have shown you why quite quickly, but this is just in case. Thanks and gobbles.

edit: watch the stephen universe anime that endorph's avatar is from next, OP.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 27, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This thread got me listening to the Bebop OST again. There's so much amazing music in that show.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I dunno, when I first started getting into anime, I just tried a little bit of everything and watched more of what I liked. I remember browsing the video section of the local library or video rental store. I recall watching Azumanga Daioh just because the library had the DVDs and it looked kind of cute. Some shows I just got into from seeing AMVs and being like "Hey, the animation looks pretty neat, let's try this!". Try a scattershot approach and sample a little bit of whatever seems to strike your fancy - even if it's like a Google search for "top most popular anime". If something starts to seem skeevy, stop watching! Enjoy yourself!~ :sun:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My introduction to anime was seeing Akira late one night on the SciFi channel. I started renting stuff from the local video store after that, but it was mostly trashy poo poo like M.D Geist, Genocyber, etc and occasionally stuff like Crying Freeman, Perfect Blue, etc

I was in middle School for most of this btw. My parents thought they were just cartoons

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

StandardVC10 posted:

This.
Sorry bud. Keep on chugging! Looking forward to the next few episode reviews later this week :)

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018
Though the point of this thread is for me to sorta selfishly share my own thoughts and reviews, I’m happy to see that it has generated spirited discussion. So long as the general context remains anime, I don’t really mind where the tenor of the thread’s discourse goes. I’ll keep posting reviews 😊

In that context, I will only point out the sweet, sweet irony that anime was recommended to me as a diversion from the world’s antagonism and, yet, my first discussion of it has generated antagonistic debate.

As an outsider, I will say that the vigor in which some points are being expressed here and the fans' passion that it reflects, makes me think that the anime at the source of it must be pretty good to warrant that sort of emotion.

Okay, since recommendations are coming in, I might as well tell you about my preferences. Though, to say that I have preferences is really a stretch. Seriously, I’m bookish to the degree that I’m uncomfortable even mentioning it because I sense it comes across as obnoxious. I seriously have not watched a single television series with any consistency in a decade and couldn’t tell you the last move I went to see. I listen to CNBC on TuneIn; it’s literally that bad. Haha. So, I can’t stress how out of character this step into anime is for me. In that sense, I’m probably open to anything, but to provide the most modest of guidelines, I’ll say I probably only have one basic rule:

I definitely want something that requires emotional investment. I’m one of those “go big or go home” type of people, and I don’t really do anything just “in passing” (I can’t even post on a message board concisely; clearly!), so I think I want a show that leaves me emotionally fatigued at the end of each episode. So far, Bebop has been pretty successful at doing that. Though, the more intensity in that regard, the better. (Also, as a glimpse of my next review, this sentiment is why the Ballad of the Fallen Angel was so compelling to me while episodes six and seven, which seemed more emotionally moderate in nature, were less so).

What I’m trying to say is: You can’t make me cry! And I hope your recommendations take that as a challenge.

Thanks for the guidance and discussion.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Alright let's go with School Days then!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pretty curious to learn how you'll feel about the episodes that lean very hard into comedy.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

drat dude you're pretty cool

also if you want more emotional stuff, sound! euphonium is probably the biggest of the ones i recced, though cinderella girls has a lot of emotional payoff too, and haikyuu has a fair bit too. (it's a sports anime)

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
If you want something with lot of emotion and also you like sports and want something you'll only find in anime, check out Chihayafuru.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Haikyuu FTW.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Haikyuu FTW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPxDiyVmZ6c

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

bogoodski posted:

Though the point of this thread is for me to sorta selfishly share my own thoughts and reviews, I’m happy to see that it has generated spirited discussion. So long as the general context remains anime, I don’t really mind where the tenor of the thread’s discourse goes. I’ll keep posting reviews 😊

In that context, I will only point out the sweet, sweet irony that anime was recommended to me as a diversion from the world’s antagonism and, yet, my first discussion of it has generated antagonistic debate.

As an outsider, I will say that the vigor in which some points are being expressed here and the fans' passion that it reflects, makes me think that the anime at the source of it must be pretty good to warrant that sort of emotion.

Okay, since recommendations are coming in, I might as well tell you about my preferences. Though, to say that I have preferences is really a stretch. Seriously, I’m bookish to the degree that I’m uncomfortable even mentioning it because I sense it comes across as obnoxious. I seriously have not watched a single television series with any consistency in a decade and couldn’t tell you the last move I went to see. I listen to CNBC on TuneIn; it’s literally that bad. Haha. So, I can’t stress how out of character this step into anime is for me. In that sense, I’m probably open to anything, but to provide the most modest of guidelines, I’ll say I probably only have one basic rule:

I definitely want something that requires emotional investment. I’m one of those “go big or go home” type of people, and I don’t really do anything just “in passing” (I can’t even post on a message board concisely; clearly!), so I think I want a show that leaves me emotionally fatigued at the end of each episode. So far, Bebop has been pretty successful at doing that. Though, the more intensity in that regard, the better. (Also, as a glimpse of my next review, this sentiment is why the Ballad of the Fallen Angel was so compelling to me while episodes six and seven, which seemed more emotionally moderate in nature, were less so).

What I’m trying to say is: You can’t make me cry! And I hope your recommendations take that as a challenge.

Since you don't have any particular preference, my suggestion would be that once you're finished with Bebop is to try something completely different every time so you get a kind of sample platter of anime, though I think it's a bit early to give out specific recommendations right now.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

bogoodski posted:

Erased is a good and easily-accessible choice that's part time-travel thriller and part family drama and starts with a strong hook. 12 episodes.

Also, I mentioned it in passing earlier, but Madoka Magica is a really tightly-written fantasy horror story with a ton of heart to it, striking surreal visuals, and a fantastic soundtrack. Its bubbly surface appearance is intentionally very misleading (and I don't think it's a spoiler to reveal that). I'm pretty sure it will manage to make you cry. Also 12 episodes.

Aurora posted:

drat dude you're pretty cool

also if you want more emotional stuff, sound! euphonium is probably the biggest of the ones i recced, though cinderella girls has a lot of emotional payoff too, and haikyuu has a fair bit too. (it's a sports anime)

These are all solid and Sound! Euphonium is especially extremely good Anime Prestige Drama

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
If you like sad stuff keep on your old fart favorite tear with Neon Genesis Evangelion. (definitely pick it over Madoka, also)

If you're gonna watch anything Ghost in the Shell you should start with the 1995 movie.

Someone recommended watching Yokohama Shopping Trip (YKK) and highly agreed but it really deserves to be read instead.

Kaiba's good for the sad stuff. So is Devilman Crybaby, though it's probably my least favorite Yuasa overall. It's all on Netflix though which is convenient.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

bogoodski posted:

Challenge accepted.

Watch Sweetness and Lightning.

It's subbed, not dubbed - but it's very very very good and pretty emotional.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

DisDisDis posted:

Someone recommended watching Yokohama Shopping Trip (YKK) and highly agreed but it really deserves to be read instead.

Also, that was me. ... Obviously.
lol.

The OVAs are very good and very chill - not gonna lie the sad, chill tone at the end (and that ED song) made me cry 'cuz I'm a huge wuss.
The manga is a literal work of art that deserves to be slowly read and the art absorbed on a warm summer night on a porch with iced tea cafe au lait in hand.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

DisDisDis posted:

If you like sad stuff keep on your old fart favorite tear with Neon Genesis Evangelion. (definitely pick it over Madoka, also)

eva is also one of my all-time faves and a great recommendation but what the heck dis

RME
Feb 20, 2012

they're saying Eva is good (and it is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
They got compared a lot back when I was watching them and I think NGE's the better show. I have zero affection for either one at this point though so. Every animation fan should see EoE at some point though.

• Locked thread